Where the River Flows: The Story of Misia: A Native American Superpower

The alphabet is something I’ve actually been thinking about. For Misian in particular, I’ve noticed that the language has a certain syllable structure that would lend it to a syllabary or abjad-type system. I’ve also been thinking about the Korean writing system, in which sounds share shapes based on how similar they are and how they are said. For example, the three main plosives in this language (at least in the Inoka dialect) are P, T, and K. I’m thinking they can be represented by the symbols Γ, T, and 7 respectively, representing the position of lips/tongue with relation to the roof of the mouth.
Beside this, I believe that the earlier they systematise their bureaucratic records-keeping, the more it will look like a Qin bureaucracy with all the elitism that it entailed, and hence the more that they will be compelled to find ways in making their literature somewhat abstruse.

That said - in order to answer this question - you may as well answer how they did their enfeoffment of land and noble entitlements in the earlier time periods, and how it coupled along with the centralisation that the extensive canal system had entailed.

Hey guys, as I work on the next chapter, I’ve been thinking about how while I talk a lot about wars and land-changes, I haven’t spent enough time diving into more cultural and daily life aspects. For that reason, I’ve been thinking before I round out the 1600s I may also wanna do some chapters focusing on a particular city. I’ve been thinking that Cahoqua, Shawasha, Tenochtitlan, Zempoala, Orayvi, Manhattan, Tekesta, and a bunch of other cities deserve updates of their own. What else would people like to see?
Environmental history.

Environmental history.
the three sisters - alongside animal husbandry - must have been quite consequential for the ecology of the Great Plains

not much room was given for free-range bisons though, not to say nothing of the originally-nomadic tribes and their original territories deep within Misia's core, especially at the South

the three sisters - alongside animal husbandry - must have been quite consequential for the ecology of the Great Plains

not much room was given for free-range bisons though, not to say nothing of the originally-nomadic tribes and their original territories deep within Misia's core, especially at the South
I was also thinking about the potential for invasive species, and the ideological underpinnings of how the Misia relate to the surrounding environment.

Speaking of cuisine, the related topic, agriculture. The three sisters method, and many others practiced by OTL natives, were vastly different to what Europeans knew, ie monoculture farming. Is TTL's farming more akin to, say, modern permaculture of some sorts, or did it evolve into the "mainstream" methods?

Windows95

Banned
Speaking of cuisine, the related topic, agriculture. The three sisters method, and many others practiced by OTL natives, were vastly different to what Europeans knew, ie monoculture farming. Is TTL's farming more akin to, say, modern permaculture of some sorts, or did it evolve into the "mainstream" methods?
That's polyculture:

On the topic, which cities are you interested in hearing more about (regions as well for that matter)?
the capital itself, Cahokia; their ability to manipulate water with canals must have likewise extended to a quite advanced plumbing and sanitation systems

There's also the question of how they organised their nobility: is it more similar to the Chinese court where its the thorough monopolisation of enfeoffments it idealised was tempered with kindness, or the European one that relied solely on divine right to derive its authority over their own court and oft-unrelated noble vassals?

Last edited:
Simeon said it, Cahokia I'm very interested in as the prime city of the Empire. Maybe some text and variances on the other major metropolises of the nation like Sawasha and Shikaakwa.

Region-wise would also be a treat. Not just mere north and south, but maybe how Misians are adapting to the *Great Plains, since the region east of the 98th meridian is their core territory and east of that line is wet-enough forest and riverine land as the default terrain type.

Simeon said it, Cahokia I'm very interested in as the prime city of the Empire. Maybe some text and variances on the other major metropolises of the nation like Sawasha and Shikaakwa.

Region-wise would also be a treat. Not just mere north and south, but maybe how Misians are adapting to the *Great Plains, since the region east of the 98th meridian is their core territory and east of that line is wet-enough forest and riverine land as the default terrain type.
there's also the matter of urban layout & sprawl, as well as considerations for public spaces like plazas, parks, and even hanging gardens; the considerations for real estate and urban administration and governance as well

all of which are going to be alien from its peers in Europe and Asia

it must also have a reputation as an "eternal city" considering that one can easily infer that its status as the empire's capital had been unbroken since it was first established; the significance and hallowing must have already attained holy proportions

Last edited:
Always down to hear about the Jewish community, but apart from that, I'm interested to hear about the social lives of the average Joe Misian. Where do they go to hang out with their friends? Are there even places to hang out? What do they do for fun? How do parents interact with their children and vise versa. Is the average Misian devout? Etc.

there's also the matter of urban layout & sprawl, as well as considerations for public spaces like plazas, parks, and even hanging gardens; the considerations for real estate and urban administration and governance as well

all of which are going to be alien from its peers in Europe and Asia

it must also have a reputation as an "eternal city" considering that one can easily infer that its status as the empire's capital had been unbroken since it was first established; the significance and hallowing must have already attained holy proportions
As a small correction, Cahoqua isn’t the only city to have served as capital. Cities like Peorua (Peoria, IL), Nikota (Wickliffe, KY), and Patoka (Paducah, KY) among others have also served as capitals. In general though, the Inoka/Illinois plain has historically served as the main center of power being at the middle of the vast riverine network, possessing incredibly fertile farmland, and being upstream from the easily conquerable Alluvial Plain. That being said, the two most common capitals were historically Cahoqua and Nikota.

As a small correction, Cahoqua isn’t the only city to have served as capital. Cities like Peorua (Peoria, IL), Nikota (Wickliffe, KY), and Patoka (Paducah, KY) among others have also served as capitals. In general though, the Inoka/Illinois plain has historically served as the main center of power being at the middle of the vast riverine network, possessing incredibly fertile farmland, and being upstream from the easily conquerable Alluvial Plain. That being said, the two most common capitals were historically Cahoqua and Nikota.
I wanted to comment on this.

In a parallel to Chinese history, Nikota could easily function as the Luoyang to Cahoqua's Chang'an/Xi'an. That is to say, Luoyang was the original Chinese capital by being seat of government of the Xia and Shang dynasties and prime city during the Warring States period, but upon unification Qin Shi Huang moved the capital to Chang'an, which became THE Chinese city - a la Rome to the Roman Empire, London to England, etc. - for all the ancient and medieval periods till the fall of the Tang dynasty. And of course it is worth noting that though Luoyang was never really a capital again after unification and Chang'an/Xi'an eventually lost capital status post-Tang, both are still major cities - Xi'an ESPECIALLY so. Of course Cahoqua never got sacked and razed, so it's doing much better than Chang'an or Rome in terms of Eternal City status when you think on it.