Tonight, In This Very Ring: A Collection of Wrestling Timelines

Hogan's Dark Side
Hogan's Dark Side

Suggested by @Milton82 we look at a timeline where Hulk Hogan turned heel after losing the title at WrestleMania VI. It was quite the hook for me. So, let's dive in.

WrestleMania VI

67000+ Canadians load the SkyDome in Toronto to see The Ultimate Challenge. WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs. Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior. In the closing moments, the Warrior wins with the splash, becoming dual champion. Hogan extends a hand in congratulation...

Only to hit him with a clothesline. After stomping on Warrior on the floor and shoving aside the ref, Hulk hits the legdrop to the shock and dismay of the crow. Why, Hulkster, why?! Hogan makes his reasoning clear as the weeks go on. Throughout the buildup to 'Mania, he had heard talk about passing the torch and it bothered Hogan something fierce. Passing the torch, like the flame was dying. He got sick of the talk and he wants Warrior to know that he will be champion again. That he will carry the torch of the WWF in the 90s like he did in the 80s and beyond that.

SummerSlam 1990

Dusty Rhodes (w/Sapphire) d. Earthquake (w/Dino Bravo and Jimmy Hart)

So, some shuffling done on the top of the card. The American Dream keeps his run going with a Bionic Elbow to Earthquake. We also don't break up him and Sapphire, so she stays for now.

Rick Rude (w/Bobby Heenan) d. Randy Savage (w/Queen Sherri)

Savaage slowly drifts back to babyface throughout the months, helped by Sherri blasting him with her heel during a crucial juncture, leaving him open for a Rude Awakening.

The Ultimate Warrior (c) d. Hulk Hogan in a Steel Cage Match for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship

We get the big WrestleMania rematch inside the cage. Hogan's change to heel has mainly come in beating on his former babyface friends and refusing to hit his signature legdrop after doing it to Warrior at WreslteMania VI. Now he finishes things with the Axe Bomber. He also takes to dirty tactics, like hitting Warrior with a chain wrapped around his fist, drawing blood. Warrior overcomes these tricks and manages to escape the cage, keeping his title.

Hogan's Dark Side: Survivor Series 1990
Survivor Series 1990

Venue: Hartford Civic Center
Attendance: 16,000
Announce Team: Gorilla Monsoon/Roddy Piper​

(Dark: Shane Douglas d. Buddy Rose)

We're mostly trading in OTL matches, just slightly less to add a little more time to what's left.

The Million Dollar Team (Ted DiBiase/The Undertaker/The Honky Tonk Man/Greg Valentine) (w/Brother Love, Jimmy Hart and Virgil) d. The Dream Team (Dusty Rhodes/Koko B. Ware/Bret Hart/Jim Neidhart) (w/Sapphire)
The Visionaries (Rick Martel/Hercules/The Warlord/Paul Roma) (w/Slick) d. The Vipers (Jake Roberts/Jimmy Snuka/Shawn Michaels/Marty Jannetty)

There's the OTL matches. I cut two matches (kinda, sorta) totaling an extra 28 minutes, so each gets seven extra minutes of bell time.

Sarge's Soldiers (Sgt. Slaughter/Tito Santana/Butch/Luke) d. The Invaders (Nikolai Volkoff/Boris Zhukov/Sato/Tanaka) (w/Mr. Fuji and General Adnan)

Well, here's a little change. This time Slaughter comes in as a face and faces against a Russo-Japanese team with his Mexican and Kiwi buddies. I mean, Hogan's a heel, so we're gonna need an all-American babyface and who better than a member of GI Joe?

The Warriors (The Ultimate Warrior/Kerry Von Erich/Hawk/Animal) vs. Team Hogan (Hulk Hogan/Mr. Perfect/Smash/Crush) (w/Bobby Heenan and Ax) (No Contest)

So, we take the opener, put a little Hogan in it and voila! New match! We do have the big double-DQ spot with the Road Warriors and Demolition being too hard to handle, plus Perfect eliminating Kerry and Warrior taking out Perfect, but now Warrior and Hogan stand again, face-to-face. And... double count-out finish. Yeah, I know, a bit disappointing, but Hogan's lost twice already so we need to keep him strong, but a heel main event victory would be a letdown. So instead, both men brawl all around, ignoring the count and just fighting up the aisle to wrap things up here at Survivor Series.

...What's that? What about the Gooker? Oh, he got beaten up by Hogan's team before the main event. Demolition Decapitation, followed by a Perfectplex leading into a rare legdrop from Hogan.

I think a WrestleMania 7 match between Slaughter as the face and Hogan as the heel could be an interesting direction.

Agreed, it would also butterfly away the whole stupidity with Slaughter being an Iraqi sympathizer. Then again, it could still happen and be given to Tugboat as originally planned.

And that's is not something I'd like to see with my Tugboats.

I think how it should go is Hogan acts like he's a better American than anybody else. Act like the crowd is worthless, then have Sgt Slaughter step in.

Hogan's Dark Side: Royal Rumble 1991-WrestleMania VII
Royal Rumble 1991

The Ultimate Warrior (c) d. Hulk Hogan for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship (DQ) (Guest Ref: Sgt. Slaughter)

So, instead of Savage, Hogan gets another shot at the title, with the Macho King getting rejected for a title match. He cracks Warrior over the head with a scepter, leaving Hogan to go for the pin. Slaughter starts to count but stops as he sees a piece of broken scepter. He calls for the disqualification and Hogan is pissed. They start jawing at each other before being forced to clear out.

1991 Royal Rumble: Randy Savage Wins

Rather than doing a full Rumble, I'm mainly changing the outcome. Savage actually enters and wins it, eliminating Duggan last to take the win because why not? Hogan got his Rumble win last year, let Savage have it.

WrestleMania VII

Hulk Hogan d. Sgt. Slaughter

The story of this match is of course that Slaughter is pissed at Hogan for betraying his ideals. Hogan used to wave the flag, he used to be a symbol of all America can be, a real American. Well now he's up against a Real American Hero. Really sell the 'MURICA thing hard to fill seats. Nothing tasteless, so we actually manage to get into the LA Memorial Coliseum. Total 64,632 people in attendance, so that's good numbers. But despite this, Hogan wins with an Axe Bomber followed by a Legdrop (He only does it for PPVs now, so it's a lot more special)

The Ultimate Warrior (c) d. Randy Savage (w/Queen Sherri) in a Title vs. Career Match for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship

Another OTL match with a twist. Now for the title, but ending all the same with Warrior keeping and Savage reuniting with Elizabeth to end the the show.

Randy Savage came close to winning the Royal Rumble in 1993, when he was the runner-up to Yokozuna; if he'd won, Hart-Savage would have been better than Hart-Yokozuna...

I don't know if they would have kept the title on Ultimate Warrior. Business drop down badly during his reign.
Agreed. Warrior really needed guys who were better than him to keep him relevant in-ring. But if this match doesn't change Vince's mind, then either the otl ransom incident Warrior pulled on Vince at Summerslam will or the Steroid Trial.

Here's a butterfly and a half. What if Nia Jax's shoot punch on Becky Lynch misses, so Becky doesn't get injured and so the planned Becky/Ronda match at Survivor Series 2018 goes ahead?

I have a lot of suggestions for the next one,

• What if Randy Savage returned to the WWE in 2004 instead of going to TNA?
  • What if Owen Hart had won at Summerslam '94?
  • What If Sting jumpship to the WWE prior to 2014?
  • What if The Rockers never split up?
  • What if the Benoit tragedy never happened?
  • What if Hulk Hogan won the AWA Championship?
  • What if Kurt Angle hadn't gone to ECW in '06?
  • What if Sting had been the third man?
  • What if Bret Hart left WWF in '92?
  • What if The Rock never left?
  • What if Rikishi hadn't ran over Stone Cold? (aka who else besides Rikishi)
  • What if CM Punk lost at Money in The Bank 2011?
  • What if Hulk Hogan never went to WCW?
  • What if Shawn Michaels jumpship to WCW in '96?
  • What if the reign of terror never happened?