Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, if racial violence will explode ITTL, than this could send shockwaves across the Republican Party.
Republican Party nada, people are going to be asking why this sudden uptick in racial violence occurred. And when people make comparisons to Stalin's little ethnic policies....

Dixiecrats are in for some deep shit. Even if someone hadn't made comparisons to the monster, they caused a massive and expensive revolt through their actions.

Republican Party nada, people are going to be asking why this sudden uptick in racial violence occurred. And when people make comparisons to Stalin's little ethnic policies....

Dixiecrats are in for some deep shit. Even if someone hadn't made comparisons to the monster, they caused a massive and expensive revolt through their actions.

I don't think Jim Crow and Stalinism are remotely comparable, as terrible as the former was.

Someone abscure or may have never went into politics OTL would be preferable.

there probably wont be another huey long. the Kingfish was a bit of an enigma: he was a straight populist though and through with some rather interesting economic policies.

ITTL the closest analogue would be a Syndicalist using Kingfish's campaigning style.

ugh, the loss of the welfare state, and the Baby Boomer generation becoming neckbearded objectivists?

I hope that GenX sees the inevitable economic and social poverty that occurs and politely tells their parents to kiss their fucking ass.

Asami

Banned
That or the US experiences a syndicalist Revolution and dissolves ala the OTL 1991 USSR after a crippling economic recession brings millions to starvation.

Asami

Banned
I think a Second Civil War would be a more realistic possibility.

Or that. I don't see how cutting the social safety net does anything for the American people other than line the pockets of rich politicians and capitalists.

Eventually, that huge undercurrent of poverty-stricken people will rise up; tired of their squalor and poor living standards.

Or that. I don't see how cutting the social safety net does anything for the American people other than line the pockets of rich politicians and capitalists.

Eventually, that huge undercurrent of poverty-stricken people will rise up; tired of their squalor and poor living standards.

So you think like nationwide rioting?

Asami

Banned
So you think like nationwide rioting?

If the conditions are right, yes. One of the reasons the Great Recession wasn't nearly as bad as the Great Depression (despite technically being a worse economic crisis) was because of social safety nets being deployed, and so Americans had shit to fall back on.

When something like the GR shows up IATL, it's going to be a disaster.

IANAE (I Am Not An Economist) but that seems to be the general idea I got from my Macroeconomics class, as much as the teacher was trying to vilify government interventionism in the economy.

If the conditions are right, yes. One of the main reasons the Great Recession wasn't nearly as bad as the Great Depression (despite technically being a worse economic crisis) was because of social safety nets being deployed, and so Americans had shit to fall back on.

When something like the GR shows up IATL, it's going to be a disaster.

Not to mention the GREATLY increased deregulation and reduction of taxes has made reckless spending and the percentage of tax evaders that much more bigger. So it will be an uphill struggle to reverse these trends

Puzzle

Donor
This thread has gotten ridiculous. I realize I'm to the right of most on this board, but I feel like the history of the twentieth century has shown that capitalism works, and this massive alleged future dystopia seems like the dreams of people hoping for a revolution.

America had booms and busts before the Great society was passed, and in this timeline it will likely continue to have them, just as we have had with the large scale welfare programs present.

Status
Not open for further replies.