What if the soviet union never fell?

This kinda sounds stupid because there were various reasons for the soviet union to collapse but lets just say they never suffered the cold war and stuff, For example what if germany was never partitioned? Thats the kinda stuff i wanna see.

So this is basically a no cold war scenario starting in 1949.

Can't see how a 1949 POD is going to avoid a cold war .. I mean even if Stalin never gets Nukes there is still going to be a carve up of the defeated Germany (it's in the interests of the Allies to make sure there is zero prospect the Germans trying for a 3rd round ...)
Even if no WW2, there's a good chance of a cold war developing anyway ... to avoid the cold war, it's necessary to avoid Capitalist V Communist rivalry ... I don't think that's easy to address ... ONE way (has been debated here) is no communist revolution in Imperial Russia (so POD 1916 ?)

Going back to avoiding partition of Germany ... I guess two obvious approaches .. but not in 1949 (by then it's way too late)
One woud be no ww2 (so POD around 1929 or so , no rise of the Nazi's ... or Hiter comes to a sticky end)
or a fast Nazi defeat (say POD 1940, they fail to take France, or POD say 1943 an early collapse against the Red Army (before D day) with Stalin grabbing the whole country ...

EDIT - or just run 'as OTL' up to the 1970's and find some way to avoid the collapse in oil prices ....

Last edited:
Can't see how a 1949 POD is going to avoid a cold war .. I mean even if Stalin never gets Nukes there is still going to be a carve up of the defeated Germany (it's in the interests of the Allies to make sure there is zero prospect the Germans trying for a 3rd round ...)
Even if no WW2, there's a good chance of a cold war developing anyway ... to avoid the cold war, it's necessary to avoid Capitalist V Communist rivalry ... I don't think that's easy to address ... ONE way (has been debated here) is no communist revolution in Imperial Russia (so POD 1916 ?)

Going back to avoiding partition of Germany ... I guess two obvious approaches .. but not in 1949 (by then it's way too late)
One woud be no ww2 (so POD around 1929 or so , no rise of the Nazi's ... or Hiter comes to a sticky end)
or a fast Nazi defeat (say POD 1940, they fail to take France, or POD say 1943 an early collapse against the Red Army (before D day) with Stalin grabbing the whole country ...

EDIT - or just run 'as OTL' up to the 1970's and find some way to avoid the collapse in oil prices ....
Hmmm, We could just say trotsky takes power after lenin dies.
So the POD could be 1924?

The premise of this thread is actually quite different to the title. You seem to be more interested in a Non-Cold War Soviet Union than a Soviet Union that survives to modern day?

If you do a search for Surviving Soviet Union or Modern Soviet Union (or variations on those terms) you will find almost endless threads looking into different aspects. (Military, political, cultural, geopolitical etc) of a surviving USSR, some peaceful, some a "utopia", some a modern nightmare.

I'm not being critical at all (English is not my first language so sometimes the nuance is lost on me) - this is a very fascinating topic.