Is this even possible?

• Possible, despite how unlikely this scenario was due to backroom politics. Also 45= knock down!

• Hell no! Bill Clinton was correct in destroying M14s and the FN FAL will reign in the free world!

• Hell yes, America, Patriotism, Apple Pie, FREEDOM!!!

• Thanks, but no thanks Uncle Sam, I like to keep my 9mm Hipower.

• America should have adopted the FN FAL and perhaps they would have kept Saigon from falling

• M14 yes, M1911A1 no (We don't need a Forty Five Caliber cartridge with the Wild West in mind)

• M14 no, M1911A1 yes (FN FAL would have won out)

• I want no teenage drama queen, I want my M14!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 1487

It fires an "intermediate cartridge". I think you're making a self-severing change in the meaning of the term. Why?
5.56 is not an intermediate cartridge. It's too powerful to be in the category for it's caliber.

Did they? The FG-42 which was the first rifle fired a full calibre round. The Belgium FN-49 fired a full calibre round. They both predate the M16 by a wide margin.
Not sure what you're getting at here.

The FN-Fal was adopted by how many armies as their standard weapon? How many adopted the M14? The FN-FAL was a superior design. QED.
How many were even offered the M14? Plus the FAL conquered the market before the M14 was even available in numbers to the US military. By what standard is the FAL a superior design?

You obviously fail to understand that the SLR is the FAL's semi auto only version.

Have you ever been trained properly on the L1a1? I doubt it. I am well aware that the L1a1 is the semi-auto version of the FN-FAL. There are though, significant other differences. It has a non-reciprocating charging handle. It has different sights. It has a different flash-hider, it has a different bayonet, apart from just firing semi-automatically. It is also manufactured to imperial measurements, rather than metric ones. I have spent several thousand hours instructing on the L1a1 and the L2a1. I have spent several thousand hours on the range. I do know the differences.

5.56 is not an intermediate cartridge. It's too powerful to be in the category for it's caliber.
? Does calibre matter is "intermediate" not just that its between "rifle" (ie 30cal standard WWI/WWII rifle) and pistol (9mm/45 etc out of SMG) in energy/recoil terms?

@HistoryGunsFreedom1776 Why would anybody want an M14 when they could instead have an AR 10?

InRange's mud test isn't supposed to show how well a gun performs after hundreds of rounds. The creators have said that they want to check how sealed a gun is. M14 completely exposes the inside of its receiver to mud so of course it will jam.

As aforementioned, what Inrange TV used in the test was a commercial M1A and not a USGI M14.

Due to law, the receiver isn't exactly military specifications, it's cast instead of forged

It also so I wonder if they use grease on the action as well?

Anyway, speaking of reliability of the M14, there are these two videos being upheld by critics of the M14 as evidence about why the rifle stinks.

The problem however is that these were produced by the commercial firm Springfield Armory, Inc. , not the long shuttered except in a museum capacity Springfield Armory as this video also by Gun Jesus explains:

Here are the two reasons as to why :

1) Even though the commercial firm initially did use surplus USGI components in initial production of M1As, these dried up around 2003 and it didn't help that the DOD was actually repurchasing the surplus parts

So all we know for sure is that its a M1A, not when it was produced.

2) Even if it was built with even a hint of USGI surplus parts, the barrel and receiver group of the rifle is not built exactly to United States military specifications, especially in the case of the receiver due to the Hughes Amendment and the fact that the receiver is cast instead of forged to boot.

Now would an actual M14 do better in the sand and mud?

Maybe, maybe not but most sources I have read attests to the reliability in different environments and conditions with the rifles accepted into service, including those from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Therefore, even though it is highly unlikely, it would've been better to use an actual TRW produced M14 as issued to the troops or a later production Winchester or H&R after they passed inspection.

Hell, it would've been nice for the U.S. Department of Defense to have conducted a study about reliability after the production issues faced by Winchester and H&R as detailed in the Take Two post.

A better comparison would be testing a TRW M14 against a L1A1 produced by Enfield, allow the best of the best upheld by their respective adherents to see exactly how durable they are.

The day, regrettably, is again unlikely and it is only speculative base on the information from over sixty years of publications.

Deleted member 1487

? Does calibre matter is "intermediate" not just that its between "rifle" (ie 30cal standard WWI/WWII rifle) and pistol (9mm/45 etc out of SMG) in energy/recoil terms?
Within that caliber. I.E. .30 caliber intermediate powered cartridge.
A 5.56 NATO is a full powered battle rifle cartridge for that caliber.

Within that caliber. I.E. .30 caliber intermediate powered cartridge.
A 5.56 NATO is a full powered battle rifle cartridge for that caliber.
Is the traditional "intermediate" label not separate from calibre? I have never heard of 556 being called a "full powered battle rifle cartridge"?

Is it not normally just broken down into,
Full powered battle rifle cartridges - 30-06, 7.62NATO, 303, 7.62x54R, etc... (traditional rifle rounds)
Intermediate rifle cartridges a mix of 7.9K, 7.62x39, 5.56, 5.45 etc.... (sufficiently small you can fire full auto from shoulder semi controllably)
SMGs cartridges 9, 45,....etc (pistol rounds)

Is that not more just cost savings and does it actually make much difference?

To be honest, I have read arguments both ways in regards to it with one side claiming cast is not as durable as forged and more susceptible to having a catastrophic failure while the other view is that due to recent advancements, cast is just as strong but for less cost.

But it's a moot point in regards to the M14s that were accepted into service by the United States military as all of the receivers are forged.

Deleted member 1487

Is the traditional "intermediate" label not separate from calibre? I have never heard of 556 being called a "full powered battle rifle cartridge"?
I've never heard of the 5.56 being called an intermediate powered cartridge. That is reserved for a medium velocity larger caliber rifle cartridge.
5.56 is just called SCHV normally.

Is it not normally just broken down into,
Full powered battle rifle cartridges - 30-06, 7.62NATO, 303, 7.62x54R, etc... (traditional rifle rounds)
Intermediate rifle cartridges a mix of 7.9K, 7.62x39, 5.56, 5.45 etc.... (sufficiently small you can fire full auto from shoulder semi controllably)
SMGs cartridges 9, 45,....etc (pistol rounds)
Not really. SCHV is it's own category.

Are they not anyway mostly moving to AR10 (or really scaled back up AR15 now) based systems as they are better?

The M110 malfunctioned at a rate higher than the M14 EBR per a source I read and I will have to find it as I was prepared for comparing the M14 to the FAL but the reason why the M110 was adopted in the first place was because of parts for the M14 were drying up (in fact General Dynamics iirc were contracted to manufacture a linited run of spare parts for the M14) and training commonality with the M16/M4 platform.

Are they not anyway mostly moving to AR10 (or really scaled back up AR15 now) based systems as they are better?

I seem to recall that the AR10 or perhaps scaled up AR15 platform seems to have been adopted by some former FAL users for their "battle rifle" or "designated marksman rifle" or what ever one wants to call military issue 7.62x51 rifles that are at least semi auto if not full auto these days..

US version of the FAL? Would it have been good who had made it? although it has nothing to do because the US did not test the M16 in the Philippines as a test before introducing it in Vietnam it could help since they had done a training or something like that

Can we give up on the 'intermediate' taxonomy? It is a term of speech not a technical specification. Rifle cartridge intended for [indeterminate]shorter ranges with less recoil than [indeterminate]powerful ones that can reach many hundreds of metres with [indeterminate]effective fire. 'Intermediate' is used as loosely as 'musket shot' was in the past (which was about 300 yards FWIW). There is no correct definition to argue is the true Word of (insert preferred deity here). 'Assault' rifles were intended to be used in semi automatic fire until one actually is assaulting an enemy position whereon automatic fire is to be used and hence a weaker cartridge is chosen which allows automatic fire from the shoulder with control. Thus the AK47. It then got taken over by US politicians intent on shocking the public into supporting their views on gun control or, cynically, to sound as if they they cared and were taking action.

You know what, while it will take some time, just for the hell of it, maybe I should make a timeline for this thread based on the premise here and @Blue cat might have been on to something.

If the U.S. offered the Canadians enough brand new small arms at no charge to equip their entire NATO contingent (along with likely re enforcements from Canada and weapons for training use in Canada etc..) I suspect the Canadians might have considered the offer. I seem to recall reading an account of some deliberations in the 1950's about the Canadians needing to decide between issuing US or UK pattern equipment to their European based forces so perhaps accepting an offer of free brand new U.S. pattern small arms might have been seriously considered, although I suspect the Canadians would have also wanted machine guns chambered in 7.62 x 51 as well to go along with the rifles.

Edit to add:
I suspect a number of other nations would likely want Machine guns to go along with the free M14's. I suspect Large quantities of ammunition would also have made the offers more palatable.

Canada was the first nation to adopt the FAL but what if they didn't?

Plus as a bonus, the NAACO is a big bore handgun and the predecessor to .45 Winchester Magnum :p

Last edited: