White Djibouti, a realistic majority white state in Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ban
in 1945, Djibouti had less then 70K people
it is very feasible that France could have deported this tiny population to neighbouring Ethiopia and Somalia
this population could have then been replaced with French settlers
forming a majority white place in Africa
how would it develop?
would it become independent or remain French?
what would it's culture look like?
would there be black insurgents trying to take back Djibouti?
if it did become independent, what would its relations with the rest of Africa be like?
what would its relations with Israel and South Africa be like?
what would its relations with the rest of the world be like?

And basically every colony we are aware of, the desire for cheap exploitable labor won out over the desire for racial homogeneity

Point of Pride? I sincerely doubt that the French populace would settle in large numbers. Algeria was there and already had an established community

How is the land like in Djibouti? Sounds like a money pit
Esp if whites expect western standard of living
I just don’t see it as viable , unless French establish a giant military base there with intention to rival US in influence over oil trade.
If French are prepared to adopt to local customs of camel raising herding and living off the land it will not be worth it.

How about a penal colony ? Maybe a lot of expelled Germans and Vichy French after ww2

Last edited:
How is the land like in Djibouti? Sounds like a money pit
Esp if whites expect western standard of living
I just don’t see it as viable , unless French establish a giant military base there with intention to rival US in influence over oil trade.
If French are prepared to adopt to local customs of camel raising herding and living off the land it will not be worth it.

How about a penal colony ? Maybe a lot of expelled Germans and Vichy French after ww2
a penal colony would work well
its main value is strategic, similar to Singapore

Genkou

Banned
Colonialism didn't work in the way your proposing it did.

It was a reality of people on the ground forming their own communities or businessmen investing into regions.

Top down colonialism rarely happened, Israel is the only example I can think off. Compare this to India or South Africa or Indonesia, it was private companies, or New England it was pilgrims etc.

a penal colony would work well
its main value is strategic, similar to Singapore
Eh even if it’s value is strategic not many Europeans would want to settle there due to low standard of living. using your Singapore example there isn’t many Brit’s that actually lived in Singapore like at all. Since well Singapore is a pretty shit place to live with overcrowding and lots of slums back than.

Also penal colony is way out of date for a late 19/20th century style colonialism lol

Genkou

Banned
Eh even if it’s value is strategic not many Europeans would want to settle there due to low standard of living. using your Singapore example there isn’t many Brit’s that actually lived in Singapore like at all. Since well Singapore is a pretty shit place to live with overcrowding and lots of slums back than.

Also penal colony is way out of date for a late 19/20th century style colonialism lol
Other than Russia I suppose. 🥶🥶🥶

Other than Russia I suppose. 🥶🥶🥶
Russia is kinda the exception though. And Australia as well. Penal colonies went out of style in the late 19th century for the most part since the focus is instead on resource extraction not actual settling (mostly)

france actually had a penal colony in French Guiana till 1953, one being set up in Djibouti isn't that big of a stretch

Yes, France would technically have the mean to conduct such an en masse deportation. But to paraphrase a popular movie, "You were so preoccupied with whether you could, you didn't consider if you should".

Firstly, sending settlers to colonies is an primarily seen in the New World. Outside of there, sending settlers to colonies is not done, with the sole exceptiona of Australia and New Zealand. Even within the Americas, it wasn't done because the empires wanted to change the demographics of the colonies. The main goal of a colonial empire is to reap money from the colonies and to secure resources. Settling wasn't part of the equation. To achieve these goals, labour is needed. Most empires were willing to let the new world natives be the backbone of the colonial economy... until disease and war decimated them. So the colonialists had to find people to emigrate en masse to the colonies to fill the gap. In North America, this lead to many European settlers coming to find jobs. In Africa and Asia, there existed a native population, so there was no need for anyone to settle en masse. So I don't see why would do such actions in the first place.

But I shall oblige with your OP. Since you mentioned 1945, I'm going to assume the plot to deport the natives occurs in the period immediately after WW2 to about the mid 50s.
Two ways this could play out, pre of post NATO.

Pre-NATO
Somewhere in the mid to late 40s, France plots to deport the population of Djibouti. There's just one problem with deporting the Djiboutians to the neighbouring lands; one of the neighbours would be British Somaliland. British colonial authorities there would be among the first to know of France's plans. The British government would then be informed. For several reasons, the Brits would formulate their response. The response being: a brief, undeclared war to kick France out of Djibouti. I know this sounds like ASB, but bear with me. Reasons why the UK would intervene:
1. Simple humanitarianism- there would be those concerned that France is conducting a campaign of demographic replacement of an African population
2. The colonial authorities do not want to deal with a refugee crisis.
3. France is militarily weak- France had yet to recover from getting clobbered by Germany. The empire at this point is only really held together by the French colonial troops. Given France is deporting a native population, I'd imagine there would be a few mutinies among the colonial army and the local law enforcement, furthering weakening the already weak French control.
4. Monopolizing British influence along the African coast of the Red Sea- This reason is the most important of all. In the aftermath of WW2, the UK had a lot of influence on the African coast of the red Sea and Horn of Africa. There's the aforementioned British Somaliland, British occupied Eritrea, and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan where there was direct influence. Egypt, with a large Red sea coastline and the Suez Canal, had a pro-British king. So even though Egypt was independent, the UK still influence there. The only other competitor on the African continent was France. So kicking them out would expand British control along this major body of water.

So Britain would use France deportations as casus belli and start an undeclared war. This war is likely to end within about a week with the UK taking full control over Djibouti. In addition to the weak ground forces, another reason this war would be over so quickly is the massive naval difference. After WW2, France simply didn't have a navy, and the UK, even though bankrupt, was still known for its naval prowess. The UK could easily blockade Djibouti and prevent any French reinforcements and supplies, however they might arrive, from entering.
The UK would then incorporate Djibouti into british somaliland. As with the rest of British somaliland, it becomes part of Somalia

Post-NATO
Obviously the UK can't just attack a NATO member, so it would have to do something else. And that something else involves Nasser. Given Nasser would opposed to France in Djibouti and his open intent to nationalize the Suez, the Brits go him with a proposition, they would back him in kicking out France from the Suez Company and turn the venture into an Anglo-Egyptian run company. The two would then issue an ultimatum: France is to stop the deportations and accept all the refugees returning or lose access to the canal. The US, having an anti-colonialist worldview, would back the UK and Egypt. The USSR being anti-imperialist would also back the two, but mainly Egypt. Faced with such pressure, obliges.

Aftermath
French-UK relations obviously deteriote. This saga would be used among the many justifications France would use in threatening to leave NATO. It would set relations back a few years and won't be until the 70s when they get fully repaired.
Interestingly, this may cause the Suez Canal crisis to not happen. France, because of its bad relations of the UK and/or no longer having a stake in the Suez company, do not want to participate in any military action with the UK. Without France, Israel might call its quits. All alone, the UK negotiates with Nasser for a buy-out instead of being kicked out.

Last edited:
Yes, France would technically have the mean to conduct such an en masse deportation. But to paraphrase a popular movie, "You were so preoccupied with whether you could, you didn't consider if you should".

Firstly, sending settlers to colonies is an primarily seen in the New World. Outside of there, sending settlers to colonies is not done, with the sole exceptiona of Australia and New Zealand. Even within the Americas, it wasn't done because the empires wanted to change the demographics of the colonies. The main goal of a colonial empire is to reap money from the colonies and to secure resources. Settling wasn't part of the equation. To achieve these goals, labour is needed. Most empires were willing to let the new world natives be the backbone of the colonial economy... until disease and war decimated them. So the colonialists had to find people to emigrate en masse to the colonies to fill the gap. In North America, this lead to many European settlers coming to find jobs. In Africa and Asia, there existed a native population, so there was no need for anyone to settle en masse. So I don't see why would do such actions in the first place.

But I shall oblige with your OP. Since you mentioned 1945, I'm going to assume the plot to deport the natives occurs in the period immediately after WW2 to about the mid 50s.
Two ways this could play out, pre of post NATO.

Pre-NATO
Somewhere in the mid to late 40s, France plots to deport the population of Djibouti. There's just one problem with deporting the Djiboutians to the neighbouring lands; one of the neighbours would be British Somaliland. British colonial authorities there would be among the first to know of France's plans. The British government would then be informed. For several reasons, the Brits would formulate their response. The response being: a brief, undeclared war to kick France out of Djibouti. I know this sounds like ASB, but bear with me. Reasons why the UK would intervene:
1. Simple humanitarianism- there would be those concerned that France is conducting a campaign of demographic replacement of an African population
2. The colonial authorities do not want to deal with a refugee crisis.
3. France is militarily weak- France had yet to recover from getting clobbered by Germany. The empire at this point is only really held together by the French colonial troops. Given France is deporting a native population, I'd imagine there would be a few mutinies among the colonial army and the local law enforcement, furthering weakening the already weak French control.
4. Monopolizing British influence along the African coast of the Red Sea- This reason is the most important of all. In the aftermath of WW2, the UK had a lot of influence on the African coast of the red Sea and Horn of Africa. There's the aforementioned British Somaliland and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan where there was direct influence. Egypt, with a large Red sea coastline and the Suez Canal, had a pro-British king. So even though Egypt was independent, the UK still influence there. The only other competitor on the African continent was France. So kicking them out would expand British control along this major body of water.

So Britain would use France deportations as casus belli and start an undeclared war. This war is likely to end within about a week with the UK taking full control over Eritrea. In addition to the weak ground forces, another reason this war would be over so quickly is the massive naval difference. After WW2, France simply didn't have a navy, and the UK, even though bankrupt, was still known for its naval prowess. The UK could easily blockade Djibouti and prevent any French reinforcements and supplies, however they might arrive, from entering.
The UK would then incorporate Djibouti into british somaliland. As with the rest of British somaliland, it becomes part of Somalia

Post-NATO
Obviously the UK can't just attack a NATO member, so it would have to do something else. And that something else involves Nasser. Given Nasser would opposed to France in Djibouti and his open intent to nationalize the Suez, the Brits go him with a proposition, they would back him in kicking out France from the Suez Company and turn the venture into an Anglo-Egyptian run company. The two would then issue an ultimatum: France is to stop the deportations and accept all the refugees returning or lose access to the canal. The US, having an anti-colonialist worldview, would back the UK and Egypt. The USSR being anti-imperialist would also back the two, but mainly Egypt. Faced with such pressure, obliges.

Aftermath
French-UK relations obviously deteriote. This saga would be used among the many justifications France would use in threatening to leave NATO. It would set relations back a few years and won't be until the 70s when they get fully repaired.
Interestingly, this may cause the Suez Canal crisis to not happen. France, because of its bad relations of the UK and/or no longer having a stake in the Suez company, do not want to participate in any military action with the UK. Without France, Israel might call its quits. All alone, the UK negotiates with Nasser for a buy-out instead of being kicked out.
I mentioned 1945 since it was the earliest demographic data

If we talking about "realistic white" majority in Africa

How about Libya and Namibia who are sparkly populated and even OTL plan with European settlers into the colony in the future

Last edited:
Do they rename it as part of the settlement? Instead of Djibouti maybe Le Derrierre? (cue rimshot)

Last edited:
I mentioned 1945 since it was the earliest demographic data
Well considering Djibouti's population is 1 million now, France would have had to act several decades ago in order to try to make it a white settlement.

For starters, I simply cannot see any French government from the mid 50s to 60s even trying this for various reasons.

If you say before WW2, my pre-NATO scenario still applies with exception of France being weak.
Both the UK and France gained their Somalilands around the same time. So if France starts deporting the Djitboutians, the UK would once again be at the forefront of this and they would likely go to war again to stop France.
In this case, Italy existed as a competitor in the Horn of Africa. So the UK would have greater incentivie to remove France from the region.

Obviously this is going to be a harder fight but the UK could still manage it come out victorious. The UK's navy could score some quick victories and put France down a beg or two from the start. Another reason why the UK would eventually win goes to how French Somaliland was formed. French Somaliland was formed as an umbrella group within the French empire for various protectorates. Unlike with other powers, protectorates under France were in name only, and France violated their treaties and turned the somaliland protectorates into an effective colony. If France resorts to deporting the locals, the many rulers can turn to the Brits to protection. The UK would not only oblige but also give out arms to the locals. So France would not only be fighting the Brits but also the locals armed to the teeth with British weapons. Since France would be violating their own treaties by deporting the Djiboutians, other European powers would turn their back on France.

All of this results in a treaty with the Brits and the locals: guaranteeing the latter's stay in Djibouti, the transfer of sovereignty of the Djibouti, and the access of French ships to Djiboutian ports.

I mean it could have realistically done this in like the 1890's when no-one would care
Well considering Djibouti's population is 1 million now, France would have had to act several decades ago in order to try to make it a white settlement.

For starters, I simply cannot see any French government from the mid 50s to 60s even trying this for various reasons.

If you say before WW2, my pre-NATO scenario still applies with exception of France being weak.
Both the UK and France gained their Somalilands around the same time. So if France starts deporting the Djitboutians, the UK would once again be at the forefront of this and they would likely go to war again to stop France.
In this case, Italy existed as a competitor in the Horn of Africa. So the UK would have greater incentivie to remove France from the region.

Obviously this is going to be a harder fight but the UK could still manage it come out victorious. The UK's navy could score some quick victories and put France down a beg or two from the start. Another reason why the UK would eventually win goes to how French Somaliland was formed. French Somaliland was formed as an umbrella group within the French empire for various protectorates. Unlike with other powers, protectorates under France were in name only, and France violated their treaties and turned the somaliland protectorates into an effective colony. If France resorts to deporting the locals, the many rulers can turn to the Brits to protection. The UK would not only oblige but also give out arms to the locals. So France would not only be fighting the Brits but also the locals armed to the teeth with British weapons. Since France would be violating their own treaties by deporting the Djiboutians, other European powers would turn their back on France.

All of this results in a treaty with the Brits and the locals: guaranteeing the latter's stay in Djibouti, the transfer of sovereignty of the Djibouti, and the access of French ships to Djiboutian

Just my $0.02.....

If deemed to be a strategic national asset, then given the long border, I cannot see how France could maintain control with "only white settlers". From a practical standpoint I think they best they could do would be adopt as a French Oversees Department and then identifying as centre of trade and education with full public French Education to attempt to make sustainably "French". Then the French Africans could contribute to protecting the borders, etc. But long-term you try to frame as the French Singapore of East Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.