Warships in need of an ATL story

I'd like to see HMS Vanguard survive into the 1970s as a counter to the Soviet threat. Maybe a small flashpoint in the Med vs the Red Navy heavy cruisers or perhaps we get dragged into the Greek-Turkish fight?

Having HMS Leviathan get finished and see some service in the Cold War would be good too. Defence of Cyprus or Belize (a la Phoenix Squadron)?

Oh, how could I forget having Vanguard having an Iowa-like life?

HMS Prince of Wales dodges all 8 Torpedoes and so does not get crippled by the Prop hit.

As a result her heavy AAA guns are still working and she is able to fend off the subsequent attacks and force Z survives to fight another day

Have either a Dunkerque or Strasbourg led French force have a shoot out with one or more of the German pocket battleships. I believe CryHavoc101 had a tale going along those lines a few years ago.

Pffft like he is ever going to finish it.....

I have another mad Idea that I have been toying with which I have called 'The World Wonders'

In late 1944 A mixed Battleship squadron - the French Battleship Richelieu (completed in a US Yard), The Roma (Free Italian Royal Navy), and the King Edward the VIII (2nd unit of the KGV class) have formed a scratch 'Fast battleship force' in the Pacific theatre - on their way to support the landing force (after being left behind by Halsey) while maintaining Operational Silence they hear the "Where the fuck are you" radio message from Nimitz to Halsey regarding Taffy 3s imminent destruction at the hands of Kurita

"TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS"

The 3 BBs turn up and have a kickup with Kuritas force saving Taffy 3 in the process.

I was going to engineer a situation where all 3 ships had at some point engaged each other in battle before finding themselves in an ad hoc battle group on the other side of the world about to save the day......

SsgtC

Banned
In late 1944 A mixed Battleship squadron - the French Battleship Richelieu (completed in a US Yard), The Roma (Free Italian Royal Navy), and the King Edward the VIII (2nd unit of the KGV class) have formed a scratch 'Fast battleship force' in the Pacific theatre - on their way to support the landing force (after being left behind by Halsey) while maintaining Operational Silence they hear the "Where the fuck are you" radio message from Nimitz to Halsey regarding Taffy 3s imminent destruction at the hands of Kurita

"TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS"

The 3 BBs turn up and have a kickup with Kuritas force saving Taffy 3 in the process.
And to Richelieu and Roma, we bid adieu. Seriously though, I would hate to see either of those ships on the receiving end of one of Yamato's 18" shells

SsgtC

Banned
I am fully confident that Kurita could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by bottling it ;)
If you write this, perhaps you could swap out Jean Bart for Richelieu and add Massachusetts to the fleet? Especially as Big Mamie and JB slugged it out in the Atlantic earlier in the war...

Last edited:
HMS Warrior, oh I don’t know maybe hanging around a lot further west than Portsmouth, maybe around 1861 ish and maybe mistaken identities and mistakes made? Or has that been done already?

RM Leonardo da Vinci raised and reconstructed as an aircraft carrier. Rebuilt similar to later Cavour class reconstruction, 27knots and 32-40 aircraft.

Driftless

Donor
Have the HNoMS Norge and Eidsvold gets some hits of their own in during the initial encounter with the German destroyers at Narvik. Historically, the Eidsvold was sunk immediately following a parley, by torpedos. The Norge fired its weapons, but with poor visibility, optical sights, and an unpractised gunnery crew no hits were obtained before it too was sunk (less than a minute after being hit).

IF the Norwegian ships 8.26"/21cm shells were to hit one or even more of the German destroyers, that would change the complexion of the invasion force landing at Narvik and the associated naval battles.

The Italians are able to complete all 4 Francesco Caracciolo class fast battleships towards the end of World War One.

The POD would be false reports of the Austro-Hungarians making rapid progress building their Erstaz Monarch class. This leads to the British Government providing the Italians with the steel required to complete the ships or the money to buy steel from the USA.

The TTL WNT would allow Italy to keep the 2 Andrea Dorias and the 4 Caracciolo class, which would have come to about 171,000 metric tons.

IOTL they were allowed to keep 10 ships with an aggregate displacement of 182,800 metric tons (Andrea Doria, Caio Duilio, Conte Di Cavour, Giulio Cesare, Leonardo Da Vinci, Dante Alighieri, Roma, Napoli, Vittorio Emanuele and Regina Elena).

Italy would still have a quota of 175,000 tons, which was enough for five ships of 35,000 tons. However, Italy wasn't allowed to build 70,000 tons of new battleships before the treaty expired because she had the Caracciolo class. Therefore Italy won't be able to lay down Littorio and Vittorio Vento in 1934.

One of the Tennessee class heavy cruisers (I'm rather fond of Charlotte personally) being rebuilt as projected in 1926 thanks to the odd stipulations in the treaty making it practical (was considered OTL but new cruisers being available made it pointless). The three remaining ships end up continuing their careers up until WW2, where one of them manages to get into a shootout with the Deutschland class ship and somehow manages to come out on top.

USS Indianapolis survives the war and is present at Tokyo Bay for the Surrender of Japan. (Unfortunately this would result in the loss of one of the best scene in the movie Jaws thirty years later.)

DtIe0TL.jpg

I have another mad Idea that I have been toying with which I have called 'The World Wonders'

I was going to engineer a situation where all 3 ships had at some point engaged each other in battle before finding themselves in an ad hoc battle group on the other side of the world about to save the day......

Throw in some "Europeans don't know how to fight in the Pacific" politics for giggles.

Sumatra as a "toothless terror " Strip her armament as spares for the Dutch gunboats and replace with 4.7 inch twin turrets as AA cruiser