Which dictator would you rather live under?

Who would you rather live under?

• Benito Mussolini

• Joseph Stalin

• Chiang Kai Shek

• Other (Say in replies)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Of those listed, the Moose.

Of those not listed, well to avoid modern politics I won't mention the specific countries, but there's a few modern states where you can enjoy a reasonably high standard of living so long as you don't get in the government's way.

I am genuinely surprised no one said Diaz yet and some of my ancestors fought to get rid of him. but legitimately If you were a normal person and stayed far from politics you'd be fine.

mial42

Gone Fishin'
I would rather be black in the Apartheid than a slave in Athens. Unless Ancient Greece loses its Democracy status, oppression and Democracy go fine together.
I suspect most people would rather be black under Ian Smith then under Mugabe for that matter. And he was democratically elected...

Of those listed, the Moose.

Of those not listed, well to avoid modern politics I won't mention the specific countries, but there's a few modern states where you can enjoy a reasonably high standard of living so long as you don't get in the government's way.

I am genuinely surprised no one said Diaz yet and some of my ancestors fought to get rid of him. but legitimately If you were a normal person and stayed far from politics you'd be fine.
For some reason, the Tool song "Eulogy" is in my head....
"Don't you step out of line... don't you step out of line..."

Eh, not that I think the guy was ideal, maybe just a (small) step above your average iron-fisted thug...
I think not stepping out of line is sort of the unspoken rule in even the most "benevolent" of dictatorships....
Yeah, thus why my main consideration was the availability of 21st century comforts

mial42

Gone Fishin'
Eh, not that I think the guy was ideal, maybe just a (small) step above your average iron-fisted thug...
I think not stepping out of line is sort of the unspoken rule in even the most "benevolent" of dictatorships....
It's a rule in all societies. Some things can't be tolerated, because it undermines the social order. Whether you call it lèse majestè, hate speech, heresy, or just illegal positions, the state always enforces some lines that cannot be stepped out of. There's no particular reason to believe dictatorships have to be more restrictive about this sort of thing then democracies. What matters is:
1) How explicit are the rules (the more explicit the better IMO; easier to know what's out of line and what isn't)?
2) What are the punishments for breaking the rules (can range from "losing social status" to "tortured to death along with your family")? Personally prefer the left end of that scale. Efficiency of enforcement is part of this. How likely are you to be punished?
3) How reasonable are the rules (some rules are better then others; Singapore for instance has kicked out various newspapers for inciting race hatred, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Meanwhile, in North Korea...)?
4) How quickly do the rules change? Slower is better in my view.

From what I can tell, democracies are generally better about (2) then dictatorships, and have less variance about (3) (but then again...), but seem worse at (1) and (4) (on average).

It's a rule in all societies. Some things can't be tolerated, because it undermines the social order. Whether you call it lèse majestè, hate speech, heresy, or just illegal positions, the state always enforces some lines that cannot be stepped out of. There's no particular reason to believe dictatorships have to be more restrictive about this sort of thing then democracies. What matters is:
1) How explicit are the rules (the more explicit the better IMO; easier to know what's out of line and what isn't)?
2) What are the punishments for breaking the rules (can range from "losing social status" to "tortured to death along with your family")? Personally prefer the left end of that scale. Efficiency of enforcement is part of this. How likely are you to be punished?
3) How reasonable are the rules (some rules are better then others; Singapore for instance has kicked out various newspapers for inciting race hatred, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Meanwhile, in North Korea...)?
4) How quickly do the rules change? Slower is better in my view.

From what I can tell, democracies are generally better about (2) then dictatorships, and have less variance about (3) (but then again...), but seem worse at (1) and (4) (on average).
I clicked the link, but my Swedish is a bit rusty (ie nonexistent - I look for cognates and place-names, and that's about it :))

Of the listed ones, Mussolini, by virtue of not being crazy oppressive or unable to keep a grip onto the country.

Of the unlisted ones... Lee Kuan Yew. Because, well, I seriously doubt Singapore becoming as fabously wealthy as it is would've happened regardless of circumnstances, and AFAIK most of Singapore's laws were mostly oriented in keep harmony between the many quarrelsome ethnicities in the city, with spectacular success and enough lighness of touch to have peopke forget he wasn't exactly democratically elected...

No se.... :)
For for the average assimilated Kombinidus, they have a functioning welfare system, sort-of-meritocracy and the use of extremely harsh punishments for racism, and a sense they just might live to see the End of War and the End of Nations

On a more serious note, Ataturk's Turkey if you're ethnically Turkish

Last edited:
For for the average assimilated Kombinidus, they have a functioning welfare system, sort-of-meritocracy and the use of extremely harsh punishments for racism, and a sense they just might live to see the End of War and the End of Nations

On a more serious note, Ataturk's Turkey if you're ethnically Turkish
As for Ataturk, agree as per my above comment :) I have a lot of admiration for the man, although his legacy for ethnic minorities is a bit "in the grey"...

As for the stuff-I-didn't-understand :p, I'm assuming Esperanto or another conlang? "Selatorum" is sort of throwing me for a loop...

marktaha

Banned
Of those listed, Mussolini. He seemed mostly like a bloviating asshole, but he wasn’t much of a threat to any individual person or group as long as they stayed out of his way (Hitler being a monumental asshole notwithstanding.) Stalin was fucking crazy and Chiang couldn’t handle his shit.

If I could pick any dictator to live under, I’d pick probably Ataturk. The one to avoid at all costs is, of course, Pol Pot.
I agree - Ataturk perhaps greatest national leader of 20th century. Why hasn't his story been turned into an epic film?

I agree - Ataturk perhaps greatest national leader of 20th century. Why hasn't his story been turned into an epic film?

Probably because he was in charge of an empire that ended up defeated in the war that ended up being the undercard for the biggest war in world history. And Turkey wasn’t a big player in that war.