What if the Japanese battleship Nagato was reactivated and pressed into JMSDF service?

South Dakota was a full generation more advanced then Nagato. Even the most modern Battleships were obsolescent in the Post War World. What is this fleet you think the Japanese had in their shipyards. They had some carriers, destroyers, and submarines. The carriers were obsolescent in the jet age, and would need major rebuilds like the American Essex Class did. The destroyers were good ships, but their armament, and fire control, accept for torpedoes needed to be completely replaced. The submarines, accept for the I-201 class were outdated junk.
The jet age wasn't in full swing by the time of the Korean War. The P-51 and the F4U Corsair was still widely used. I'm thinking the IJN carriers could house Mustangs, Corsairs, or even older Zeros.

The jet age wasn't in full swing by the time of the Korean War. The P-51 and the F4U Corsair was still widely used. I'm thinking the IJN carriers could house Mustangs, Corsairs, or even older Zeros.

Yes it was. In 1950 USN Carriers were flying F9F Panthers, and F2H Banshees. True the navy did fly the F4U Corsair for the first year of the Korean War, and the A-1 Skyraider served through the Vietnam War, but they could see they needed bigger carriers, with angled steel flight decks, and steam catapults. In 1949 the Corsair was in limited production, the Mustang was a land based fighter, and the Zero was obsolescent in 1945.

In 1949 Japan just couldn't afford the cost of operating aircraft carriers, and didn't want do deal with any remilitarization issues. Aircraft Carriers are for sea control, and offensive action, what would an occupied Japan need ships like that for?

I was thinking using the Nagato as a symbolic flagship of the JMSDF.

Akizuki-class destroyer could function as a helicarrier. Helicopters were already used during the Korean War.

If you need a symbolic flagship why not use MIKASA? A warship from a more distant war and is giving the Soviets the finger instead of the Americans. And at least the MIKASA won the war she participated in. Plus at this time both are old, outdated, and in terrible condition.

Regarding the AKIZUKI class while you could make them into helicarrier the question is why? They are going to be replaced soon and their primary mission is providing AA fire for the fleet so it would make more sense to put the helicopters on the asw dedicated ships instead.
And

I've read a few articles about post-war Japan from 1945 to 1980s. The U.S. primarily used Japan as an island chain that would block Soviet ships or subs from entering that second island chain in the Pacific. Hence we see most of the JMSDF perform ASW and area denial.