US Township-BAM

@Redcoat @ST15RM I went ahead and finished on my own. Here it is, in all its beauty, with colors swapped! I thought this important enough to warrant my own watermark for the first time.

LEwSOLk.png
It's interesting how continuous the Republican areas are versus the Democrats.

It's interesting how continuous the Republican areas are versus the Democrats.
While it's thinner, the Democrats do control an almost contiguous strip from Wilmington, Delaware, to Portland, Maine that includes, on the map, Philadelphia, Camden, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, New York City, Stamford, New Haven, Providence, Boston, Portsmouth, and then Portland itself. Not as thicc as the Republican areas, but rather populous and significant as far as votes go.

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
Well why don't they try to consolidate?

They don't want to.

The State wants them to, which is why every Governor going back as far as I can remember has tried to either convince or force them to consolidate. Christie went so far as to try to go over everyone's heads and split up Teterboro (a town of, like, 20 people and an airport) in the hopes of consolidating it with the surrounding towns - he failed, miserably, like every Governor does and gave up during his first term. But like @Md139115 said, what drove Boroughitis in the first place was wealthier neighborhoods using a quirk in the law at the time to allow themselves to break away from poorer neighborhoods. (Bergen County was originally, like, five towns.) Now, the people who run those towns (which includes my own) are all big fish in small ponds (the amount of corruption around here is like you wouldn't believe) and nobody wants to give that up, aside from the original rich vs. poor motivations for forming these towns remaining to this day.

Basically, the only way this changes is if Trenton does it. If it's left up to the local governments or if Trenton tries to negotiate with them, it will never happen.

Thande

Donor
@Redcoat @ST15RM I went ahead and finished on my own. Here it is, in all its beauty, with colors swapped! I thought this important enough to warrant my own watermark for the first time.

LEwSOLk.png
Fantastic work!

I also rather like how the Greens won a random town in coastal rural Maine.
That also makes it a nice spiritual successor to the original 2012 map by homelycooking that Kodak mentioned, in which Ron Paul won 90% of the vote on write-ins in a random northern Maine town (with a tiny electorate) because of course he did.

Redcoat

Banned
Fantastic work!

That also makes it a nice spiritual successor to the original 2012 map by homelycooking that Kodak mentioned, in which Ron Paul won 90% of the vote on write-ins in a random northern Maine town (with a tiny electorate) because of course he did.

Errrrr because it's Maine or because this is a small town and anything could happen there?

While it's thinner, the Democrats do control an almost contiguous strip from Wilmington, Delaware, to Portland, Maine that includes, on the map, Philadelphia, Camden, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, New York City, Stamford, New Haven, Providence, Boston, Portsmouth, and then Portland itself. Not as thicc as the Republican areas, but rather populous and significant as far as votes go.
Actually, no they don't. The break in continuity is in Connecticut.

From my post: "the Democrats do control an almost contiguous strip..."
Missed the almost first time through. Regardless, Democratic strength along the I-95 corridor is what one would expect based on statewide results. But it's the localities map that shows thestrength of the GOP inside some of these very Democratic states in a way that's not easy to show otherwise.

Md139115

Banned
Basically, the only way this changes is if Trenton does it. If it's left up to the local governments or if Trenton tries to negotiate with them, it will never happen.

So, fellow Jerseyan, what will it take for our abomination of a legislature to meet in our horrifying abomination of a state house to fix the nauseating abomination of doughnuts appearing all over the supreme abomination that is our state?

I think that as this first began with the state allowing independent school districts being created and towns being formed from those districts, the logical step would be to mandate the consolidation of school districts, in the hope that the towns would follow suit. I would think that this could be accomplished by mandating that no school districts with less than 800 students can recieve state funding.

I also rather like how the Greens won a random town in coastal rural Maine.
There are 5 voters living there, and I assume they're the same 5 who were living there in 2012. This means there are 2 Stein-Stein voters, 2 Romney-Johnson voters, and 1 Romney-Stein voter living there.

Sadly, the Paul voters decided to end their shenanigans and vote for Trump in 2016.

Speaking of Homelycooking's map, I might remake it in this style so they can more easily be compared.

Here's a completed 2012 map and a reupload of 2016 (there were small errors in Pennsylvania).

JUhIaQy.png

tgbwzRf.png

With these two maps completed I'm done making any more for a while.

Last edited: