What if the Second Mexican Empire supports the Confederates?

I thought that, after a victory in Puebla, the second Mexican empire was established and intervened in the American Civil War. For the affinity of many confederates supported the French intervention and therefore the empire of Maximilian.
Although I also think that the Confederates will demand the California peninsula and the French will intervene in favor of Mexico.
Who would be Maximiliano's successor? Would Porfirio Diaz be president? What would happen to Central America?

Maximilian Gets couped if he sells teritory like what happened to Santa Anna, And possibly Santa Anna gets invited again by the conservatives that got pissed by Maximilian's decission to sell teritory to lead the country. A three way civil war happens next between Max's Loyalists, Juarez's Liberal remnants and Santa Anna's new faction out of the disgruntled conservatives. If he gives Mexican Teritory to the CSA that would most likely happen

Maximilian was only sympathetic to the plight of the Confederates after the civil war was nearly over, as he believed that reconciliation was not something the USA was pushing for. Maximilian is not going to start supporting the Confederates, much less hand over territory to the Confederates.

Just what could Maximilian do for the Confederates that he wasn't already doing? Mexico was being used as a conduit to avoid the Union naval blockade of Texas.

It won't help the Confederates. Mexico in this era has VERY limited ability to project power, and have massive internal problems. At most, I see the Department of Trans-Mississippi gaining 10 000 Mexican soldiers, which will not flip the balance at New Orleans, Shiloh or Vicksburg, not even mentioning campaign in the east.

The first railroad brigde over the Rio Grande (and first US-Mexican rail link) was constructed in 1883, so the ability of Mexico the be a hole in the union blockade to the benefit of the Confederacy is extremely limited, perhaps even nil.

The US might divert some more men to the Misssissippi to guard against any attempts by the Department of Trans-Mississippi, which might cause the war to become a month longer as it takes Sherman and Grant a few more weeks to gather the men and supplies for their war-finishing campaigns, but that is about it.

The Mexican Empire wouldn't help the Confederates without permission of France, the real question is how committed is France to this war?

The Mexican Empire wouldn't help the Confederates without permission of France, the real question is how committed is France to this war?
I'm afraid of being wrong. But Napoleon III wanted to expand his dominions to the American continent, so once Mexico supports the Confederate States, the latter demand the peninsula of California and Sonora or else they went to war.
The British Empire could see this as an opportunity to attack the weakened confederation, after events such as the Pig War or the Trent Affair.
I envisioned an alliance between France, Mexico, Spain and the United Kingdom to attack the Confederate states and, incidentally, restore the government of Abraham Lincoln.

I'm afraid of being wrong. But Napoleon III wanted to expand his dominions to the American continent, so once Mexico supports the Confederate States, the latter demand the peninsula of California and Sonora or else they went to war.
The British Empire could see this as an opportunity to attack the weakened confederation, after events such as the Pig War or the Trent Affair.
I envisioned an alliance between France, Mexico, Spain and the United Kingdom to attack the Confederate states and, incidentally, restore the government of Abraham Lincoln.
If I remember correctly, Maximilian basically pledged not to sell Mexican teritory and sovereinty to any nation. Expect his own conservative backers to basically coup him out if he did that, and his backers would most likely create a coalition with Juarez to oust the French and Maximilian out

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Maximilian basically pledged not to sell Mexican teritory and sovereinty to any nation. Expect his own conservative backers to basically coup him out if he did that, and his backers would most likely create a coalition with Juarez to oust the French and Maximilian out
Some conservatives, like Miguel Miramon (An important military man) hate the expansion of the united states. I think all sides would set their sights on the Confederate states if Davis threatened to invade Mexico.

Some conservatives, like Miguel Miramon (An important military man) hate the expansion of the united states. I think all sides would set their sights on the Confederate states if Davis threatened to invade Mexico.
If I am right, The Mexicans might be divided by ideology, liberals conservatives, federalists centralists, monarchists republicans but one thing will almost certainly unite them, it is when a foreign power tries to infringe Mexican sovereignty and take Mexican Land, especially the USA or CSA as they are basically from the US. They will unite against that and form a united front then fight again later after

Deleted member 2186

Maximilian was only sympathetic to the plight of the Confederates after the civil war was nearly over, as he believed that reconciliation was not something the USA was pushing for. Maximilian is not going to start supporting the Confederates, much less hand over territory to the Confederates.
But it could be fun to see a Mexican volunteer force fighting with the Confederates, also it will indrechtly bring the French Empire into the Civil War as the French where the main force behind the Second Mexican Empire.