Warships in need of an ATL story

Like my HMS Anson fights on story give me a warship that was underutilised or capable of being used differently . I can take care of certain handwaivium but no ASB intervention plse . Technology must be available or able to advance with better financial support .

For example Diesel engines in the UK need the railway mafia to not strangle road transport .

Armour and large gun need actual economic and military reasons not to stagnate post WW1 .

HMS Hood getting refit is possible and I have an idea on it .

RN getting modern Heavy Cruisers (1938 is called modern lol) again I can do it but not really viable .

I don't mind writing small scale conflict stories but not if any racial or religious bias is involved .

give me a warship that was underutilised or capable of being used differently
I would go with something really insignificant and likley to be overlooked....

If you want a big gun ship at the Falklands would about HMS Abercrombie?

Say the relatively new ship (1943) is kept post war as a missile test ship say with the missiles fired from on-top of the turret or on the bow? (anything that leaves the 15" in place and working) so she would still be available come 82? Maybe with new engines ie 60s diesels to reduce crew and strip off the secondary guns.....

History
56px-Naval_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Name: HMS Abercrombie
Ordered: 4 April 1941
Builder: Vickers-Armstrongs, Newcastle upon Tyne
Laid down: 26 April 1941
Launched: 31 March 1942
Commissioned: 5 May 1943
General characteristics
Class and type: Roberts class monitor
Displacement: 7,850 tons
Length: 373.25 ft (113.77 m) oa
Beam: 89.75 ft (27.36 m)
Draught: 11 ft (3.4 m)
Propulsion: 2 shaft, 4 × Admiralty Standard Range ASR1 diesels, 7,200 shp
Speed: 15 knots
Complement: 230in 82
Armament:
  • 2 × 15-inch/42 Mk 1 guns in a twin turret
  • 1 x Seaslug GWS.1 SAM luncher on bow in front of 15" mount (Not used as it only had 2 spare missiles in superstructure hangar reloading via hand trolleys)
  • 1 × 4-rail launcher for GWS-26 Super Sea Cat aft
  • 2 × single 40 mm Bofors gun Mark 9 sides

SsgtC

Banned
Have Lexington and Saratoga completed as battlecruisers instead of aircraft carriers. Bonus if you get them into action against either a Kongo class or the German Twins.

MatthewB

Banned
Like my HMS Anson fights on story give me a warship that was underutilised or capable of being used.
HMS Glorious, Courageous and Ark Royal. The former should have maintain a CAP and the latter two should never have been used for ASW.

Keep these three dual-hangar fast carriers and the RN crushes it at Taranto and then sails to Singapore or Ceylon.

The Greek cruiser Averoff was first offered to the Ottomans. Remove her from Greek hands and place her in Turkish hands perhaps butterflies away the 20th century.

Upgraded Greek battlecruiser Salamis vs the Italians in WWII.

Perhaps in 1919 Germany falls to a rabidly Communist rule followed by a Germano-Russian invasion of Poland and the High Seas Fleet is rearmed at Scapa to take the fight into the Baltic.

Entire Admiral-class completed and the KG V/Iron Dukes are scrapped at the WNT instead.

An ATL where USS Ranger has a slightly more consequential war than she did OTL (really just two operational missions - TORCH and LEADER), she's getting a little more action my TL.

Have her air group make a significant contribution to the hunt for a German raider or maybe she sees some action during one of the Murmansk convoys.

I have a weird idea where the RAN subsidies Australian railways to create a diesel/electric network using American licences. The payoff is the engines needed for a sub and sloop navy that is barely covered by the WNT and can be unleashed on Japan. Bonus points for a poaching program targeted at the Imperial German Navy U-boat aces, but its not really needed, as British Empire produced enough of their own.

I'd love to see a scenario in which Hood gets her Major Repair. She deserved that much at least.

If we're going full bore fantasy, I'd love to see the IJN build a No. 13 fast battleship...

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I've always had a soft spot for the BC HMS Indefatigable who is almost the forgotten casualty at Jutland. Probably because we have no pictures to match the tremendous explosions that marked the demise of Queen Mary & Invincible. Being at the tali of the line we have one shot of a strange shape in the distance under a lot of smoke. We're not really sure what exactly caused her demise, although I fancy the idea an original magazine explosion aft blew out the bottom and she was doomed to sink by the stern before the kicks at the dying dog with hits on the forecastle that look to set off A turret's magzines.

Now if she survived it is reasonable to assume Von der Tann would take more damage that might contribute to her foundering sometime later that evening, similar to how Invincible is credited with the crucial hit that overwhelmed Lutzow's pumps. Then a scorecard of 2 BCs each gives Jutland an entirely different aspect.

France's heavy cruiser Algerie has a better life in WW-2. Maybe she even joins the Allied fleet off of Okinawa, or even earlier, with the USN at Leyte Gulf.

Italy's carrier Aquila escapes to the Allies and serves as an aircraft transport for the rest of the war. Hey, I like how Aquila looks.

A refitted Hood makes it long enough to join the British Pacific Fleet and eventually retirement as a museum ship.

And one more, Hawaii as a missile cruiser.

How’s about Theseus, Ocean and Glory being converted in 1959 to either ASW helicopter carriers OR as Sea Slug command cruisers? They could’ve easily made it through to about 1989 as ASW carriers and probably early 80s in the other guise.

I'd love to see an ATL on the french submarine Surcouf. Such an iconic and massive boat deserved a better war.

Maybe send it to the Pacific, as a french contribution to the war there. With the crappy japanese ASW, it's massive armment and long range, it would fit right in.

Nick P

Donor
I'd like to see HMS Vanguard survive into the 1970s as a counter to the Soviet threat. Maybe a small flashpoint in the Med vs the Red Navy heavy cruisers or perhaps we get dragged into the Greek-Turkish fight?

Having HMS Leviathan get finished and see some service in the Cold War would be good too. Defence of Cyprus or Belize (a la Phoenix Squadron)?

A rebuilt Sultan Yavuz in the 1974 Cypus war. Reasons it would still be functional: occasional outbursts of national pride resulting in election promises. Most ASB aspect is the money actually being spent on the ship, rather than being embezzled away.

Last edited: