"What-if" British weapons of WW1 & WW2

That's a VP (Voltigeur-Patrouiller) ultra light AFV designed by Victor Bouffort for Fouga. It packed a U.S. Made 106mm RCL plus a 20mm. It was part of a number of studies for light AFV, the most interesting of which was the Even, part of a new concept of mechanised operations introduced by General Juin in the 50sView attachment 631180
L : 3,45 m W :1,90 m H :0,80 m Weight :2500 kg Porsche 1600 cm3 Engine. The prototype was later used as a base for a Polar exploration vehicle.
Thanks for the info! For some reason, my source has it down as the "Chennault" - maybe an alternative marketing name?

Back to SMGs for a minute: providing Britain actually expresses an interest in SMGs before 1939, there's a very real possibility they would've gone with the Finnish Suomi KP/31. The Small Arms Committee report of 29/09/1936 praised the Suomi as "one of the best "gangster" weapons we have seen." The SAC tested an Estonian Suomi with a 50-round "casket" magazine in October 1938 and again it was warmly received.

In fact, the casket magazine for the Suomi was so well-liked that the SAC asked RSAF Enfield if they would consider producing a similar type of magazine for the Bren gun. Never happened, of course, but it'd be interesting to see how a quadruple-column 50-round magazine would fare with the Bren.

Every source I've read (paper or web) or seen (FW video) lists 7.7x58mm, i.e. the rimless Army cartridge. Which I agree is rather odd, though not as odd as the two services adopting nearly-identical but incompatible rounds in the first place.
It wasn't just two 7.7mm rounds but three, there was a semi rimmed 7.7mm as well used on a couple of army MG's.

It wasn't just two 7.7mm rounds but three, there was a semi rimmed 7.7mm as well used on a couple of army MG's.
That's right I remember reading about the three types many years ago, the author said some to the effect that having made the decision to replace the 6.5mm round a bout of insanity seemed to have struck.

That's right I remember reading about the three types many years ago, the author said some to the effect that having made the decision to replace the 6.5mm round a bout of insanity seemed to have struck.
It was always there.... Waiting for the right moment to reappear.