TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

Hello long time reader, first time poster. I fell in love with this book series even with all its flaws and because I love tanks or barrels I love theorizing what they looked like. So I thought I’d throw in my take on the “Custer” barrel both mark 2 and 2.5. Because the US barrel mark 1 is more of the A7V, I took that as a sigh that instead of following the British and French design in OTL that the US took after German design in TL-191. Furthermore I’ve read that turtledove himself has said that the US barrel was akin to the panzer 3.

So I’ve tried to kitbash something together in 1/35 model kits to resemble an American Panzer 3. Outside of the 2.5 turret, which I was shooting for something a little more… foreign looking, I’m happy with the results.

Custer Mark 2.0
View attachment 844286
View attachment 844287
Custer 2.5
View attachment 844288
View attachment 844290
View attachment 844291
View attachment 844292
Pretty cool, looks like you kit bashed a Pz.III with the suspension of an M24, again, pretty cool.

You should post these pics over on the "Alternate History Armoured Fighting Vehicles" thread.
Here's a link - https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ory-armoured-fighting-vehicles-part-3.470632/
Oh and welcome to AH.com.

Hello long time reader, first time poster. I fell in love with this book series even with all its flaws and because I love tanks or barrels I love theorizing what they looked like. So I thought I’d throw in my take on the “Custer” barrel both mark 2 and 2.5. Because the US barrel mark 1 is more of the A7V, I took that as a sigh that instead of following the British and French design in OTL that the US took after German design in TL-191. Furthermore I’ve read that turtledove himself has said that the US barrel was akin to the panzer 3.

So I’ve tried to kitbash something together in 1/35 model kits to resemble an American Panzer 3. Outside of the 2.5 turret, which I was shooting for something a little more… foreign looking, I’m happy with the results.

Custer Mark 2.0
View attachment 844286
View attachment 844287
Custer 2.5
View attachment 844288
View attachment 844290
View attachment 844291
View attachment 844292
Nice work here, very nice color scheme.

Everyone seems to see the Screaming Eagle as basically an Me-262, but going back to when I read the books in high school, I imagined it as an OTL P-80 Shooting Star in German-esque green paint.

Everyone seems to see the Screaming Eagle as basically an Me-262, but going back to when I read the books in high school, I imagined it as an OTL P-80 Shooting Star in German-esque green paint.
The Jet that Moss flies at the end of the books had two jet engines under the wing. Cause it Turtledove its either the 262 or 280 in all likelihood me I always imagined it as a P-59 262 mash up. I made one way back when but its long gone

The Jet that Moss flies at the end of the books had two jet engines under the wing. Cause it Turtledove its either the 262 or 280 in all likelihood me I always imagined it as a P-59 262 mash up. I made one way back when but its long gone
Ahh, okay, I didn't remember that detail. I like your idea better though, it's more creative than a plain old reuse of an OTL model. I could easily see a P-80/Me-262 mashup as well.

P-70 Screaming Eagle.png

Sorry to interfere in the convo, but here's my rendition of the Screaming Eagle, which a cross between the Sukhoi Su-9 and the P-59

I made this a few years back, it has sections from an Su-11 and an Me-262.
_Liberty S1 Screaming Eagle.gif

IIRC Turtledove described the plane having swept wings but I could be mistaken.

Louhead  B-8  Condor.png

The Lockheed B-8 Condor bomber entered service in 1928 during the Pacific War of 1932 they would make up the bulk of US Army Air Force bomber squadrons and would take center stage when the USAAF attempted to respond to the Japanese attack on LA.
(191 base tl back story for my union bomber from Paths)

Now I kinda like the idea of the Screaming Eagle as a sort of cross between the Me-262 and the FH Phantom-- the latter of which is of a comparable era to the P-80 and at least has two engines in the wings as well.
McDonnell_FH-1_Phantom_of_VF-17A_on_USS_Saipan_%28CVL-48%29_in_May_1948.jpg