@Milites , great update as always. I do think that you were able to find the most plausible spin to the whole alternative Mohacs campaign. I believe you did a very good job depicting how powerful Ottoman military machine really was: even with all allied contingents that were able to reach Louis ITTL Suleiman almost surely could take Buda had he been absolutely determined to, but since he achieved his goals for campaign he chose to retreat (IOTL of course Ottomans entered the abandoned Buda, but retreated after pillaging it; since ITTL Buda is actually defended by a sizable army, it makes a lot of sense to avoid a costly siege or assault).

P. S. on an unrelated note, I have reread the previous chapter and have noticed that on the map Albertine and Ernestine Saxonies have their colores swapped (that is Ernestine Saxony should be a part of Evangelical League of Torgau, not Catholic League of Dessau and vice versa).

I’d like to give my 5 cents on the ongoing and upcoming events in Hungary:
An absolutely magnificent update. I really enjoy the spin on Mohacs this time around. It is a bit funny how perspectives change when you try to contrast these sorts of events to their OTL counterparts. I am not entirely sure, but I actually think that this result might be more beneficial to the Ottomans than the OTL sequence of events - Hungary is removed as a formidable force on the northern border, instead splintered by civil war and effectively removed from the Habsburg arsenal. It replaces the OTL constant back-and-forth with what is essentially a greatly weakened buffer state and allows the Ottomans to concentrate their resources more directly on whatever ongoing trouble spot they seek to deal with.

The amount of work and research put into this is incredible - knowing how difficult it is to find from my own TL experiments with this period, the level of detail you are able to draw out is frankly disgusting. This remains my favorite TL in the pre-1900 forum and I can't wait to see what more you have in store for us.
I think it’s more complex, if the Hungarians are permanent weaken the Ottomans will make a move to conquer Hungary again, while if the king wins he will likely break the nobility and set up a proto-absolute state up. This would leave Ottomans with a stronger Hungary with good relationship with the emperor meaning the Hungarians can always focus on the Ottomans.
As always, I'm glad to see the excellent writing -- and excellent mapmaking -- of this TL return.

Stephen Brodarics is clearly the smartest man in Hungary, especially when one has the OTL hindsight of what happened at Mohacs. The Hungarian elite, IOTL as ITTL, is outright delusional -- and Louis II is a) not as able as Bela II, who saved Hungary from total destruction by the Mongols, and b) tied to a Bohemia that is already old hand at the coming century of religious strife. Even compared to other examples -- like the Portuguese before Alcacerquibir or the late-stage Polish szlachta -- they seem hellbent on crippling the realm for their own personal benefit. It's incredible how the pendulum swung from Corvinus to this -- and as others have pointed out upthread, this prolonged civil war and furthering hollowing-out of Hungary may well be worse than the swift decapitation of IOTL.

I'm rooting for the quixotic rebels of Black Serbia (as opposed to Montenegro, the other black Serbia) -- and I have to wonder how long the Croats will tolerate this collapse of royal authority and regional security before entertaining a revival of the Crown of Zvonimir (perhaps given to the ascendant Germans?) As Zulfurium also points out, the Ottomans are not yet tied down officially in Hungary -- perhaps Black Serbia or Croatia will become a Phanariot-run puppet state, and the Vlachs will instead be subjected to direct rule from Constantinople? With the Russians doing better against Kazan, a direct land connection to the Crimean Khanate may be more necessary than IOTL.

I also have to wonder what play the Bohemians will go for, especially given the advent of Protestantism. Without the direct Habsburg inheritance, and with their tradition of selecting kings instead of firm primogeniture, I'd guess that it is more likely that the Bohemian crown will (eventually) go to a Protestant German prince as opposed to the Habsburgs - the directly neighboring Saxon Wettins make sense, as does the House of Brandenburg.
I'd like to point out that while the disaster of Mohacs is avoided ITTL the resolution of the campaign is not that different from IOTL:

1. IOTL Ottomans despite their overwhelming success did not try to annex large parts of Hungary in 1526 (IOTL it happened in 1541 after Zapolya’s death) and have left the country content with their loot and reducing Hungarian military might despite taking an abandoned Buda (the last bit is of course butterflied ITTL). So while Hungarian losses are smaller ITTL and Ottomans have fewer loot from Ottoman perspective the changes are probably very minor.
2. Civil war between Zapolya and pro-German faction is also very much OTL. Of course ITTL position of Zapolya is much weaker than it was IOTL: unlike IOTL the legitimate king is alive, as well as many of his supporters who IOTL died on the field of Mohacs, but survived ITTL (of course ITTL pro-royal party has also suffered substantial losses in the campaign, but not nearly as devastating as IOTL).

So, the main immediate difference in the aftermath of campaign between IOTL and ITTL is that the "royal" (or pro-German) party in Hungary is much stronger than it was IOTL (of course Louis surviving may lead to important dynastic butterflies but this changes if they indeed do happen are not immediate). While the possible next Ottoman invasion would probably go harder than it did IOTL (given that the Hungarian suffered less losses than they did IOTL), they are still very much able to take large swaths of Hungary if they want to do so.
The difference with IOTL is that Ottomans probably have less reasons to invade: Louis on the northern border ITTL is definitely not as threatening as allowing Ferdinand to control Hungary unopposed and Zapolya that IOTL was a good figure against Ferdinand’s dominance is probably perceived weaker candidate than he was IOTL (and thus invasions in his support are probably less likely).

I'll put out a guess though that Zapolya will probably win most of Hungary. His rhetoric will simply be more appealing to the nobles, and he'll probably only realize the shitty position he put himself into when he's the one suddenly holding royal authority. The Jagiellons will probably retreat to Bohemia. I could see the Habsurg's somehow all but making Croatia a vassal somehow. As the Jagiellons will likely hold onto their claims to Hungary and the Haburgs will want Hungary retaken, I sort of imagine Hungary will instead become a bugger state between the Habsurg's and Ottomans. Technically independent, but honestly not able to challenge anyone in either direction without the aid of the other.
I personally do find Zapolya’s victory extremely unlikely baring decisive foreign involvement. IOTL Zapolya’s initial position in the Civil War was much stronger than ITTL (see item 2 above). Ottomans have also delivered him Buda, so he controlled a much larger portion of Hungary than ITTL. And yet by 1528 he was already decisively defeated by Ferdinand and forced to seek help first from his Polish allies (Sigismund’s first wife was John’s siter, so he very friendly to Zapolya and provided him diplomatic support at least since 1526) and in 1529 from the hated Ottomans (going as far as receiving the Crown of St. Stephen from Turks on the very field of Mohacs).
ITTL Louis’s position is much stronger than Ferdinand’s IOTL: while his foreign allies are unlikely to provide him support against Zapolya, the army of Hungarian royal partisans is at least equal to Zapolya’s in numbers (and probably at least slightly superior). Given the fact that Zapolya ITTL is undoubtfully an usurper and the accusations of him being in agreement with Suleiman, I don’t think he will be able attract much more supporters than Louis. And even if Zapolya would be able to overcome Louis against all odds, if the situation would become really threatening for the king his allies (chiefly Ferdinand) would undoubtably support him.

So, in my opinion the only chance Zapolya has is to get a large direct military aid from either Poland or Ottoman Empire. Of course, Sigismund and Suleiman both have other uses for their armies. And even if they do get involved, Zapolya’s victory is by no means guaranteed, as such involvement would probably lead to Ferdinand and Bohemian estates providing similar help to Louis.

Last edited:
Sigismund would not support Zapolya against his own nephew.
Suleiman is literally the only person who could support Zapolya. Sigismund won't choose him over his nephew, and Ferdinand won't choose him over his brother-in-law. Which means either Suleiman supports the man or Zapolya better hope that Poland and the HRE have their hands tied long enough for both sides to be on their own. (in which case, Zapolya has the wealth and the support to last compared to Louis)

First of all I would like to thak you all for the many responses! After writing such a draining chapter, it's very rewarding to see such a level of interest!

An absolutely magnificent update. I really enjoy the spin on Mohacs this time around. It is a bit funny how perspectives change when you try to contrast these sorts of events to their OTL counterparts. I am not entirely sure, but I actually think that this result might be more beneficial to the Ottomans than the OTL sequence of events - Hungary is removed as a formidable force on the northern border, instead splintered by civil war and effectively removed from the Habsburg arsenal. It replaces the OTL constant back-and-forth with what is essentially a greatly weakened buffer state and allows the Ottomans to concentrate their resources more directly on whatever ongoing trouble spot they seek to deal with.

The amount of work and research put into this is incredible - knowing how difficult it is to find from my own TL experiments with this period, the level of detail you are able to draw out is frankly disgusting. This remains my favorite TL in the pre-1900 forum and I can't wait to see what more you have in store for us.

As always it's very gratifying to hear such high praise from you! Research was really a double-edged sword in writing this chapter. I could probably have finished it much, much sooner if I had not been so focused on getting the details right. I'm glad that the detail lives up to the high standards I've come to expect of myself, but it does also definitely slow down the pace of updates :/

So, Mohacs is butterflied! And no Habsburg Bohemia and Hungary... Very interesting stuff! I wonder if we end up in a situation with Zapolya Hungary and Jagiellon Bohemia

And as always, a very lovely update :) I’m always overjoyed when this TL shows notifications hahah

Glad to hear that you remain invested in this timeline! We'll have to see how the currents of history bob around in the Empire and Constantinople before a definite answer might present itself, I'm afraid.

Incredible. Will we at least get to find out if Louis is able to keep his throne?

For now Louis is rather well-poised to retain at least his western domains. Besides the king surviving at all, this alternate Mohács has also spared a large part of the pro-royal nobility, which should increase the power and ability of the anti-Zápolyan party.

Wow Nice job, Hungary seems to be on the brink

It is! I honestly wonder how many men Louis would be able to drum up so soon after the Ottoman invasion. For now at least, the voivode seems to be in the ascendance. At least in the east :)

excellent chapter! it was brilliant how you butterflied Mohacs yet still not fixing Hungary. while it is sad to see the anarchy unfold it will be fascinating to watch, so basically Hungary in the foreseeable future will be like the PLC in the 18th century?

Thank you :)

If Zápolya and the magnates win the civil war, I imagine they would complete the emasculation of royal authority and might even install an institutionalised elective monarchy as we saw in OTL's Principality of Transylvania.

I think it’s more complex, if the Hungarians are permanent weaken the Ottomans will make a move to conquer Hungary again, while if the king wins he will likely break the nobility and set up a proto-absolute state up. This would leave Ottomans with a stronger Hungary with good relationship with the emperor meaning the Hungarians can always focus on the Ottomans.

I think that the Ottomans would probably be eyeing developments in Hungary very carefully in order to keep the realm as fragmented as possible.

Also @Milites your maps are amazing as always.

Thanks! :)

Absolutely incredible work, as always. Interesting that the Ottomans don't seem to be actively backing Zapolya, but to be honest it might make more sense to play the one against the other if you're hoping to weaken Hungary sufficiently for conquest.

Also, being entirely pedantic, but this sentence doesn't make sense:

Also also, your maps are as beautifully drawn as ever.

Well in OTL, certain elements within the Ottoman army wanted to attack Zápolya, but held off on the sultan's explicit command. I think Süleyman is biding his time in order to figure out how events will unfold in Hungary, but is ready and willing to offer aid to the "Magyar Party" should the crown's advantage grow by too great a margin.

On the other hand, John Zápolya reversed his position in OTL when faced with Ferdinand - even signing a secret treaty that would have reunited the kingdom after his death (effectively making Ferdinand his heir).

As always, I'm glad to see the excellent writing -- and excellent mapmaking -- of this TL return.

Stephen Brodarics is clearly the smartest man in Hungary, especially when one has the OTL hindsight of what happened at Mohacs. The Hungarian elite, IOTL as ITTL, is outright delusional -- and Louis II is a) not as able as Bela II, who saved Hungary from total destruction by the Mongols, and b) tied to a Bohemia that is already old hand at the coming century of religious strife. Even compared to other examples -- like the Portuguese before Alcacerquibir or the late-stage Polish szlachta -- they seem hellbent on crippling the realm for their own personal benefit. It's incredible how the pendulum swung from Corvinus to this -- and as others have pointed out upthread, this prolonged civil war and furthering hollowing-out of Hungary may well be worse than the swift decapitation of IOTL.

I'm rooting for the quixotic rebels of Black Serbia (as opposed to Montenegro, the other black Serbia) -- and I have to wonder how long the Croats will tolerate this collapse of royal authority and regional security before entertaining a revival of the Crown of Zvonimir (perhaps given to the ascendant Germans?) As Zulfurium also points out, the Ottomans are not yet tied down officially in Hungary -- perhaps Black Serbia or Croatia will become a Phanariot-run puppet state, and the Vlachs will instead be subjected to direct rule from Constantinople? With the Russians doing better against Kazan, a direct land connection to the Crimean Khanate may be more necessary than IOTL.

I also have to wonder what play the Bohemians will go for, especially given the advent of Protestantism. Without the direct Habsburg inheritance, and with their tradition of selecting kings instead of firm primogeniture, I'd guess that it is more likely that the Bohemian crown will (eventually) go to a Protestant German prince as opposed to the Habsburgs - the directly neighboring Saxon Wettins make sense, as does the House of Brandenburg.

Happy to hear that you're still enjoying this old thing!

As far as I know, the majority of the Czech populace at the onset of the Reformation followed the Utraquist-Hussite confession, which I suppose would predispose them favourably to Luther's ideas. However, I haven't studied this fascinating prospect, so I really can't back my ideas up yet. It will most definitely have to be examined as we move forward. Also, remember that Queen Mary is rumoured to be a closeted Evangelical. She might make a more palpable prospect than some Saxon princeling.

In OTL, Croatia was one of the very first regions of the Hungarian realm to declare for Ferdinand. I might misremember, but I seem to recall that certain areas had already placed themselves under Habsburg protection even before the Battle of Mohács. As such, I think that no matter what happens on the Pannonian Plain, the Croats will always back the candidate with the greatest affinity for the Austrians.

Regarding Black Serbia, Jovan's little esoteric and millenarian empire in Syrmia has also found its way to the heart of your's truly :) I don't see how it could survive being so close to the Ottoman menace, but I imagine it could soldier on for longer than its OTL's mere year long existence.

Magnificent as always. The level of detail. I'll basically need to reread Chapter 27 just to appreciate some of the small things. In awe of the amount of research. Hard to find anything comparable, especially when they're focusing on a region not the center of their TL.

I really love how not suffering the catastrophic Battle of Mohacs doesn't mean that things are good. Mohacs largely happened due to serious underlying issues in the Hungarian state, and losing less spectacularly surely doesn't change that. Too often TL's will have such a monumental battle go the other way, and it seems everything starts trending better. I'm going to say this civil war won't be ending anytime soon.

I'll put out a guess though that Zapolya will probably win most of Hungary. His rhetoric will simply be more appealing to the nobles, and he'll probably only realize the shitty position he put himself into when he's the one suddenly holding royal authority. The Jagiellons will probably retreat to Bohemia. I could see the Habsurg's somehow all but making Croatia a vassal somehow. As the Jagiellons will likely hold onto their claims to Hungary and the Haburgs will want Hungary retaken, I sort of imagine Hungary will instead become a bugger state between the Habsurg's and Ottomans. Technically independent, but honestly not able to challenge anyone in either direction without the aid of the other.

While I would never claim to be a gifted story teller, there are a lot of minor points and developments in this and the previous chapter, which will have momentous importance for how history unfolds. And you're right about the structural issues. When I first read that Pál Tomori's men actually threatened to attack the king's men *on the eve of the Battle of Mohács* I was literally dumbstruck at the sheer distrust between the parties.

No matter the effort, I have not been able to find a proper English-language work on the Bohemian crown in the late medieval-early modern period. It's been vexing me to no end actually. So I won't be able to comment fully on how the Bohemians would respond to the developments in Hungary. I do know that one of Zápolya's allies once wrote a letter in which he stated that the Bohemians the Moravians, and the Silesians would be most pleased to have his master as the king of Hungary because then, instead of having to fight against so powerful an enemy as the Turks, on behalf of Ferdinand, they "... could spend their time fishing peaceably in their pond."

@Milites , great update as always. I do think that you were able to find the most plausible spin to the whole alternative Mohacs campaign. I believe you did a very good job depicting how powerful Ottoman military machine really was: even with all allied contingents that were able to reach Louis ITTL Suleiman almost surely could take Buda had he been absolutely determined to, but since he achieved his goals for campaign he chose to retreat (IOTL of course Ottomans entered the abandoned Buda, but retreated after pillaging it; since ITTL Buda is actually defended by a sizable army, it makes a lot of sense to avoid a costly siege or assault).

P. S. on an unrelated note, I have reread the previous chapter and have noticed that on the map Albertine and Ernestine Saxonies have their colores swapped (that is Ernestine Saxony should be a part of Evangelical League of Torgau, not Catholic League of Dessau and vice versa).

Always glad to hear you chime in! It was important for me to balance out the narrative and dispel the traditional understanding (which I must confess, I also shared prior to writing this chapter) that Móhacs was a battle between an outdated feudal army and a modernised Ottoman army. At the same time, the Turks were so well trained, organised and led that it would probably have been impossible for any Christian army to outright defeat them in the field. The only exception being an army led by Christian II of the North, of course ;)

Sigismund would not support Zapolya against his own nephew.
Suleiman is literally the only person who could support Zapolya. Sigismund won't choose him over his nephew, and Ferdinand won't choose him over his brother-in-law. Which means either Suleiman supports the man or Zapolya better hope that Poland and the HRE have their hands tied long enough for both sides to be on their own. (in which case, Zapolya has the wealth and the support to last compared to Louis)

While I agree that it won't look good for Sigismund if he were to back an apparent rebel over his own kinsman, I do think that Zápolya's position is a bit more rocky than what I might have shown in the update. In OTL, the voivode's wealth was rapidly depleted as Ferdinand seized his assets and estates in the west. While Zápolya might avoid (or even win) the military struggle with his rival in TTL, he's not in a position to simply wait out the Jagiellonians. I imagine that he would have to go on the offensive sooner rather than later. Besides, for now he has the upper hand in regards to actually having a functioning army in the field.

Chapter 29: A Thorny Olive Branch

Chapter 29
A Thorny Olive Branch

Beard to beard, honour expresses itself.

- Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, quoting a Spanish proverb, 1527[1]

POPE JULIUS II: Enough of these jokes, and watch yourself; for I, if you do not know it, am Julius of Liguria, and I do not doubt you recognise these two letters P. M., unless you have forgotten how to read.

SAINT PETER: I expect they stand for Pestiferous Maximus.

- Erasmus of Rotterdam: Julius Excluded From Heaven, 1514​

LU9SvUU.jpg

Christ Before Pilate by the Master of the Beighem Altarpiece, ca 1521. The coat of arms in the upper part of the panel is that of Guillaume de Croy, an advisor to Charles V. Produced in the administrative centre of the Habsburg realm of Brussels, the painting could very well be seen as an allegory over the emperor’s thankless job of treading the confessional waters of Early Modern Germany.

By 1527, the War of the League of Windsor had, for all intents and purposes, become a stalemate. With the Count of Nassau-Breda and the Viscount of Leiden maintaining a tentative occupation of France north of the Oise, the prospect of an Imperial-Tudor-Oldenburg attack on Paris forced Francis I to remain on the defensive. Conversely, the French were safely ensconced on the Padan Plain and kept their Italian satrapies on a tight leash. Increasingly, Charles V came to the realisation that the Gordian Knot that was the war with France could only be solved if the full potential of his German domains was unleashed. The only sword sharp enough to deliver the such an Alexandrine stroke was the convening of a national, German church council and the resolution of the gravamina.[2] As such, the emperor left his Iberian nest and took ship to the Netherlands arriving in Bruges on the 12th of February 1527, almost a decade to the day he had first left for Spain.

Stopping briefly at Mechelen to pay his aunt Margaret his respects (and knighting a half a hundred Netherlandish veterans of the Gravelines campaign in the process) Charles continued south along the Rhine, arriving at Augsburg on the 15th of April 1527. Awaiting him at the city gates were the flower of the empire’s princes and prelates. Philip of Hesse stood arm in arm with Archduke Ferdinand, the two having formed a tight bond whilst campaigning in Hungary. Over the course of the following months, more and more delegates from the rest of the Holy Roman Empire poured into the city, the long list of potentates being topped by the arrival of King Christian II of Denmark, Norway and Sweden and his 9-year old heir-apparent, Prince Hans. Although ostensibly appearing solely in his capacity as Duke of Holstein, Christian II undoubtedly wished to conduct back-room negotiations with his brother-in-law regarding more royal matters.

For his part, Charles V was delighted to finally meet his young nephew to whom he took an immediate liking.[3] Furthermore, the emperor must have felt that the presence of such a powerful prince as Christian II could only strengthen his own position vis-à-vis the German Evangelicals, centred in the Lower Saxon Circle. It was a feeling not entirely shared by Charles’ cautious councillors. The old rumour that the King of the Northlands had brought a locked chest stacked with Lutheran treaties to his meeting with the emperor in 1521 had not been dispelled by Christian’s subsequent ecclesiastical reforms.[4] Nevertheless, the king and emperor soon formed an axis around which the following negotiations orbited.

At Charles’ request, Philip of Hesse had the main Evangelical theologians prepare a statement outlining the articles of their confession. The primary author of this Confessio Augustana, or Augsburg Confession, was the staunch irenicist Philip Melanchthon, who led the reformist camp in Luther’s absence.[5] Briefly speaking, Melanchthon’s articles centred on demonstrating the true catholicity of the Evangelicals, downplaying or softening controversial issues and distancing the reform movement from “heretics” such as the Anabaptists.[6] Under the influence of his eminent chancellor, Mercurino Arborio di Gattinara, Charles V surprised many contemporary commentators by earnestly considering the Evangelical grievances. Indeed, the emperor was so keen to avoid conflict that when a Lutheran noble attending the Diet declared that “… he would rather lose his head than be either deprived of or denied the Word of God” the emperor replied franticly, in his characteristically broken German: “No chop heads! No chop heads![7]

It took more than two hours for Melanchthon to read out the Augsburg Confession. A proceeding so longwinded and theologically complicated that the emperor himself nodded off. Still, this was not perceived as a slight on Charles’ part for, as one witty Evangelical commentator noted: “… having slept while our Confession was read out, he also fell asleep in the middle of the reading of the Response of our adversaries.”[8]

Slowly but steadily, the two sides began to inch closer to compromise. The camaraderie achieved by the “successful” intervention in Hungary and the masterful mediation of Gattinara, Ferdinand and Christian II were particularly essential in creating the level of trust needed for the two parties to reach an accord.[9] That is not to say that Charles V did not have second thoughts. By convening a German Church council, he had invariably taken the first step towards creating a territorial, German Church - a move not entirely in accordance with the Habsburg ideology of the universal empire. After all, the Universal Emperor could not have a divided Church. However, his scruples were abated by the unanimous election of Ferdinand as King of the Romans. This effectively cemented the archduke’s position as the emperor’s deputy in German political as well as ecclesiastical matters. Given the fact that Charles referred to his brother as “… another me[10] Habsburg supremacy was bound to remain unchallenged. Indeed, the election of Ferdinand[11] amounted to the electors’ tacit acceptance of a hereditary monarchy within the empire, wholly invested in the Habsburg family. However, the Evangelical princes fully expected to be constitutionally recompensed by way of a religious settlement legalising their confessional preferences. To them religious and political liberty went hand in hand: The ability to lawfully reform their domains constituted a tangible show of independence free from central interference. In other words, both parties were working together to feather their own nests.

Matters now advanced at a considerable pace. Luther, sulking at the Saxon castle of Coburg, was offended that the olive branch offered by Melanchthon had “… grown so many leaves” and refused to answer the Wittenbergers’ repeated calls for advice. It was clear that Luther feared that he was losing control over what he believed to be “his movement” and as such tried to discredit Melanchthon by leaving him open to criticism of defeatism in face of Papist doctrine.[12] Indeed, in one scathing letter, Luther wrote: “I deeply hate your miserable worries that eat you up, as you say. That they so much dominate you in your heart is not because of the magnitude of the matter, but because of the magnitude of our lack of faith.”[13]

Nonetheless, irenicism was in the ascendance. Theological committees convened by the Diet considered matters such as fasting, feast days, the sacrament, clerical marriage, salvation and the secular authority of bishops. Melanchthon struck a brilliant conciliatory tone by stating that although external ceremonies such as fasting and feast days were not commanded by Scripture, the fact that they were not essential meant that they were not detrimental to salvation. Conversely, the Catholics granted an extraordinary concession by agreeing that salvation itself was by faith and grace - and not by good works alone. Furthermore, Catholic theologians were surprisingly willing to give the laity the chalice - provided they also taught that the receiving of the sacrament was sufficient for salvation. In this regard, the Wittenbergers gave way only rather slowly, but finally came around when Melanchthon reminded his colleagues that Luther himself had espoused a similar position at an earlier point in time. Finally, it was agreed to temporarily compromise on the issue until a general Church council could be held, which would also deliberate on the question of clerical marriage: The Catholics proving themselves willing to tolerate whatever marriages already consummated.[14]

dengndj-cdd747be-8403-424c-9d49-5b0d6b1efc3a.png

The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation at the time of the Diet of Augsburg. A decade after Martin Luther had nailed his 95 theses to the door of the Wittenberg cathedral, the Evangelical cause had spread like a wildfire through Germany. Following Albrecht von Hohenzollern’s secularisation of the Teutonic Order in 1525, the Reformation made the ground-breaking transition from popular movement to state-sanctioned confession. With the promulgation of Evangelical ecclesiastical statutes in the Landgraviate of Hesse and in Ernestine Saxony, the Reformation had procured a decidedly magisterial outlook.

The thorniest issue proved to the question of the episcopacy. While both Luther and Melanchthon showed a willingness to compromise, the Sacramentarians (the followers of Huldrych Zwingly and Martin Bucer) and certain sections of the Lutheran movement (particularly the Nurembergers) baulked at the prospect of any potential restitution of secularised bishoprics. However, with Luther taking the backseat to the negotiations and the spirit of compromise hovering over the confessional waters, the representatives from the Zwinglian Imperial Cities of Strassburg, Konstanz, Memmingen, and Lindau conceded to bide their time, fearing that they would otherwise be consigned the same status as the despised Anabaptists. Likewise, the concept of cuius regio, eius religio which had been agreed upon at Speyer in 1526 was prolonged until the convocation of a general Church council.

When it came to the question of Martin Luther, Charles was loath to rescind the imperial ban meted out at the Diet of Worms in 1521. However, the Edict of Worms had more or less been ignored ever since its promulgation. Consequently, the emperor conceded to issue an Imperial Order on the 6th of November, which effectively suspended all trials based on the issue of religion in the Imperial Cameral Court (Reichskammergericht).[15] As was so often the case at Augsburg, the immediate question of Luther’s legal position was postponed in favour of immediate compromise. Still, the halt to imperial prosecution de facto legitimised the presence of Evangelical churches within the Holy Roman Empire. On the other hand, the new imperial policy of compromise also worked in Charles’ favour. By going against the pope, the emperor underlined his own power by exposing how impotent the Papacy was at dealing with German matters. Indeed, the words of the Papal nuncio at the Diet of Worms, Girolamo Aleander, that “… the Germans have lost all respect and even laugh at excommunication” continued to ring true.[16]

On Martinmas 1527, Charles V could finally affix his seal to the Augsburg Settlement (or Augsburg Decency as it was known to contemporaries).[17] In the words of a later historian, the agreement reached at Augsburg was a perfect compromise “… precisely because no one thought it to be perfect.” Lingering issues remained and the two main confessions continued to regard one another with ill-disguised suspicion, but the prospect of a religious war had, for the time being, abated. The question of Papal supremacy was not touched upon, but the overwhelming anti-Roman sentiment of even the staunchest Catholics made it an almost moot point. In the words of one Church official from Passau, there was a general feeling that “… the grievances and abuses that currently burden the Holy Empire […] stem in large part from the Papal See in Rome.”[18] Indeed, it was almost universally accepted that the corruption of the Italian Papacy had to be cleaned out. Still, cracks were also beginning to form within the Evangelical camp. Many deplored the concessions granted by the Wittenbergers with Switzerland in particular seeing a sharp rise in radicalisation as the Sacramentarian confession (Zwingli’s Fidei Ratio) had been snubbed by the Diet. Luther himself remained pessimistic at the chances of irenicism succeeding in the long-run, but nonetheless congratulated Melanchthon on securing religious liberty for the Evangelicals. He even commended his former pupil’s attempts at proving the Catholicism of the reformatory movement: “I have read Master Philip’s Apologia [the Augsburg Confession] and it pleases me very much. I know of nothing to improve or change in it and that would not be appropriate anyway, for I cannot tread so softly and gently as he.”[19]

As for the emperor, the Articles of Augsburg had most definitely eased his life. In the words of one the Nordic courtiers present at Augsburg: “…His Imperial Majesty has shown so much jocularity and mirth, a sign of extreme happiness, that no one has ever seen a success have such an effect on him.”[20] Following the conclusion of the Diet of Augsburg, Christian II and Prince Hans joined the emperor’s entourage for the Netherlands where Charles V planned to celebrate Christmas. Amongst the invited dignitaries were Queen-Regent Catherine of Aragon and the grumbling Thomas Howard, thus bringing the heads of the Tudor-Habsburg-Oldenburg alliance together for the very first time. We know from the king’s surviving correspondence that Catherine pressed both him and her nephew for support in restoring her daughter to the English throne. At one point, the formidable dowager queen even proposed engaging the diminutive Mary to the crown-prince of the North, a prospect neither Charles nor Christian seemed all too happy to entertain. The emperor weakly interjected the supposed need for Papal dispensation, to which Catherine haughtily declared that “… with the Pope being such a manifest knave, such a consideration should be below her dear nephew’s dignity.” Usually, Christian II would have averted any commitment by referring to the need to consult his councillors. However, his newfound hereditary crown invalidated such a concern and consequently, he had to resort to an even more formidable excuse: He needed to consult his wife.

Although the prospect of a Tudor-Oldenburg marriage alliance was momentarily shelved, earnest discussions were held as to the direction of the coming campaigning season. With Augsburg concluded, Charles V was determined to wrest Milan away from the French and restore his cousin Mary to the English throne. In order to do so, he envisioned a massive tri-pronged offensive from Spain, the Netherlands and Italy. It would be one of the most ambitious military operations in living memory and for it to succeed, he needed to draw on the full might of his Oldenburg relatives. Christian II considered the death of Henry VIII and exile of his family a great injustice and was as such not entirely ill-disposed towards lending his brother-in-law a hand.[21] However, being a seasoned negotiator and skilled political operator, the king also sought to spin developments to the fullest of his advantage. The king promised that Tile Giseler and his squadron of Dano-Frisian privateers would remain in the Channel and assist the Tudor and Netherlandish navies in their harrying of the French and English coasts. As soon as he returned to Copenhagen, fresh levies would be organised and a number of Fähnleins recruited. These would in turn be ferried to the Low Countries aboard the Oldenburg Navy Royal under Søren Norby. However, Christian II pointed out that such an undertaking was an expensive exercise for a country recuperating from the strains of rebellion and war. Funds would have to be raised and, the king lamented, no funds were at hand other than in the “… pockets of those bishops.”

In other words, Christian was presenting his brother-in-law with a fait accompli, based entirely of his tried and tested playbook against his Habsburg relatives. Charles needed Nordic ships, men and munitions for if his Great Enterprise were to succeeded, yet he could not afford the required subsidies. On the face of it, Christian II simply sought the emperor’s tacit acceptance of a Nordic church council, inspired by the Augsburg Settlement. However, there could be no doubt that such a council would take a new broom to the already reduced privileges of the Church, possibly funnelling all the money hitherto flowing to Rome into the royal exchequer.[22] There can be no question that such a prospect would have smacked of Evangelicalism, although its bitter taste was masterfully watered down in irenicist rhetoric. In any case, there was little Charles V could do other than advise his brother-in-law to adhere to the Augsburg compromise and “… treat Our Holy Mother the Church with leniency and conduct a Reformation of good conduct and pious sentiment.” It was an elastic statement which Christian II could mould into what ever meaning he hoped for. As subsequent events would show, it was an exercise the king mastered to perfection.

NTeHGSh.png

Author’s Note: A somewhat shorter chapter this time around. Still, I hope you enjoy it and the slap-stick comedy that was Charles V's (convergent) appearance this ATL Diet of Augsburg.

[1] From an OTL letter to Charles V, dated 27th of April, 1531

[2] In OTL, Charles V was wholeheartedly opposed to the convening of a “national” church council for Germany. ITTL, the stalemate in the Italian Wars, the threat of a Hungarian collapse, better relations between the princes and Ferdinand and the intransigent pro-French attitude of Clement VII all contrive to move Charles to sanctioning and presiding over a council in Augsburg. Gravamina refers to the Centum gravamina teutonicae nationis (The One-hundred Grievances of the German Nation) directed at the Catholic Church’s mismanagement of German ecclesiastical matters, first presented at the Diet of Nuremberg in 1522.

[3] This also happened in OTL when Christian II went into exile in the Netherlands.

[4] An OTL rumour already mentioned in Chapter 8.

[5] As in OTL. Luther, having been declared an outlaw at the Diet of Worms, is unable to attend the proceedings at Augsburg.

[6] The OTL strategy applied at the Diet of Augsburg in 1530.

[7] This, hilariously, also happened at the OTL Diet of Augsburg in 1530.

[8] Another OTL event of the Diet of Augsburg.

[9]
Historians such as Geoffrey Parker and Lyndal Roper have argued that the Diet of Augsburg in 1530 constituted a golden opportunity to restore the unity of the Church. Especially the death of Gattinara immediately preceding the Diet is said to have had detrimental effects on reaching a compromise, since his moderating influence might have moved Charles towards moderation. Given that this ATL Diet occurs three years before the chancellor’s death, he is able to influence Charles’ otherwise determined predisposition towards restoring Catholic supremacy.

[10] As he did in an OTL letter from 1524. The original reads: “… aung altres moys- mesmes.”

[11] In OTL, Saxony was exempted from the vote. Better relations between Ferdinand and the Evangelicals remove this opposition.

[12] Incensed and feeling ignored by the Evangelical delegation, Luther (as in OTL) sulked in his Saxon exile. His only response to Melanchthon was that he was “…furious with the Wittenberg delegation, but otherwise refused to respond.”

[13] From one of Luther’s OTL letters to Melanchthon during the Diet of Augsburg.

[14] These were all points discussed at the Diet of Augsburg where compromise seemed to have been likely. The summary is derived from Lyndal Roper’s Martin Luther: Renegade and Prophet (2017).

[15] This happened in OTL in November 1532 during the Diet of Nuremberg.

[16] OTL quote from February 1521.

[17] The name of OTL’s 1532 Nuremberg Compromise/Religious Peace.

[18] An OTL quote, albeit from the Diet of Worms.

[19] From one of Luther’s OTL letters, 1531.

[20] From an OTL report by the Mantuan ambassador, Sigismondo de la Torre, dated the 11th of January, 1531.

[21] Considering how downright mean and petty Henry VIII was when Christian II appealed to him for help after his OTL deposition, I think this is a rather wholesome historical reversal.

[22] Christian II had already taken several steps towards reforming the Danish Church in 1520. See Chapter 10 for more info.

Last edited:
It’s back! :D And I had just praised this TL in another thread even! And what a chapter! Are we gonna see a reformation that actually is a reformation of the Catholic church, and not a seperation into Protestantism with these progresses?

Looks like Christan is still on his way to centralize his power. As for the Hans, Mary marriage I can see the immediate benefits. A England merged to the Oldenburg triple crown. What would be the downsides?

As always, seeing this update is great, but I did note a little error with the footnotes. Footnote 21 is labeled as 20 (meaning that there are two "20"s) and footnote 22 is labeled as 21.

Looks like Christan is still on his way to centralize his power. As for the Hans, Mary marriage I can see the immediate benefits. A England merged to the Oldenburg triple crown. What would be the downsides?
It might look like a shining marriage on the surface, but there are some hurdles:

1. Mary’s fertility. Now OTL she did have problems, but since she wouldn’t marry in her late 30s, those might not be there. However, her parents had problems keeping children alive, so Mary might be thought to have the same issues

2. The fact that she is seen as the rightful ruler of England might in itself be a problem, as it ruins any diplomatic relations with the new de la Pole regime, at the expense of only the potential of a Danish England, which itself would be a very costly war affair, which would not be guaranteed to succeed. Besides, who is to say that the English would want to be a part of this new North Sea Empire

3. In connection with nr. 2, Christian can’t really afford this military adventure, since he’s already had to crush Swedish and Holsteiner/Noble resistance, which could erupt again in the future (although, they seem beaten right now). Beyond this, there’s also the Russian frenemy who could decide to go for Finland if Christian is busy in England, so he’d have to get that in order before it would be wise to go west.

All in all, while England might look like a shining price, it would be a costly and dangerous affair, which Christian likely would not be able to afford at the moment. It might be better for Mary to go to Scotland and marry James V, who’d have an easier time making border troubles in the north of England using their claims as pretext

Are there any major Tudor loyalists left in England. The new king probably purged most and others went turncoat after Henry got the royal army killed along with himself.

Also would Mary have much support along the commoners, I mean she is just a child and her father wasn't the best king to be honest. Not sure if the English peasantry be happy for another conflict for some exiled princess.

Glad as always to see this updated -- the anecdote about Charles' broken German was hilarious.

I can see the religious situation going a number of ways. It could easily cleave close to OTL, given the differences between the reformers and the Catholics, even though all of them are at the moment united in their distaste for the Papacy and in their satisfaction with the Augsburg settlement. As seen time and again, today's acceptable compromise is often tomorrow's insufficient state of affairs...

I could also see Clement, perhaps at Francis' behest, reacting poorly, seeing the convening of a German church council as a prequel to a more permanent break with Rome (especially if the promised general church council isn't convened). If geopolitics leads Charles away from Rome, that immediately begs the question of Iberia. I can't ever see the Spaniards or the Portuguese accepting the Reformation, and given that Philip II either got butterflied or is a mere infant, its not as if there is an arch-reactionary Catholic Habsburg ready to assume that throne. Unless we have a retro-style anti-Papacy, I don't see their acceptance of church reforms as likely.

And, of course, there is still lingering bitterness over the Comuneros. If the Yorkist usurpation didn't abrogate the 1373 Treaty of Windsor, it'd be wise of the French (possibly through the English) to court the Portuguese and encourage them to perhaps intervene in Spain (if Spain breaks with Charles over religion). A loss of Spain would utterly screw the Habsburg finances, but Christian II would be very well placed to intervene if German affairs soured....

Especially given his own church council, easily extorted from his dear brother-in-law. This could very well be the start of a wedge being driven between the two, given Christian's more Evangelical leanings vis-a-vis Charles' Catholicism; then again, if the two realms reach similar settlements, it could also help solidify a schism between the French, pro-Papacy bloc and the anti-Papacy, possibly overtly Protestant bloc. We'd have Babylonian Captivity 2: It's Coming Rome! and then the massive Imperial-Scandy bloc. Iberia would be an open question, as would Hungary -- how does Louis II balance his Habsburg wife and rearing against the hinted French alignment of his Jagiellonian relatives in Poland while fighting Zapolya and fearing the second coming of Suleiman?

If Hans x Mary isn't in the cards, I think an Habsburg marriage seems likely. If Christian looks farther afield, I think a Russian match makes a lot of sense. You've hinted Poland's orientation with the French bloc and some level of payoff to Bona Sforza, and the Swedes seem to look to them every time they want to get rid of the House of Oldenburg. Moscow, OTOH, already has positive relations with the Danes, and has a number of geopolitical reasons to seek an alignment with the Habsburgs -- the Poles and the Turk. Another option could be the Portuguese, which could help the Danes break into Asia the way the Dutch did (first the navigators serve the Portuguese and learn all the sea routes, then the Danes cannibalize Portugal's possessions in a time of Portuguese weakness).

Very good update. I found this story about a week ago and I am in bingeing it the whole time and then I find does it has been updated and the update was good. What I hope for the next chapters is that they are focused on Scandinavia and the new world, but first you must likely need to get it done with this war. Good luck with the story. Also I must ask what is the population of Norway Sweden and Denmark at the time of this story just asking. From the north

Nice update.

Thank you :) I might return to shorter updates in order to speed the pace up a bit.

It’s back! :D And I had just praised this TL in another thread even! And what a chapter! Are we gonna see a reformation that actually is a reformation of the Catholic church, and not a seperation into Protestantism with these progresses?

As it stands now, it does seem as if the original Protestant goal of reforming the Church instead of splitting it might actually succeed - in Germany at least.

What a great chapter!! I'm so glad to see that this TL has returned.

Thank you :)

Well, it would be an extremely loose union for one. As matters stand currently, it is difficult to manage even the three-state union, even with the establishment of the stadtholder system. If Hans were to wed Mary, it would naturally draw his attention away from crucial Nordic matters.

As always, seeing this update is great, but I did note a little error with the footnotes. Footnote 21 is labeled as 20 (meaning that there are two "20"s) and footnote 22 is labeled as 21.

Thank you for the kind words and the correction! It's been fixed :)

1. Mary’s fertility. Now OTL she did have problems, but since she wouldn’t marry in her late 30s, those might not be there. However, her parents had problems keeping children alive, so Mary might be thought to have the same issues

To be fair, that would be something of a hindsight issue. There's no way for Christian/Elisabeth to know how Mary turned out in OTL.

2. The fact that she is seen as the rightful ruler of England might in itself be a problem, as it ruins any diplomatic relations with the new de la Pole regime, at the expense of only the potential of a Danish England, which itself would be a very costly war affair, which would not be guaranteed to succeed. Besides, who is to say that the English would want to be a part of this new North Sea Empire

Richard de la Pole is widely regarded (except by the French) as an usurpator and his hold on the English throne is marginal at best. Internationally speaking, most governments regard Catherine's regency as the legal representative of the English crown. However, it all depends on whether or not Richard lives long enough to stabilise his reign and swat down the multitude of petty schemes and treasons already bubbling against him.

3. In connection with nr. 2, Christian can’t really afford this military adventure, since he’s already had to crush Swedish and Holsteiner/Noble resistance, which could erupt again in the future (although, they seem beaten right now). Beyond this, there’s also the Russian frenemy who could decide to go for Finland if Christian is busy in England, so he’d have to get that in order before it would be wise to go west.

That is true. The economy is picking up once again, but the strains put on the royal coffers during the conquest of Sweden, the Ducal Feud and the Vasa Rebellion will take some time to heal. Then again, Christian IV almost bankrupted the realm during the Kalmar War, but had more or less restored the economy some five-ten years later.

Are there any major Tudor loyalists left in England. The new king probably purged most and others went turncoat after Henry got the royal army killed along with himself.

Also would Mary have much support along the commoners, I mean she is just a child and her father wasn't the best king to be honest. Not sure if the English peasantry be happy for another conflict for some exiled princess.

There are a great many, I should think. The great northern houses might have come over to the White Rose's cause, but their support is wavering and forced. The exorbitant taxes levied by Richard IV and the preference given his Welsh and Irish auxiliaries have sobered large parts of the English populace. In that regard the notion of the innocent "Queen Over the Water" might tickle the fancy of many who are dissatisfied with de la Pole's regime. I have half a mind to make Thomas Cromwell a leading Tudor agent in London, organising a clandestine resistance, but I haven't been able to determine whether or not he was in Wolsey's employ at this point and, indeed, whether or not he might have joined his master in Calais if that was the case.

This is always a pleasure to catch up on.

And it is always a pleasure to have you drop by!

Glad as always to see this updated -- the anecdote about Charles' broken German was hilarious.

I literally snorted with laughter when I first read about it.

I could also see Clement, perhaps at Francis' behest, reacting poorly, seeing the convening of a German church council as a prequel to a more permanent break with Rome (especially if the promised general church council isn't convened). If geopolitics leads Charles away from Rome, that immediately begs the question of Iberia. I can't ever see the Spaniards or the Portuguese accepting the Reformation, and given that Philip II either got butterflied or is a mere infant, its not as if there is an arch-reactionary Catholic Habsburg ready to assume that throne. Unless we have a retro-style anti-Papacy, I don't see their acceptance of church reforms as likely.

I won't lie, I think the Iberian situation is a bit of a conundrum. On one hand Spain was such a bastion of Catholicism in OTL, but on the other, the Reformation hasn't split the Church yet. If the irenicism of Augsburg can mature and actually reach some kind of compromise at a general council (which would have to be held after the Pope has been brought low), then it might not be considered a doctrinal problem. Furthermore, there's the de Valdés twins with Alfonso de Valdés being a humanist who led negotiations with Melanchthon and Juan who actually became a Protestant.

Especially given his own church council, easily extorted from his dear brother-in-law. This could very well be the start of a wedge being driven between the two, given Christian's more Evangelical leanings vis-a-vis Charles' Catholicism; then again, if the two realms reach similar settlements, it could also help solidify a schism between the French, pro-Papacy bloc and the anti-Papacy, possibly overtly Protestant bloc. We'd have Babylonian Captivity 2: It's Coming Rome! and then the massive Imperial-Scandy bloc. Iberia would be an open question, as would Hungary -- how does Louis II balance his Habsburg wife and rearing against the hinted French alignment of his Jagiellonian relatives in Poland while fighting Zapolya and fearing the second coming of Suleiman?

In regards to Hungary, I've already alluded to the tolerant nature of Queen Mary, who supposedly had a not inconsequential number of pro-Evangelicals at her court.

If Hans x Mary isn't in the cards, I think an Habsburg marriage seems likely. If Christian looks farther afield, I think a Russian match makes a lot of sense. You've hinted Poland's orientation with the French bloc and some level of payoff to Bona Sforza, and the Swedes seem to look to them every time they want to get rid of the House of Oldenburg. Moscow, OTOH, already has positive relations with the Danes, and has a number of geopolitical reasons to seek an alignment with the Habsburgs -- the Poles and the Turk. Another option could be the Portuguese, which could help the Danes break into Asia the way the Dutch did (first the navigators serve the Portuguese and learn all the sea routes, then the Danes cannibalize Portugal's possessions in a time of Portuguese weakness).

I don't think I'll spoil anything when I say that the Franco-Polish alliance was dead in the cradle. There's no way Sigismund is going to embark on a Milanese adventure when Vasily III's Muscovy is bursting at the seams with newfound power. Rather, it should probably be seen as an attempt to cover his flank by signalling that any imperial intervention (as unlikely as that might be) on behalf of the Russians would drive Poland-Lithuania into the French orbit.

Very good update. I found this story about a week ago and I am in bingeing it the whole time and then I find does it has been updated and the update was good. What I hope for the next chapters is that they are focused on Scandinavia and the new world, but first you must likely need to get it done with this war. Good luck with the story. Also I must ask what is the population of Norway Sweden and Denmark at the time of this story just asking. From the north

I'm glad you enjoyed it! We'll get back to Scandinavia in the next few updates.

IIRC, the population around 1520 for the three realms were:

Denmark: 600.000
Sweden: 500.000 (with Finland)
Norway: 300.000

Excellent update. Again, your maps leave me in awe.

Your timeline got me interested in an area of history I knew very little about. What a very interesting figure Christian II really was.

Please, please, have the Hans-Mary marriage come to fruition. I want to see her happy for once, and I think it’d be very interesting (especially in the development of England, I could see it accelerating the trend to a more powerful Parliament with a more absent monarch).

Chapter 30: Via Media

Chapter 30
Via Media

This illness is not yet so advanced that it cannot be healed. This fire is not yet so fierce that it cannot be extinguished.

When was the World ever better than in the days of Constantine and Sylvester […] and here in Denmark when Sweyn Estridsen and Bishop William of Roskilde acted as one.

- Poul Helgesen, 1528[1]

When Christian II returned from Augsburg in early 1528, the prospect of Church reform was as prevalent in Denmark as in the rest of Europe. Throughout the continent, dissatisfaction with the corruption of the curia, the secular vices and greed of the episcopacy and, indeed, the very nature of the ‘dead hand of the Church’ were eagerly and consummately debated. While the king had already begun his reformation with the Great Ecclesiastical Recess of August 1520 a general dissatisfaction remained within as well as outside of the confines of the Danish church province, especially in the wake of the Ducal Feud.

Towering above all other participants in the great question of reform was the Carmelite friar Poul Helgesen.[2] A commoner of low-birth, Helgesen had proved his worth as the dean of the Carmelite college in Copenhagen from whose pulpit he had acted as the king’s chief ecclesiastical advisor during the promulgation of the 1520-recess. Known to posterity by the well-deserved epithet of “The Erasmus of the North”, Helgesen spared neither Papist nor Evangelical in his quest for the Via Media. With one hand he chastised the Pope as a tyrant, whose peddlers of indulgences bled the poor of Christendom dry whilst the other ridiculed Luther as a pedantic schismatic. However, he also showed considerable intellectual integrity in praising Luther when Luther was right. Indeed, he abhorred the corruption which so visibly plagued the Church: “… nothing has contributed more to the fall of the Church than the vanity and pride of certain noblemen, men who are such slaves of life’s pleasures and licentiousness that they not only extinguish the innocence and the piety of the Christian religion, but completely despise them. What is sustained by power, violence, ostentation, pride, splendour, ambition, and human strength cannot long endure.”[3] Yet at the same time, Helgesen was not prepared to split the Church as some of the most radical reformers in Germany whished. Abuse might have been prevalent, but to Helgesen the fact that abuse occurred was not sufficient reason for the abolition of the office. Indeed, as he pointedly remarked at one point, if one wanted to do away with pope and bishop on account of sinfulness and corruption, then why not do away with prince and nobleman as well?

Whilst the Evangelical movement had spread like a wildfire through Germany, the North had so far remained relatively unscorched.[4] Only in Viborg, where the exiled bishop Jørgen Friis had been a prominent member of the Lords Declarent, and in Malmø, where the burghers were especially powerful, had Evangelical preachers begun to operate. Chief amongst them was a lapsed Johannite monk named Hans Tausen. Still, one should be careful not to tar Tausen with too heavy a Lutheran brush. Although he went a good deal further than his Carmelite rival when it came to critiquing the Church, Tausen’s role model was not Luther, but rather Erasmus.[5] This was a marked Achilles Heel of the nascent Evangelical movement in Denmark. Theological unity was a rare beast amongst the scattered Evangelicals: Preachers in the Duchies said one thing, on Funen another and in the Sound Provinces a third. Conversely, the ‘Catholic camp’ was merely divided between a conservative minority and a Humanist-Reformist majority.[6]

N1I8aVc.jpg

Christian II, by the Grace of God King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway wood-cut portrait by Lucas Chranach the Elder, 1523. The king is depicted as a powerful prince, wearing his collar as a Knight of the Golden Fleece and seated beneath the coats of arms of his many domains. The illustration is taken from a propaganda leaflet immediately following the Ducal Feud. The “original sin” of the rebellious bishops would haunt the Catholic Church in Denmark for the following decade.

As for Christian II, his own Church policy was as mercurial as it was Machiavellian. His ambitious legal and ecclesiastical reforms might have been penned in Erasmian ink, but his realpolitikal treatment of the Church had been ruthlessly unforgiving. Indeed, it should not be forgotten that Christian II ascended the throne with a threat of excommunication hanging over his head.[7] Ten years later he repeated the manoeuvre by imprisoning the Bishop of Odense, Jens Andersen Beldenak, for daring to raise the council-constitutionalist banner at the Hereditary Estates at Viborg. However, Beldenak’s arrest was quickly abrogated as the bishop abandoned his doomed alliance with the traditionalist high-aristocracy in favour of aligning with the crown. With the Bishop of Odense in his pocket, Christian II had created a formidable front within the upper echelons of the Danish Church Province. Beldenak might have been a brutish, low-born shoemaker’s son, who once, when pressured to resign by his noble enemies, swore: “…on the holy diaper that he would rather die as a powerful bishop in the service of the devil[8], but he was an exceedingly skilled theologian and a master of canon law. Together with Ove Bille of Aarhus, Anders Christensen of Børglum[9] and the Archbishop of Lund, Christiern Pedersen, the king had stacked the ecclesiastical elite with card-carrying and theologically skilled reformists.[10] Others, such as Niels Friis of Viborg, owed their position to royal patronage and could therefore not be expected to counter the crown’s wishes, especially not when it had the secular nobility and the commoners at its side.[11]

Christian II’s careful promotion of commoners and known Bible-Humanists to important bishoprics has often been portrayed as a deliberate move in a delicate campaign towards the political emasculation of the Catholic Church in Denmark and (eventually) the entirety of the North. However, one must also remember that the king was a deeply devout person. While it is clear that the king wielded the question of reform as a powerful tool towards advancing the paramountcy of the crown it is equally undeniable that Christian fully believed in the fundamental need of taking a new broom to the dusty hierarchy of the Church. Similarly, he had conquered Sweden under a Papal pennant to avenge the murder of Gustaf Trolle in 1519. In other words, he perceived reform in a consummate Humanist way. The need of ecclesiastical reform naturally dictated a reform of society. In this regard, one cannot overstate the importance of having allies placed at important positions within the established Church hierarchy.

These considerations aside it is equally difficult not to see the obvious advantages reform would render the crown. In Denmark, the Church owned roughly 35% of the tillable land and even after the judicial aftermath of the Ducal Feud, a number of fiefs, hundreds and manors were pawned off to various prelates. Furthermore, a very substantial sum of money continued to flow out of the country and into Roman coffers. In Norway, the Church constituted the only opposition to the crown, albeit a loyal one. Still, the Norwegian Church used its economic and organisational clout to dominate trade in direct contradiction with royal policies. In the king’s own fisheries, clergymen competed with burghers, but did not pay any taxes. Churchmen shamelessly exploited their tenants, adding these considerable gains to their already untaxed income. In the words of one of Christian II’s Norwegian commissioners: “… Priests in the northern lands carry on so great a trade in purchase and transport that they have most of what Your Grace’s subjects should be taxed for. They have great ships, on which the bishops’ and church’s tenants must sail whether they will or no, and others besides whom they force to do so. Some priests have ten men, others twenty, others fifteen, others more, in Your Grace’s fisheries, from which Your Grace never receives any part or a good word. If Your Grace’s bailiffs protest, they receive blows instead of money, which seems to me unjust.[12]

In other words, the Church remained the last institution with a modicum of ability to bridle the nascent New Monarchy of the North. Weak as the ‘Martian Heresy’ (as Poul Helgesen termed the Evangelical movement) might have been in Denmark at the time of the Augsburg Decency, there is ample evidence that the king knew and endorsed some of Luther’s ideas. He had been impressed at Melanchthon’s performance at the diet; a theological show of force which convinced him to go a good deal further than what the traditional Catholic elite might have envisioned.[13]

Consequently, the king summoned a general synod of the Danish Church in Copenhagen on the 23rd of May 1528. The choice of stage was an interesting one. Christian II hereby not only bypassed the archiepiscopal see of Lund, but also the Roskilde Rota (as the supreme ecclesiastical court had become known) and summoned the prelates to the Carmelite-dominated university instead. The future of the Danish Catholic Church hung in the balance.

NWslsha.jpg

The Hierarchy of the Church. Mural from the parish church of Brøns in southern Jutland by an unknown artist, c. 1530. The pope, surrounded by flat-capped cardinals and mitre-wearing bishops, holds up a sealed letter. It is in turn rejected by two fools (wearing animal ears). On the right, one of the fools hands the pope a pair of glasses, indicating that he might not be reading the Holy Text all too clearly. By the late 1520s, the call for Church-reform had become so persistent that even lowly Danish parish churches ridiculed the corruption and malpractice of the Roman curia.

Much have been said about the 1528-Synod and its effect on the subsequent development of the Nordic Union. Many writers have especially wondered why Christian II decided to proceed in such a piecemeal fashion. Some have even gone so far as to ponder whether or not this was the moment that finally sealed the process of integration between the three realms. As counter-intuitive as it might appear to modern eyes, the king’s decision to approach the question of reform at a checked pace instead of in one swift stroke might actually have furthered the submission of the clergy in all three kingdoms. Indeed, if Christian had convened representatives from Norway and Sweden as well, it is quite possible that the consensus reached at Copenhagen would have been insufficient to bridge the divide between Evangelical minority and Humanist majority on account of the relative strength of the combined Church power. Instead, the king separated his three domains, deftly outmanoeuvring what otherwise might have been a formidable traditionalist opposition. In the words of Christiern Pedersen, Christian II supposedly acknowledged this by quipping “… that he hoped as Denmark goes, so goes the Union.”[14]

As the prelates and select secular officials convened on the university of Copenhagen, a great uproar erupted when Hans Tausen and other Evangelical preachers appeared as well. Poul Helgesen in particular was deeply disconcerted, urging the guardsmen to arrest “… the banner-bearer of all Lutherans here in Denmark, who has come to Copenhagen from Viborg so that his pestilential preaching might lead this city astray as well.”[15] Yet the provost simply informed the stunned audience that Evangelical party had been issued with royal letters of passage (værnebreve), which essentially elevated them to the position as royal chaplains and, in effect, outside the jurisdiction of the Church![16] When the king himself arrived he meekly commented that “… between brother and brother, man and wife, there can be no true and lasting friendship without a will to compromise and to look past the other’s mistakes. Likewise, it is impossible for the unity of the Christian Church to persevere if one and all are blind and unable to see the virtues and good conduct of the others.”[17]

From a political point of view, the consecration of the Evangelical potentates as royal chaplains was a master stroke on Christian II’s part. By elevating Tausen to an equal participant in the synod, the king effectively signalled that if the Catholics wouldn’t accommodate his Humanist agenda, then he could very well consider a different, Evangelical approach.

Grumbling, Helgesen conceded the point, but his hitherto staunch admiration of the king had suffered irreparable damage. In the following days the Synod broke into several commissions, each tasked with clarifying distinct questions of reform. Despite its rocky start, the assembled clergy soon made considerable headway. Regarding the considerable wealth of the Church, Helgesen and Tausen found common ground with Archbishop Pedersen in stating that: “… ever since kin and rich friends began to inherit the Church’s stewards and prelates, to the great detriment of the poor (who are the true inheritors of the Church), Christendom has been plagued by heresy, strife, mutiny, disobedience and rebellion, which now attack all Christendom’s holiness and common weal. This happens with God’s righteous permission, not in order for the Church to be plundered and robbed, but because wealth should be used piously as in the olden days.”[18] In other words, the Synod concluded that the wealth of the Church was not meant for the upkeep of prelates and abbots, but ought to be shared amongst the poor and help people in need. In practical terms this essentially gave the crown license to put the episcopacy under state control and convert ecclesiastical property to public property. Basing his consideration on St. Paul’s First Epistle to Timothy, the archbishop recommended that the houses and other properties owned (but not used) by the Church were to be handed over to their current users and clergymen were prohibited from acquiring new properties unless they married. Neither was the Church allowed to receive land through inheritance - only monetary gifts were allowed.[19]

While Church properties were thus set to be repurposed by the crown, the core lands and properties of the monasteries were not to be touched. Further limitations were placed on the most hated monastic orders (such as the Franciscans), but otherwise monasteries were permitted to operate. However, the ban on ecclesiastical property-ownership in the cities meant that many of the smaller houses either soon collapsed or combined into larger units.[20] Conversely, many of the Evangelical representatives argued wholeheartedly for the abolition of the tithe, a rallying cry that had brought many commoners over to the new confession. The loss of the tithe, however, was a bridge too far, even for the most moderate Erasmians. Yet the tithe had become a rallying point for the urban Evangelical movement with discontent slowly seeping into the rural communities instead. Unfortunately for both partisans of Helgesen and Tausen, the king had his eyes set on the ecclesiastical taxes. This offended and surprised so many participants (across the confessional aisle) that one observer supposedly quipped that Christian II “… would have burned his cap if it knew his thoughts.”[21] Bringing all of his personal influence to bear, the king proposed that the bishop’s tithe be transferred to the royal exchequer and from there dispersed to the dioceses. This satisfied neither the most conservative bishops, nor the most radical Evangelicals, but as one later scholar once wrote: “… sometimes the via media crosses many toes.”

Still, the royal reformers wanted to go further than merely establishing economic supremacy over the Church. Reform, as Hans Mikkelsen so briskly stated, had to be institutional as well. The 1520-reces had removed the ability of the Danish clergy to appeal to Rome in favour of the Roskilde Rota, but the question of episcopal investiture still remained within the purview of St. Peter. Poul Helgesen, Hans Tausen and Christiern Pedersen all agreed that it was a monstrous thing for bishops to “… purchase the pallium”, but the promotion of the crown to the position as supreme bestower of ecclesiastical titles left a bitter taste in many mouths. Eventually, however, the opposition collapsed. As compensation, Christian II promised that the dioceses were to maintain their electoral rights and that the archbishop and foremost prelates be assured seats on the royal council.[22] These were easy promises to make: The electoral liberty of the Church was effectively countered by the institutional and economic barrel over which the crown had heaved it. In the words of a later historian “… the royal retreat begun with the deposal of Eric of Pomerania in 1439 had finally come to a halt ninety years later.”

detjj6f-93305e7c-ff3d-45b1-8434-b6701bbe1c68.png

Map of the Ecclesiastical Dispositions of the Danish Realm at the Ascension of Christian II. Although in no way as widespread as in Western Europe, the monastic houses of late medieval Denmark towered over those of the other Nordic realms. Some orders, such as the Carmelites and Benedictines were at the forefront of reforming the Church while others, such as the Franciscans, were widely despised by commoners and burghers. Besides serving a spiritual purpose, many houses also acted as powerful economic centres in the countryside with some abbots owning properties and land rivalling even great noblemen.

When Lage Urne of Roskilde voiced his opposition to what he rightly interpreted as de-facto institution of a royal Jus patronatus (the right to appoint bishops without papal interference), the king briskly replied by reminding him that in the recent civil war “… what little fidelity certain bishops showed the realm could be carried away on a fly’s arse[23] and “… when the bishops have been anointed, they suddenly owe us no more obedience but prefer the pope in Rome![24] When a noble deacon by the name of Joachim Rønnow[25] weakly interjected that in such a case, it would be proper for the episcopacy to be reserved for the ‘good men’ of the realm, Jens Andersen Beldenak acidly asked him “… if the Bible taught that Adam only begot noble sons or if a shoemaker had a different way of procreating.”[26] As the latter quote by the Bishop of Odense goes to show, the Danish reformation made for some queer bedfellows. Although a consummate Catholic, Beldenak would have agreed wholeheartedly with the Sacramentarian citizens of Malmø when it came to denying noble primacy of the mitre.

Although the political effects of the Copenhagen Synod were enormous, the conclave also resulted in a new and highly unusual codification of what constituted “… good Christendom” within the Kingdom of Denmark. Prayers for the dead and good deeds were acknowledged as virtuous, but at the same time believers were encouraged to spend their money on charity for the living instead. Likewise, the commissions concluded that the misuse of religious imagery, relics and icons was a disgusting practice which harmed the unity of the Church. Strict penalties were imposed, but the practice remained sanctioned. Provisions were also made for the flowering mural tradition of Denmark’s churches to be supported by Church authorities, although the imagery was explicitly required to only depict scenes from the Bible.[27]

Confession was limited to “… the most murderous and mortal of sins” whilst smaller transgressions were to be addressed directly to God in private. Feast days were restricted to only those directly described in the Bible. Feast of the Immaculate Conception, the Birth of Mary and those of the individual apostles were all abolished. A large number of secular feast days had over the years entered the religious calendar. These were also abrogated as they were “… verily created as carnal occasions consecrated to eating and drinking.” Conversely, fasting was declared a godly pursuit which held several advantages for one’s health and longevity, but was not necessary for salvation. Those who observed fasting were furthermore prohibited from admonishing those who didn’t and vice versa.

Regarding the Eucharist, Helgesen personally saw no need to administer the sacrament to the laity, but conceded that it could be done should the congregation wish it. He made a rather feeble argument based on a story he had heard from a priest on southern Zealand. When asked to serve wine for the laity as well, the priest had perplexedly asked “… where in the name of devil am I to find that much wine?[28] As for the presence of the Lord within the Eucharist, the commission simply commented that as long as everyone agreed the Christ was present in one form or another (be it corporally or symbolically) everything would be fine and the matter best left to learned theologians at a general Church Council.[29] Finally, Christiern Pedersen requested the University of Copenhagen with translating the Bible into vernacular Danish. For, as the archbishop himself had once written: “… if the apostle had written the holy gospel for the realm of Denmark, he would have done so in proper Danish, so all would have understood it. Every man should know it in his own tongue, for none can be hallowed without it and the holy faith."[30]

As Christian II affixed his seal to his Church’s new constitution, there can be little doubt that the king felt vindicated. However, although he might have broken the last institution capable of opposing him within Denmark, the costs were far from clear. Neither did the “Copenhagen Concord” spell an end for confessional bickering within the realm. The Evangelicals had been granted license to continue their activities, as long as they did not preach against the ordinance and in the Duchies, Luther’s partisans were growing stronger and stronger. Even within court, the Synod had drawn the lines sharper than ever before. Hans Mikkelsen and Mogens Gøye now publicly chose to receive the Eucharist in the Evangelical fashion, whilst Poul Helgesen, Ove Bille and Otte Krumpen declared that according to them, the road of irenicism had come to an end. Still, despite its many flaws and subsequent reputation, the Copenhagen Ordinance of 1528 remains one of the most remarkable and progressive declarations of toleration and religious liberty in the Early Modern Period.

NTeHGSh.png

Footnotes:

[1]
Both of these are OTL quote from 1533.

[2] Poul Helgesen (or Poul Helie) was a masterful theologian and earnest Erasmian reformer. In OTL, he was a confidante of Christian II until the two broke over Luther and the king’s very harsh treatment of the Church in Denmark and Norway. He fled Copenhagen just weeks before the Jutlandic rebellion and later became the greatest champion of Catholicism in the subsequent years. ITTL, Helgesen has maintained his good rapport with the king owing to the absence of Sigbrit’s Party and the promotion of (fellow humanist) Christiern Pedersen to the archiepiscopacy of Lund.

[3] An OTL quote from Helgesen’s Skibykrønike (the Skiby Chronicle). By noblemen, Helgesen means those men of quality who might have donned the mitre, but in effect saw the Church as a vehicle for secular aggrandisement. Poul Helgesen was consumed with a quasi-democratic conceptualisation of the Church as meritocratic, almost democratic institution. Indeed, this might very well be what brought him and Christian II together in OTL. The Chronicle is an immensely interesting historical document. In it, Helgesen detailed events from Christian I to the Count’s Feud and peppered his prose with stringent critiques of the Lutheran ‘poison’ that was creeping up the Jutland peninsula. It was only discovered in the 17th century, bricked up in a secret compartment within the Skiby Church. Its last entry ended abruptly in the middle of a sentence, dated 1535, during the height of the civil war. What became of Poul Helgesen, nobody knows.

[4] It is difficult to overstate how powerfully the butterflies are flying at this point. The development of the Danish Lutheran Reformation was more or less shaped by the deposal of Christian II OTL. The decade of civil war, peasant rebellions and noble hegemony, which followed Frederick I’s ascension radicalised society to such a degree that the Evangelical movement became almost unstoppable.

[5]
Recent theological studies have gone a long way in re-evaluating the dogmatic and ideological background of Tausen, commonly known as “The Danish Luther” in more traditional historiography. Conversely, the Evangelical reformers mentioned in Malmø were far more influenced by the radical thoughts espoused in the cities of south-western Germany.

[6] During the 1550s an inventory was taken of the clerical libraries in the distant parishes of Northern Jutland. We therefore know (some 15 years after the Reformation) that the works of Erasmus were third-most common after Luther and Melanchthon. It’s thus somewhat safe to say that Danish scholars were disseminating Erasmian ideas throughout the realm. ITTL, this development is even more widespread thanks to the success of Christian II’s Humanist governance.

[7] Owing to his harsh treatment of the Bishop Hamar whilst serving as viceroy of Norway.

[8] An actual quote attributed to Jens Andersen Beldenak from 1525. The referenced “holy diaper” is a rather impious reference to the Holy Shroud of Turin.

[9] Anders Christensen was the Provincial (Leader) of the Carmelites in Denmark. In OTL he was an active participant in the humanist/reform-catholic milieu of Copenhagen, although he was also accused by Poul Helgesen for veering too closely to Luther. ITTL he has been made Bishop of Børglum following the Ducal Feud.

[10] This is extremely important. One of the reasons the Evangelical movement overran Denmark so quickly in OTL was the fact that very few of the bishops were actually educated in theology(!).

[11] Niels Friis was the half-brother of the exiled Bishop of Viborg and Lord Declarent Jørgen Friis. In OTL he had lobbied Christian II for the position, promising the island of Mors in exchange. ITTL, the island was confiscated after the Ducal Feud, but Friis ascended to the office regardless.

[12] From an OTL letter by Jørgen Hansen dated 1521.

[13] In OTL, Christian II converted to the Evangelical cause after having heard a sermon by Luther. Similarly, his cousin (the later Christian III) embraced Lutheranism after witnessing the Diet of Worms. ITTL, Christian II’s OTL Humanist-Catholic reformation goes ahead, but it would be a bit out-of-character of him if he left Augsburg without at least a little Evangelical influence following him home.

[14] Denmark is not Ohio, but the saying fits nicely regardless.

[15] OTL quote from the Skiby Chronicle.

[16] This was also Frederick I’s policy in OTL.

[17] This is an actual OTL quote from Poul Helgesen’s so-called “Letter of Compromise” drafted sometime between 1532 and 1534. The attempt at conciliation was, at that point in time, too little and too late to halt the onrushing tide of Lutheranism, but it does show that Helgesen was willing to compromise.

[18] Ibid.

[19] This is a word-by-word reiteration of Christian II’s OTL Ecclesiastical Law from 1522.

[20] Contrary to popular belief there was no immediate dissolution of the monasteries in Denmark after the OTL reformation. Some monks and nuns were forcibly ejected from their convents, but the vast majority were left to their own accords. As late as 1560 there were still Catholic monasteries in Denmark. The bit about the Franciscans is actually also true of OTL. Beggar monks were universally hated by large tracts of society.

[21] An OTL quote of Christian II’s stance on the Reformation. In OTL the same discussion was held in 1536 with very much the same results. However, ITTL the nobility is not exempted from the tithe as it was in OTL.

[22] This was actually implemented in 1527 under Christian II’s successor, Frederick. The royal council ITTL is the successor to the council of the realm.

[23] A slightly rephrased OTL quote (‘those bishops’ is my addition) from the 1536 Church Ordinance of Christian III.

[24] OTL quote by Gustav Vasa c. 1527.

[25] The last Catholic Bishop of Roskilde in OTL.

[26] Another of Beldenak’s OTL irreverent burns.

[27] The veneration of saints as ‘friends of and arbiters with God’ was to contemporaries a natural way to intercede in a society where they could only appeal to the king through noblemen and prelates. As the crown is far stronger ITTL, it is less of an issue to Helgesen and other Humanist reformers.

[28] Poul Helgesen actually argued this in OTL.

[29] All of these points are taken from Helgesen’s aforementioned Letter of Compromise.

[30] OTL quote from 1517.

Last edited:
Possibly it's just the choice of wording, but whereas Anglicanism is sometimes described as "Catholicism without the Pope" this rather feels like "Anglicanism with the Pope," in a sense. Quite a few reforms, but of a more moderate sort and without breaking away from the Pope to establish a Church of Denmark.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why Franciscans (and other "beggar monks") were "universally hated"?