What if North Korea opened it's southen border for a few days?

King Thomas

Banned
Allowing a large number of refugees to pour over and seeding them with genuine criminals and some hardcore North Korean spies?

I can't see why North Korea would do that and tarnish their "image" as a worker's paradise.

And even if they did, I don't think South Korea would let them all in. They would certainly suspect something is going on. Also, I think that they might not want to take in millions of refugees at a moments notice.

I don't think that many North Koreans would try for it, most are brainwashed to think that they are the most free nation in the world. Probably at most 100,000-200,000 people would try to break for it, probably half working for the NK Government.

Assuming the DPRK opened the border, everyone crossing would have to make it through the several million landmines in the DMZ and then the American and RoK Troops on the other side. All said and done, no one gets to the other side.

Assuming the DPRK opened the border, everyone crossing would have to make it through the several million landmines in the DMZ and then the American and RoK Troops on the other side. All said and done, no one gets to the other side.
I do not see the ROK Army aond the US 8th shooting civilians crossing the DMZ:eek:

Not shooting, but definitely standing in the way. The RoK wouldn't open their border after the DPRK unilaterally opens their's.

The RoK wouldn't open their border after the DPRK unilaterally opens their's.
Why not? They see them as brothers don't they. Of course if a sudden large flux of people cross the borders South Korea will keep a close eye on them, but I don't see them sending them back to the north.

I think if any South Korean government didn't allow the refugees they would have a lot of trouble with the South Korean public. Many of the refugees would be relatives of people in the South. So imagine how angry many S koreans would be if the only chance their nan, mum or cousin had to get freedom it was denied by the government.
If that happened i could see the South Korean government falling.

The south would probably allow them in and place them in camps were they could be screened to assure the security service that the north wasn't trying to flood the south with agents.

The South would be worried about North Korea taking the opporunity to send in spies and sleeper agents, even if Kim Jong-il did go ahead with this after too much time at the liquor cabinet.

I can't see why North Korea would do that and tarnish their "image" as a worker's paradise.

And even if they did, I don't think South Korea would let them all in. They would certainly suspect something is going on. Also, I think that they might not want to take in millions of refugees at a moments notice.

Why wouldn't Kim simply take a page from Castro? Let a flood of refugees be your chance to get rid of all your dissidents and many of your criminals.

And why they necessarily have to cross the DMZ? Use small boats, which would be much harder for S Korea to stop. Obviously the best time would be in the summer.

Why wouldn't Kim simply take a page from Castro? Let a flood of refugees be your chance to get rid of all your dissidents and many of your criminals.

And why they necessarily have to cross the DMZ? Use small boats, which would be much harder for S Korea to stop. Obviously the best time would be in the summer.

Because that would, as stated already, cause damage to NK's propaganda imasge as a worker's paradise--what would the brainwashed populance think if suddenly thousands of them were scooting off to the south, if their home was so good?

Now I minagine all the guards at the border on the N. Korean side passed out while people rush by them.

"Hey, buddy, you awake? Buddy?"

"Yeah, what? How long was I out?"

*cuts to thousands of refugees rushing past*

"A while."

I don't think that many North Koreans would try for it, most are brainwashed to think that they are the most free nation in the world. Probably at most 100,000-200,000 people would try to break for it, probably half working for the NK Government.
I think the amount of brainwashing that they actually believe is vastly overrated. I read an article somewhere, I can't find the link right now, that listed tons upon tons of rumored uprisings, riots, etc. And I say rumored because foreign press isn't exactly allowed to roam there, but it's still safe to bet a large percentage of the populace at least is aware of just how crappy their country is.

At the very most, the propaganda might convince people things are just as bad everywhere else. It couldn't convince people things weren't crappy at home.

Everybody knows that they live in a crappy place, but the brainwashing convinces them that the cost of trying to get out or improving the situation is not worth it. If they suddenly get the chance/permission to leave, they will leave.

Koreans are not idiots and they'll probably be suspiscious at best and send all the North Koreans to refugee camps where they'll be searched for weapons or other strange devices.

Since a huge chunk of the North Korean population leaves this is a major headache for South Korea.

Koreans are not idiots and they'll probably be suspiscious at best and send all the North Koreans to refugee camps where they'll be searched for weapons or other strange devices.
Wow Confucius, you certainly changed a lot since I last met you in the year 470 BC.!!
I remember a time when you said stuff like:
Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself.
Of course Is still remember that that reference originally speaks about Karaoke parties and is often taken out of context, but still.

Hashasheen

Banned
Sure they are! I know some, total retards! :p Especially is one guy, tainted by American nationality of course, which makes it even worse... Casey Cho, you ever hear of him?