Which dictator would you rather live under?

Who would you rather live under?

• Benito Mussolini

• Joseph Stalin

• Chiang Kai Shek

• Other (Say in replies)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apologies in advance if this breaks any fourm rules.

*I am not trying to glorify or endorse any authoritarian regime, I am just asking a question.*

(I will try to delete this if this post does indeed break fourm rules)

Mussolini is the least worst choice.

- Stalin is too brutal
- Chiang can't control his country or protect it

Mussolini is at least partially kept in check by King Victor Emmanuel.

Yes I tend to agree that Mussolini is the least worst choice---and probably by far the best probability that you survive from 1920-1950 (picking a 30 year span kind of arbitrarily). If we assume you're randomly inserted somewhere between the 20th and 80th percentiles of your society, your chances of a gruesome death are way higher under Stalin or Chiang.

Mussolini. He wasn't that brutal and cruel as Stalin and not that incompetent idiot as Chiang. Under Mussolini mediocre Italian had better chances to survive than mediocre Russian/Chinese survive under Stalin&Chiang.

Guess I’d choose Mussolini. China under Kai-shek was a corrupt hellhole…… and Stalin, do I even need to explain?

Depends on what’s my ethnicity social class political orientation and financial status

It really sucked but but still not as badly as under Stalin or CHiang. No matter of what ethnic group you belong your life was extremely shitty and you had always fear arrival of NKVD or thenn horrors of nazis. And there was too endless famines. Not really great times for anyone. And CHina was such mess. Basically China under Chiang was mostly at either ruled by corrupt KMT and other warlords, civil war and war with Japan. So violent death was quiet certain. Not sure how things were after KMT had flee to Taiwan.

Of those listed? Mussolini.
Of those not listed? Pinochet.

Why Pinochet? He wasn't as bad as Stalin and CHiang but still pretty horrible, speciality if you was leftist.

Outside of that list I perhasp would pick Tito. Pretty good living standards and you hadn't fear over your life.

Of those listed, Mussolini. He seemed mostly like a bloviating asshole, but he wasn’t much of a threat to any individual person or group as long as they stayed out of his way (Hitler being a monumental asshole notwithstanding.) Stalin was fucking crazy and Chiang couldn’t handle his shit.

If I could pick any dictator to live under, I’d pick probably Ataturk. The one to avoid at all costs is, of course, Pol Pot.

Of those not listed? Pinochet.
Uhhhh….. have you ever done deep reading about the Pinochet regime? It wasn’t exactly pleasant for anybody….. there were much “better” dictators to live under. and his definition of “leftist” was far more loose than depicted, it was just anybody he didn’t like. I’d definitely choose life under Ataturk for example long before him.

tonycat77

Banned
Any Brazilian one in the 1960s-1980s.
Unless you were openly leftist or a democratic conservative (Yes, the military backstabbed the conservative faction which brought them into power very quickly) you'd be fine.
Autarky+Cold war means good paying factory jobs if you had finished high school or knew someone.