Which dictator would you rather live under?

Who would you rather live under?

• Benito Mussolini

• Joseph Stalin

• Chiang Kai Shek

• Other (Say in replies)

Results are only viewable after voting.
As for Ataturk, agree as per my above comment :) I have a lot of admiration for the man, although his legacy for ethnic minorities is a bit "in the grey"...

As for the stuff-I-didn't-understand :p, I'm assuming Esperanto or another conlang? "Selatorum" is sort of throwing me for a loop...
Look to the West, Selatorum means "of the not-soldiers"

Judging from the remarkably small lead Mussolini currently has over Chiang / Stalin, I'm beginning to wonder whether AH.com contains a disproportionate number of lazy train conductors.

Judging from the remarkably small lead Mussolini currently has over Chiang / Stalin, I'm beginning to wonder whether AH.com contains a disproportionate number of lazy train conductors.
1638586578361.png

Does Lee Kuan Yew count? He was certainly authoritarian but seems to have tried to be more benevolent in comparison to many of the other despots in the 20th century.

Why hasn't his story been turned into an epic film?

I mean, there are several movies about Atatürk in Turkey.

I am sure some of them can even be found in English.

Thought I suppose they tend to have a more George Washington than Alexander the Great energy, so "epic" might not fit well. (Washington and Alexander are more general examples, not specific)

I mean, there are several movies about Atatürk in Turkey.

I am sure some of them can even be found in English.

Thought I suppose they tend to have a more George Washington than Alexander the Great energy, so "epic" might not fit well. (Washington and Alexander are more general examples, not specific)
Here is an American film about Ataturk:

Why are some people saying Chiang Kai Shek? Even if he governing wasn't bad, if you live under him your town will be a warzone in WW2. That dosn't sound fun.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Indira Gandhi. Sure you would be dealing with a terrible economy and Sanjay's shenanigans with sterilization, but there is little fear of getting killed for political reasons even if you protested against the government (you would be promptly imprisoned of course, but its better than being thrown off a helicopter). If you have good connections with the congress party, you can expect a comfortable life.

Anyway, to answer the thread's question:

I will pick "Other," and choose one of the numerous US Presidents whom the opposition party christens our new dictator every 4-8 years.

Oh hell no
Sorry but I would be more likely to join up with Republican Spaniards(if the anarchists are out )

One of my favorite anecdotes from the Spanish Civil War was a Republican communique expressing bafflement about why the war industries they'd turned over to anarchists weren't producing weapons.

Franco? You mean that fascist reactionary dictator who opressed mionorities like Basques and Catalans. He too ruled with strict iron fist with his secret police and used Catholic Church.. There was really few of rights and life was pretty harsh. And Spain remained poor and backward. I ratherly would had lived on Brezhnev's Soviet Union and even that wasn't nice place to live.
And yet he still killed far fewer people than Tito, who you praised earlier in this thread.

Does Lee Kuan Yew count? He was certainly authoritarian but seems to have tried to be more benevolent in comparison to many of the other despots in the 20th century.
I think where he succeeded was not in the being benevolent part but in realizing that he needs to keep the system he built clean from corruption. I’ve got Singaporean friends who thinks that Lee’s ruling party has been in power for too long, Singapore needs to freshen up etc. but admits that unless there is a massive corruption scandal that gets uncovered, it is difficult to vote them out.