Under Center: The NFL In The New Millennium

words can not describe how sad young me is. And how mad current me is. Tampa tried for decades to get a team, and they up and left. Please tell me that Hockey is unaffected so I can have one tiny positive from this timeline.
And St Pete is refusing to allow them to a place where they can really bring the fans in. As someone who lives here, its a pain in the ass to get to the Trop and I don't go because of how big of a pain in the ass it is. Given the Lighting play at Amalie Arena, it should be fine as that's easier, far easier to get to.

And St Pete is refusing to allow them to a place where they can really bring the fans in. As someone who lives here, its a pain in the ass to get to the Trop and I don't go because of how big of a pain in the ass it is. Given the Lighting play at Amalie Arena, it should be fine as that's easier, far easier to get to.
Yeah. We can complain about the owner later, ARE THE LIGHTNING GOOD IN THIS TL?

My favorite trivial piece of knowledge regarding hockey (of the little knowledge I have), is the Canadian teams haven’t won since 93’. I’m going to keep it the same way ITTL, feeding the USA-Canada animosity in sports. To make that worse, a few Canadian teams have made it to the Stanley Cup with most losing in the seventh game, and one getting utterly dominated and swept.

Chapter Fifteen, Part Fourteen: Sanchise No More, McFadden Cometh, Drewperman & Battle Of The Brothers
June 7, 2015: The FFL’s bye week takes place. Mark Sanchez announces his retirement from football after a week two injury sidelined him for the rest of the season, and signs on as an FFL analyst for CBS. Darren McFadden, the 2008 #1 overall pick, signs with the Denver Diggers to be a running back for the team, playing with another former first-rounder, QB Matt Leinart. McFadden will not be able to play until June 21, preventing him from appearing on Federal Football Primetime.

June 10, 2015: Drew Brees grants his 706th wish for Make-A-Wish, taking the company’s record from WWF performer and Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle. Brees, famous for his charitable work and called “the most selfless man in the NFL”, has won the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award three times and has been referred to by Commissioner Young as “the NFL’s Superman”.

June 14, 2015: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the St. Louis Stars (2-3) defeat the Denver Diggers (1-4), 24-20 in what is billed as the “Battle of the Brothers”, after the common nickname of the two 2015 FFL Expansion teams, “the New Brothers”. Stars QB Mitch Trubisky passes for a touchdown, 267 yards, and an interception, while his running back, Jay Ajayi, rushes for two touchdowns and 158 yards. Diggers QB Matt Leinart passes for two touchdowns and 224 yards, struggling somewhat against the Stars defense. St. Louis-based musician Nelly headlines the half-time show, although one of the biggest surprises of the night is the previously secret appearance by the “Father of Rock N’ Roll”, St. Louis native Chuck Berry.

My favorite trivial piece of knowledge regarding hockey (of the little knowledge I have), is the Canadian teams haven’t won since 93’. I’m going to keep it the same way ITTL, feeding the USA-Canada animosity in sports. To make that worse, a few Canadian teams have made it to the Stanley Cup with most losing in the seventh game, and one getting utterly dominated and swept.
Elaborate? I really want to see the new matchups from this TL.

Elaborate? I really want to see the new matchups from this TL.

I think eventually I'll get to the Stanley Cup matchups, but that's somewhere in the future, I'm still trying to work out the near future between the current point in the timeline and August 2015. Should I push forward with more on Drew Brees and other interesting players, or just go for another team focused year?

Chapter Fifteen, Part Fifteen: Hard Times For Harbaugh, The List, Tanking Like A Panzer, Canadian Creation, & Chosen Rosen
June 17, 2015: Jim Harbaugh resigns from his post as Head Coach of the #5 Alabama Crimson Tide, shockingly, due to “Dissatisfaction with the team’s athletic department and consistent micromanagement.” He signs on to become the “Special College Football Correspondent” with NBCSN on a one-year deal and makes it clear that he will coach again, saying at his farewell press conference “this is not the last time I will be sitting at a table talking to the press. You will see me again.”

June 19, 2015: Jim Harbaugh’s “Top 10” list, showing the top teams he would hope to coach for in 2016, leaks, and is the following:

10. Orlando/Atlanta Apollos

9. Indianapolis Colts

8. UCLA Bruins

7. San Diego Chargers

6. Minnesota Vikings

5. Florida State Seminoles

4. Michigan Wolverines

3. Calgary Cardinals

2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

1. London Monarchs

Many in the media are surprised that Harbaugh’s alma mater, Michigan, is lower on the list than the relocated Cardinals, the expansion Monarchs, and the recently near-irrelevant Cornhuskers, although it is also believed that Michigan (#19 in the nation) won’t part with Bill Callahan, the program’s coach since 2006. Harbaugh previously said that coaching at Michigan would be “very preferable”, although he later said, after Alabama beat Michigan in 2013, that he “really enjoyed being able to come back and beat my old team… Kind of weird, but it’s a pleasure.”

June 21, 2015: On Federal Football Primetime, the Salt Lake Legion (4-2) defeat the Orlando Apollos (0-6), 41-16, as Dak Prescott passes for two touchdowns and 305 yards, along with rushing for three touchdowns and 103 yards. Apollos QB Davis Webb passes for a touchdown and three interceptions, and 224 yards. The halftime show features a Disney-themed performance featuring pop stars and former Disney Channel performers Ross and Rydel Lynch. After the game, several online articles are written about the Apollos’ supposed tanking, and how it could hurt the FFL in the long term.

June 23, 2015: The Calgary Stampeders announce that they have come to an agreement with the FFL, and will, along with an expansion team to be placed in Halifax, Nova Scotia, join the league starting in 2016. The Stamps will play in the Western Conference, while the Halifax team, whose name will be announced at the Federal Bowl, will play in the Eastern Conference.

June 28, 2015: An article in influential online sports blog “Big Game Sports” hypes up Josh Rosen, the top overall high school prospect in 2014 and the presumed starting quarterback of the Tennessee Volunteers, as an Andrew Luck-type prospect. He is said to be the type of player who can single-handedly revitalize a franchise and garners comparison to fellow Volunteer Peyton Manning, who was also regarded as a blue-chip prospect and is now considered the greatest QB of all time. Rosen has, however, garnered concerns due to his supposed personality problems, with an anonymous former teammate calling him “kind of a dick”, and others saying that he could be considered controversial due to his vocal progressive politics.

Chapter Fifteen, Part Sixteen: Riding High, High Riding, Revitalization, & The Buffalo Blackout
June 28, 2015: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the New York Knights (6-1) defeat the San Diego Chargers (4-3), 29-11, as Jimmy Garoppolo passes for a touchdown and 289 yards, while Tyreek Hill rushes for three touchdowns, 245 yards, and catches the Knights’ lone passing touchdown, along with 160 receiving yards. The halftime show features rock band Halestorm.

July 1, 2015: Joe Flacco, starting quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, gets pulled over for a DUI in Toronto, and is found to have been under the influence of marijuana and alcohol with others, whom he called “the homies” in the car with him at the time of the arrest. Flacco is sent back to the U.S. and is immediately suspended by the NFL for the preseason and first two games of the season, along with being fined $300,000 by the NFL and $150,000 by the Vikings organization. He will face several charges including DUI and DWI, along with illegal narcotic usage, reckless driving, and endangerment, which could ultimately result in the loss of his drivers’ license, a harder time moving between the U.S. and Canada, and possibly prison time.

July 4, 2015: The FFL announces they will move their headquarters from Stamford, Connecticut, to Midtown Manhattan. They will be headquartered in the new One Vanderbilt Tower, a supertall building which recently built alongside other skyscrapers on Vanderbilt Avenue, as part of a large scale re-development plan across the city. A notable part of the plan, alongside the Vanderbilt project, is the finalizing of the World Trade Center revival project, which plans to, by Christmas 2016, see the opening of the “Remembrance Tower”, the new One World Trade Center, which is set to be the tallest building in the world, and the topping out of the new Two World Trade Center. Both of the original buildings, of course, were destroyed in the 9/11 Attacks.

July 5, 2015: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the Buffalo Mountainmen (4-4) defeat the Houston Roughnecks (1-7), 23-14, in the so-called “Blackout Game”, as the stadium’s power, along with much of that in the parts of upstate New York, Pennsylvania, Quebec, and Ontario, went out due in part to the 2015 summer heatwave and several problems associated with the connected grids. The game was stopped with 1:29 left in the second quarter, with the score being 10-7 in favor of the Mountainmen, as the Roughnecks had marched their way into the red zone, before being forced to kick. The power went out right as the Roughnecks’ kicker, Cairo Santos, was kicking the ball, which resulted in the blackout of the transmission for the game at a crucial point, and Santos’ missing the kick. It was another 20 minutes before the stadium’s power was fully functioning through the use of massive generators, and another 15 minutes after that for the stadium’s television transmission to be reacquired, a timeframe that forced the halftime show, which would have featured Buffalo-based band Lemuria, to be canceled. In the time between the blackout and re-connection, beer sales spiked in the stadium, players began practicing on field, and, on the TV broadcast, a few CBS football analysts tried to bide time while checking with local Buffalo-based affiliates, along with several news bulletins by the CBS News team, updating the public on the blackout.

As always, I would love for everyone to tell me what they think about this chapter, it helps me a lot, and I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say. Thanks.

Pro Wrestling Part One
I've been sort of ambiguous as to the pro wrestling picture, excluding the fates of Benoit and Eddie. The WWF (and I mean WWF, butterflies and a more aggressive Vince McMahon help reveal the World Wildlife Fund's real-world ties to paramilitary groups that promised to help them stop poaching, it's an interesting story, and it's true) still purchases WCW, and Booker T and Buff Bagwell having a good match during the "WCW Hour" experiment, helping the reputation of the former company's talent and giving the brass further confidence in the idea of a brand split. This coincides with the advent of Kurt Angle's true push, during which he becomes a badass character bent on protecting the WWF from the incoming "Alliance", made up of former WCW and ECW talent, managed primarily by Shane McMahon and Paul Heyman, and led on the wrestling side by Booker T and Shane "The Franchise" Douglas. Angle entered into an uneasy alliance with the man considered, up to that point, his biggest foe, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, along with Vince McMahon, who turned face and filled out the heart of the uncomfortable partnership, called "The Resistance", and containing many WWF lifers and committed wrestlers, notably including the Undertaker, a previous foe of Austin and McMahon, who would interfere at crucial points of the storyline, disappear afterwards, and eschew all rewards offered. The "Resistance" helped launch the career of Edge, who would be betrayed by his tag team partner and kayfabe brother Christian, who, in the storyline grew sick of being treated as "Edge's sidekick", and assaulted Edge at during a standoff between "The Resistance" and "The Alliance", and became a key member of "The Alliance", showcasing his increasingly more impressive ring work and great skills on the microphone. "The Alliance" would grow over time as some of WCW's upper mid-card and lower main event wrestlers saw their contracts expire, and many of ECW's mainstays realized the opportunity in front of them. "The Alliance" would be portrayed as a group of embittered, brawling raiders bent on wreaking havoc on what they saw as an overly crowded landscape, with Paul Heyman routinely cutting work shoots calling out the corporate nature of the company, the supposed inability to look at in-ring talent over simple looks, and the hypocrisy present in the system. A pinnacle of the "Early Invasion" was when various members of "The Alliance" organized a coup inside the ring, breaking up a hyped-up bout between Kurt Angle and Booker T to commandeer the ring and derail the show, after which they trashed the set of Monday Night Raw, and hijacked the broadcast, putting Paul Heyman and Tony Schiavone on the broadcast desk, who then only called the event "Monday Nitro", and organizing "exhibition matches" between Alliance wrestlers for the crowd, before, at the end of the episode, introducing their newest acquisition, Ric Flair.

Chapter Fifteen, Part Seventeen: The Final Game, Bye Bye Benoit, The Tank, Innovative Mind (?), & Federal Bowl 2015
July 12, 2015: On Federal Football Primetime on CBS, the Salt Lake Legion (6-3) defeat the St. Louis Stars (3-6), 29-17, as Dak Prescott passes for two touchdowns and 295 yards, while Stars QB Mitchell Trubisky passes for a touchdown, an interception, and 278 yards. The Halftime show features St. Louis-based rapper and megastar Nelly. The Legion finishes the season 7-3, with the best record in the Western Conference, and will go onto host the Chargers (who finished 6-4), the next week in the Western Conference Championship Game. The Eastern Conference Championship will see the New York Knights (finishing 9-1) host the Buffalo Mountainmen (6-4), pitting MVP candidates Jimmy Garoppolo and Tyreek “The Freak” Hill against the reigning MVP, LB Deion Jones.

July 15, 2015: WWF Legend Chris Benoit dies at the age of 48 following a catastrophic stroke brought on by a hit to head incurred when falling downstairs at his home in Georgia.

July 19, 2015: In the Western Conference Championship Game on CBS, the Salt Lake Legion (7-3) defeat the San Diego Chargers (6-4), 15-13, as Dak Prescott passes for a touchdown, an interception, and 241 yards, in a game primarily driven by the defense. The Legion won on a last-second, goal-line interception by Chargers rookie QB Nathan “The Tank” Peterman, who called an audible for a slant route that was easily deciphered by the secondary. The Legion advance to the Federal Bowl, where they will face either the Mountainmen or the Knights. In the Eastern Conference Championship Game on ABC, the New York Knights (9-1) defeat the reigning champion Buffalo Mountainmen (6-4), 26-22, in what is considered a good, if somewhat unexciting game. Jimmy Garoppolo passes for two touchdowns and 307 yards, while Brian Hoyer passes for three touchdowns and 302 yards, and Tyreek Hill rushes for a touchdown and 122 yards. Mike McCarthy, the Head Coach of the Knights, is praised for his coaching, however, and has an article written about him in Sports Illustrated after the game, titled “The Master: Inside McCarthy’s Innovative Mind”.

August 2, 2015: In the Federal Bowl on ABC, the New York Knights (10-1) defeat the Salt Lake Legion (8-3), 48-40, as Jimmy Garoppolo passes for four touchdowns, one interception, and 459 yards, along with a fumble, Tyreek “The Freak” Hill rushes for 217 yards and two touchdowns, and Dak Prescott passes for five touchdowns, 423 yards, and two interceptions. Jimmy Garoppolo is named Federal Bowl MVP in what many people expect to be his last game in the league. The halftime show for the game features Jay-Z, who was announced afterward as a new minority owner of the Knights and is hosted by Seth Meyers. The ultimate event of the halftime show was the announcement of the Halifax expansion team's name, which was revealed to be the Halifax Battlers.

Chapter Fifteen, Part Eighteen: All-Star Weekend, FFL Awards 2015, There Goes The Light, And Out With It The Beacon
August 9, 2015: During the FFL All-Star Weekend, streamed live on YouTube, sees the Eastern Conference All-Stars win the Flag Bowl, 26-17, with the MVP being Mountainmen LB Deion Jones. Team WR wins the WR v. CB competition, led by a strong performance by Tyreek Hill. In the QB skills competition, Lamar Jackson beats out Dak Prescott and Jimmy Garoppolo in what is regarded as one of the finest All-Star showcase moments ever by the FFL. The FFL awards are announced, and are:

FFL MVP: WR/HB/CB Tyreek Hill, New York Knights
-12 Rushing Touchdowns
-1,306 Rushing Yards
-10 Receiving Touchdowns
-1,002 Receiving Yards
-2 Interceptions
-1 Touchdown
-5 Pass Deflections

FFL Offensive Player of the Year: WR/HB/CB Tyreek Hill, New York Knights

FFL Defensive Player of the Year: DE Olivier Vernon, Salt Lake Legion
-12 Sacks
-3 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries
-2 Interceptions
-1 Touchdown

FFL Quarterback of the Year: QB Jimmy Garoppolo, New York Knights
-20 Passing Touchdowns (3 Interceptions)
-3,112 Passing Yards
-216 Rushing Yards
-1 Rushing Touchdown

FFL Rookie of the Year: QB Lamar Jackson, Houston Roughnecks
-12 Passing Touchdowns (9 Interceptions)
-1,717 Passing Yards, 1,133 Rushing Yards
-8 Rushing Touchdowns

FFL Coach of the Year: Mike McCarthy, New York Knights
-2015 Season: 7-3 Record
-Career FFL: 22-8 Record
-Second COTY Award

August 10, 2015: In an appearance on The Tonight Show With Conan O’Brien on NBC, Jimmy Garoppolo, two time QB of the Year for the FFL, one-time and inaugural FFL MVP, two time FFL Champion, and starting quarterback for the Knights since their inception, announces that he will not renew his contract and instead declare for the 2016 NFL Draft. He will play with the CFL’s Edmonton Eskimos until the end of their season and will train privately from there.

August 12, 2015: In an appearance on Sundown With Jay Leno on TNT, New York Knights head coach Mike McCarthy announces that he will resign his post with the team and instead become a television analyst for NBCSN. He does this in anticipation of the 2016-2017 NFL Season when he will most likely be among the hottest coaching commodities in the football world, a distinction that he will share with Jim Harbaugh. The Knights announce that their Offensive Coordinator, Lincoln Riley, will take over as head coach, and will institute a modified air raid offense.

2015 FFL Season Standings:

EAST

New York Knights: 9-1
Buffalo Mountainmen: 6-4
St. Louis Stars: 3-7
Orlando Apollos: 0-10

WEST

Salt Lake Legion: 7-3
San Diego Chargers: 6-4
Denver Diggers: 3-7
Houston Roughnecks: 1-9