Three Men, One Island - A Cuban Missile Crisis timeline

Castro really, REALLY fucked up. Perhaps had he only used the weapons tactically, things would not have gone so horrible.

I am very curious what Kennedy's address will be- he was in the air so the strategic strike happened without his direct command, What does he think of it.

Where did that one Tu-95 crew land?

Crap! I forgot to add the retaliatory strike against Cuba. I've edited it now.

Castro really, REALLY fucked up. Perhaps had he only used the weapons tactically, things would not have gone so horrible.
I mean, he did send the Armageddon Letter in OTL. One could make the argument he wanted America to strike back at him if Russia would destroy America back.

I am very curious what Kennedy's address will be- he was in the air so the strategic strike happened without his direct command, What does he think of it.
He's horrified at the scale of destruction, but he knew Anderson and Power would order a strike. Pre-delegation gave them the power to do so.

Where did that one Tu-95 crew land?
Fairchild AFB. It was meant to be their target. The American ground crew got quite the scare.

Crap! I forgot to add the retaliatory strike against Cuba. I've edited it now.

I mean, he did send the Armageddon Letter in OTL. One could make the argument he wanted America to strike back at him if Russia would destroy America back.

He's horrified at the scale of destruction, but he knew Anderson and Power would order a strike. Pre-delegation gave them the power to do so.

Fairchild AFB. It was meant to be their target. The American ground crew got quite the scare.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm imagining the Fairchild AFB crew have all abandoned their aboveground stations and gone to bunkers but after a while there's no boom so they climb out and find a Soviet bomber sitting on the runway with the shell-shocked and unarmed crew sitting in front of it.

Damn
The US and West just won the deadliest war in Humanity with the major Commie states all but gone now.
The losses in the West are bad but nothing compared to the USSR and China.

Hope the Beetles somehow survived this war, those guys now have excellent material to write songs with. I do wonder if future Historians will know that it was Castro who caused this fatal exchange to even happen.

Now we've got the exchange over with, the rest of this timeline will cover the ending of the war. After that, I'll be putting most of my efforts into my new writing project.

I've started writing a novel, set within this universe in post-exchange Germany. Is that something you guys would be interested in?

Now we've got the exchange over with, the rest of this timeline will cover the ending of the war. After that, I'll be putting most of my efforts into my new writing project.

I've started writing a novel, set within this universe in post-exchange Germany. Is that something you guys would be interested in?
Sounds like a good ideal there. Do you have an outline for it?

At this point, there are still US military advisors in South Vietnam. What happens to them and also to Vietnam post-exchange?

I'm curious at what point the United States decided that in the event of a Nuclear War with the USSR that nuclear weapons would be directed at the PRC?

Sounds like a good ideal there. Do you have an outline for it?
Spy thriller. No more details than that though, don’t want to give spoilers…

At this point, there are still US military advisors in South Vietnam. What happens to them and also to Vietnam post-exchange?
Vietnam will be covered in the post-exchange updates. But the US personnel will be going home pretty quickly.

I'm curious at what point the United States decided that in the event of a Nuclear War with the USSR that nuclear weapons would be directed at the PRC?
They were in the initial SIOP plans which included the USSR, Warsaw Pact, China and North Korea. By 1962, there were “hold” options added to the plans to not hit certain states, but General Power just went with the original “kill ‘em all” option.

Interestingly, Mongolia and North Korea weren’t on the SIOP lists.

They were in the initial SIOP plans which included the USSR, Warsaw Pact, China and North Korea. By 1962, there were “hold” options added to the plans to not hit certain states, but General Power just went with the original “kill ‘em all” option.
One thing I forgot to mention was that China was at war with India at the time, who the Americans had promised to support.

The Indian-China conflict ITTL was based on a British lie about the border between India and China. The Chinese were legally in the right to occupy the territory claimed by India in the Himalayas. The British when they controlled India had lied about where the border lay and India had believed the lies. The Chinese were more experienced at high-altitude warfare and trounced the Indians badly. The Indians replied by occupying Chinese territory along the eastern border with China. They still hold that territory today while the PRC still holds the territory which they took in 1962. If you -want a full explanation of the Sino-Indian war, look here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

Last edited:
I suggest that we do not talk about current politics here, because your vision of the facts is not compatible with that of other observers who count Chinese provocations on its land and maritime borders.

In 1962, Nehru felt betrayed by Mao, the Indian army in the Himalayas absolutely did not expect Chinese aggression.

Do not start arguing over current politics here. There are channels to discuss the China-India border and who’s right and who’s wrong, but it’s not here.

Just as a quick note. " U.S. 3rd Armoured Division" A US Division uses Armored (no u) rather than Armoured. When I first saw "3rd Armoured Division", I was trying to figure out what other countries involved had Armoured Divisions...

I also indicate a typo :
Chapitre 9 : In retaliation, NATO air forces retaliate against military targets inside East Germany. NVA Air Force command headquarters in Strausberg is hit by a British Valient - Valiant - bomber and wiped from the face of the earth