Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would definitely make Western politicians regret not their planned operation of invading the Soviet Union after the defeat of Nazi Germany.
I doubt that. Despite the USSR's pitch black evil, an Operation Unthinkable would most likely still be seen as a likely failure, which would then only make matters worse as Western Europe would also fall to the Soviets in that scenario.

While it is easy for me, as a Jewish person, to hate Ukrainians and Lithuanians for joining the Nazis, I understand that they were only enthralled to antisemitic propaganda because of how miserable the Soviets made their lives.
There were disgusting bastards among us during Op. Barbarossa like there are in any country, and those were the people who were beating, shooting and looting the Jews. Many of the people who were cheering for the invading Germans were full of (false) hope that they will restore an independent Lithuania, and as soon as the Nazis rounded up the 1941 Provisional Government and began establishing German governments, collaboration fell drastically.

Lithuania was the only Nazi-occupied Baltic country which never formed an SS legion, after all. But this is getting off-topic.

There were disgusting bastards among us during Op. Barbarossa like there are in any country, and those were the people who were beating, shooting and looting the Jews. Many of the people who were cheering for the invading Germans were full of (false) hope that they will restore an independent Lithuania, and as soon as the Nazis rounded up the 1941 Provisional Government and began establishing German governments, collaboration fell drastically.

Lithuania was the only Nazi-occupied Baltic country which never formed an SS legion, after all. But this is getting off-topic.

Once again, the Eastern Front and Stalinist occupation were the very definition of hell.

Definitely.
I recently had the pleasure of reading Ruta Sepetys's novel Salt to the Sea, about the mass 1945 refugee evacuation from East Prussia, and even though it is based on real events (and thus doesn't count as dystopian), it felt more horrifying and dystopic than most of the current dystopian literature on the market.

So I suppose I knew the answer to that question already.

I recently had the pleasure of reading Ruta Sepetys's novel Salt to the Sea, about the mass 1945 refugee evacuation from East Prussia, and even though it is based on real events (and thus doesn't count as dystopian), it felt more horrifying and dystopic than most of the current dystopian literature on the market.

So I suppose I knew the answer to that question already.

I managed to read on Google Book snippets of Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin about the Holodomor and, yes, it sounded too much awful to be the product of the morbid imagination of a madman writing on the worst dystopia ever.

Should we begin recommending to read up on the Eastern Front for anyone who writes a dystopian novel? ;)

If it means anything, I came across an MLP fanfic called "The Leningrad Files". With the premise about the protagonist being punished for a crime by being sent Leningrad when it was under siege by the Nazi's and can only return when it's over if he survives.

Would definitely make Western politicians regret not their planned operation of invading the Soviet Union after the defeat of Nazi Germany.
Maybe, but I doubt some would have the desire to start WW3 just as WW2 ended.

I imagine more meaningful foreign intervention in the Russian Revolution could be become a popular regret and "what if" to Alternate History enthusiasts.

Maybe, but I doubt some would have the desire to start WW3 just as WW2 ended.

I imagine more meaningful foreign intervention in the Russian Revolution would be become a popular regret and "what if" to Alternate History enthusiasts.

I don't think so. Whites were even more antisemitic than Reds at the time.

I don't think so. Whites were even more antisemitic than Reds at the time.
True, but I can see it popular amongst some due to avoiding the regime that the Bolsheviks created that gave rise to Stalin. Similiar to how people what ifs of Germany winning WW1 in order to avoid Hitler (despite Imperial Germany's own existing problems).

I was watching the documentary The Act of Killing (about the 1965 mass killings in Indonesia. As an aside I strongly recommend that movie), and it inspired me to write this piece, which looks at the Soviet Holocaust from the perpetrators' perspective (@Bookmark1995 also did an excellent job covering this):

The Act of Killing

Excerpt from the film Shoah by Claude Lanzmann[1]​

From 1952-1960 Kirill Murkov was chief of the MGB in the Kharkov Oblast.

Claude Lanzmann: How many Jews were executed under your command?

Kirill Murkov: 20,000, give or take.

CL: And how was that carried out?

KM: About 30 condemned men were loaded into a truck and taken to a secluded wood outside of the city. They were forced to kneel at the edge of a mass grave in a single-file line, and the executioners walked across the line and shot each person at the base of the skull. Anyone who survived was shot again. This process was repeated truckload by truckload until the grave was full.

CL: Was it hard killing so many people?

KM: For many of my men it was. Almost everyone drank after the job; that was our main way of relieving the stress. The MGB had various methods to help the men cope, but it takes an iron will to be able to handle executing people day in and day out. I know quite a few who simply couldn’t take it anymore.

CL: What happened to those men?

KM: If they came to us about it, or we realized that they weren’t coping, they were transferred to some other duty. Sadly, it was difficult to tell if a man was coping or not. Plenty of them would seem fine while at work, then go home and hang themselves. A couple even went insane.

CL: Do you think the difficulty came from the fact that you were killing innocent people?

KM (angry): It’s a disgusting, slanderous lie to say that we were killing innocent people. They were guilty as sin. We had a legal process, and every one of those we killed had confessed to their crimes.

CL: But weren’t many of them targeted because they were Jewish? How does being Jewish make one a criminal?

KM: The Jews are a naturally reactionary, anti-Soviet ethnicity. They are a population infected with the belief that they own the world, and they opposed Stalin because he wouldn’t bow to their demands. Had we left them alone they would have undermined the Soviet state. After all, look what happened when we stopped hunting them.

CL: So you’re saying that no innocent people were killed?

KM: Look, certainly a small number of innocent people were killed. When tens of thousands are being executed there will be some mistakes made. But what you don’t understand, what most people today don’t understand, is that we were at war. And when you’re at war you have to take extraordinary measures to ensure victory, and if the price of victory is that a few innocents must die then that’s a price I’m willing to pay.

[1] IOTL Shoah is a 10-hour documentary about the Holocaust. ITTL there's an additional 10 hours devoted to the Soviet Holocaust.

Last edited:
CL: Was it hard killing so many people?

KM: For many of my men it was. Almost everyone drank after the job; that was our main way of relieving the stress. The MGB had various methods to help the men cope, but it takes an iron will to be able to handle executing people day in and day out. I know quite a few who simply couldn’t take it anymore.

CL: What happened to those men?

KM: If they came to us about it, or we realized that they weren’t coping, they were transferred to some other duty. Sadly, it was difficult to tell if a man was coping or not. Plenty of them would seem fine while at work, then go home and hang themselves. A couple even went insane.

This segment of the post is makes me see the notion of getting these veterans psychiatric help will be one of the more pressing matters the Council of National Salvation will have to work on for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.