Theodore Roosevelt's Later Life

Let's assume the following events didn't happen to Theodore Roosevelt: wasn't shot in 1912, didn't undertake the Amazon journey, and his son Quentin survives WWI. This being so, and if he lives into the 1930's (which would put him into his early-mid 70's), how outspoken (for or against) would he have been on FDR's policies? While a Republican he definitely had no qualms of extending the federal government's powers during his term to protect the interests of the public. But would the policies of the New Deal had been too much for him? Could he have become a rejuvenated standard for Republicans to rally around.

Last edited:
You're omitting a little detail: he would almost certainly have been president of the United States again! (Certainly Leonard Wood and Hiram Johnson would not have run if TR did in 1920; and many people who supported other GOP candidates might have supported him, too. His violent criticisms of Wilson made it easier for the Old Guard to forgive him for 1912.) This means that you cannot assume that everything else would go the same; certainly you can't assume that FDR (who only barely won the New York governorship in 1928 in OTL) would still become president.

You're omitting a little detail: he would almost certainly have been president of the United States again! (Certainly Leonard Wood and Hiram Johnson would not have run if TR did in 1920; and many people who supported other GOP candidates might have supported him, too. His violent criticisms of Wilson made it easier for the Old Guard to forgive him for 1912.) This means that you cannot assume that everything else would go the same; certainly you can't assume that FDR (who only barely won the New York governorship in 1928 in OTL) would still become president.

That's very much true; butterflies can't be ignored. Still, it assumes that if he runs in 1920 that he'll win (which I believe he would have a strong chance). Was he all that close with FDR at all? Could TR Presidency in the 1920's have included FDR, even in the smallest of posts?

I don't think FDR would have been on the Democratic ticket in 1920 if TR had been alive and the GOP candidate. FDR was nominated largely because of his name, in the hope he would appeal to the late Colonel's supporters. This didn't work even in OTL; TR, Jr. denounced him as a "maverick" lacking "the brand of our family." https://books.google.com/books?id=5p9GIzyk0XgC&pg=PA319 Against TR, a ticket including "Roosevelt Minor" (as H. L. Mencken was to call him) would just look ridiculous.

BTW, Eleanor, infuriated by TR, Jr.'s comments, got her revenge against him in 1924; she campaigned for Al Smith (who won reelection as governor of New York against TR, Jr.) in a Buick with a "singing teapot" https://books.google.com/books?id=Xm4wvLIijGIC&pg=PA181 to represent TR, Jr's alleged role in the Teapot Dome scandal...

Last edited:
Had TR been elected in 1920 might he have pushed reforms that would have helped reduce or prevent the Depression ?

Overproduction always going to cause a slump but with reforms perhaps not the complete collapse

This is fascinating in its own right. Before getting into the fascinating questions of what TR does in office in place of Harding and Coolidge, I'd like to skip ahead and put the cart before the horse to answer the OP's question.

Assume for a moment there is a great depression about on schedule and a Democrat wins and implements a new wave of progressive reform similar to the New Deal [I agree FDR's political success is unlikely here, so it would be somebody else], how would old TR react. I suspect he would be an outspoken, critical curmudgeon. However, the specifics of his critique would not match those of the New Deal's old-line conservative GOP detractors, no matter how much they might want to make tactical use of TR's criticism. Even if it didn't resonate with the public and elites, TR would probably bellyache about insufficient naval spending and if the Democrat did a "Good NEighbor" style retrenchment from intervention in the Caribbean, he would probably criticize that too.

---OK, let's get back to TR in office 1921-1925. How is he going to differ from Harding and Coolidge?

Will TR appoint Andrew Mellon to Treasury? Would he cut taxes as much as Harding? Will he be any less hostile to organized labor than Harding and Coolidge.

On internal racial issues I expect nothing would get done and in fact TR would probably avoid the gestures Harding made towards African-Americans (insisting on having mixed admission to his speaking events in the south).

I suspect immigration restrictionism would develop similarly to OTL.

How would TR be on anti-trust issues and Supreme Court appointments, and to what effect?

In international policy, who would he appoint as Secretary of State, and would he go for the Washington Treaties as constructed in OTL? In particular, might he have a big problem with the agreement to forego fortification of US bases in the western Pacific. Would he agree to negotiated arms limitation at all. No matter what approach he takes towards arms control treaties and Far Eastern issues, he would probably be disappointed by Congress in his hopes for the Naval budget and ship construction.

Assume for a moment there is a great depression about on schedule and a Democrat wins and implements a new wave of progressive reform similar to the New Deal

That is a very big thing to assume; I made this thread with the goal of finding an FDR-esque figure for the 1930s. What I found was that there was no such figure.

Well I'm more interested in discussing what a TR administration would do in the 1920s anyway. But I did want to do the OP the favor of speculating on his question, what a geriatric TR would do when out of power in the 1930s.

I wish he had never made the promise to refuse a third term. He really loved being President and it invigorated him. The man was one of the best and one more term with him as Executive would have saved us from Woodrow following the Republican splintering.

On internal racial issues I expect nothing would get done and in fact TR would probably avoid the gestures Harding made towards African-Americans (insisting on having mixed admission to his speaking events in the south).

I think you underrate Roosevelt here, the man was genuinely racially liberal by the standards of his time. He invited Booker T Washington to dine with him at the White House, a fairly significant gesture in and of itself.

I think you underrate Roosevelt here, the man was genuinely racially liberal by the standards of his time. He invited Booker T Washington to dine with him at the White House, a fairly significant gesture in and of itself.

And yet he let the Progressive Party representatives in the South seat white-only delegations and turn away black delegations.

Theodore Roosevelt is a complex figure on the subject of race, and it's not always to his credit.

Yeah, and Woodrow Wilson invited Booker T. Washington to his investiture as Princeton president.

And yet he let the Progressive Party representatives in the South seat white-only delegations and turn away black delegations.

Theodore Roosevelt is a complex figure on the subject of race, and it's not always to his credit.

Yep. See also the Brownsville Affair, and his many writings on the superiority of the white race.