Is this even possible?

• Possible, despite how unlikely this scenario was due to backroom politics. Also 45= knock down!

• Hell no! Bill Clinton was correct in destroying M14s and the FN FAL will reign in the free world!

• Hell yes, America, Patriotism, Apple Pie, FREEDOM!!!

• Thanks, but no thanks Uncle Sam, I like to keep my 9mm Hipower.

• America should have adopted the FN FAL and perhaps they would have kept Saigon from falling

• M14 yes, M1911A1 no (We don't need a Forty Five Caliber cartridge with the Wild West in mind)

• M14 no, M1911A1 yes (FN FAL would have won out)

• I want no teenage drama queen, I want my M14!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think that there are a few things that you can do to have the M14/something relatively like the M14 be adopted by most, if not all of NATO through basically wanking the M14...

First, have the M1 Garand be produced in wartime-level production past the end of WWII (and possibly improve the rate of production further), either through bureaucratic mixups, general incompetence in the US government in not cancelling orders, ect. As many as you can; like say, eight million or more by the late 1940s? So many so that it's way more than even the US could possibly use.

Secondly, then have the US government then realize that they have a major surplus of Garands, and give them out like candy as foreign aid to other friendly nations, definitely including European ones. Have them start handing out Garands to even countries like the UK when the Korean War starts; basically, all the UN forces in Korea should be armed with the M1 Garand as their primary rifle.

Thirdly, have the M14 be designed earlier; early enough so that it can serve in Korea at least in limited quantities; the effect of real-world experience on the battlefield cannot be understated. It should come out at the same time that the FN FAL does, in 1951; if at all possible have it be introduced to the world even earlier.

Fourthly, don't have the M14 be the OTL M14; the OTL M14 was supposed to be able to be produced on the same machinery as the M1 Garand; instead have the Ordinance Board go a step further and decree that the ITTL M14 has to be able to be converted from existing Garands, or at the very least be able to take a lot of the parts from it. (you know, since they have so many of them) Have more modifications as well, like possibly the automatically compensating gas system from the M14. And make sure that it's designed in metric, not imperial units to start with. (The British might grumble, but eh, they'll just change the design to imperial units when they produce it like the L1A1)

Fifthly, continue to modify the design of the ITTL M14 (but when it's originally designed so that it's still available in Korea- so that the design can be modified still further due to wartime experience); add things from the FAL like a pistol grip, ability to use synthetic furniture, whatever you can do to reduce recoil, (through recoil springs, better muzzle breaks that can still be used to fire rifle grenades, ect- it should be comparable if not superior to the FAL in terms of recoil) possibly using the adjustable gas system from the FAL, variants with folding stocks, ect.

Maybe even possibly add additional features from future rifles, like the straight-line barrel stock system from the AR-10/M16 and maybe even developing Picatinny rails, placing them on the top of the M14 and possibly under the barrel to provide more advantages for adopting the altM14.

Sixthly, if you can design a LMG based on the altM14 with a heavier barrel and stock, bipod, quick-change barrel, ect, and make sure that it actually works as a LMG; it's fine if it's a lot heavier, in fact that's a bonus as it reduces the recoil. (Say, closer to the weight of the Bren than the heavy-barrel FAL or the M15 variant of the OTL M14) Develop a thirty-round curved box magazine (possibly made from aluminum to reduce weight; look into developing lighter 20 round box magazines as well) for the LMG variant that is interchangeable with the 20-round box magazines from the standard altM14, possibly similar to the OTL ones developed for the L2A1 support weapon version of the L1A1. (though hopefully curved ones that don't have feeding difficulties) Having this adopted isn't probably as important and shouldn't really be pushed for too hard, but it'll provide an additional point in favor for the altM14 as the LMG variant will share parts and design with the base rifle.

Seventhly, un-screw up US weapons procurement so that the altM14 can be produced in large quantities fast enough, unlike OTL, both in conversions from the M1 and in new production. And with much higher quality than OTL. (Possibly allow American reequipping with the M14 to be slowed down to at least partially prioritize foreign orders so that other countries don't have to wait too long to get their M14s which would drive them towards the FAL)

Once the members of NATO are looking for a new rifle to replace their old WWII era rifles, one that is firing the new .308 cartridge, offer them this altM14; tell them that if they standardize on the altM14 they'll be able to license-produce it for free, as standardizing equipment between NATO members is more important than money from licensing. (And to equalize the playing field with the FAL which was also allowed to be licensed out for free to most NATO members.) Maybe even to sweeten the deal, agree that if a country agrees to adopt the altM14 the US will send them a (decent) quantity of even more surplus M1 Garands from their stocks that they can convert into M14s for only the cost of shipping them there.

That should be enough to get almost all of the rest of NATO to accept the altM14 as their primary service rifle; by making the altM14 good enough so that it is superior to the FAL, having it able to be converted from existing M1 Garand stocks that are much above what they have OTL so the M14 can be made cheaply, being generous with licensing requirements, sending out more M1 Garands, and through having enough production so that everyone in NATO can get a M14 if they want one, and finally through having the M14 be available earlier so that the design is given enough time to mature, so that its efficacy is proven in real-world combat conditions, and so that it's available when the FAL is (or maybe even before) instead of being left in the dust like OTL.

One more thing: Like you said, make a deal with the Belgians to adopt the FN MAG if they stop campaigning for the FN FAL and start producing the altM14, give them free licenses to produce the altM14, and also send them a boatload (or ten) of extra surplus M1 Garands that FN can cheaply convert to altM14s. And possibly bring in Belgian designers from FN to help create/improve the altM14 so that they have even more of a foot in the door, so to speak, as well as allowing them to create their own variants. Combined with the rest of NATO adopting the altM14, that should be enough to get the Belgians to adopt it as well- as long as the Americans actually adopt the FN MAG instead of going "screw the agreement, NIH" and blowing them off, like what happened OTL with the UK and the US over the .280 British cartridge, the American .308 cartridge, the FN FAL and the M14. (To get the British to accept both the altM14 and the .308 cartridge, make a deal so that as long as they do both then the Americans will send them a very large amount of M1 Garands that they can cheaply convert into altM14s, which should be quite attractive to cash-strapped Britain as it'll save a lot of money. (Well, not too much, but every little bit helps...) And maybe other concessions as well, like an understanding that the US would explicitly support British interests in the Suez Canal, after the overthrow of the Egyptian monarchy in 1952? Or maybe slightly more favorable terms for a portion of Britain's war debt.)

All this probably isn't really what you want, (especially making the M14 be not the OTL M14) but eh, it'll work, and it'd probably be better in the long run than NATO adopting the OTL M14. (Or maybe even better than if the US adopted the FAL if the altM14 is good enough)

Also, if you want an earlier POD to make adoption of the altM14 even more likely, have the US adopt the Pedersen rifle/Garand in .276 Pedersen with a ten-round clip (or a slightly different version of it that doesn't use waxed ammunition :/) instead of the OTL .30-06 Garand with an eight-round clip, and have them adopt a shortened and lightened carbine version of the Pedersen/Garand with a 533mm barrel instead of the M1 Carbine. (Should be somewhat longer and heavier than the M1 Carbine, but as it has the same ammunition and shares a very high percentage of parts with the Pedersen/Garand it would be very attractive logistically and training wise- after all, they're the vast majority the same weapon) That would cause even more Garands to be available to give away to other countries after the war and once it's time for the altM14, and would also probably mean that the US would push for (thus NATO would adopt) standardizing on the same .276 Pedersen/7x51mm cartridge as used in the Pedersen/Garand instead of the OTL .308 (which would be better overall besides!) which means that the barrels from the Garands and even more parts could be reused in the altM14s, as well as making the altM14s more controllable in fully automatic fire, which was a major problem with most .308 battle rifles OTL but especially the OTL M14. (And it would head off a lot of complaints that happened OTL due to the adoption of .308, as .276 is a proven cartridge due to being used in WWII, has a lot of ammunition in stock left over from the war (even if the condition of said ammunition is dubious), is less powerful than .308 so is better for automatic fire, and is already available.)

To adopt the M1911... well, if the US overproduces M1911s during and after WWII then sends out decent quantities to NATO as aid I can see the M1911 being widely adopted through (almost) all of NATO, though as only for use by special forces with a suppressor for silenced use as standard .45ACP rounds are already subsonic. I'm pretty sure 9mm Parabellum is already too entrenched by this time to be replaced by something else; and it's honestly better in my opinion than .45ACP. Maybe if the US gives everyone in NATO enough M1911s to equip every single one of their soldiers and then some with one, along with more ammunition than the collective barrel life of all of the M1911s they have combined, but otherwise don't really see that happening. (okay, definitely an exaggeration, but still.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

Basically make the select fire, box fed M1 Garand prototype from 1945 into the M14. Forget the 7.62 NATO, it really didn't offer any substantial improvement over the existing .30-06 other than reducing the power and length a bit. Well that or have the POD being that the .276 Pedersen get adopted in 1930 so that OTL M1 Garand morphs into a select fire, box fed variant called the M14. Or have the US adopt the .276 Pedersen T2 cartridge post-WW2 instead of developing the 7.62 NATO (they had roughly the same case dimensions just with a different caliber of bullet) so that the M14 could be extremely simplified in development. That M14 would be a world beater.

Basically make the select fire, box fed M1 Garand prototype from 1945 into the M14. Forget the 7.62 NATO, it really didn't offer any substantial improvement over the existing .30-06 other than reducing the power and length a bit. Well that or have the POD being that the .276 Pedersen get adopted in 1930 so that OTL M1 Garand morphs into a select fire, box fed variant called the M14. Or have the US adopt the .276 Pedersen T2 cartridge post-WW2 instead of developing the 7.62 NATO (they had roughly the same case dimensions just with a different caliber of bullet) so that the M14 could be extremely simplified in development. That M14 would be a world beater.

What you said is definitely a big part, yes, but there has to be a compelling reason for the rest of NATO to standardize on the M14 instead of going for the FAL, G3, or developing their own rifle; as well, even if the altM14 and the FAL (if the US standardizes on .276 Pedersen instead of .308, then they're going to insist on that for NATO; thus the FAL will be chambered in .276 as well) are comparable (and finish development at the same time), at least some countries are going to select the FAL due to the fact that it'll take too long for the US to equip its troops with altM14s (compared to the much smaller Belgian army), the free licensing from FN, bias in weapons procurement/government sectors, national pride, as well as random chance if nothing else.

I think that there has to be a compelling argument for the altM14 over the FAL to get everyone to standardize it; which is why I suggested having the US have a (much) greater surplus of Garands that they can give away to foreign countries combined with the altM14 being able to be converted from the Garand like the BM 59 was; that makes the altM14 much cheaper than the FAL or G3 as it isn't building a new weapon but modifying an existing one (which you have stocks of/can get stocks of as the US would probably give away for free large quantities of their extra Garands to be converted as an incentive to accept the altM14; obviously this still probably wouldn't cover the needs of their entire military but the savings should be huge even still), which should be extremely attractive for NATO countries, who are still recovering from WWII.

Deleted member 1487

It all sounds like the Beretta BM59 would be a better fit than the M14.
Eh, basically the same thing, but with more recoiling mass thanks to the long stroke gas piston.
A .276 Pedersen Garand would basically be the BM59 minus the box mag and select fire, which shouldn't be hard to implement in the base Garand. It was only tough IOTL due to the length of the .30-06 cartridge, which required major receiver mods. The BM59 worked because it used the shorter, nearly identical to the finalized .276 Pedersen cartridge, 7.62 NATO cartridge.

@Winged-One

I appreciate your suggestion and respect your opinion but I'm sticking with the OTL M14 and will be unwavering when it comes to the rifle as respectfully otherwise this thread would be about the BM-59 overtaking the FAL ;)

With the clarification out of the way, here's what I have thought so far:

One of the point of divergences I'm looking at is Earle Harvey's T25 / T47 prototype getting ditched earlier in favor of the T44 design. The T25 evolved into the T47 and it was a strong contender until it was found to be less reliable than the T44 yet the prototype wasn't dropped until April of 1953.

If the T44 was prioritized sooner instead of testing more, well, radical designs like bullpups and it wasn't being designed alongside the T47 then I guesstimate that something akin to the T44E4 could've been fabricated by early 1952 at the earliest but no later than the Summer of 1953 at the latest.

Granted, it is a speculated guess in light of the dillydallying with different systems occurring in the midst of budget cuts and hardly any employee retainment at Springfield Armory OTL.

Another potential POD I'm considering is a different Secretary of Defense under the Eisenhower Administration, namely and specifically Merritt "Red Mike" Edson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merritt_A._Edson

The problem, however, is I'm unsure if Edson was on Eisenhower's shortlist to be SecDef OTL, not to mention the tense interservice rivalry Post-War with Truman declaring the Corps to have a propaganda machine that rival Stalin's, which could make this ASB even if he was advocating for increased marksmanship in the military and otherwise would be a decent candidate.

There's also the hurdle of nuclear umbrella taking precedence under Ike but since the Soviets were prioritizing conventional forces, maybe there's a slim chance to have a flexible response earlier ITTL and I'm open to any suggestions due to truthfully a lack of knowledge about the Eisenhower Administration.

The third idea was to expand military aid. As aforementioned, most of the European nations that used M1 Garands exchanged them for FALs but if the European defense industry was more crumbled than OTL, then perhaps American equipment is more prevalent.

In mention of the above, Fourth was to have the Fabrique Nationale factory pulverized, delaying development of the FAL in Belgium yet before anyone say anything even I believe it to be unrealistic as the FAL would be designed in Britain instead but speaking of which...

The fifth and final thought is too open to butterflies and would make this thread moot but
If Dieudonné Saive drowned in the English Channel while attempting to escape from occupied europe, then the FAL would never have a chance. :evilsmile:

Admittedly it's a backup in case the first timeline in the court of public opinion is deemed heretical and unfeasible even if I made a convincing case but I sincerely prefer attempting to have the OTL M14 in the hands of Tommies, the Bundeswehr, Belgians, etc by displacing the FAL design.

Overall, once I get everything together, hopefully it will be feasible and withstand the cherry picking :p

The issue is by most metrics the FAL and m14 were pretty close. With one massive difference. Quality control. More M14s being made just means more M14s with all the OTL issues. Soon as they crop up NATO is going to go looking at FALs or G3 instead. Sure now eventually those problems were solved. But it took decades. Sure they got modded to be DMRs in the sandbox. But that was do to USA having racks of them in storage that had been refurbished and were like new. Then got replaced by new more modern designs as time passed.NATO could in theory make their own, which might help with the quality issue. But most of NATO from day one did not want the M14. More M1s likely just means NATO kicks the can of need to upgrade a few years down the road. Which leads to them watching the massive screw up of M14 production and it's issues... which means either FN or HK get called to make anything but that messed up American rifle that is a mess...
M1911A1 is also a issue. Most of Europe was on 9mm. Sure one can prob convert a a 1911 to 9.mm but.... why would NATO choose the new colt over browning hi power or what what ever is offered?

having FN, H&K and Beretta build the M14 would solve the QC problems, than TRW and H&R
True. Question then is would they want the contracts and would Americans allow them to build them? If answer to both was yes then sure I could see the M14 or whatever various NATO countries choose to name it being a decent battle rifle more or less on par with OTL FAL.

having FN, H&K and Beretta build the M14 would solve the QC problems, than TRW and H&R

@marathag

Respectfully I think you mean Winchester instead of TRW. :)

TRW actually made history for not suffering a single rejection during DOD inspection so if that's somehow an example of a junk product then I guess Gordon Ramsay is an exemplar representation of a fast food chef.

TRW also became the first (and possibly only) commercial manufacturer of National Match rifles for the United States military as well as a result.

Alright, here's what I have come up with and feel free to nitpick if you insist but anyway I did come across this passage from The Last Steel Warrior that seemed to be a decent point of divergence (Quoted word for word from Page 59) :

A representative from Springfield Armory attended a four-day conference held from 16 May through 20 May 1955 at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield, Middlesex England. The conference was initiated by the British government was the first in a series to promote cooperation and eventual tripartite NATO standardization of the Belgian FN rifle.

Both the T48 and T44E4 rifles were initially tested under arctic conditions during the winter of 1954 - 1955. Both of the rifles were also concurrently undergoing testing at Fort Benning, Georgia. Results from both locations reported that the T44E4 rifle was proving superior. Fort Benning reported that the T48 rifles were experiencing functioning problems under dusty conditions. Similar problems were encountered with the FAL rifles during desert testing by Great Britain. To address the problem a small delegation of Americans who represented the U.S. contractors, visited the Royal Arms Factory in England and the Fabrique Nationale factory in Liege, Belgium. The problem was traced to the FAL’s close tolerances between the bolt carrier and the receiver. The Belgium engineers suggested the incorporation of “sand cuts”, or longitudinal grooves machined into the bolt carriers, this eventually solved the problem.

But what if it didn’t?

What if the measurements were off and malfunctions continued on both sides of the Atlantic?

If the Mars Climate Orbiter space probe was lost and the T24 machine gun was unsuccessfully reverse engineered due to different measurements, then what if the calculations were incorrect?

What if the bad publicity gradually got out of hand internationally by sensational media and led to the downfall of the FAL instead of the M14?​
======================================

December 5th, 1954: During testing in Big Delta, Alaska, the Fabrique Nationale design malfunctioned in the winter climate, and much to the embarrassment of the engineers, when they attempted to relieve the gas system, it failed to chamber a new round.

May 16th - 20th,1955: A conference was held in Great Britain on the matter of convincing the U.S. to adopt the FAL even though it would be in Inch instead of Metric but the meeting was inconclusive.

July 26th, 1955: A Canadian reporter observing the latest rounds of tests being conducted at Fort Benning reported on the continuation of the T48 failing to eject rounds.

Prepared for such a calamity, a special representative from Fabrique Nationale handed out a ‘metric’ pattern made at the FN Herstal facility in Belgium only for the barrel to blow up on the fifth shot, startling the young GI who was firing it and to make things worse, the present news cameras snapped a picture of Dieudonné Saive, the designer of the rifle himself, openly cursing in rage at the turn of events.

August 12th, 1955: After some debate within the cabinet due to the headlines about the whole debacle comparing the FAL with the T44E4 south of the border and reports from Britain in regards to reliability issues remaining unsolved, Prime Minister Louis Stephen St. Laurent of Canada decided that no further examples of the Fabrique Nationale design would be built until after a complete review by the Canadian Military.

Grumbling at a potential wastage of taxpayer’s funds due to being the first nation to jump the gun in accepting the now being regarded as cursed rifle, the Canadians begrudgingly decided that it might be wise to consider restarting the development of the EX-2 self-loading rifle albeit chambered in the NATO cartridge as a fallback while waiting on the progress of the American T44E4.

Either way, Canada was going to have a rifle and one that wasn't another Ross.

May 1st, 1956: The T44E4 was formerly adopted as the United States Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm, M14 and classified as the "Standard A" infantry weapon of the United States Armed Forces with the T44E5 being designated as the M15 Squad Automatic Weapon.

June 6th, 1956: With up to date drawings that included the latest design changes and specifications, not to mention funds procured from the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee in hand, the Ordnance Department issued contracts out to Harrington & Richardson and Winchester to start producing the M14 after the two firms won the bid.

July 4th, 1956: Whenever symbolically intentional or not, on Independence Day an agreement was struck between Canada, Great Britain, and the United States for the Canadian Arsenal Limited and Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield to produce the M14 without a license in return for a small reduction in repaying loans dating back to the Second World War.

July 20th, 1956: Newsweek hinted that NATO might adopt the American M14 over the Belgian FAL as the standard arm across the entire anti-Communist alliance, especially as the British and Canada has accepted the American design in the face of the problematic FAL.

October 9th, 1956 : Capitulating to the inevitable, Fabrique Nationale somehow managed to gain a contract to produce the M14 and the United States government vowed to support the Mitrailleuse d'Appui Général in the scheduled STANAG meeting in December, particularly when U.S. Army Ordnance learned that it was based off the Browning Automatic Rifle.

December 15th, 1956 : The North Atlantic Treaty Organization officially standardized on the T44E4/ M14 as the main battle rifle and the heavy-barrel T44E5 / M15 variant as the Squad Automatic Weapon.

In a saving grace in face of bad luck, the FN MAG was also to become the General Purpose Machine Gun for the alliance.

======
It obviously contains a few butterflies so here's my justification:

Canada OTL did announce that they would use the .280 British round only if the U.S. did as well and in 1954 they were the first nation in the world to adopt the FAL, unexpectedly purchasing two thousand samples when the norm for military acceptance testing was only one hundred or so rifles.

While it's contradictory as depending on the source the T48 waa either purely produced by Harrington & Richardson or the designation applied to "Metric" samples sent from Fabrique Nationale as well, I went the former and when Saive himself was present at Benning ITTL, he handed out a FN produced one only for it to by fate fail.

But depending on your point of view, you could say that ITTL it was due to the reliability issues per conflicting sources such as from the Six Days War, for whatever reason was unsuccessfully scaled up for 7.62 like the EM-2, the different measurements being off (Metric System vs Imperial), or it was sabotaged by Patriotic Americancentric Yanks serving in the CIA.

Overall, I think this POD might have been the best chance for the M14 to become the Right Arm of the Free World!:extremelyhappy:

Last edited:
Alright, here's what I have come up with and feel free to nitpick if you insist but anyway I did come across this passage from The Last Steel Warrior that seemed to be a decent point of divergence (Quoted word for word from Page 59) :

A representative from Springfield Armory attended a four-day conference held from 16 May through 20 May 1955 at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield, Middlesex England. The conference was initiated by the British government was the first in a series to promote cooperation and eventual tripartite NATO standardization of the Belgian FN rifle.

Both the T48 and T44E4 rifles were initially tested under arctic conditions during the winter of 1954 - 1955. Both of the rifles were also concurrently undergoing testing at Fort Benning, Georgia. Results from both locations reported that the T44E4 rifle was proving superior. Fort Benning reported that the T48 rifles were experiencing functioning problems under dusty conditions. Similar problems were encountered with the FAL rifles during desert testing by Great Britain. To address the problem a small delegation of Americans who represented the U.S. contractors, visited the Royal Arms Factory in England and the Fabrique Nationale factory in Liege, Belgium. The problem was traced to the FAL’s close tolerances between the bolt carrier and the receiver. The Belgium engineers suggested the incorporation of “sand cuts”, or longitudinal grooves machined into the bolt carriers, this eventually solved the problem.

But what if it didn’t?

What if the measurements were off and malfunctions continued on both sides of the Atlantic?

If the Mars Climate Orbiter space probe was lost and the T24 machine gun was unsuccessfully reverse engineered due to different measurements, then what if the calculations were incorrect?

What if the bad publicity gradually got out of hand internationally by sensational media and led to the downfall of the FAL instead of the M14?​
======================================

December 5th, 1954: During testing in Big Delta, Alaska, the Fabrique Nationale design malfunctioned in the winter climate, and much to the embarrassment of the engineers, when they attempted to relieve the gas system, it failed to chamber a new round.

May 16th - 20th,1955: A conference was held in Great Britain on the matter of convincing the U.S. to adopt the FAL even though it would be in Inch instead of Metric but the meeting was inconclusive.

July 26th, 1955: A Canadian reporter observing the latest rounds of tests being conducted at Fort Benning reported on the continuation of the T48 failing to eject rounds.

Prepared for such a calamity, a special representative from Fabrique Nationale handed out a ‘metric’ pattern made at the FN Herstal facility in Belgium only for the barrel to blow up on the fifth shot, startling the young GI who was firing it and to make things worse, the present news cameras snapped a picture of Dieudonné Saive, the designer of the rifle himself, openly cursing in rage at the turn of events.

August 12th, 1955: After some debate within the cabinet due to the headlines about the whole debacle comparing the FAL with the T44E4 south of the border and reports from Britain in regards to reliability issues remaining unsolved, Prime Minister Louis Stephen St. Laurent of Canada decided that no further examples of the Fabrique Nationale design would be built until after a complete review by the Canadian Military.

Grumbling at a potential wastage of taxpayer’s funds due to being the first nation to jump the gun in accepting the now being regarded as cursed rifle, the Canadians begrudgingly decided that it might be wise to consider restarting the development of the EX-2 self-loading rifle albeit chambered in the NATO cartridge as a fallback while waiting on the progress of the American T44E4.

Either way, Canada was going to have a rifle and one that wasn't another Ross.

May 1st, 1956: The T44E4 was formerly adopted as the United States Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm, M14 and classified as the "Standard A" infantry weapon of the United States Armed Forces with the T44E5 being designated as the M15 Squad Automatic Weapon.

June 6th, 1956: With up to date drawings that included the latest design changes and specifications, not to mention funds procured from the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee in hand, the Ordnance Department issued contracts out to Harrington & Richardson and Winchester to start producing the M14 after the two firms won the bid.

July 4th, 1956: Whenever symbolically intentional or not, on Independence Day an agreement was struck between Canada, Great Britain, and the United States for the Canadian Arsenal Limited and Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield to produce the M14 without a license in return for a small reduction in repaying loans dating back to the Second World War.

July 20th, 1956: Newsweek hinted that NATO might adopt the American M14 over the Belgian FAL as the standard arm across the entire anti-Communist alliance, especially as the British and Canada has accepted the American design in the face of the problematic FAL.

October 9th, 1956 : Capitulating to the inevitable, Fabrique Nationale somehow managed to gain a contract to produce the M14 and the United States government vowed to support the Mitrailleuse d'Appui Général in the scheduled STANAG meeting in December, particularly when U.S. Army Ordnance learned that it was based off the Browning Automatic Rifle.

December 15th, 1956 : The North Atlantic Treaty Organization officially standardized on the T44E4/ M14 as the main battle rifle and the heavy-barrel T44E5 / M15 variant as the Squad Automatic Weapon.

In a saving grace in face of bad luck, the FN MAG was also to become the General Purpose Machine Gun for the alliance.

======
It obviously contains a few butterflies so here's my justification:

Canada OTL did announce that they would use the .280 British round only if the U.S. did as well and in 1954 they were the first nation in the world to adopt the FAL, unexpectedly purchasing two thousand samples when the norm for military acceptance testing was only one hundred or so rifles.

While it's contradictory as depending on the source the T48 waa either purely produced by Harrington & Richardson or the designation applied to "Metric" samples sent from Fabrique Nationale as well, I went the former and when Saive himself was present at Benning ITTL, he handed out a FN produced one only for it to by fate fail.

But depending on your point of view, you could say that ITTL it was due to the reliability issues per conflicting sources such as from the Six Days War, for whatever reason was unsuccessfully scaled up for 7.62 like the EM-2, the different measurements being off (Metric System vs Imperial), or it was sabotaged by Patriotic Americancentric Yanks serving in the CIA.

Overall, I think this POD might have been the best chance for the M14 to become the Right Arm of the Free World!:extremelyhappy:

I suspect once Canada began running their own trials with their initial batch of FAL's they were likely to end up adopting and making their own FAL's. (Unless perhaps a free option that was good enough was on the table.)

Post ww2 Canada seemed to go largely in their own direction re military small arms.

Last edited:
I suspect once Canada began running their own trials with their initial batch of FAL's they were likely to end up adopting and making the their own FAL's. (Unless perhaps a free option that was good enough was on the table.)

Post ww2 Canada seemed to go largely in their own direction re military small arms.

But ITTL there's uncertainty now and the Canadians are going have to review their purchase in the face of reliability issues coming to light.

If the Canadians had rejected the FAL, it is likely they would have go to the G3.

In the western battle rifles of the 50s, the FAL is first, closely followed by G3, then you have the MAS as a distant third, the M14 and dérivatives far below.

If the FAL did not work out properly, before NATO adopts the M14, you have to eliminate G3, MAS, BM59 and a few others.

Sure... I suppose if there was a fundamental flaw with the FAL that did not exist in our time line the Canadians might have rejected it as well.
@Blue cat

The Isrealis experienced quite a few flaws with the FAL's reliability during the Six Days War though granted in all fairness I couldn't find any data about the Canadian testing and why they concluded to adopt the rifle so that above scenario was speculative and a worst case what-if.

If the Canadians had rejected the FAL, it is likely they would have go to the G3.

In the western battle rifles of the 50s, the FAL is first, closely followed by G3, then you have the MAS as a distant third, the M14 and dérivatives far below.

If the FAL did not work out properly, before NATO adopts the M14, you have to eliminate G3, MAS, BM59 and a few others.
@Korlan

Maybe but the G3 was fielded in 1956 by West Germany due to no being able to license the production of FALs and Norway didn't adopt it until 1960 if I remember correctly and I'm going off the top of my head here.

What I find interesting is that in spite of the M1 Garand being adopted by the United States Army in 1936, flaws were still being worked out until 1939 and there has been similar experience with procuring military rifles throughout history across many nations yet everyone criticizes the M14.

The FAL isn't perfect and not even the Kalashnikov is perfect but at the same time I think we can all at least agree that unjust criticism is unjust and fair criticism is fair.

To step back and use the experience with the Garand example as a baseline, mass production doesn't happen overnight and if the wrong material is sent, everything can go haywire.

If you go back and see what evidence I posted about why there was manufacturing problems, I see a major Point of Divergence there in its own right and while we may never know, the M14 could still be in service as a frontline Infantry rifle to this very day if the order to produce was effective immediately instead of months later and the Steel Strike of 1959 didn't occur, the latter of which also having the plausible benefit of averting the Rust Belt and decline of steel mills in the U.S. all together.

The more I read about it, the more and more I keep seeing that fate prevented the M14 from becoming as renown as the M1 Rifle and despite the resurrection as a stopgap, it potential was taken from it OTL.