Victoria II

I almost gave up on Vicky due to POP management and that god-damned world market where I had to personally buy 40 small arms everytime I wanted a new division. This looks like it'll be better.

Had a great game with the demo.

Mexico attacked me out of the blue in 1839, trying to claim Louisiana. I hadn't built up my military at all, so it was a bit close, but I managed to hold them back and white peace out.

Five years later, after I'd built up my military, I enacted manifest destiny and attacked them by claiming Texas. I assumed it was like Vicky 1, where occupying certain provinces in Texas causes the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo event to fire, ceding the whole Southwest to the US, but that wasn't the case. I eventually settled for just taking Texas since, even though I was winning and could continue on, the war was dragging on slowly.

Throughout the whole thing, Europe remained pretty static. The only thing of note was that Hanover edged Spain out for #8 Great Power briefly before reactionaries toppled the Hanoverian monarchy and set up a presidential dictatorship. Also, the UK apparently suffered the worst of the 1848 revolutions since Britain and Canada were covered in rebels at the end of the game, and a one-province "New England" that I would have eventually annexed if I had the time popped up in that one province that's now northern Maine.

In 1849, the CSA seceded. I'm disappointed that, like in Vicky 1, they didnt put up much of a fight. They never managed to get their army even half the size of my army which isn't much more than the US starts with in 1836. By the time the war started for me (which was very early, possibly the earliest it could possibly be) I had a good 60 units, and only about 10 of those defected to the South (It's not like I was metagaming by avoiding making Dixie units, I was just limited by the manpower in the states). In less than a year, I had annihilated their armies and just spent the next year occupying the remaining provinces. I had reunited the union with less than two months to go in the demo.

A couple things Paradox could do to balance the game. They could increase the number of soldier POPs in the South at startup and decrease them in the north. Another thing is that having the war so early might have given me an advantage because the South's historical generals may not have been active yet. I can't tell where the file for leaders is, so I cant confirm it, but I never saw any big Southern generals like Stonewall Jackson or Robert E. Lee when I was going up against them. This could be because Paradox set the date they become active for later than the time the war actually occurred in my game. Perhaps beef up the event(s) that give them free units, at least for the AI.

Anyway, that was boring and nerdy, so, screenshots!

indixieslandilltakemyst.png
endofvicky2.png
endofvickydos.png

Population 5.69million? :confused:

It was 17,069,453 in 1840 and 23,191,876 in 1850.

Also, literacy was significantly higher than 44% in the US in 1850.

It was 17,069,453 in 1840 and 23,191,876 in 1850

That might be the number of people represented in POPs, and according to Paradox, the actual population of a country is roughly 4 times the number of all POPs put together, since each unit in a POP is one family.

It was 17,069,453 in 1840 and 23,191,876 in 1850
If memory serves, Paradox has this thing where they report everything according to households rather than individual people (sod it all if I know why), so the population reported is something like a quarter of what it'd actually be in the game. Memory could be playing tricks on me again, though.

No I mean like "President Abraham Lincoln of the United States of America", not Generals. I know about generals - I was just wondering if Presidential Elections took place along with the Congressional ones.

There is the "Upper House" which gets shifted about every couple of years. These are the guys that handle political and social reforms, unless the Upper House is dominated by laissez faire types.

The "Lower House" gets elected every so often in those big political election events you see - in the USA its every four years, just like presidential elections - they handle budgetary stuff, and depending on which party controls the Lower House you can set military spending and tariffs to whatever.

Interesting. I like how you can choose which side of the Civil War to play as. I can just imagine trying to fuck over the South as much as possible to create rebellions in Missouri, Maryland, et al, building only Dixie soldiers, and then watch as the CSA crushes the North. :D

It looks like a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

Everyone is complaining about spelling and grammar errors, but I didn't find any. Well some of the tutorial text was 'Engrish-y' but it wasn't that bad. Perfectly understandable, just weird.

Last edited:
Just finished a game of the demo. This game is simply amazing. Sadly I didn't think to take pictures until the end of the game, and I forgot to save them somewhere...so I only have the end screen. :(

I started by messing with the trade settings. I noticed a bug where whatever you set the buy/sell to would reduce itself by about 1.75 after you stopped viewing it. That was pretty annoying, as it made it hard to avoid wasting money without extra effort. Hopefully that'll be fixed in the patches.

I then used my national focuses on Washington and British Columbia (competing with the British in both) while Mexico tried to colonize Oregon. I sent all of my army to give me a bonus in both states. After succeeding with both, I colonized Oregon and Alberta successfully. The British got screwed there I suppose. :D I managed to take Ohklahoma and Colorado from Mexico in short order. Strangely, The Trail of Tears decision gives you Cherokee as an accepted culture, and the releasable country of Cherokee is in Arkansas.

The Ostend (spelling?) Manifesto is a decision that gives you cores on the Spanish and British Greater Antilles (Cuba, Jamaica, and the Caymans) at the cost of -150 relations with the Great Powers. I suspect it will be popular. I quickly took Cuba with a war with Spain, but didn't think to go after Puerto Rico. They managed to occupy Maine before offering me Cuba as a peace deal.

I fought a last minute war with Mexico over the Southwest. I'm pleased to report that they have cores there, unlike the first game. I ended up adding wargoals for Sonora, Chihuahua and Durango, but didn't have time to take Durango. Central America ended up within two provinces from Mexico City, and was trying to annex Yucatan, but I had to make peace before the game ended. The militancy spike for not taking Durango let me outlaw slavery while the Conservatives in the Upper House panicked. Curiously, the South did not rebel no matter how many provocative things I did, including admitting Texas as a free state after my war with Mexico. I suspect the many decisions lowering consciousness are to blame. The CSA slowly got cores over southern states, including Cuba, and probably would have had more if I hadn't run out of time.

The Spheres of Influence is an excellent feature. By the end I had Central America, Brazil, Colombia and Argentina. Spain was my biggest competition in the Americas, with the exception of the UK in Argentina and Liberia. They removed Liberia from my Sphere, apparently to spite me.

Sadly, nothing interesting happened in Europe or elsewhere, though I had seen Schleswig nationalists succeed and pan-Scandinavian rebels occupy most of Denmark in an earlier, aborted game.

I paid little attention to my industry, mostly because I was so focused on territorial gains. I expect I would have been more focused on that in a full game.
Demo Endscreen.jpg

Demo Endscreen.jpg

The demo is great so far, but Mexico is annoyingly hard to defeat.

Also, in my current run through, Europe in 1847 is looking a lot like my timeline in the later 1860s. France is in a war with Spain and the UK, and Austria and Prussia are fighting for hegemony in Germany. :D

EDIT: The CSA at the end of the game. Why couldn't I have played a couple more months? :( And that's Brazil in Florida, Colombia in Kentucky and Mississippi, and the USCA in New Orleans.

CSA 1851.png

Last edited:
I fought a last minute war with Mexico over the Southwest. I'm pleased to report that they have cores there, unlike the first game.
Oh, that reminds me to ask: Does the Ottoman Empire have more European cores this time around? Iirc, in Vicky 1 they didn't have any cores beyond Thrace, and that just bothered me.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Mexico WAS hard to defeat in OTL, its only historiography that makes it seem like it was a shoo-in. The American army in the North was getting completely bogged down, and politics was playing a huge role in getting enough supplies there. It was only the Vera Cruz expedition which made getting a good peace possible, and even then the Mexicans managed to recreate enough armies to fight two pitched battles. IMSMR

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Tellus

Banned
Had fun with the US but now I want to try other countries. Three posters on the official forums bragged about finding a way to play other countries, one posted it but was swiftly moderated.

Knowing the Clauswitz engine its probably done either by finding a way to enable cheats and use a TAG command, or by fooling the game into thinking the USA tag represents another country with a quick edit of some files.

Im trying to find out myself, and trying to contact those who claimed to have done it. Will keep you updated.

Tellus

Banned
Okay hmm, I think Im getting somewhere with this puzzle, but my first attempt at changing countries in the demo with an event had...

36613297.jpg

UNINTENDED SIDE EFFECTS. LOL :p

Still trying!!

Tellus

Banned
I have changed focus and now going for a HEX edit of the EXE as the most likely solution after finding this thread.

They suggest this, and people on 4chan says it works

Google hex editor
first result
download

open the hex editor
open the vicotoria 2 demo .exe
search "USA" (via the tabs at the top"
and change the U S A
to B E L
Going to try that next. Unfortunately though I did manage to switch to Japan with a custom event like this one:

#Player Switch Event
country_event = {
id = 16002
title = "Tellus liberates you from the shackles of America!"
desc = "This allows you to play any country in the world, by editing the tags below. It may takes a couple months to fire when you start a game. The full list of country tags is in the history, countries subdirectory. Enjoy your greater Victoria 2 Demo freedom!"
major = yes

trigger = {
tag = USA
year = 1836
NOT = {
has_global_flag = player_switched_sides
}
}
mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 1
modifier = {
factor = 0.1 #increase likelihood to happen
year = 1836
}
}

option = {
name = "For I am the Rising Sun, light of the Orient..."
change_tag_no_core_switch = JAP
set_global_flag = player_switched_sides
}

option = {
name = "A genoux, car je suis Napoleon votre Empereur"
change_tag_no_core_switch = FRA
}
option = {
name = "We are Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary, Bohemia, Milano and Jerusalem!"
change_tag_no_core_switch = AUS
}
}
The game started to stutter and the AI didnt go to sleep properly in the country I was selecting. Going to give the hex edit method a try, and if it works, will let you know.

Last edited: