What if the US had launched a relatively small scale nuclear strike against the USSR in the early 1960's ?

I decided to start a new thread for this (rather than work this into the current thread re Soviet Bombers and Submarines in Cuba.)

What if the US had finalized plans to attack approximately 88 "Designated Ground Zeros" (some of which apparently encompassed more than one target) in the USSR, mostly or exclusively via bomber delivered nuclear weapons in the early 1960's (with an apparent goal of degrading their ability to strike the US) and carried out such an attack (as opposed to a larger SIOP attack.)

The reason might be for any of the various early 1960's cold war goes hot scenarios that come up from time to time. I suppose a bolt out of the blue attack (perhaps during a period of tension) might have yielded different results than an attack during a major conventional conflict, or an attack launched by the US if the US had clear indications that the USSR was about to launch a nuclear strike, but perhaps this attack option (if the plans had actually been completed and all the decision makers had signed off on them, which isn't entirely clear to me..) might have at least been considered as a US response to a severe Soviet Provocation in the early 1960's ?

See:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/10/jfks-first-strike-plan/376432/

for some background and context.

Apparently at least some US decision makers believed the US didn't have enough target data. See https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB56/BerlinC4.pdf for a bit of insight re this and perhaps some key Soviet Targets might have been missed and the US may have sustained a considerable amount of damage ? I suspect the political consequences of the US launching a nuclear first strike would likely be massive even if the US more or less survived and was able to impose a settlement on the Soviets ?

I also wonder if the Soviets might also have struck targets in western Europe and other areas near the Soviet Union with tactical forces that might not have been covered by the the notional list of "Designated Ground Zeros" contemplated by this plan ?

I believe in practice it was incredibly unlikely that the US would actually have launched such an attack, I also have my doubts that the USSR would have simply rolled over and agreed to US imposed settlement if the US had done such a thing. I also believe it was a very good thing that such an attack was never launched.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
I decided to start a new thread for this (rather than work this into the current thread re Soviet Bombers and Submarines in Cuba.)

What if the US had finalized plans to attack approximately 88 "Designated Ground Zeros" (some of which apparently encompassed more than one target) in the USSR, mostly or exclusively via bomber delivered nuclear weapons in the early 1960's (with an apparent goal of degrading their ability to strike the US) and carried out such an attack (as opposed to a larger SIOP attack.)

The reason might be for any of the various early 1960's cold war goes hot scenarios that come up from time to time. I suppose a bolt out of the blue attack (perhaps during a period of tension) might have yielded different results than an attack during a major conventional conflict, or an attack launched by the US if the US had clear indications that the USSR was about to launch a nuclear strike, but perhaps this attack option (if the plans had actually been completed and all the decision makers had signed off on them, which isn't entirely clear to me..) might have at least been considered as a US response to a severe Soviet Provocation in the early 1960's ?

See:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/10/jfks-first-strike-plan/376432/

for some background and context.

Apparently at least some US decision makers believed the US didn't have enough target data. See https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB56/BerlinC4.pdf for a bit of insight re this and perhaps some key Soviet Targets might have been missed and the US may have sustained a considerable amount of damage ? I suspect the political consequences of the US launching a nuclear first strike would likely be massive even if the US more or less survived and was able to impose a settlement on the Soviets ?

I also wonder if the Soviets might also have struck targets in western Europe and other areas near the Soviet Union with tactical forces that might not have been covered by the the notional list of "Designated Ground Zeros" contemplated by this plan ?

I believe in practice it was incredibly unlikely that the US would actually have launched such an attack, I also have my doubts that the USSR would have simply rolled over and agreed to US imposed settlement if the US had done such a thing. I also believe it was a very good thing that such an attack was never launched.

Thoughts ?
Assuming this isn't during the Cuban missile crisis.... What happens.. Alot of people die. The Soviets and Eastern Europe and heck even western Europe turn on the usa as its an aggressor letting loss the hounds of hell.

If during the crisis.. See amerigos time-line.

Anyway you cut it you still have a ground war and lots of angry bees

I think if I was still alive my pee would glow in the dark. Any nuclear exchange will escalate to the point of either near or total annihilation. How much radiation is around from just the testing?

It would escalate as WW3. USA wouldn't suffer almost any but Soviet Union and Eastern Europe would are totally destroyed. Probably Germany and Western Europe too would suffer greatly. And if so they wouldn't are happy with USA when it started most disastrous war what humanity has ever seen.

And in USA whoever is in charge at this time he probably is ging to lost next election and might be remembered as wormongering madman who started WW3.

I think if I was still alive my pee would glow in the dark. Any nuclear exchange will escalate to the point of either near or total annihilation. How much radiation is around from just the testing?
1960s.. This isn't the 80s.. Now your pee may glow.. But utter annihilation.. Eh.. It would suck for sure, but the 60s as specified.. Would be a walk in the park compared to say late 60s into the 70s

Granted if we start it.. And as kuch as one city is gone.. Well that's political doom for those in charge of we start it.

Only pretext I see is Cuba.

We are not nuking the USSR for Berlin at this point unless the Russians come across and if they do its ww3 just like Cuba.

There is no reason for the usa to preemptively strike the Soviet Union outside of those .. None, zilch, nechavo, nada, zilch.

Assuming this isn't during the Cuban missile crisis.... What happens.. Alot of people die. The Soviets and Eastern Europe and heck even western Europe turn on the usa as its an aggressor letting loss the hounds of hell.

If during the crisis.. See amerigos time-line.

Anyway you cut it you still have a ground war and lots of angry bees

Sorry, what Soviets and Eastern Europe? Any nuclear exchange would have escalated further, till by the end of it there was a slightly bruised US, a greatly damaged Western Europe, and a radioactive parking lot east of Inter-German Border. And no offense, but when someone is locked in a room with two 800 lb gorillas, and one tears off the head of the other gorilla.. well rationally maybe provoking that first gorilla isn't a good idea?