Tonight, In This Very Ring: A Collection of Wrestling Timelines

And now we enter the 90s and we're hit with a nice little bombshell.

WWF: Things up north go a bit south as, inspired by the Jose Gonzales trial, the Nancy Argentino [1] case is reopened. Despite the efforts of the WWF to distance themselves from Snuka, the media is quick to tie them up into it. Snuka is soon charged with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, sentenced to twenty-five years in prison. The WWF's reputation as family-friendly entertainment suffers as a result of the verdict. The whole of WWF's 1990 was tainted by the Snuka trial, even as new main eventer The Ultimate Warrior won the WWF World Title from Hulk Hogan clean, Mr. Perfect began his year-long Intercontinental Title reign and Demolition won the Tag Titles.

WCW: After a strong showing in 1989, WCW was soon flooded by the terrible ideas of Jim Herd, such as the appearance of RocoCop at Capital Combat to rescue Sting from the Four Horsemen, the Chamber of Horrors match and the infamous Black Scorpion. Meanwhile, Ric Flair had been replaced as head booker by Herd, replaced by Ole Anderson, who began pushing his friends over the younger talent. The only bright spot found was Sting and Ric Flair's feud.

USWA: USWA has continued to run strong with Lawler and Brody trading the world title and the Von Erichs running strong as tag champions, along with the addition of Terry Funk winning the world title in November. However, the company is still marred in difficulties as Brody and Lawler homestead their major territories (Lawler in Memphis and Brody in Dallas) with a series of revenue disputes nearly forcing the Texas side of the leadership to pull out of the USWA. However, the disputes were settled, so Brody and the Von Erichs stayed in the promotion.

Michael Foley, working in USWA as Cactus Jack Manson [2] would leave the wrestling business in disgust at learning his childhood idol was a murderer. Many within the business, Brody included, feel it was a waste of potentially great talent to see him go.

AWA: AWA is still in its spiraling death, coming off the abysmal "Team Challenge Series" won by jobber Jake "The Milkman" Milliman. Many in the industry are certain that the company will not survive the next year.

WWC/FMW: The partnership between the two companies, despite their reputations, actually did fairly well, FMW drawing strong early crowds and WWC starting to regain followers. However, the partnership imploded after an angle set to build to an Onita/Goto vs. Invaders match. The angle saw Onita and Tarzan Goto break into the Invaders' locker room, wherein Goto held Invader III in a full nelson while Onita "stabbed" him in the stomach. [3] This was seen as a hugely tasteless move that had not been approved by Carlos Colon and it left both promotions worse off than when their partnership began.

[1] Nancy Argentino was Jimmy Snuka's girlfriend in 1983, who had died of wounds that looked to be caused by domestic violence.

[2] The "Manson" part was added during his time in CWA and was a reference to a woman who had been stalking Foley, sending him letters, etc. and infamous serial killer Charles Manson. Mick hated the surname being used at all.

[3] Based on an actual angle Onita ran with Jose Gonzalez, though Onita was the one who got "stabbed"
Okay.. Well I will miss Mick Foley in this TL. Could have been a potential rival to Brusier Broly.

Also the FMW/WWC alliance was a bad move. Also ouch. I forgot about the real life angle between the two men. I think WWC should close shop.

Also I wonder what will happen the AWA next year?

That angle is going to wind up on TTL's version of Wrestlecrap, IMO...

BTW, IMO, with regards to Argentino, I always thought that the police were suspicious of Snuka, but that there wasn't enough proof until years later...

That angle is going to wind up on TTL's version of Wrestlecrap, IMO...

BTW, IMO, with regards to Argentino, I always thought that the police were suspicious of Snuka, but that there wasn't enough proof until years later...

All I can gather from Wikipedia is that charges were not pressed, but the case was left open and Nancy's parents won a $500,000 default judgment. I'm gonna say in this TL, the Lehigh County DA decided to have the case reviewed much earlier than OTL. The investigation was launched on suspicion of the coroners.

Of course, Vince's involvement is getting Snuka off the hook is all rumor, but it's a rumor that gets spun more and will not help the WWF in 1991.

Okay.. Well, I will miss Mick Foley in this TL. Could have been a potential rival to Bruiser Broly.

Also, the FMW/WWC alliance was a bad move. Also ouch. I forgot about the real-life angle between the two men. I think WWC should close shop.

Also, I wonder what will happen the AWA next year?

Well now, there's someone you don't wanna ever look at funny. Legendary Super Saiyan Bruiser Brody.

Oh, WWC is definitely on the track to closure. I'd say 1993 after Carlos retires (he's not gonna be in the 1993 Rumble, by the by.)

Mick's gonna do fine outside of the business. While he may have to get by on Colette's work for a while, Mick will find a new calling as a writer, making a few minor successes in the literary world and even adapting his Dude Love character into a successful trilogy. They're no New York Times bestsellers, but they keep the lights on.

AWA? It's gonna close down like it did in OTL. 1991 was around that time.

Brody's Alive! (1991)

WWF: 1991 was a bad year for the 'Fed as it kicked off by exploiting the very real political tensions of the Gulf War, turning American hero Sgt. Slaughter into an Iraqi sympathizer to set up for a match with Hulk Hogan at that year's WrestleMania. However, their attempts to fill the LA Coliseum didn't go as planned so for "security reasons" they moved to the smaller LA Sports Arena. However, along with that was the blood in the water. Following the bad reputation of the company following the Jimmy Snuka trial, a federal investigation was launched into the WWF and WBF (Vince's bodybuilding spin-off) into the distribution of steroids and performance-enhancing drugs in the company. The trial is set to take place in 1992. However, the WWF did manage to snag Ric Flair during a desperate time for the company and speaking of...

WCW: In 1991, Jim Herd fired Ric Flair because he refused to put over Lex Luger. This is all that really needs to be about WCW 1991. Sure, there was a lot of talent and probably good stuff happening, but in a time when the feds are going to crack down on a wounded WWF for steroids, Herd fires one of the biggest stars in their company, their Hulk Hogan, to put over a bleach-blonde muscle-head. On top of that, they don't even pay him back the $25k security deposit he put down for the NWA World Title, so he takes that and heads up north.

AWA: Closed down this year, as it did OTL.

USWA: Still in business. Still doing good business, but there's still tension between the Jarretts and the Von Erichs. Lawler and Brody, trading the big belt, are pretty much having to be arbiters here.

So who gets to be the first victim of the Streak?

Wow, I saw this post and for a second thought that you had gotten confused with the last TL, but holy shit, that's right. Snuka was out by WrestleMania VII. Let's see, looking at the card, since Kerry actually didn't jump to WWF ITTL... Dino Bravo. Well, that's certainly a match.

Brody's Alive! (1992)

And now we come to a huge turnaround in the world of professional wrestling.

WWF: The WWF is taken to court and not just for the steroid trial. Murray Hogson, a former ring announcer, was the first to launch a suit, targeting Pat Patterson for sexual harassment. Following after Hogson would be ring crew member Tom Cole, who also would accuse Patterson, along with Gerald Brisco and Mel Phillips. Adding fuel to the fire was ex-WWF referee Rita Chatterton, who had alleged Vince of rape in the early 1980s. The end results all saw in favor of the plaintiffs and only saw things get worse for the company as the steroid trial also ended with the WWF being found guilty.

The result was a mass restructuring of the company and TitanSports., owing to the arrest of Patterson, Phillips, Brisco and of course, Vince McMahon. The WBF was dismantled, with every performer being pretty much blacklisted from bodybuilding and Lex Luger (who had been on there to circumvent a no-compete clause with WCW) now out of the WWF as they became leerier of him. Along with Luger, Hulk Hogan saw his career tank as crowds began blasting him with "Steroids!" chants in any arena. By the end of 1992, Hogan was out of the WWF and out of wrestling. Also retiring was Ric Flair, after being offered the position of head booker by Linda McMahon, who took the reins after her husband's arrest. But now the wrestling boom of the 80s is well and truly dead, and if the WWF is to survive, they will need to rely on a new generation of talent.

WCW: WCW was faring no better at this time. While it wasn't rocked by a series of scandals and court cases, it was rocked by changes in the regime. Jim Herd and Dusty Rhodes were out and in came Kip Frye, a Turner executive, in charge and with him was new booker "Cowboy" Bill Watts. Watts, highly regarded for booking Mid-South Wrestling and the UWF (not to be confused with the Herb Abrams version) was still booking as if this were the territory days and instituted some insane rules to the product. No top-rope moves. No floor mats. No ringside brawling. Heels and faces could not fraternize. Wrestlers had to stay for the entire show and couldn't have family members around when they wrestled. If a wrestler got beaten up, he was fired.

And the pay cuts. Oh, the pay cuts. In order to help the company actually make money (though it mostly made Bill money), wrestlers had to either take a pay cut, have their contracts restructured or they were gone. These contract negotiations cost them Scott Hall (then the Diamond Studd) the Steiner Brothers and kept them from snagging up Bret Hart and would've cost them Sting. Meanwhile, WCW would plunk down hundreds of thousands of dollars for mini-movies starring their wrestlers, such as the infamous "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal" which was used to hype Sting vs. Jake Roberts in a Coal Miner's Glove Match

Along with that, he saw fit to push his UWF running buddies Terry Gordy and Dr. Death Steve Williams (nothing with that), his son Erik (everything wrong with that) and Ron Simmons, who became the WCW World Champion and became known as the first black world champion. A major accomplishment... but one marred by Simmons being lacking in charisma (I mean, he's got more than Erik...) and being left to defend the belt on the midcard.

So yeah, not a good year for WCW.

USWA: And Bruiser Brody's finally had enough of Memphis. He's gotten sick of Lawler's shit and walked out, heading for the shiny new Eastern Championship Wrestling and dropping the belt on the way out while also leaving each of the remaining company leaders (Lawler/Jarrett/Kerry/Kevin) and additional 5% leaving it at an even 50/50 for the Memphis and Texas offices. Brody would go on to become the inaugural ECW champion, beating Salvatore Bellomo in a tournament final [1] in Pennsylvania, bringing with him some hot crowds. Within his year-long reign, he also gained the moniker of "The Last Outlaw" so you can tell Brody's here to stay.

[1] This was won by Snuka in OTL, but... well, ya know.

Hopefully, the star witness in Vince's steroid trial ITTL isn't Kevin Wacholz, the star witness for the prosecution IOTL who, among other things, admitted to hating Vince McMahon's guts on the witness stand; this, along with the fact that he choked McMahon after an argument over a payout, is believed to have been the reason why Vince was acquitted...

Methinks Bret Hart's going to be a bigger star (and, with no Vince around, someone is going to get a handle on Shawn Michaels' massive ego ITTL (1))…

(1) At this time, Shawn is a talented wrestler, to be fair, but his reputation as a massive asshole (and that's a milder term) at this time is well-known...

Oh, my. Expecting Heyman to do great things with the WWF ITTL. I mean, WCW will be on top for a while, no doubt about that, but if Heyman takes the reigns at some point down the line, they could definitely bounce back.

Also, as mentioned, All Japan and New Japan probably wouldn't be doing any worse than IOTL. If I'm understanding this correctly, Brody would convince Hansen to leave AJPW not long after the Atlas murder, so he wouldn't beat Genichiro Tenryu for his two titles that July or have that incredible tag match with Gordy against Tenryu and Toshiaki Kawada that December. I still think they'd want to do the American vs. Japanese angle tho, so let's say that if Terry Gordy didn't leave with Hansen, he'd beat Tenryu that August. The Tag League would need a bit of reorganising, seeing as you've lost (at least) Abdullah The Butcher and Dan Spivey with Hansen, but let's say Gordy wins the Tag League too with Johnny Ace. (ITTL Tiger Lee Singh tags with a young up-and-comer named Kenta Kobashi, and does about the same that year as IOTL.) Other than that, Jumbo becomes the first Triple Crown champ as IOTL, and assuming Tenryu leaves in 1990 ITTL, the Four Pillars era progresses as IOTL (albeit Johnny Ace likely has a bigger singles push, including a couple of Triple Crown runs, to compensate for the lack of Hansen). Also, you've probably lost the Can-Am Express with Hansen, so Tsuyoshi Kikuchi's legacy will unfortunately be a bit less memorable unless he defects to NJPW.

NJPW probably isn't much different at this point. You still have pretty much the same roster as IOTL, albeit with a couple of butterflies here and there, and they're probably doing the cross-promotion thing with WCW ITTL as well. Basically, Japan's fine for now.

So what you're saying is that Brody death saved Vince? WTF?

Honestly, it was more the fact that Gonzalez got away with the murder that saved Vince. The guilty verdict in the Gonzalez murder trial ITTL left a chink in the armor for more wrestling-related lawsuits to start up, reopening the Nancy Argentino murder case and leaving WWF with a wound for more court cases down the line.

Hopefully, the star witness in Vince's steroid trial ITTL isn't Kevin Wacholz, the star witness for the prosecution IOTL who, among other things, admitted to hating Vince McMahon's guts on the witness stand; this, along with the fact that he choked McMahon after an argument over a payout, is believed to have been the reason why Vince was acquitted...

Methinks Bret Hart's going to be a bigger star (and, with no Vince around, someone is going to get a handle on Shawn Michaels' massive ego ITTL (1))…

(1) At this time, Shawn is a talented wrestler, to be fair, but his reputation as a massive asshole (and that's a milder term) at this time is well-known...

Oh yeah, Wacholz wasn't the star witness. Guys like Berry de Mey, Jim Quinn, Eddie Robinson, Aaron Baker, David Dearth, and Gary Strydom gave their testimonies. And that's just the WBF side. On the WWF side, while Hogan had pretty much made a fool of himself on the Arsenio Hall Show, Bret Hart, just off winning the world title, gave a starkly honest admittance to the drug culture going on in the WWF, even pointing the finger at Davey Boy (a move that would result in bad blood between the two for some time.)

I can't tell how well Flair will be able to handle Shawn, but really it's not just Shawn that's the problem. The Kliq's making their way in. However, given the recent trial outcome, the WWF's gonna get a lot more hardline about wellness testing (I'm not gonna say the full Wellness Policy yet, but there's a chance that Shawn won't be spending the 90s coked out of his mind.)

Brody's Alive! (1993)

WWF:
1993 was the coronation of the New Generation as the new status quo of the WWF. Despite the bad publicity, USA Network is open to the launch of Monday Night RAW in place of the highlight reel that was Prime Time Wrestling and the combined effort of a number of hot talent on the scene, the WWF begins to regain their momentum as Bret Hart goes over a year as champion, Shawn Michaels almost goes a year as Intercontinental Champion before dropping the belt to Razor Ramon in September and on the tag side, the Steiner Brothers win the titles at WrestleMania IX, defeating Money Inc. and holding them until September, where they drop the Quebecers. While Bret was always rough on the charisma department, people bought into him as a clean, hard-working champion who didn't need steroids to get an edge in the competition and with so many fans disillusioned to the muscleheads, they began to embrace the Hitman. And while Shawn was something of a pain in Flair's ass backstage (he and Jannetty were party animals at the time and Shawn rankled heavily at the new drug policies, though not to the extent that Jannetty did. I won't say what Jannetty did to get himself fired, but it involved Flair's car, baby oil and a lot of Taco Bell...) he was clearly talented in his own right and was dripping charisma.

WCW: WCW, meanwhile, had gotten rid of Bill Watts and brought in Eric Bischoff. Bischoff did not have an auspicious start as he drummed out longtime announcer Jim Ross (who jumped ship to the WWF) but he managed to recover by keeping the WCW World Title on Vader for a whole year, pushing him hard as an unstoppable monster. This resulted in some great feuds against Sting and Davey Boy Smtih, but also a dud in the form of Lex Luger. Luger, who had been predicted a hero's welcome after his run in the WWF, was met with the haunting "steroids" chants that had driven Hogan to retirement. The crowd didn't give Luger an inch as a babyface and soon WCW had washed him out as well. Luger would retire by the end of the year.

Now, as I said, the feuds with Sting and Davey Boy were great. What wasn't was their builds. Remember the mini-movies? Oh yeah, those are back. There was the White Castle of Fear (Do they sell Sliders of Despair there?) and a movie where Sting and Davey Boy's boat almost got blown up by a midget in a shark suit (wat) and the Lex Express, a gigantic waste of time and money to hype up a match between Vader and Luger at Halloween Havoc. [1] In a positive, there was the Hollywood Blondes, the team of Brian Pillman and Steve Austin, who were fantastic throughout the year. [2] But you also had the decision for WCW to sever ties with the NWA and the maddening choice of almost Harlem Heat as the Posse, a gang of convicts led to the ring by Col. Rob Parker in chains. [3]

And while there was the positive of Sting winning the title at Starrcade... well, shit, I have to talk about it, don't I? The thing everyone brings up about this year for WCW. So... during an England tour just before Starrcade, Arn Anderson and Sid Vicious got into an argument and Sid got a hold of Arn's grooming scissors. Sid had already had a bad reputation dating back from 1991 when and Pillman got in a similar altercation that had resulted in Vicious ready to attack Flyin' Brian with a squeegee. Everyone would rib Sid about it, but no one laughed after this. Sid had stabbed Arn twenty times with the scissors, taking four cuts himself... and one of the twenty stabs proved fatal. There was no getting around it, Sid was fired and would soon be on trial and Arn Anderson was dead. Starrcade 1993 began with a ten-bell salute to Arn and WWF, in a display of good faith, allowed Ric to be there to honor his fallen friend and to hand the WCW World title to Sting.

So... a bit of a rollercoaster for WCW.

ECW: Meanwhile, ECW had broken away from the NWA, becoming Extreme Championship Wrestling. And with it, Shane Douglas would take up a spot in the new ECW by beating Bruiser Brody for the World Title, ending his year-long reign. However, there's a good chance that thanks to the crowds he drew that Brody will be kept on as a major player in ECW and will reclaim the title in time.

USWA: Unfortunately, USWA suffered from some tragic news as February 1993 saw Kerry Von Erich commit suicide via gunshot. While he would leave his 25% ownership of USWA to Kevin, Kevin would also leave at the end of the year, leaving Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler in full control. Kevin has taken to the independent circuit, but many are certain it won't be for long.

WWC: In January 1993, Carlos Colon retired from professional wrestling, unable to shake off the dark cloud looming over him and the World Wrestling Council after the murder of Tony Atlas. By the end of WWC, with dwindling crowds, any television left canceled and without many major stars that weren't tainted by the events in 1988, the World Wrestling Council closes its doors. Not a victim of the WWF and the fall of the territory system, but instead of its own failings.

[1] In place of Lost in Cleveland, we got the Lex Express. Yay?

[2] And weren't broken up like OTL. At least not yet.

[3] Yes. This was almost a thing in OTL.

Stop it, both of you...you're making me hungry.:confused:

So Vince is in jail, WCW is doing WCW things, ECW's doing ECW things and the Colon's name is tarnished (which is a shame, in hindsight I did enjoy Carlito.)

Stop it, both of you...you're making me hungry.:confused:

So Vince is in jail, WCW is doing WCW things, ECW's doing ECW things and the Colon's name is tarnished (which is a shame, in hindsight I did enjoy Carlito.)

Invader I, Vince, Snuka, Sid, Brisco, Patterson. Cells are filling up. Plus Hogan, Luger, and Foley are out of the business, Tony Atlas and Arn are dead, Flair's probably gonna stay retired now, Jimmy Jr. and Tamina never take up the business and we lose Carly, Eddie, and Orlando Colon. The 90s have been way more unkind to the wrestling business ITTL.