What if the SNES-CD was made by Philips?

Deleted member 150598

In case you have no clue what I'm talking about, the SNES-CD might have been a plan between Nintendo and Sony, but Nintendo ditched Sony in order to work on that project with Philips instead, given that through the CES 1991. But the outcome was unfortunately the Philips CD-i and the YTP-bait Mario and Zelda games for it.

But what if Philips DID release the SNES-CD? Would it have been a success or a flop?

Judging by the Sega-CD... heh, it could be a mild economical success but only have crappy games.
It depends on how much effort Nintendo wants to put on it. It would need good games.

In case you have no clue what I'm talking about, the SNES-CD might have been a plan between Nintendo and Sony, but Nintendo ditched Sony in order to work on that project with Philips instead, given that through the CES 1991. But the outcome was unfortunately the Philips CD-i and the YTP-bait Mario and Zelda games for it.

But what if Philips DID release the SNES-CD? Would it have been a success or a flop?
Judging by the Sega-CD... heh, it could be a mild economical success but only have crappy games.
It depends on how much effort Nintendo wants to put on it. It would need good games.
As arrnaggedon say is all about the software, for phillips trully make the SNES-CD maybe phillips realize their CDi alone would not cut it but with nintendo they could do something better? In a way after some negotiations, Phillips could take Nintendo Distribution in Europe Outside Scandinavia(that is Bergsala territory)(note: the superfamicom have not debuted in europe yet, debuted in 1992, OTL) and some production and in exchange they drop the cdi and goes all in for the Snes-CDi(they keep the name as legacy)

Deleted member 150598

As arrnaggedon say is all about the software, for phillips trully make the SNES-CD maybe phillips realize their CDi alone would not cut it but with nintendo they could do something better? In a way after some negotiations, Phillips could take Nintendo Distribution in Europe Outside Scandinavia(that is Bergsala territory)(note: the superfamicom have not debuted in europe yet, debuted in 1992, OTL) and some production and in exchange they drop the cdi and goes all in for the Snes-CDi(they keep the name as legacy)
Good point. In my alternate timeline, I was thinking of Philips postponing the CD-i to 1994 or 1996, but still be a failure and cease production in 2000. At the same time, I was thinking of Philips helping Nintendo with the Nintendo 64, giving it CDs or mini-discs, but I think it would be too much work for Philips, working on two projects at the same time.

Good point. In my alternate timeline, I was thinking of Philips postponing the CD-i to 1994 or 1996, but still be a failure and cease production in 2000. At the same time, I was thinking of Philips helping Nintendo with the Nintendo 64, giving it CDs or mini-discs, but I think it would be too much work for Philips, working on two projects at the same time.
That is why better Philips realizing CDi would be pushing too much or maybe would be not as good, better going safe going all in with Nintendo in videogames, well done could hit jackpot before Sony even.

Garrison

Donor
Watching a video that discussed the Nintendo licensed CD-I games last night and it seems to me issue was the attempt to take advantage of the capacity of the CD by creating truly awful animated cut scenes rather than improving the game play or graphics.

Watching a video that discussed the Nintendo licensed CD-I games last night and it seems to me issue was the attempt to take advantage of the capacity of the CD by creating truly awful animated cut scenes rather than improving the game play or graphics.
Sadly Unlike Japan when they added orchestras, longer games and anime(not cheap ones, but from proper anime studios like sunrise, xebec,gainax) cutscenes, western fucked early CD consoles for their lack of imagination

Deleted member 150598

That is why better Philips realizing CDi would be pushing too much or maybe would be not as good, better going safe going all in with Nintendo in videogames, well done could hit jackpot before Sony even.
The one obstacle of this alternate reality is that I like Sony’s success as an independent rival to Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft. I’m wondering how Sony could retain their successful reputation from OTL.

The one obstacle of this alternate reality is that I like Sony’s success as an independent rival to Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft. I’m wondering how Sony could retain their successful reputation from OTL.
Depends, Sony could still get Namco as an early second party and share a lot of early life SNES-CD games(before N64 ones are more powerful to run some games), SEGA killed itself so that count appart and with the butterflies Microsoft might not enter at all...And unlike you i don't give a flying dam to Sony, so don't care if they sucess or fail

Deleted member 150598

Depends, Sony could still get Namco as an early second party and share a lot of early life SNES-CD games(before N64 ones are more powerful to run some games), SEGA killed itself so that count appart and with the butterflies Microsoft might not enter at all...And unlike you i don't give a flying dam to Sony, so don't care if they sucess or fail
I was thinking of Sega and Microsoft ending up like how they did in @MegaToon1234’d Nintendo’s New Groove TL.

I was thinking of Sega and Microsoft ending up like how they did in @MegaToon1234’d Nintendo’s New Groove TL.
How? that TL after all wasn't very realistic, i commend the guy originality but his research was very weak and the tl was a massive miss. i never fully read it just, skim to about he to plagiarize Rysenkari or my own ideas from our TL either

Deleted member 150598

How? that TL after all wasn't very realistic, i commend the guy originality but his research was very weak and the tl was a massive miss. i never fully read it just, skim to about he to plagiarize Rysenkari or my own ideas from our TL either
I actually wanted to make a similar timeline to MegaToon's, but at the end of the day, research and originality is always key for making alternate timelines.

I actually wanted to make a similar timeline to MegaToon's, but at the end of the day, research and originality is always key for making alternate timelines.
I can't comment as i don't care megatoon one, but an advice..don't use other people ideas without their authorization

Deleted member 150598

I've been considering an alternate timeline where Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are on the same team. My inspiration comes from this link: https://www.thetoptens.com/things-nintendo-haters-actually-have-point-about/

Here is the screenshot to be specific:
2020-10-06.png

Deleted member 150598

God, most of that article is opinionated garbage. How much of this was written by Sony fans?
That’s TheTopTens for you. But my real inspiration comes from Nintendo and Microsoft’s current partnership and @Andrew Boyd ’s idea of Nintendo and Sony’s merger. Sorry if I didn’t admit that beforehand.

Nintendo and Microsoft’s current partnership
What partnership? those are just licensing deals as Xbox division needed quick cash to buy zenimax. If Anything Yamauchi was right, Microsoft have zero idea about the videogame market, they just bought zenimax so those could manage it better too

Last edited: