TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Tredegar_M1916.png

The Tredegar M1916 Machine-Gun and it's accessories.

Developed in the late 1920s, the M1916 from the Tredegar Company was designed to serve as the standard weapon for the aircraft for the newly created Confederate Air Force, both as the main offensive armament for fighters as well as both a turret and a flexible mount for multi-seat aircraft such as bombers and recon aircraft. The weapon had a rate of fire of 1,200 rounds per minute and fed from a 65 round drum, and the weapon was fired from either a trigger mechanism (as shown above) or from a remote controlled mount. In addition to serving as an aircraft weapon, the M1916 was also used by ground forces with little modifications (such as the water jacket and a bi-pod.) The weapon would see service in several other militaries (as they often came mounted on Confederate built aircraft that were also exported), being used by South Africa, Argentina, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Colombia, Russia, Venezuela, and Japan (which the Japanese Army had a licensed copy known as the Type 98.) Interestingly, the Tredegar Company submitted a modified version of the M1916 for the 1935 MG trials, which ended up losing out to Marlin's design which became the infamous "Ripper" machine-gun.
Nice

I always saw the Tredegar Automatic Rifle as looking something like an M14 if it were made with 40s technology. But I like these alternate takes you guys have, very nice!

I remember that Wikipedia used to have an article that claimed, with very little evidence that the all-metal Confederate SMGs in Settling Accounts were likely called "Griswold Submachine Guns", which...strikes me as bullshit but in the absence of anything else, I'll take it. I imagine it looking more or less like the OTL Sten, but with a vertical mag as that form factor was more familiar to Confederate troops. Which results in something resembling the MP-3008.
Mp3008.png

I always saw the Tredegar Automatic Rifle as looking something like an M14 if it were made with 40s technology. But I like these alternate takes you guys have, very nice!

I remember that Wikipedia used to have an article that claimed, with very little evidence that the all-metal Confederate SMGs in Settling Accounts were likely called "Griswold Submachine Guns", which...strikes me as bullshit but in the absence of anything else, I'll take it. I imagine it looking more or less like the OTL Sten, but with a vertical mag as that form factor was more familiar to Confederate troops. Which results in something resembling the MP-3008.
Mp3008.png
Yeah there's quite a few takes on the TAR on this channel. Some lean closer to the M14, while others go in a different direction.

Is that based on one of the Japanese Pedersen prototypes?
Possible, I honestly don't remember, was a while ago that I made it.
It has parts from prototypes that never went into production so it might have a Japanese upper receiver and it has Russian and German parts too.

Possible, I honestly don't remember, was a while ago that I made it.
It has parts from prototypes that never went into production so it might have a Japanese upper receiver and it has Russian and German parts too.
I think you based it off the Johnson Rifle Prototype

The grates in the upper receiver on both rifles reminded me a lot of the Pedersen system prototypes the Japanese trialled in the 30s.

The tank in the books isn't a Maus, but more of a heavy tank like the King Tiger. Or perhaps more similar to an IS-2, with had a 122mm gun (which is about 4.8 inch). Missiles would also be far out of their ability to field in any reasonable timeframe. The only real equivalent might be some sort of large AA rocket meant to attack bomber formations by exploding at a set altitude among them.
What about a M6 heavy tank https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Heavy-tank-OWI-4.jpg

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Taylorcraft TC-34.png

A basic sketch of the Taylorcraft TC-35 Medium Bomber
Taylorcraft TC-34 CSAF.png

A Taylorcraft TC-34T-1 from the CSAF's Bomber School near Huntsville Alabama, C. early 1942.

In the early 1930s, the Confederate aircraft company known as Taylorcraft had proven itself rather successful in the field of aircraft manufacturing, when in the year of 1933, the Confederate Department of Commerce issued them a specification for a new fast twin engine aircraft that was to serve as a ten seat passenger aircraft. In addition, a secret clause in the specifications made by a different Government entity required some clandestine military additions to be made to the design for use as a bomber. With the company name of Model 19, it would be the first Confederate built aircraft to feature retractable landing gear. The prototype would first take flight in August 1934 and would then enter civil service with the Confederate Air Service (or CAS), flying air routes across the south. A year later, a militarized variant, known as Model 19A, would make it's first flight in September 1935 and enter service with the CSAF later in December of that year. Both the military and civilian models would share the same engine (being a licensed copy of the Bristol Pegasus), which allowed the plane to fly at a top speed of 300 mph at top with a range of 1,500 miles, and carried both a pilot and co-pilot. The military variant also have a bombardier/navigator, and two gunners and would come equipped to carry a total of 2,100 pound payload in addition to a defensive armament of three 7.7mm Tredegar M1916 machine-guns (each one going to the nose, dorsal, and ventral turrets.) In the CSAF, the TC-35 (as the Model 19 as referred to in CSAF nomenclature) would equip the newly created bomber squadrons of the Confederacy from 1936 to their withdrawal to second-line duties by Spring of 1941, with the CSAF using them in roles such as transports, trainers, and recon aircraft until the end in 1944. However, the TC-35 would see use in their intended role by other nations, such as with the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War, by both sides of the 2nd Sino-Japanese War, and with the Argentinians and South Africans during the Second Great War.

H-38 Sheepdog.png

A Hughes H-38C-4 "Sheepdog" of the 17th Fighter Training Squadron near Huntsville, C. 1942.

The Sheepdog is was term used by Post-War aviation enthusiasts to refer to a Hound Dog variant that were basically two seat trainer conversions of "War Weary" airframes for the purpose of an advanced trainer, also saw the addition of dual controls, the partial or full removal of the armament, and the canopy being extended.

Weird segue, but does anyone have any ideas for uniforms used by the Freedom Party’s youth wing?
Probably like the Stalwart outfit. Maybe with khaki shorts or skirts instead of trousers, an appropriately colored bandana or cravat, and so on. Maybe an issued knife.