TL: "We Will Build a Modernized Society", America's 42nd President

[Excerpt from "Disaster; the 1992 Democratic Campaign"]

Blair watched in 1992, as Cuomo cruised through the primaries. Blair continued to be distrissed by the ease at which Cuomo earned delegates. Iowa caucuses? 80% New Hampshire? 77%. However, he had his own distractions. The now senior Senator from Ohio was focused on his own reelection. Despite the battleground status of the state, the Republican party was unable to draft any viable candidates to challenge Blair. In a similar parallel to Blair's opening to Voinovich in 1986, the Republicans could not find a viable challenger to Blair. Without any traditional candidates, only the inherited owner of the Cincinnati Bengals, Mike Brown, choose to run against Blair. Despite the team's on the field success, upsetting the Cowboys in Super Bowl 27, Blair was ahead by as much as 35 percent going into the summer.

Cuomo briefly considered choosing Blair as his running mate, however, the questionable long term status of the Ohio governorship meant the possible loss of a Senate seat. Bush, dealing with a sagging economy was beatable, but still had a sterling foreign policy record. Despite the suggestion from aids that the top of the ticket gains the vote, Cuomo became fixated on the idea that a running mate with strong foreign policy credentials was need. Senator Bob Kerrey (D-NE), a self made millionaire many times over and Congressional Medal of Honor recipient was the clear choice for running mate. Cuomo's aides poured into all available public data on Kerrey's service. Having lost a limb in Vietnam, the sometimes mercurial Senator seemed to be an obvious choice.

On July 17, 1992, at Memorial Park in Omaha, Nebraska Cuomo named Bob Kerrey his running mate. It would take months for the implication of this decision to take hold. In Washington, GOP researchers began to dig into the war hero's past.

Last edited:
Kerrey was put in an impossible spot and a shitty war. I don't hold that raid against him, but I don't think a lot of Americans hold the same view as myself.

On that note however, I somehow doubt the GOP would bring up the Thanh Phong Raid in 1992. Newt hadn't turn the political acts into a bloodsport yet.

Kerrey was put in an impossible spot and a shitty war. I don't hold that raid against him, but I don't think a lot of Americans hold the same view as myself.

On that note however, I somehow doubt the GOP would bring up the Thanh Phong Raid in 1992. Newt hadn't turn the political acts into a bloodsport yet.

Bob Kerrey is one of the smartest people I've ever met. I worked on his 2012 campaign, and he remains my favorite politician. I needed a plot device.

Bob Kerrey is one of the smartest people I've ever met. I worked on his 2012 campaign, and he remains my favorite politician. I needed a plot device.
I understand that just putting my two cents in through. One of these days I need to work for a campaign but things in Florida are so blah.

Newsweek Jul 19
Convention Trampoline

Cover article: "Up by 24, Cuomo rises to the moment. The next President's vision takes hold"

3165072.jpg

Page 34. 2000? Kerrey's "strong pragmatism" popular with primetime viewers
Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 8.58.02 PM.png

American Experience is brought to you by the Alfred P. Sloan foundation and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The Presidents is brought to you in progress:

[Photo of premature infant, deep monotone voice] This is Jill. Jill was born at 38 weeks. She has down syndrome. Mario Cuomo and Bob Kerrey think her mother should kill Jill. [Graphic image] Under the Cuomo/Kerrey plan, Jill's heart will be punctured, her limbs pulled and thrown into a waste container.

[Paul Begala] The Jill ad was the dirtestist ad ever run

[John Danforth, R-MO] The FCC should have blocked the ad. It was too graphic to air on broadcast television

[Bob Wright, Chairman of NBC] I first saw the ad at home. It never should have run. It was much too graphic, and we were rightfully fined.

[Paul Wellstone, D-MN] It distorted the Democratic platform on late term termination, but it wedged voters and it was the moment the campaign turned.

[Narrator] The Jill ad ran on Sunday, September 6 1992. It depicted photos of a premature infant contrasted with a graphic abortion. The Bush campaign would be fined $380,000 in February of 1993 for indecent imagery, however, the ad took hold in the public.

[Georeg Stephanapolous] It's politics at it's worst.

[Maggie Williams] Politics is a rough business. In '96 we never stooped that low. Bush will always have to live with that ad.

[Tommy Thompson, former Governor, WI] President Bush was one of the best leaders we've ever had, but I regret that the ad aired

[Narrator] The TV spot, known as the Jill Ad, aired during both NFC and AFC football early games. Audiences immediately responded to the graphic depictions.

[Susan Estrich, 1992 Cuomo Campaign Chair] He [Bush] controlled the FCC. I know the ad only ran once, but we went from up 30 to an even race because of that ad.

Last edited:
1992 Presidential Debate (in progress)
[Bernard Shaw] Governor Cuomo, you've long said that people deserve respect regardless of their sexual preference--

[Mario Cuomo] --it's not a preference, it's insulting to sa---

[Bernard Shaw] --Governor, you'll have your time. What is your view on civll [Cutway]

[Clip in progress, narrator] During the debate, as the clear frontrunner Cuomo was off his normally calm self after a series of combative questions from moderators from all three networks.

[Susan Strich] Bush's finest moment was in the 1992 debates. As the frontrunner, Cuomo got all the though questions. We lost the coinflip and unfortunately, we went first on a lot of the questions.

[Audience question] ...what are the causes of the national debt and if you're not feeling the causes of the national debt, how can you honestly saw that you feel the effects of the national debt?

[Cuomo] Gosh. The national debt is not the big issue. It's that we're not making programs happen that help people get on their feet. [trails off while video goes to next speaker]

[James Baker] President Bush realized the National Debt question was not about the Naitonal debt, but about the recession. In our debate preps, he kept checking his watch. If you look at the tapes, he's not wearing one. I literally made him remove it before the debate.

[Bush] You're feeling the national debt?

[Audience member nods head]

[Bush] I agree. It's been hard. We're going to do better. And I know that we're not feeling it, but if you can trust me, we'll make it through this---together. I know people are working harder than ever. I went to my church this weekend with my grandson, and in the bulletin, there was an ad about teenage pregnancy. And and thought about my grandkids. And I desperately want them to have a life that's as good as ours. I know it hurts. We will recover, and Im asking you trust me. I promise we'll get the debt in line. This is my promise.

[James Baker] It was a slam dunk.

[Strich] It didn't help that Mario got caught looking at his watch in the background.

Last edited:
[Excerpt from "The Grind: the Reelection of George Bush", Chapter 19 'Momentum'] Bush still trailed in crucial battleground states, especially in the industrial midwest, but a path to victory began to emerge. A number of factors made this victory seem plausible. Yes, there was a flare up in the culture wars, but more importantly, the candidate that had found his voice, and the President's campaign finally felt a sense of purpose. A promising jobs report in late October continued to add to President Bush's good fortune. For the first time, campaign staffers began to ponder the possibility that they could actually win. Despite this newfound sense of optimism, only a small group of senior staffers, and possibly not even the President himself, knew what RNC opposition research had leaked to CBS and the New York Times, an October surprise unlike any other in modern politics.

New York Times

Wednesday, October 28, 1992
One Awful Night in Thanh Phong

(Allentown, PA) -- Senator Bob Kerrey's hands trembled slightly as he began to read six pages of documents that had just been handed to him on Tuesday afternoon. On a campaign bus, rocking on an uncomfortable country road; the papers were nearly 25 years old. Minutes earlier, the Cuomo campaign had been informed that there were documents that Senator Kerrey, the charismatic running mate of Governor Cuomo, would want to see before an already-filed report went public. On the face of it, they were routine "after action" combat reports of the sort filed by the thousands during the Vietnam War. But Kerrey knew the pages held a personal secret -- of an event so traumatic that he says it once prompted fleeting thoughts of suicide.

Pulling the documents within inches of his eyes, he read intently about his time as a member of the Navy Seals and about a mission in 1969 that somehow went horribly wrong. As an inexperienced, 25-year-old lieutenant, Kerrey led a commando team on a raid of an isolated peasant hamlet called Thanh Phong in Vietnam's eastern Mekong Delta. While witnesses and official records give varying accounts of exactly what happened, one thing is certain: around midnight on Feb. 25, 1969, Kerrey and his men killed at least 13 unarmed women and children. The operation was brutal; for months afterward, Kerrey says, he feared going to sleep because of the terrible nightmares that haunted him.

Last edited:
The New York Times
BUSH REELECTED; Republicans maintain hold on White House

November 4, 1992

[Houston, TX] -- President George Bush cemented his spot as one of the most resilient Presidential candidates in history early Wednesday morning. Mr. Bush's win will extend the Republican hold on the White House to at least 16 consecutive years.

Early Wednesday morning Governor Cuomo called to concede the election to Mr. Bush, who overcame a steep summer deficit in polling for the second consecutive cycle. Mr. Bush's campaign shattered Mr. Cuomo's polling lead through a series of aggressive attack ads, positive economic news, and the stunning late-October disclosure that Mr. Cuomo's running mate, Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey, had been implicated in the killing of civilians during a botched mission during the Vietnam War.

Ross Perot, the Texas billionaire who roiled this race throughout, finished third, drawing roughly equally from both major party candidates, according to Voter Research & Surveys, the television polling consortium. His share of the popular vote had the potential to exceed any third-party candidates in more than half a century.

In their statements early Wednesday morning, each candidate was gracious. In New York City, surrounded by his family, Mr. Cuomo conceded defeat at 1:15 am, "I know this is painful for many of you, but our work will continue. Let's do all we can to support President Bush, but never lose sight of our ideals for this great country."

Twenty-five minutes later, Mr. Bush declared victory in Houston, TX, "I said it four years ago, and I'll say it again, with great happiness and humbly; we can again speak the most majestic words a democracy has to offer: 'The people have spoken.'''

'The Survivor'

The President capped an astonishing political comeback by running strongly in the south and mid-west. Following the news of Mr. Kerrey's Thanh Phong raid, Democratic turnout was depressed in a number of states, likely costing the Cuomo campaign Pennsylvania, Ohio and New Hampshire. Mr. Cuomo's campaign held on to states with significant spillover from the New York media market, but tight exit polling early Tuesday evening in New Jersey and Connecticut, states expected to go comfortably for Mr. Cuomo, foreshadowed the long-night ahead for Democrats.

With 83 percent of the nation's precincts reporting by 3 A.M. today, Mr. Bush had 42 percent to 39 percent for Mr. Cuomo and 18 percent for Mr. Perot. Voters stayed away from the polls in record numbers, with eligible voter turnout projected to fall below 50% for the first time in recorded US history. In a similar manner to his first race, Mr. Bush's win had little down-ballot momentum. While only a consolation prize, Democrats will retain control of the House and Senate, with several Democratic senators winning reelection in states Mr. Bush carried. [Continued on A2]

--------------------
1992 Presidential Election
1992 Presidential Election Map.PNG

Bush Box.PNG

Notable Senate Results:

Senate: 58D/42R
Blair Brown 1992.png

1992 California.PNG

ga 1992.png

NC 1992.png

Just to sign post, now that we've set that up, I'll go back to the Blair documentary narrative style for future posts.