What if the British had kept New Ireland from Maine after the War of 1812?

Just why didn't the U.S. seek some sort of co-belligerence with France, anyway? At least to gain access to ports to operate from. Second Raid on Whitehaven...

There was bad blood with, and suspicion of, France after the Quasi-War. Things with Paris were so bad, the Francophile Jefferson seriously entertained an alliance with Britain against France (and Spain) in 1801.

TTL even this relatively unimportant tract of wilderness (as far as London and Washington may be concerned) would clearly mark the war as an American defeat. One that needs to be avenged...
Makes me wonder why the U.S. never tried to claim all of Canada south of the St. Lawrence. It's a natural border!

Makes me wonder why the U.S. never tried to claim all of Canada south of the St. Lawrence. It's a natural border!
I once thought this... when I was younger and stupider then it undoubtably still am.

It does look that way but as I understand it basically the geography of the land and the fact that the river was the main artery of trade and travel for centuries means that the south shore of Quebec is just so much more connected to the north then to upstate New York and to New England. I featured St. Lawrence borders in some of my maps once and a few members here set me straight.

If there's any part of Canada it's a miracle the US didn't get it's BC and the Prairies. If it came to "54-40 or fight" like some wanted there's no way we coulda won that war.