Who was the best IJN admiral of WW2?

What it says on the tin.

The IJN had some very fine commanders (Ozawa, Tanaka, Mikawa) and some idiots (Nishimura), as well as some people in the middle (Nagumo, Kurita, Kondo and possibly Yamaguchi). Who was the best at their job?

Adm. Jisaburo Ozawa in my unexpert opinion, his decoy operation against Adm. Halsey during Leyte Gulf was very well done, despite his carrier force having few to no planes at that time thanks to the Battle of the Philippine Sea.

Definitely Ozawa. Had he been in command of the KB from the start of the war, he could have been a game changer for Japan. Obviously they're still going to lose the war, but having him in command instead of Nagumo could have added six months to a year to the war and made it much more painful for the United States

To his credit, Ozawa would never speak about the actions of his fellow admirals during Leyte Gulf in post-war interviews.

Personally, I think Tanaka Raizo was the best. He handled IJN light forces with great élan, and he knew when to retreat. Even then, he still had a lot of fight. Look how his ships devastated the US cruisers at Tassafaronga while withdrawing. In my opinion he was one of the scapegoats of the Guadalcanal campaign, and the high command beached him, first in Singapore then in Burma. But what was he to do in the face of an enemy with a growing numeric and technological advantage backed up by the industrial might of the United States? I think it's better for the USN that he didn't have a role the battles around Leyte Gulf.

Mikawa Gunichi was a great tactician, and his penetration of Iron Bottom Sound and subsequent bombardment of Henderson Field and Fighter 1 without detection by US aerial reconnaissance on the night of 13-14 November 1942 was one of the great feats of Japanese seamanship of the war, in my opinion even overshadowing his victory at Savo. However, he couldn't avoid Allied airpower at Bismarck Sea. But Mikawa understood the Solomons campaign in a way his superiors did not. He knew the IJN was pouring men, ships and resources into a battle it couldn't win. But he fell out of favor as well, becoming another Solomons scapegoat and got assigned to backwaters.

My thoughts,

Nagumo will probably always be remembered as that star player that missed a crucial field goal(to use american terms)