Where the River Flows: The Story of Misia: A Native American Superpower

I think I’m missing the reference
My piss poor way of trying to adapt Murrica to Argentina, so I apologize for it falling flat, hahaha.

I did want to give a more serious post, though:

1) I find it very clever you focused the Puritans and OTL northerners to the ‘south’ and the OTL southrons are in the north so climate and economics (big plantations in warm climes, eh) still play out for them in cosmic parallels. And of course Philadelphia being in the, ah, middle like OTL’s Middle Colonies via Uruguay.

2) I’m also giving thanks for renaming Rio and Buenos Aires to simple English names. It fits well with the real world names on the eastern seaboard. Also, the name and detail-oriented nerd in me notes there will never be a Baltimore and Norfolk overtaking St. Mary’s and Jamestown due to TTL’s versions sitting on the fantastic sites of Rio Grande do Sol and .

3) Providence I assume is at Bahía Blanca? And Parana at its real world location?

4) I also am curious if a TTL New York will ever exist, admittedly.

5) Portugal and the Netherlands splitting up Indonesia and neighbors will definitely be a boon to Portugal keeping relevance longer via East Indian trade.

My piss poor way of trying to adapt Murrica to Argentina, so I apologize for it falling flat, hahaha.

I did want to give a more serious post, though:

1) I find it very clever you focused the Puritans and OTL northerners to the ‘south’ and the OTL southrons are in the north so climate and economics (big plantations in warm climes, eh) still play out for them in cosmic parallels. And of course Philadelphia being in the, ah, middle like OTL’s Middle Colonies via Uruguay.

2) I’m also giving thanks for renaming Rio and Buenos Aires to simple English names. It fits well with the real world names on the eastern seaboard. Also, the name and detail-oriented nerd in me notes there will never be a Baltimore and Norfolk overtaking St. Mary’s and Jamestown due to TTL’s versions sitting on the fantastic sites of Rio Grande do Sol and .

3) Providence I assume is at Bahía Blanca? And Parana at its real world location?

4) I also am curious if a TTL New York will ever exist, admittedly.

5) Portugal and the Netherlands splitting up Indonesia and neighbors will definitely be a boon to Portugal keeping relevance longer via East Indian trade.
1) Of course. One thing to note though is that the south lacks the forests of New England but has a better climate, meaning that this TL’s New England equivalent will be mainly focused on homesteading agriculture rather than shipbuilding.

2) Jamestown is located at Rio de Janeiro, and St. Mary’s is Paranagua.

3) Parana ITTL is roughly around Rosario, while Providence is on the Sanborombom Bay. Philadelphia you can probably tell is around Montevideo.

4) Keep in mind all of these cities are very different from their OTL counterparts, both their South American counterparts and their 13 Colonies counterparts. There is no New Amsterdam to take over, meaning there won’t be a place founded quite like New York, but there are places that can become similarly important cities. Plate and Penn both have strategic value sitting at the mouth of the country’s main river, and many of the cities further north are natural harbors.

5)

So, a shorter 30YW because the Habsburgs are weaker. Males sense.
From a shorter 30YW, it logically follows that there's a ton more Germans around to settle somewhere.

Exciting developments everywhere!

So, a shorter 30YW because the Habsburgs are weaker. Males sense.
From a shorter 30YW, it logically follows that there's a ton more Germans around to settle somewhere.

Exciting developments everywhere!
Also no English Civil War and the Iberian Union stays together longer

Great to see this back with more updates!

Also something that I thought of right now but do the nations of North America know about the Thirty Years War over in Europe and if so what do they think of it? What do the Iroquois think of the English Civil War if they even care about at all?

Great to see this back with more updates!

Also something that I thought of right now but do the nations of North America know about the Thirty Years War over in Europe and if so what do they think of it? What do the Iroquois think of the English Civil War if they even care about at all?
As stated, although I have to go back and edit it still, the English Civil War is being retconned out.

ITTL the War of Defenestration is quite short, and it doesn’t really impact the nations of the New World. Their main concerns are trade, which hasn’t been disrupted, and regional stability, which is secure so long as the Misians maintain their control.

While the Dutch East India Company was becoming increasingly powerful in the western portions of the Malay Archipelago, the Portuguese continued to establish their colonies of Lução, Celebes, Tidore, and Timor, collectively known as the Portuguese East Indies.
I assume that Portugal never really had the funds to establish a trading post to assert better control of its mercenaries from Luzon, or irreversibly penetrate through a prospective and easy-to-do Japanese butterfly net.

Last edited:
It's good to see this back. I'm going to have to reread this to refamiliarize myself with all the background, but I am definitely here for Jewish/Taino solidarity.

Chapter 30: The Blood of the Bear
Chapter 30: The Blood of the Bear

Buffalo_Hunt.jpg

Among the Chatiks, as with other tribes who roamed the Ihkipaka grasslands, to kill one’s first bison was a rite of passage into manhood, and Kuruks was determined to get the kill. He knew the shape of the bison’s tracks, the smell of fresh dung, and now, just in the distance, he saw a large herd. There must have been twenty of them– mostly cows with several larger ones that could be clearly identified as bulls. He lifted his bow, aiming at the leg of the largest of the animals, closing one eye and feeling the wind on his face to ensure the proper trajectory. Once he was sure of his aim, he let go of the arrow. Sure enough, the sharp flint arrowhead pierced the thigh of the mighty beast, which began bucking wildly.

Immediately, he heard behind him the bellowing of a bison horn, and he knew the signal to charge. All men began shouting and making noise while racing towards the herd. All ran away, but the weakened bull ran behind. With the rest of the bison gone, the hunters surrounded the last remaining beast, shooting at its legs and torso to bring it to its knees. With the bison lying on the ground, Kuruks climbed down from his horse and removed another arrow from his quiver, aiming it squarely between the beast’s eyes.

He muttered a brief prayer and released the arrow. The great bull lay lifeless.

All of a sudden, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around towards the east, the direction of his camp. Smoke was rising toward the sky, more smoke than a hundred bonfires.

“Come on, let’s go, we’ll butcher the beast later! We need to get back there, now!”

Kuruks climbed back onto his horse and rode with the rest of the party towards the camp. As he got closer, he could hear horrible screaming and the soot-filled air forced its way into his nostrils. He could now see tipis burning, but before he could take in anything else going on, he heard a series of shouts in a language he did not understand and several loud blasts. The men riding at the front fell to the ground, while those just behind them rode back into the line, causing disorder among the hunting party. Armored men on decorated horses with shields and metal swords and long spears charged right at the fleeing men.

Kuruks broke from the formation and steered his horse around the onslaught. Looking at the village from the other side, he could confirm that everything he knew was burning to ash, even the grass itself being set ablaze. The bloodied corpses of women and children lay on the ground, while the survivors were crying out, held in metal chains.
As the last men of the hunting party were sliced and skewered, one of the strange men pointed at him, shouting once more in a language he did not know. As he attempted to ride away from the burning camp, he heard a loud bang, and suddenly his horse stopped and collapsed to the ground. Kuruks began to run away on-foot, but he could hear the galloping of hooves coming from behind him. He looked over his shoulder, and the last thing he would see was a metal-tipped pike striking right between his eyes.
The Anishinabe threat was to be no more, and the Ihkipaka was being brought under the imperial boot once and for all. The people of his empire were happy, reaping the benefits of the new constitution that granted them a stake in their government for the past twenty years. And on an evening like this, all Maquah needed was to be able to sit safely in his throne room with his loving wife by his side.

A servant entered in a crimson robe carrying a small saucer with a small ceramic cup.

“Your highness,” he said, “I bring you your warm cup of wine before bed.”

“Thank you,” he said looking at the single cup, “but what about the empress?”

“Of course, your highness,” said the servant, handing Maquah the cup and saucer. “I shall bring you another cup shortly.”

The servant exited the throne room.

“It’s ok,” Wahpimohsa said. “I don’t need to drink right now.”

“Please, my love, I insist.”

“Well,” Wahpimohsa laughed, “I suppose if my emperor is telling me.”

Wahpimosa held the saucer and lifted the cup to her lips, taking a large sip. She then put it down on the small mahogany side table between the two thrones.

Just as Maquah was easing back into the cushions on his chair, he heard a gagging sound. He looked to his left, and suddenly Wahpimosa had fallen out of her chair and onto the floor, holding onto her own neck.

“My queen? Get the doctor, now!” he frantically shouted.

As Maquah knelt over his wife, she rolled over onto her back and began foaming at the mouth.

“Your highness, I have returned with you–”

The returning servant, seeing what was happening, dropped his dishware on the ground. They shattered immediately.

“No,” Maquah said crying, “Wahpimohsa, are you with me? Wake up!”

She choked one last time, and lay lifeless.

“NO!” Maquah shouted.

He lifted his head and looked around. He looked at the guards, and the butler, and then back at his wife. Someone wanted him dead, and like a fool, he had given the poison meant for himself for his wife.

All he could do now was avenge her, avenge both of them.
With the first elections in 1644, Maquah had implemented the first form of democratic governance in the history of the Great Kingdom. Just like Maquah had intended, this government insulated his power from any rebellion or challenger to the imperial throne. More importantly, while the sachems debated tax policy, currency, and licenses, Maquah was able to focus on what he considered to be “military matters”, and by “military matters”, he of course meant commit genocide.

The recent war with the Anishinabe and Dakota expanded the empire’s borders northward, and both in the new and existing former territories, there were large numbers of these “barbarian” people. During a pilgrimage to Makinak, Maquah declared the establishment of the new Makinawa province, including both sides of the strait of Makinak with its capital in the city of Makina. While this province was at the time mainly inhabited with Anishinabe, the locals were to all be killed, banished, or forcefully assimilated and spread throughout the empire, resulting in many children being sent to boarding schools in the southern provinces to become Misinized. New settlers moved in from all over the empire while the indigenous inhabitants would, over the decades, be wiped out. This process also took place in Pateota and elsewhere in the Machikato province, which had significant non-Ileni populations who would also be wiped out over the course of the coming decades.

In vengeance for the bloodshed, several plains bands of Dakota aligned together in 1655 to attack Misia’s eastern provinces, with raiding parties reaching as far east as the Mississippi. In 1656, with the increasing violence coming from the plains and with a burning desire to conquer the grasslands to avenge his brother’s death all those years ago, Maquah declared that the Lakota and Chatiks were both to be wiped out so that their lands may be redistributed to Misian farmers. This declaration would begin what would come to be known as the Ihkipaka Genocide.

Naturally, his actions would bring Maquah a number of enemies, including former aristocrats opposed to his political program as well as minorities and those sympathetic who opposed his genocidal actions. It is therefore unknown exactly who attempted to assassinate him in the autumn of 1664, but when his wife dropped dead from a poisoned cup of wine meant for him, he demanded vengeance and immediately had his butler and the entirety of the kitchen staff working that hour executed. Still, he remained unsatisfied. Just a month later, he ordered the imperial guard to hunt down the sons he had with the woman of his former harem and have their skulls brought to him. Throughout the next year and a half, he would become increasingly erratic, with witnesses claiming he frequently muttered to himself and broke down crying. He continuously executed more and more people on the palace grounds, and began to bring captives from his genocidal campaign of all genders into the palace to be castrated, abused, and tortured in a wide variety of other ways in front of his audiences. Although he had once been tempered, his maniacal nature had returned with a vengeance. The mad bear was out of hibernation. The question was who could stop him.

Like he did all those years ago, Maquah found peace in the palace gardens, among the flowers and fruits and herbs and vegetables and sunflower-covered hedges that shielded his favorite marble bench, exposed only to the sun. It was the first truly warm day of spring, and with the warm sun and light breeze that found its way through the maze onto his face, he peacefully enjoyed the weather, throwing seeds to the mourning doves at his feet. In the past, he would usually consume some of the seeds himself; these days he was hardly ever hungry. Either way, why would he even deserve the food? Would the birds kill his wife? The mourning doves don’t kill anyone. The mimiaki don’t kill anyone.

He shut his eyes and allowed his head to fall back, basking in the sun that beamed onto his face and warmed his black satin robes, reflecting on the golden lining.

All of a sudden, he heard someone step towards him. He immediately sprung up, dropping the bag of seeds and causing several of the doves to flap their wings and dash to the safety of the hedge. He pulled his jade dagger out of his belt, aiming it in the direction of the noise.

“Who is it? Who dares to sneak up on Maquah Kilsu?”

From behind the hedge his daughter stepped forward dressed in pale blue satin.

“I thought by now you would recognize my footsteps, father.”

“Mimia, my darling, my apologies.”

“I mean really, a dagger at your own child?”

“Mimia, I have a lot on my mind,” he said, sitting back down and placing the blade back into his belt.

“I suppose you do, now that half of the palace staff still needs to be replaced.”

She sat down on the bench next to him. A small smile came across the princess’s countenance, with eyes not unlike those of his late wife.

“The weather’s nice. I should join you at this spot more often.”

“I usually come here to get away from everything.”

“Away from what?”

“The people who want me dead, who want us dead, who wanted your mother dead.”

“Father, there have been no attempts on your life since. You will be fine.”

“You don’t know that,” Maquah said, “you don’t know all I have seen, all I have been through! Even those you trust the most can stab you in the back!”

Mimia stood up to walk away. Maquah calmed down, and took a breath.

“Wait,” he said standing up. “Mimia, please come back here. You’re the only one I trust.”

Mimia turned back towards her father and hugged him.

“Thank you for trusting me.”

“I love you, Mimia.”

Holding back tears, Mimia answered back:

“I love you too, father.”

Her hands made her way down her father’s back towards the golden handle of the dagger. She pulled it out of its black leather sheath and sunk it into her father’s back. She stepped back and looked at her father in his dry, widening eyes. There was shock, yes, but no pain or anger, simply relief, simply peace.

He collapsed onto the ground, and she held him on his knee. She kissed his forehead. The reign of madness was at an end.​

Last edited:
Wonder if they have another successor lined up or if it's going to be another game of Imperial musical chairs. Also go Mimia! I hope she goes onto play a bigger role in Imperial politics

I’m torn on the concept now suddenly stuck in my head that every large *North American realm east of the Rockies is in a PRIME position to kill the locals for their own expanding population no matter who or what that large realm is - OTL’s America, Misia in this timeline, etc. But it even makes a gruesome sense, what with being able to travel across land and stream very easy via horse and river barge, and either gunpowder-supplied infantry or heavy cavalry in general able to crush the local tribes even if those adopt the horse themselves (lancer and archer weaponry alike)! I also have to admit it also jells with other large but politically united and long-lasting civilizations and nations like China, Iran, and Rome - we think of their “default” or “proper” lands as being particularly large versus your typical country due to large numbers of Han, Persians, Latin/Greek-speakers etc. across that core but that didn’t happen in a vacuum and local tribes or nations being killed off or assimilated was very much recorded history, it just isn’t thought of much because it happened so long ago.

I also may as well nerd out again on borders - I don’t doubt Misia expands to the Rockies and is doing so as we speak , but I am figuring their “traditional” western border pre-expansion/gunpowder(?) was when rainfall became scarce and forest zones/agriculture gave way to grasslands/rangelands, give or take a specific boundary line here and there. And where is Pateota and Machikato province?

I’m torn on the concept now suddenly stuck in my head that every large *North American realm east of the Rockies is in a PRIME position to kill the locals for their own expanding population no matter who or what that large realm is - OTL’s America, Misia in this timeline, etc. But it even makes a gruesome sense, what with being able to travel across land and stream very easy via horse and river barge, and either gunpowder-supplied infantry or heavy cavalry in general able to crush the local tribes even if those adopt the horse themselves (lancer and archer weaponry alike)! I also have to admit it also jells with other large but politically united and long-lasting civilizations and nations like China, Iran, and Rome - we think of their “default” or “proper” lands as being particularly large versus your typical country due to large numbers of Han, Persians, Latin/Greek-speakers etc. across that core but that didn’t happen in a vacuum and local tribes or nations being killed off or assimilated was very much recorded history, it just isn’t thought of much because it happened so long ago.

I also may as well nerd out again on borders - I don’t doubt Misia expands to the Rockies and is doing so as we speak , but I am figuring their “traditional” western border pre-expansion/gunpowder(?) was when rainfall became scarce and forest zones/agriculture gave way to grasslands/rangelands, give or take a specific boundary line here and there. And where is Pateota and Machikato province?
For a general outline on the traditional border, it’s roughly in line with the province map I posted, but it can go out a bit further during imperial high points, all the way out to the high plains with occasionally some outposts on rivers and such going up towards the Rockies. It becomes trickier as you go out because terrain becomes less defensible with rivers harder to navigate and more bands of nomads. Greater technology is definitely a major factor helping the Misians push west.

Pateota is the site of Minneapolis. The name actually comes from “Bde Óta Othúŋwe”, the OTL Dakota name for the city meaning “Many Lakes Town”.

Karma is a bitch isnt it?
But poor Maquah, it'll be debated for centuries if he would ever have became the monster he turned out to be if his life wasnt hell and I can see a lot of works in-universe(wheter ASB or not) dedicated to this very topic

Karma is a bitch isnt it?
But poor Maquah, it'll be debated for centuries if he would ever have became the monster he turned out to be if his life wasnt hell and I can see a lot of works in-universe(wheter ASB or not) dedicated to this very topic
I mean, he wasn’t perfectly well adjusted to begin with. That combined with personal trauma and humiliation and being handed the keys of power and he ends up becoming a politically effective albeit genocidal ruler.

Heck yeah, Monsieur!

While loathing him for his actions, one can't help but understand where Maquah is coming from here. A fucked up childhood, rebellions and assassinations, any sane person can go insane and see daggers in the dark everywhere. Every ruler has got their share of dark deeds after all.

Also, there is precedence for female rule in Misia right? Correct me if I am wrong. If so, the daughter has got some big issues to deal with early into her reign. BIG issues.