Their Cross to Bear: An Alternate Reformation Timeline

Info: How the Imperial Church Works
Thinking about it, I do have a few questions. Primarily how the higher levels of the Imperial church hierarchy are decided. I understand the lower levels are voted in by their fellow clergyman and the local laity (unless I'm way off on that and if so can you correct me) but do the regional ministers vote for the bishops and they the archbishops or does it work differently? I am also curious how it is decided one goes into either the doctrinal or Church council after the first generation. Are they hand picked by the Emperor for the doctrinal council or are they voted into that council? Or is the doctrinal council ultimately temporary until the Imperial church has properly rounded out it's theology?

You are right about the mix of local clergy and laity electing their local ministers and at the next level up as well.

Bishop and Archbishop openings will eventually (note eventually) see several nominees from the lower level chosen by ecclesiastical and laity representatives (all need to fulfill various educational requirements, be acceptable to the local leaders etc.) of whom one nominee is put forward by the Church Council (or whatever subcommittee they set up for it) who is then either accepted by the Emperor (or his representative). A lot of this plays into how the administration of the Empire will eventually develop.

For the time being the high church positions are still largely appointed according to political expedience, the aforementioned shift will happen as the church moves from land ownership to running on taxes (another thing that the Imperial Church will help spearhead in the Empire), but until then appointees will continue as in the Catholic Church in Germany for the time being, though current bishops/archbishops are much more strongly policed by the Doctrinal Council and the new appointees need significant educational qualifications. We will see this with a pair of very young appointees who replace Albrecht von Hohenzollern having "regents" until they can undertake all the required educational supports they require.

Sorry if that is confusing, I can try to explain it differently if necessary.

The Doctrinal Council is initially made up of Zwingli, Melanchthon, Bucer, Justus and Bullinger and their closest supporters - numbering some 20 in total - with much of its work done by correspondence. After this the Doctrinal Council evaluates nominees put forward by any of its members and votes on their inclusion - requiring two-thirds for to get the seat - before presenting them to the Church Council who must have two-thirds majority to veto the pick. The Emperor can ofcourse veto in either council if he wishes, but will usually refrain from acting on it.

The Church Council is filled by all the Archbishops (or their representatives) and most of the more prominent Bishops (precisely who is a matter of debate and constant adjustment) for a total of twenty. There are twelve laity representatives, four from the Imperial Cities, four from the Imperial Knights/lower nobility and four from the upper nobility (mostly representing Lay Electors, there is a bunch of stuff here related to restructuring here). The Doctrinal Council also provide five members alongside five Imperial representatives. A final, Forty-first, member is the Emperor.

The Doctrinal Council is the one which sets out Church Doctrine which is then presented to the Church Council for a majority vote.

I think that covers it. Let me know if there are any other questions, helps me fill it out. Damn that took some thinking, I had some of this thought out but lacked the details before now :) .

EDIT:

Reread it and I saw that the doctrinal council has sub councils, so are they the ones who are able to enter the Doctrinal council when a member of that council dies? And how is someone decided to join either the theological career or the administrative career of the Imperial Church?

The subcouncils' presidents are chosen by the Doctrinal Council, and are often members of the council, who then fill out the council with further members from their followers. They in turn decide a representative who leads a sub-subcouncil on a lower level with oversight from the level above. A seperate institution building on inspiration from the Inquisition, the Streltsy and Witch Hunters will be set up at a later point to enforce doctrinal adherence because of a problem with this system.

A theological career usually starts following a seminary education where you stand for election at a lower level or become a theological scholar (then you need to get a university education) who presents writings to the subdoctrinal councils - they send some particularly good texts on to the doctrinal council for evaluation.

An administrative career starts with a seminary education followed by more education at univeristy if you want to be a missionary or entry into the lower level through election. There you work your way up to the second level and from there can take administrative university education for a bishopric. Then an archbishopric if you are lucky.

You could also be lucky and come to the Emperor's attention and have him appoint you somewhere directly, but that is going to be a rare occurence.

There is of course a lot of wiggle room in here and if you have the right patron you can skip certain parts of it. The only thing completely certain is that you need seminary school if you want an ecclesiastical career, you need a theological university degree if you want to have anything to say on doctrine and if you want to become a bishop you need an administrative university education.

EDIT 2.0:

Thank you, that really does help explain how the church works. Though it is certainly a complicated system. But I feel like I generally understand it.

Now I'm wondering how this structure contrasts with OTL protestant church structures from the same period such as Lutherans, OTL Calvinists (and ITTL Calvinists if that is alright) and Anglicans. From what little I know about protestant structures, primarily Anglican, the Emperor is in the same general role as the King/Queen of England as the protector and official head of the church. The only other thing I can presume is that the election of priests is similar to that of the Calvinist/Reform tradition of OTL.

Also, if I may ask, does the Hubmaierist church have any notable structure at this point ITTL? I mean it's technically older than the Imperial Church and has had more time to settle structural roots in Hungary but it is also Anabaptist which I understand is largely against structure. Though the Hubmaierist church is already in that weird place of being both Magisterial and Anabaptist.

...I imagine that other Anabaptist branches don't particularly like the Hubmaierists and view them in the same light as Zwinglists and other magisterial protestants.

It is a complicated and cumbersome system that will go through multiple iterations as it develops. Keep in mind this is the mid-sixteenth century. The main part is securing that everyone has the education needed to accomplish the job. You also have various iterant lay preachers and the like moving about outside the system but they are liable to find themselves dragged before a doctrinal comittee.

It is far more centralized than the Lutherans and Calvinists, with the Lutheran church basically being dozens of interrelated churches who move between supporting a range of different Lutheran reformers, though they are usually organized under a regal head - like the Imperial Church ITTL.

Calvinists IOTL and ITTL and the OTL's Reformed churches are built mainly on councils of clergy in prebytiers to my knowledge. The council aspect of it shares quite a bit with the Imperial Church's structures but to my knowledge there was a quite clear separation between Laymen and Clergy in regards to power to develop doctrine and the like. That said, the OTL huguenots were led by lay nobles so I am not quite sure how that plays into all this. The election process borrows a lot from the Calvinist/reformed tradition of OTL, that is accurate.

The Emperor does share a lot with the role held by particularly Henry VIII IOTL, though there is far more of a give and take between the Emperor and the Church than with Henry who imo seems to have mostly done whatever was politically expedient and kept everything as close to the catholic church as possible. Edward VI might actaully be a better comparison tbh.

The Hubmaierist church is perhaps notable for its lack of structure at this point in time. It consists mostly of a bunch of preachers and reformers who take their guidelines from Hubmaier's writings and sermons and then run with it. It probably has most in common with OTL Lutheranism in the way people took the message and ran with it in a wide variety of ways with Hubmaier then writing out to correct misinterpretations and the like. It won't stay that way in the long run if Hubmaierism is to have a chance of survival but the creation of church structures and the struggle against that move will be a core source of conflict for the Hubmaierists alongside the split between Elite and Populist branches.

The Hubmaierists are viewed as something of a benevolent aberration since it has largely protected the Müntzerites, Hutterites and more, but they are all pretty sure that the Hubmaierists are all going to hell. They do view the Hubmaierists as more insidious than the rest of the magisterial reformation because of their embrace of spiritualist elements, active christianity, adult baptism etc. which allow them to sweep through regions in much the same way as Anabaptist movements generally.

Last edited:
Thank you, that really does help explain how the church works. Though it is certainly a complicated system. But I feel like I generally understand it.

Now I'm wondering how this structure contrasts with OTL protestant church structures from the same period such as Lutherans, OTL Calvinists (and ITTL Calvinists if that is alright) and Anglicans. From what little I know about protestant structures, primarily Anglican, the Emperor is in the same general role as the King/Queen of England as the protector and official head of the church. The only other thing I can presume is that the election of priests is similar to that of the Calvinist/Reform tradition of OTL.

Also, if I may ask, does the Hubmaierist church have any notable structure at this point ITTL? I mean it's technically older than the Imperial Church and has had more time to settle structural roots in Hungary but it is also Anabaptist which I understand is largely against structure. Though the Hubmaierist church is already in that weird place of being both Magisterial and Anabaptist.

...I imagine that other Anabaptist branches don't particularly like the Hubmaierists and view them in the same light as Zwinglists and other magisterial protestants.

Last edited:

I have added answers to your questions in the post above under EDIT 2.0

I hope that answers most of your questions.

Thank you again for further answering my questions.

I really hope Hubmaierist Anabaptist church survives long term. It is such a fascinating, little branch of the reformation and is so relatively tolerant in contrast to it's fellow magisterial reformations to their fellow Anabaptists.

Actually, what is the opinion of the Hubmaierists by the other magisterial reform branches?

Last edited:
Thank you again for further answering my questions.

I really hope Hubmaierist Anabaptist church survives long term. It is such a fascinating, little branch of the reformation and is so relatively tolerant in contrast to it's fellow magisterial reformations to their fellow Anabaptists.

Actually, what is the opinion of the Hubmaierists by the other magisterial reform branches?

Not a problem, helps me think it through.

The Hubmaierists are an interesting branch of the reformation which I look forward to exploring further. Its tolerant outlook is interesting but puts it at a disadvantage to some of the more militantly missionary movements, as does its acceptance of magisterial power which, while making them significantly tolerable to most, does leave them in a weaker position when it comes to resisting persecution.

The magisterial reformers, particularly the Zwinglian/Imperial reformers, see the Hubmaierists as a wierd deviation from the Imperial Church which isn't quite heretical but has grievously misunderstood the messages of the bible and are an aberration of the reformation. This is part of why Hubmaierist litterature can circulate semi-openly in the Empire and the alliance between Hungary-Bohemia and the Empire continues to be justified, but the moment there is a reason to break with the Hubmaierists they will be more than willing to do so.

Thank you for telling me to listen to that story about the Munster Rebellion. It is absolutely fascinating if horrifying to listen too. Especially with what happened to Jan van Leiden and the two other leaders of Munster at the end.

I have a question, did the OTL major primary source Dan Carlin use survive ITTL or did he die as well ITTL? Presuming he still existed of course.

This is massive!
Both the writing - kudos to @Zulfurium once again, and the implications of a full replacement of the Pope`s role by the HREmperor. I wonder how dynastic / secular power games on one hand and doctrinal adherence on the other hand are going to play into or against one another in future elections of the emperor - just imagine an Oldenburg successor, a century down the road or so, who's covertly Catholic, or Hubmaierist... ?!
The High Church is beginning to take shape. As for the Low Church(es), it looks like non-Hungarian Anabaptism goes a similar way like OTL with Menno still important, and there's Calvinists and Lutherans around, but somehow I suspect that later movements will at best draw selectively from elements of these. Also, I wonder how important intellectually Hungary is going to become here!
I am somewhat puzzled with regards to the relations between the Swiss Confederacy and the HRE. They seem to still act entirely independently and not care much about the secular developments around the renovation of the Empire, which to me looks slightly weird, or perhaps I have just misunderstood this? For in spite of their military successes, the Confederacy was at this time still a part of the HRE, and as the EMpire centralizes, Swiss independence is not necessarily self-understood, is it?

Thank you for telling me to listen to that story about the Munster Rebellion. It is absolutely fascinating if horrifying to listen too. Especially with what happened to Jan van Leiden and the two other leaders of Munster at the end.

I have a question, did the OTL major primary source Dan Carlin use survive ITTL or did he die as well ITTL? Presuming he still existed of course.

Dan Carlin is generally a fantastic podcaster, and since it seemed relevant I thought why noy share the wealth. It is honestly three years since I last listened to it, so I can't remember who the main source was - but I don't see why he wouldn't be present ITTL as well.

In case you haven't listened to him before I would recommend his World War One (Blueprint to Armageddon) series to anyone, it is his best work, alongside Wrath of the Khans, Ghosts of the Ostfront (on the eastern front during WW2) and his Fall of the Roman Republic series. Though all of them except Blueprint are behind a paywall now. His standalone episodes are also fantastic.

This is massive!
Both the writing - kudos to @Zulfurium once again, and the implications of a full replacement of the Pope`s role by the HREmperor. I wonder how dynastic / secular power games on one hand and doctrinal adherence on the other hand are going to play into or against one another in future elections of the emperor - just imagine an Oldenburg successor, a century down the road or so, who's covertly Catholic, or Hubmaierist... ?!
The High Church is beginning to take shape. As for the Low Church(es), it looks like non-Hungarian Anabaptism goes a similar way like OTL with Menno still important, and there's Calvinists and Lutherans around, but somehow I suspect that later movements will at best draw selectively from elements of these. Also, I wonder how important intellectually Hungary is going to become here!
I am somewhat puzzled with regards to the relations between the Swiss Confederacy and the HRE. They seem to still act entirely independently and not care much about the secular developments around the renovation of the Empire, which to me looks slightly weird, or perhaps I have just misunderstood this? For in spite of their military successes, the Confederacy was at this time still a part of the HRE, and as the EMpire centralizes, Swiss independence is not necessarily self-understood, is it?

I am really happy to hear you enjoy the thought experiment I set myself with this. Doctrinal adherence internally is going to be very important. I honestly am not sure what a covert Catholic would mean in this context, it would be a major crisis but unless it was kept completely secret he would likely be passed over in the election in favor of someone of the true faith.

The Lutherans have largely been subsumed by their the Calvinists or the Imperial Church as stated in the update. This is the starting point for the reformation and while there will be plenty of religious turmoil, shifts and developments they are all going to be drawing on previous reformers to one degree or another. Hungary is and will be immensely important intellectually due to the high levels of tolerance which allow thinkers from across the spectrum to present their ideas and writings. Much like Transylvania IOTL, it will be a haven for dissidents of all sort - probably most interestingly the anti-trinitarians will experience significant success in the region.

The issue of Swiss autonomy will come to a head at a later time but for the moment the only places the HRE exerts actual influence is in Zürich and Basel. I will get into the difficulties of actually implementing the Imperial Church in a later update but the Swiss Confederacy sees very little actual effort outside these two cantons and their allies/dependencies at least for the time being. The issue of religious compliance is some of the stuff I am writing about in update 17-18 so there is plenty of stuff coming up about it.

I hope that answers your question.

Update Twelve: The Roman Peril
Hello Everyone. We now get into what has been keeping the French from properly intervening in Germany and I hope it is epic enough to justify. There are pirates, Turks, Papal Conclaves, murderous nephews, intrigues, civil war and much more in this one. I really want to hear your thoughts, and hope you enjoy!

The Roman Peril
260px-Suleymanname_412a.jpg

Sultan Süleiman Receives Hayredin Barbarossa in Istanbul
When Süleiman turned his gaze westward to the Mediterranean in 1530 it became very clear that the Ottoman navy was wholly inadequate when it came to properly projecting power westward or even defending the coasts, as was experienced when the recently released Ugo de Moncada, Viceroy of Sicily, led a major raid on the Greek coastline and unsuccessfully besieged the fortress of Coron in early 1531 though without any naval opposition worth mentioning. Süleiman summoned Hayreddin Barbarossa from Algiers as the only man with the experience to mount an adequate riposte. In the summer of 1531, the legendary corsair sailed fourteen galleys into the Golden Horn, amid the firing of numerous salutes, and presented himself to the sultan, taking with him eighteen captains, his companions, and rich presents, where he had the honour of kissing the royal hand, and had innumerable favors conferred upon him. With the backing of the Grand Vizier, Ibrahim Pasha, he was appointed the sultan’s admiral and tasked with the construction of a new fleet, the reversal of Coron, and striking back at the impudent King of Spain (1). Hayreddin was not only given the official title of Kapudan-i-Derya, Grand Admiral of the Mediterranean Fleet, Suleiman also created a new governorship for him - the Province of the Archipelago - formed from the coasts of the Ottoman Mediterranean. It was a measure of how seriously he now regarded the struggle for the sea. Hayreddin was fifty-three and at the height of good fortune, his energy undiminished by age. In the winter of 1531–32 he set about reconstructing the Ottoman navy in the arsenal on the Golden Horn. He was able to harness all the natural advantages of the empire. Shipbuilding is a hungry consumer of raw materials; vast quantities of timber, pitch, tallow, iron, and sailcloth are required. All these things could be supplied from within the empire’s own resources, and the manpower to build, sail, and row the vessels—a perennial problem for Christian fleets—could be efficiently levied by a centralized administration, unmatched in its reach and efficiency. With these resources, Hayreddin worked unceasingly to construct an imperial fleet worthy of the ruler of the White Sea - the Ottoman name for the Mediterranean. European spies and diplomats closely monitored his progress - no hard thing, as the arsenal was not surrounded by any enclosing wall. Barbarossa was continually in the arsenal, it was reported back to the west, where he did both eat and drink to lose no time. (2)

On May 23, 1532, as Suleiman swung himself into the saddle for the first campaign in his new Mediterranean strategy aimed squarely at the weakened Serene Republic of Venice, Barbarossa’s new fleet nosed its way out of the Golden Horn, to the triumphal firing of cannon (3). The Flemish diplomat Cornelius de Schepper saw it go and wrote Moncada an ominous report. Altogether there were seventy serviceable galleys, including three commander’s ships with stern lanterns. Hayreddin’s ornate flagship was rowed by one hundred sixty Christian slaves. "In all he had 1,233 Christian slaves… the rest of the oarsmen were Serbians and Bulgarians, all of whom were chained because they were Christians.” Each galley had bronze cannon firing stone shot, and between one hundred and one hundred twenty fighting men, “many of whom were in his expedition without pay, because of his fame and the expectation of plunder." The fleet carried a substantial treasury to pay the salaried men: fifty thousand gold ducats, forty thousand ducats’ worth of precious stones, three hundred bolts of gold cloth. Suleiman had been able to aggregate huge resources. With hindsight, the French ambassador in the city was fully able to grasp the significance of this moment. “The supremacy of the Turk dates from Hayreddin’s first winter in the dockyards of the city,” he wrote ten years later. The fleet rowing smartly down to Gallipoli represented a major escalation of naval power. It was the start of an era of full-blown sea warfare. Almost every spring for the next several decades European spies would send back ominous rumors of huge fleets preparing to devastate the vulnerable shores of Christendom (4).

At the top of the Adriatic, the Venetians watched these developments with grave disquiet. Venice had maintained a queasy balancing act, trying to maintain her independence between two menacing superpowers. Charles had swallowed up all of southern Italy while Suleiman’s navy threatened her maritime possessions in the Adriatic and Mediterranean and, with this new fleet, their republic itself. The republic’s sole ambition was to trade profitably on a calm sea. Unable to compete militarily, she had built her security on adroit political maneuvering. No one courted the Grand Turk so assiduously, bribed his ministers so handsomely, spied on him so obsessively. The Venetians sent their top diplomats to Istanbul, where they kept a trained corps of Turkish speakers and cryptographers, who dispatched endless coded reports. It was a policy that had bought them thirty years’ peace. The cornerstone was the special relationship with Ibrahim Pasha, the powerful chief vizier, born a Venetian subject on the shores of the Adriatic. He occupied a uniquely trusted position in the sultan’s favor, but as Suleiman turned his intense gaze on the sea, all this threatened to come unraveled. After finding his master turned firmly against the Venetians, focused on the central role the republic played in shielding Italy from assault, Ibrahim Pasha finally succumbed to the changing tide and threw himself wholeheartedly against the Venetians while taking note of the increasingly hostile attentions of Hürrem Sultan, Süleiman's wife and former concubine - known as Roxelana in the west (5).

Corfu_map_16th_century.jpg

The Siege of Corfu
The Third Ottoman-Venetian War began with a bang. Having set out from Istanbul, the Venetians were caught by complete surprise when Süleiman's army arrived on the Adriatic Coast across from Corfu while Hayreddin established a close blockade of the island - having expected another Balkan Campaign based on Süleiman's and his representatives' statements. The fleet, composed of about 320 ships, started bombarding Corfu on 26th of June 1532. Ottoman troops amounting to 25,000 men were landed on the island of Corfu to begin an assault on the medieval defenses (6). At the same time Gazi Husrev Beg, having been reinforced quietly over the course of the preceding year, launched a concentrated assault on the Venetian possessions in Dalmatia and Ibrahim Pasha found his efforts directed against the Venetian holdings in Albania. Venetian trade through the Bosporus was interdicted, causing the Venetian market to collapse in a financial crisis which it would only really begin to recover from by the mid-1540s. It was at this point that the aged but highly respected Doge Andrea Gritti succeeded in rallying the republic, sending requests for aid to King Francis and Pope Clement while preparing the Venetian fleet for war. However, before they could set sail news arrived that Corfu had fallen into Ottoman hands alongside Kotor and the remainder of Venetian Albania. Thus, news that the cities of Split and Sibenik still held out and Hayreddin had turned southward to the Ionian Isles rather than sailing up the Adriatic caused immense relief amongst the Council of Twelve and the Doge who led the Serene Republic. However, these losses were devastating and the loss of Dalmatia could well spell the end of Venetian dominance of trade in the Eastern Mediterranean. The Venetian fleet therefore would focus its efforts on Dalmatia, reinforcing the garrisons immensely and provide sea-ward bombardment of Gazi Husrev Beg's positions. By the end of the year, the Venetians had beaten back the assault on Dalmatia and were looking to cut their losses, unwilling to bear the costs of an extended conflict. Thus, under humiliating but acceptable terms given the lack of French and Papal support, Andrea Gritti signed a treaty surrendering Corfu, Venetian Albania and the Ionian Islands lost in the Second Ottoman-Venetian War, namely Cephalonia, Zante and Ithaca, though in return the Venetians would be allowed to continue trading in the Empire and would see their confiscated ships returned with their goods and crews intact. The humiliation of having to sign the Capitulations which surrendered so much of the Stato da Már would significantly weaken Andrea Gritti, who would pass away in 1534 a broken and humiliated man. He would be succeeded by Pietro Lando who had had a long and distinguished career as Captain General of the Sea and had led the fleet in defending Dalmatia (7).

Hayreddin’s fleet next set a course for revenge. In the summer of 1533 it struck the coast of Charles’s domains in Southern Italy like a tidal wave. The sultan’s new admiral was evidently well informed. Aware that the Adriatic shore had been fortified with watchtowers, he swung around the heel of Italy and ravaged the western coastline toward Naples, burning villages, destroying ships, enslaving whole settlements. The suddenness and terror of his mass landings, the impact of the churning galley squadrons closing on the unprotected shore, had the heart-stopping terror of Ottoman frontier raids. Detachments of Moncada’s fleet at Messina could only hug the harbor and watch the Ottoman fleet sweep by. Reggio, hard opposite Sicily, was abandoned on Barbarossa’s approach. He took six transport ships and burned the town; he left the castle of San Lucido in flames and captured eight hundred people. At Citrero he burned eighteen galleys. Slipping past Naples, he sacked the fishing village of Sperlunga, then landed and struck twelve miles inland in an attempt to seize the beautiful countess of Fondi, Giulia Gonzaga, as a present for the sultan’s harem. When the prize eluded him, the corsairs left Fondi ablaze, massacring many men and seizing all the women and children. Sixty miles away people began to flee Rome. Turning about, Barbarossa burned six imperial galleys under construction at Naples. And then before anyone could catch their breath, the fleet was gone, slipping off south into the blue, edging past smoldering Stromboli for Tunis. He took with him hundreds, perhaps thousands, of captives, a portion of whom he dispatched back to Suleiman in Istanbul (8).

It had been a commanding exercise in terror and revenge, but it was only the start. Hayreddin had his own personal objective on the shores of the Maghreb. On August 16 his flotilla dropped anchor at Tunis and landed his janissaries. The unpopular Arab ruler Muley Hasan abandoned the city without a shot fired. The capture of Tunis doubled Charles’s agitation at a stroke. Situated on the collar of the Maghreb, the city commanded the axis of the whole Mediterranean—the narrow straits, a hundred miles wide, that separate North Africa from Sicily, with Malta sitting midstream. It was just twenty hours’ sailing time to the emperor’s lands. Tunis provided a launchpad for massive raiding, or even the invasion of Sicily - the natural stepping-stone would be to seize Malta from the Knights of Saint John. It was the traditional route into Southern Europe; the Arabs had passed this way into Sicily in the ninth century. Hayreddin’s 'inner voice' had already predicted this move. During his raid on Italy he had been promised the island in a dream. By the end of 1533 the whole of the Western Mediterranean was stark with terror at the exponential threat posed by Barbarossa’s new fleet. Deepening unease gripped the littoral of Spain and Italy. Shipping insurance rates rocketed; coastal towns were refortified and villages abandoned, new chains of watchtowers constructed. Ugo Moncada and the Spanish admiral Álvaro de Bazán tracked every scrap of rumor about Barbarossa’s movements and readied their own galley fleets to scramble at a moment’s notice. 'From the Strait of Messina to that of Gibraltar no one in any part of Europe could eat in peace or go to sleep with any feeling of security,' wrote the Spaniard Sandoval. This was no longer a case of daring pirate raids - it was the incursion of imperial warfare into the heart of the sea (9).

640px-Meeting_of_Francis_I_and_Pope_Clement_VII_in_Marseilles_13_October_1533.jpg

The Final Meeting Between King Francis I of France and Pope Clement VII
The eruption of the War of Habsburg Inheritance could not have happened at a worse time and under worse circumstances than late-1534 Southern Italy. Having been raked multiple times by Barbarossa's fleets, the regions were under enormous pressure from not only the nobility but also the common man. Immediately prior to his departure from Spain in April 1534, Charles had begun the first steps in a complex plan to drive the Ottomans and Süleiman's representative in the region, Hayreddin Barbarossa, from Tunis. This had involved the transfer of dozens of newly-built galleys and transports from Spain to Sicily alongside many thousands of men. Ugo de Moncada and Álvaro de Bazán had been put in charge of securing the approaches to the city, resulting in fierce skirmishes between Hayreddin and Moncada's subordinates, while the army was mustered under the Prince of Pescara in Naples. The death of Emperor Charles and the subsequent civil war in Spain between Portuguese and Bourbon aligned factions would completely and utterly undermine all of the preparations made by the Emperor prior to his death. Fernando d'Avalos had never been particularly hostile towards the French despite his long conflict with them, having largely emerged victorious in most of his clashes, and as a native born-Neapolitan he had more than enough experience with French allies that the prospect of a Franco-Portuguese alliance to save Naples from the coming storm seemed more than worth the cost. Charles de Bourbon and the Prince of Pescara had never had a particularly good relationship, worsened by the leadership struggles following the Fall of Pavia in 1525 and by Charles de Bourbon's abandonment of Italy in the latter half of the latest Italian War. Ugo de Moncada on the other hand had never had a great deal to do with Charles de Bourbon and honestly did not care a great deal one way or the other about him. His hatred of the French was another matter entirely. Having spent three-quarters of a decade in a French prison, when Ugo had emerged it was as an emaciated, half-deranged animal fueled by hatred and rage more than anything else. This had made him a perfect fit for the increasingly militant position as Viceroy of Sicily, personally leading multiple incursions and defeating dozens of barbary Corsairs, and by 1534 it seemed as though he had mostly put the experience behind him. However, the War of Habsburg Inheritance and the Franco-Portuguese alliance which emerged during it turned Ugo firmly against João III of Portugal (10).

The two Viceroys would start fighting each other following a breakdown in relations after Pescara failed, once more, to convince Moncada to accept the Portuguese Avis dynasty. In response to what he viewed as an insult to his honor, Moncada ordered raids on the Neapolitan coastline - which swiftly escalated into all out warfare in late 1534. While the winter weather prevented all but the most risky of ventures across the sea, Pescara made preparations for an invasion of Sicily, having established contact with local nobles extremely worried about the safety of their island under Ugo de Moncada. By early spring 1535, Pescara was ready to act, setting sail alongside a squadron of Genoese ships under Andrea Doria and another squadron out of Toulon. Moncada learned of the assault and was able to muster the Sicilian fleet in time to meet the attack head on at the Battle of Lipari, named for the nearby island north of Sicily. Engaging in a fleet battle of almost 50 galleys, having been amassed to repel the Ottomans and their Corsair subjects, the Battle of Lipari was one of the largest naval encounters of the period up till this point in time. Having assembled in three wings, the allied squadrons under the command of the elderly Andrea Doria were both better armed and maneuverable than the central mass of Sicilian ships under the personal command of Moncada, but were forced to sacrifice much of their speed and maneuverability to defend the mass of transport ships which they were escorting to Sicily. Thus, the allied squadrons were on the back foot from the start. Unleashing hammer blow after hammer blow to the defenders, Moncada's armada rushed into close range with the allies and began a fierce melee. Over the course of the day more than a dozen galleys would be sunk and another dozen lost to the opposing side in an incredible bloodletting which left the seas red, but the allies had succeeded in breaking through and the Neapolitan army under Pescara was able to land at Messina, where the church bells were rung and the dock chains lowered by the exultant locals, who had risen up against the garrison. Ugo de Moncada would escape westward from Lipari, landing at Palermo to conduct a spirited defense. As month after month passed in brutal battle across the length and breadth of Sicily, Pescara transferred an ever larger amount of forces from the mainland. By August 1535, at the Battle of Menfi in south-western Sicily, Ugo de Moncada was finally trapped and cut down with his remaining forces, but the cost had been gruesome and Pescara's efforts to repair the damages to Sicily's defenses would leave Naples open to assault (11).

In the midst of all this bloody chaos, Pope Clement collapsed on the 25th of September 1534 after his mid-day meal. Suspicions of poisoning were immediately considered and the young Vice-Chancellor of the Holy Roman Church and Cardinal-Nephew, Alessandro de' Medici, acted swiftly to hunt down any of his family's enemies who remained in the city. While Pope Clement lay seemingly dying, his nephew was conducting a bloody purge which on occasion seemed more intent on enriching the young man and remove his own enemies than anything like an actual investigation. Slowly, over the course of the winter of 1534-35 as more and more bad news from the south streamed into the Vatican, it seemed as though Pope Clement was recovering, moving rapidly to exploit the actions of his nephew to strengthen his family's grip on power by settling further diocese and papal offices on the young Alessandro and other loyal supporters, but then, during the early days of the new year, Pope Clement's health went into sudden terminal decline. Pope Clement VII, Supreme Pontiff of the most Holy Roman Catholic Church, passed away in his sleep on the 8th of January 1535 (12). Alessandro and the cardinals loyal to his family, numbering some 15 out of the current 50, immediately began preparations for the coming Papal Conclave, securing what positions they could and doling out titles, honors and diocese as secretively as possible - amongst the gains, Alessandro took up the title of Gonfalonier of the Holy Church. The wait for a successor to Pope Clement would prove worryingly long given the political situation, but King Francis and the French cardinals refused to move forward before Cardinal Wolsey could arrive. Cardinal Thomas Wolsey would learn of Clement's death almost two months after it first occurred and immediately began preparations for the move to Rome, where he fully expected to take up rule as Pope. By early March he was ready to depart, taking leave of his old friend and protégé King Henry VIII at Dover, sailing across the strait to a rapturous welcome at Calais. He would pass southward from there, visiting Paris for a week to confer with King Francis, before continuing his travels south. However, throughout this arduous journey the sixty-one year old Cardinal seemed to grow steadily weaker. His arrival in Rome would shock the conclave, looking more dead than alive, the Cardinal Wolsey had arrived at the Holy See to secure his long-held dream and ambition of taking the Papal Tiara. The Papal Conclave of April 1535 would last a little under a day, with Cardinal Thomas Wolsey elected pope without any great difficulty. On the 5th of April 1535 Thomas Wolsey was crowned Bishop of Rome and Supreme Pontiff of the Holy Roman Catholic Church as Pope Adrian VII, named after the only other English Pope. However, even before he was crowned it had become clear that Adrian did not have many days left to live, leading most of the cardinals to remain within a day's ride of Rome for the next month. Then, on the 7th of May 1535, a month and two days after taking the throne, Pope Adrian VII collapsed - dying just before midnight. This would leave Adrian VII with the dubious achievement of holding the shortest reign of any pope in history, surpassing the previous holder of the title Benedict V by a day. This sad conclusion to an illustrious career would prove more important than anything that happened during his reign because his death left the succession in complete uncertainty (13).

Allessandro-the-moor.jpg
Card_Francois_de_Tournon.jpg

Cardinals Alessandro de' Medici and Francois de Tournon
The Papal Conclave of June 1535 would prove to be far more contentious than the one held a little under two months earlier. Assembling 44 cardinals in all, more than a dozen cardinals from France and Iberia making their way to Rome in time for the deliberations, the conclave went through its first round of voting with little coordination outside the Medici faction surrounding Alessandro de' Medici. When Alessandro emerged as the front-runner for the Papacy with 18 votes it sent shockwaves through the conclave. Yet another Medici pope was considered completely unacceptable by just about every faction of the conclave. Furthermore, the idea that a twenty-five year old snake like Alessandro might take the papal throne was wholly unacceptable. His vicious purge of the Holy City in the last months of his uncle's reign had not endeared him in the slightest to many of the cardinals, some of whom had lost family members in the crackdown. The other cardinals were therefore able to rally around the cry of 'Anyone but the Cardinal de' Medici' and the next ballot saw his position weaken, falling to the 15 votes which made up his secure block of votes. With Alessandro's prospects of taking the papal tiara next to nil, the focus shifted to other candidates, with the emergence of three major blocks outside the Medici. Cardinal Juan Álvarez de Toledo found himself the darling of the Iberian cardinals, gaining 6 votes therefrom and another 3 from southern Italy. Cardinal Francois de Tournon in the meanwhile emerged as the favored French candidate with 10 votes almost exclusively from France itself, while the Cardinal-Dean Alessandro Farnese emerged as the favored native-born Italian candidate, with 10 votes from Italy and Sicily. Over the course of the next dozen rounds of voting the near equal split four ways remained in place, though only the block around Alessandro de' Medici remained firmly in position behind him through vote after vote - most either tied by blood, loyalty or fear to the young Cardinal-Bishop. Farnese offered his support to both of the other candidates in return for major concessions, but the problem remained that as long as the Medici block voted collectively for Alessandro it would require the three other factions to agree on a single candidate, something that proved impossible in the face of both de Toledo and Tournon's ambitions. As June and July passed, the divide became ever more bitter, with Alessandro holding out in the hopes that the other candidates would eventually give up in frustration and allow him to secure the papal throne. It was news of Ottoman landings in Puglia which would finally break the deadlock (14).

Sultan Süleiman embarked on his Italian Campaign in early May 1535 aimed at conquering Rome for the glory of Islam and the Kayser-i Rum, marching from Istanbul and collecting major forces as he moved eastward through Rumelia. Süleiman arrived at Avlonya on the Adriatic Coast, across from the heel of Italy, with an army numbering almost 200,000 men - assembled from across the Empire, with some having spent the last year travelling from the most distant corners of the Empire. The army included Turkmen from the east and Mamluks from Egypt, Tartars from the northern plains, infantry from across the Balkans from Wallachian axe bearers to Serbian and Bosnian infantrymen. In addition to all of these men, Süleiman brought with him the full Kapikolu Guard, from Janissaries to Sipahis, and the assembled Turkish might of Anatolia. This was the largest army yet assembled during Süleiman's reign and was designed to utterly overawe the fractured resistance in Italy. At Avlonya he was met by the assembled Ottoman fleet under Hayreddin Barbarossa, which would shield the coming crossing. Having swept the surrounding seas for all enemy forces, the Ottomans began crossing the strait on the 22nd of July 1535 and landed at Otranto, which had been captured by Barbarossa the preceding month. It would take more than a week to transfer the entire force, with constant supply trains running across the strait to keep the army fed and well-armed. However, the crossing had been successful and Süleiman immediately began moving to subjugate Italy. Lecce fell in a bloody sack, the walls stormed after the defenders refused to surrender and convert. This was followed in the following month by Brindisi, Mesagne and Manduria before the Siege of Taranto was initiated. Süleiman would leave behind 25,000 men to undertake the siege while moving ever onward, rapidly securing Monopoli, Bari and Altamura before local resistance could begin to martial. From the moment of their landing, the Tartars and Turkoman raiders had been given free rein to terrorize the countryside, conducting major raids as far afield as Benevento, Campobasso and San Servo, causing a panic-stricken exodus across southern and central Italy (15).

News of the Ottoman invasion of Italy and reported sightings of Tartar raiders on the outskirts of Rome sent the Papal Conclave into a panicked tizzy. Realizing that his continued obstructionism would now likely lead to the collapse of his faction, Alessandro reached out to the man he thought would prove most useful not only for him and his family - but for the church as a whole. Alessandro therefore began negotiations with Cardinal Francois de Tournon in an effort to secure French support against the Ottoman invasion and to secure his own place at the top of the Church, particularly in France given the threat of the Ottomans. Thus, Alessandro was able to secure the promise that he would receive Tournon's Archdiocese of Bourges, secured his questionable claim to the post of Gonfalonier of the Holy Church and most importantly ensured that he would retain the Vice-Chancellorship for the duration of Tournon's reign. The Election of Francois de Tournon, the first French pope since Gregory XI and the end of the Avignon Papacy, would mark a turning point in the history of the Roman Catholic Church and a decisive shift away from the Renaissance Church of the past. Tournon would take the regnal name Benedict XIII and immediately set about the enacting the first in a long row of edicts which would come to characterize his long and active reign. Calling on all Catholics to aid against the encroaching Turk, Benedict would form the Holy League with King Francis I of France, King João III of Iberia, the newly ascended Ercole II d'Este of Ferarra, Ippolito de' Medici of Florence, Giovanni de' Medici of Urbino and a whole host of others. However, it would take a long time for the League to muster its forces to repel the Ottoman invasion and in the meanwhile Benedict and his cardinals were left in a vulnerable (16). Benedict himself refused to abandon the Holy City so long as the Sultan remained in Italy, but the Papal Archives, much of the Holy See's wealth and its administration would quietly but rapidly find itself transferred to safety at Avignon under the loving care of the Archbishop of Avignon, Alessandro de' Medici, who brought with him most of his family's riches from Rome itself - selling many of the estates and palaces held by the family in the city and transferring that wealth to France. He would bring many of the prominent artists he and his family had patronized with him, most importantly Michelangelo who was forced to abandon his half-finished Fresco The Last Judgement when Alessandro moved to Avignon permanently. Here at Avignon Michelangelo would reach the heights of his career, designing not just a major expansion and modernization of the old Avignon Cathedral, but designing the immense and sprawling Medici Palace which Alessandro would order constructed to house himself and his household in splendor rivaling, and in some cases surpassing, King Francis' efforts at Fontainebleau, and modernizing the Palais des Papes in preparation for the arrival of Pope Benedict. Michelangelo would form a school of artists and architects around him at Avignon known as the Ecole de' Medici for their great patron and which would often compete with the Ecole de Fontainebleau established at the royal court. The exodus of artists and artisans from Italy over the coming years would lead to the spread and transfer of the Renaissance across Europe (17).

640px-Barbarossa_fleet_wintering_in_Toulon_1543.jpg

Hayreddin Barbarossa's Fleet at anchor at Salerno
Fernando d'Avalos, the Prince of Pescara learned of the Ottoman Assault a week after Ugo de Moncada had finally been defeated - prompting a rushed return to Naples. The Neapolitan fleet set sail for Salerno, departing Palermo with three-quarters of the army while the newly arrived Duke of Alba took up command in Sicily, with plans for a crossing into Calabria the moment the forces were available. Pescara arrived at Salerno to reports that Andria and Taranto had fallen to the Ottomans and that Süleiman had dispatched a force of ten thousand to sweep the Basilicata before the assault on Naples itself. Pescara immediately set out to blunt the Ottoman assault, planning to slow them long enough for support to arrive from the wider League. Skirmishes around Potenza between Tartar raiders and Pescara's outriders alerted the Ottoman force in the region to Pescara's presence, leading them to launch a direct assault on his forces. The Battle of Potenza would be the first in a string of victorious which would slow the Ottoman advance and awaken the hope of Italy to their ability to resist the invaders. Battles at Avigliano and Melfi followed, as Pescara moved to shield the approaches to Salerno and Naples while filling the defenses of Salerno to recreate his successful campaigns against the French. Süleiman finally turned his main force westward, having secured Barletta and Foggia, and marched to crush this symbol of resistance. The rugged terrain at the Battles of Lacedonia and Vallata would allow Pescara to slow the Ottomans, while reinforcements from Lazio and Campania trickled southward to reinforce his army, but Pescara would be dealt a stinging defeat at Bisaccia in the first encounter between Italian troops and Kapikolu Sipahis, with the veteran household guards crushing any resistance they encountered. Sent into retreat, Pescara was forced to prioritize a continued connection with his allies to the north over his favored position at Salerno and as a result took the northern route through the Campanian Apennines with the Ottomans hot on his heels. By October 1535, Pescara had successfully delivered three successful victories around the town of Avellino, but was eventually forced into retreat, emerging north of the Apennines and with Naples his rear. Salerno meanwhile came under immense pressure when Süleiman detailed 30,000 men to capturing the city and its environs - a task they had set about with gusto, having broken through the eastern gap and threatening Salerno itself by early November (18).

Leaving several squadrons to defend the crossing to Naples under Dragut Reis, Hayreddin Barbarossa set sail for Tunis in early August where an army had been prepared for the second half of the planned Italian Invasion. While the Duke of Alba and his forces had been escorted by a squadron of 8 galleys to Sicily, they proved far too little to resist the oncoming onslaught, being overwhelmed and destroyed at the Battle of Favignana, whereupon Hayreddin Barbarossa landed a force of 20,000 at Marsala - overrunning its defenses and capturing the city with his customary guile and cruelty. However, having landed the force, he was forced to set sail on Süleiman's orders, leaving the army under the command of Hürrem Sultan's protégé, Rüstem Pasha Opuković, a man on the rise whose patroness saw him as not only a potential replacement for her loathed rival Ibrahim Pasha but also as a potential consort to her daughter Mihrimah Sultan - Süleiman's favorite daughter, and had sponsored his command of the Sicilian Invasion. Hayreddin next set sail for Salerno at the expedited orders of Süleiman himself, the Sultan having determined that he needed a competent hand to ensure this potential bolt hole could be secured for the Ottoman Empire. What followed was the Battle of the Gulf of Salerno, between Barbarossa's fleet of 150 and the assembled League fleet under Andrea Doria numbering some 140 ships. The cataclysmic battle that followed set the entire gulf on fire and, with the wind at the Ottoman's backs, the Ottomans swept through the League forces with a vengeance. Dozens of ships were sunk and as many boarded in the intense fighting that followed, however with winter closing in and the weather highly unstable the two sides were able to disengage after three days of bloodletting, the League fleet retreating northward in defeat. Hayreddin Barbarossa took up landward command as well and began a fierce campaign which culminated in the fall of Amalfi and Salerno to his forces. The Ottoman fleet would spend the winter of 1535-36 in the harbors of the Gulf of Salerno with Hayreddin ruling from Salerno itself. Thousands were subjugated and enslaved while many thousands more were driven into exile by the Turkish assault, often losing everything in the process. However, despite the Ottoman successes, there was hope - for the French armies had successfully crossed the Alps in late 1535 and were rushing southward to relieve the beleaguered Prince of Pescara (19).

When Süleiman emerged from the Campanian Apennines onto the lowlands around Vesuvius, Pescara was growing increasingly desperate. Castellammare di Stabia fell to a detachment of tartar raiders when the garrison surrendered in terror of the coming storm and Süleiman was therefore able to turn his 100,000 strong army on Naples - the remaining 100,000 having dispersed across southern Italy to begin consolidating the Ottoman gains, securing supply lines and ensuring that the army would be able to make it through the coming winter without starving. Pescara decided that getting trapped within Naples would spell the doom of a Naples free of the Turks and as such martialed what forces he could, leaving a strong garrison in Naples itself, and set out to punish the Turks for their assaults. The Battle of Marigliano would be the last in Fernando d'Avalos storied career. Bringing almost 20,000 men to bear against the exhausted Ottoman forces, Pescara succeeded in driving headlong into the mass of Ottoman conscripts which made up the center - driving them back with push-of-pike and ferocious arquebus fire, but when the Ottoman center seemed on the verge of collapse after more than three hours of constant battle, Süleiman sent in the Janissary Corps. Advancing under a withering rain of gunfire, the Janissary's assault went through the Neapolitans like a knife, tearing the heart from the army in half an hour. The fighting became increasingly bogged down and when Pescara began to contemplate retreat he realized that his army had grown hopelessly mired in the melee. Turning to his cavalry reserve, Pescara personally led the charge which he hoped would shock the Ottomans enough to pull the army out of the fire, but during the charge he was hit by Janissary gunfire and fell from his horse. The cavalry charge dissolved in the face of the intense gunfire which had wounded its leader, and with cries that the general had fallen spreading - the Neapolitan army began to collapse in on itself. After more than five hours of brutal, hand-to-hand fighting the Ottomans had emerged supreme on the battlefield. The Prince of Pescara was discovered mortally wounded by Ottoman scavengers and was brought to Süleiman's tent where the Sultan ordered his personal physicians to tend to the brave general. Alas, it would prove for naught. Pescara's wounds would prove too much to bear and he would die two days after the battle. Süleiman would deliver his body with all care to the Holy League, praising his military abilities and bravery in the face of death. The Prince of Pescara's death on the 18th of October 1535 would lead to a complete collapse of the Neapolitan defenses. Süleiman would enter Naples in triumph on the 20th, taking up residence at the Castel Nuovo while his army recovered from the ordeals of the campaign, before setting out for Rome on the 31st of October 1535 (20).

640px-Sziszeki_csata_%281593%29.JPG

The Battle of Tivoli
While Sultan Süleiman and Hayreddin Barbarossa experienced success upon success, the same could not be said for Rüstem Pasha who found himself faced with one of the greatest military commanders of the age, the 3rd Duke of Alba, with a force barely outnumbering the Duke's army. Almost from the moment he landed at Marsala, Rüstem found himself beset by raiders and skirmishers while Fernando de Toledo summoned his forces from across the island. The first major clashes occurred two weeks after the fall of Marsala near the village of Corleone and saw 8,000 Spaniards stave off the assault of almost 14,000 Turkish and Berber troops for half a day before the 1,000 Janissaries committed to the campaign could arrive. The arrival of the Janissaries led Alba to retreat eastward, hoping to draw Rüstem away from Palermo or to trap him between the city's walls and his army. Rüstem followed. Intense battles at Prizzi and Roccapalumba followed, with the Ottoman supply lines finding themselves stretched ever further while raids by Sicilian peasants took on an ever more bitter character, with the attackers surprisingly well armed and trained. Then on the 14th of October 1535, at the Battle of Caltavuturo fought in the heart of Sicily, the Duke of Alba pounced. Having driven the Turks to exhaustion in the rough terrain of central Sicily, he had carefully shepherded the resistance and was fully prepared for the battle to come. Closing off the Ottoman retreat in secret with a force of 1,000 soldiers and more than 2,500 peasant conscripts, he led 16,000 men into battle on the slopes south of Caltavuturo. Hammering them with artillery and gunshot while keeping his forces in a checkerboard formation, Fernando de Toledo would demonstrate the full capacity of the Tercio at its very best. Advancing into a brutal crossfire, the Ottomans found themselves assaulting large blocks of unmovable infantry for more than an hour before Alba gave the order to advance. In a tightly drilled push-of-pike the Ottoman infantry found themselves bowled over, leading a panicked Rüstem Pasha to commit his Janissaries early in the fighting. With the entry of the Ottoman elite, the fighting turned bitterly brutal with neither side willing to give an inch, but in the end there were only 1,000 Janissaries to hold back the tide and as their neighboring units collapsed in a route due to the intensity of the fighting, the Janissaries found themselves outnumbered and outmaneuvered. The Janissaries would go down fighting, while the majority of the Turkish army was corralled together by the men left to hold the path of retreat. Rüstem Pasha would successfully escape the defeat with most of his bodyguard, escaping capture and reaching Marsala on the 3rd of November in ignominious defeat. Marsala was soon put under siege, and Rüstem Pasha decided to abandon the city rather than get trapped when the spring winds brought Spanish reinforcements. Süleiman would learn of the complete failure of the Sicilian Invasion in the new year with dire consequences for the failed commander's future career (21).

When Süleiman set out from Naples to conquer the Eternal City it signified the final campaign of the season, with bad weather slowing the advance precipitously and allowed the French forces to begin arriving around Rome. The League army that began arriving around Rome had been martialing for months, beginning as news began to arrive in Lombardy about the Ottoman Invasion. Commanded by Constable Claude de Guise and containing major contingents from all of the French client states in Italy and a significant force collected during Claude's rush south from his lands in Joinville, mainly from south-eastern France and the Alpine states of Savoy, Saluzzo and Montferrat. Numbering almost 65,000 the army was joined in person by Ercole II of Ferrara, Ippolito of Florence, Giovanni della Banda and his renowned Black Bands from Urbino and almost 20,000 men from Milan. Among the men who marched to battle were Claude's young son and heir Francois who would serve under his father for his first campaign, while Charles de Bourbon-Vendôme, Duke of Vendôme and his sons Antoine and Francois joined the army. The fatal collision which would bring the campaigning season to a close would happen east of Rome in the picturesque hills around Tivoli beginning on the 13th of December 1535 (22).

The Battle of Tivoli would turn out to be a bloody slog which stretched over more than two days and left tens of thousands of casualties in its wake. The initial Tartar raiders were driven into retreat in a series of skirmishes mostly commanded by the experienced Francois de Bourbon, before he was brought to an abrupt halt by a company of elite Sipahis. The main Ottoman force began arriving next on the field, meeting tough resistance from Swiss and Italian mercenaries but succeeding in driving them backward. This prompted a fierce charge by the Duke of Vendôme which successfully brought the Turks to a halt before a company of Mamluks succeeded in pulling a good portion of the Duke's cavalry after them, most importantly the Duke's eldest son Antoine himself, who was subsequently killed when the Mamluks led their pursuers into an ambush with fully rested Sipahis who tore through the exhausted French cavaliers with little difficulty. The Duke would learn of the loss of his heir at the end of the day, tearing his hair out in grief and ordering his surviving son Francois to the reserve for the remainder of the battle. After a day of fighting the two sides retreated to defensive positions as both armies prepared to bring their entire force to bear against the other (23). The second day of fighting allowed both forces to open up with their extensive artillery contingent, with a bombardment of more than 150 cannon in total it was the largest artillery exchange in history and saw thousands killed. Both armies advanced, beginning hours of close-quarters combat between Turkish levies and League mercenaries. The arquebus fire from the League forces proved incredibly effective in driving back the poorly armed Ottoman forces but as the fighting entered its third and fourth hours the Christians began to tire. A major cavalry charge on the Turkish left was ground to a halt by the furious Duke of Vendôme who tore his opposition to pieces but took numerous wounds in the fighting. He would pass away from his wounds later that day after declaring his son Francois as heir and passing over command to the young man. Süleiman next ordered the Janissaries onto the field, prompting chaos as they tore into the League infantry, sending them sprawling and on the edge of retreat. Claude now turned to the one force which could turn the tide - the Black Bands. Launching themselves directly at the Janissaries, the two most elite fighting forces in Europe clashed for the first and last time. With the Janissaries brought to a standstill by the Black Bands, Claude de Guise called on his own household troops and vassals - kept in reserve until now, and launched a frontal assault on the very edge of the central melee surrounding the Janissaries and the Black Band, which cracked the Ottoman frontline. Süleiman now saw that his army was on the edge of disaster and called on the Kapikolu Sipahis and took the field himself. This final clash would see the Black Band and their commander Giovanni de' Medici killed, but led to the decimation of the Janissary Corps and many thousands of dead Turkish levies. Süleiman's desperate charge succeeded in saving his army, forcing the two armies to disengage, but Süleiman had been clearly defeated. His retreat south to Naples would turn into a horrid slog with sickness and disease tearing through the retreating army, Süleiman finally returning to Naples with half the numbers he had set off with in October. Claude de Guise would settle into the defenses around Rome while caring for the massive losses taken at the Battle of Tivoli, numbering some 20,000 after the walking wounded had been allowed to recover, and called for King Francis to dispatch reinforcements to hold back the Ottoman war machine which was certain to start up again the next year (24). It would, however, not be on land where the first battle of 1536 would take place but rather at the Otranto Straits.

After intense lobbying by the Papacy and the King of France, the Venetians finally bowed to the pressure and signed onto the Holy League. Setting out with much of their galley fleet in early February, hoping to catch the Turks by surprise and crushing their supply fleet, the Venetians rose out of the darkness on the 17th of February 1536. They ran into the fully prepared squadron commanded by the relatively unknown Dragut Reis in the man's first major command. Dragut Reis had seeded the entire Dalmatian Coast with spies and learned of the Venetian departure before they left harbor. Thus, when the Venetians attacked he was more than ready, having dispatched a third of his squadron to attack the Venetians from the rear while engaging the League force directly in person. This surprise assault from the rear devastated the Venetians, causing the loss of half a dozen galleys before the Captain General was able to order a retreat. Over the course of the following three day pursuit another five galleys were overwhelmed, three Venetian galleys making it to safety in the Split Harbor. The victory at the Battle of Otranto Straits would propel Dragut Reis to the top of the heap among the Barbary Corsairs and bring him to the personal attention of Sultan Süleiman (25).

Summary:

Hayreddin Barbarossa rebuilds the Ottoman Fleet. Süleiman turns firmly against the Venetians in the hopes of opening the path to Italy.

After a rapid and victorious war against the Venetians, Hayreddin Barbarossa goes on a tear across the Mediterranean.

While Pescara and Moncada go to war, with Pescara emerging victorious, Pope Clement dies quickly followed by his successor, Adrian VII formerly known as Thomas Wolsey.

After a tense conclave, from which Alessandro de' Medici emerges far richer, Pope Benedict is elected Pope. This is prompted by Sultan Süleiman's invasion of Naples.

An Invasion of Sicily is undertaken while Pescara's spirited defense of Naples comes to an end at the Battle of Marigliano

The Invasion of Sicily ends in failure against the Duke of Alba while Claude de Guise defeats Süleiman at the massive Battle of Tivoli. A Venetian attempt at the Straits of Otranto following their entry into the war ends in disaster against Dragut Reis.

Footnotes:

(1) This is more than half a decade earlier than Süleiman's OTL shift in focus to the Mediterranean and is a direct result of not only the changed circumstances in the northern Balkans, where a somewhat stable status quo has been found for the time being, but also the much weaker position the Spanish are in with regards to Naples and Italy in general. IOTL Süleiman made plans for an invasion of Italy but eventually found them stymied due to the coordinated resistance of the peninsula under the Imperial Crown. ITTL Italy is deeply split and on the razor's edge, making it a much more tempting target early on.

(2) All of this is happening two-three years earlier than IOTL but is otherwise completely based on events IOTL. Hayreddin Barbarossa literally created one of the greatest fleets and a major fleet tradition out of next to nothing in a year. He is such a fascinating figure in many ways. I really enjoy sharing characters like this who are all OTL and yet have such novelistic personalities. This would really be the ideal period to write major historical fiction books in, there is so much happening and there are so many interesting people wandering about at the time. If you went back half a decade prior to the PoD you could have conversations with Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolò Machiavelli, and over the course of the next half century you would be able to meet some of the most fascinating personalities in human history. Just look at the obsession the Anglosphere has with Henry VIII or the French with Francis I, or the Spanish with Phillip II.

(3) IOTL this campaign was to defeat the Persians who had become allied to the Holy Roman Empire, but since none of those negotiations took place ITTL that specific cause for war is not present and Süleiman remains focused on the west. This campaign is almost half a decade earlier than the OTL Third Ottoman-Venetian War and is very clearly provoked by Süleiman this time around - having become convinced that the Venetian position is weak enough to push over without too much difficulty.

(4) This is again all from OTL.

(5) Here we see a major divergence from IOTL. With the Mediterranean focus coming so much earlier, Ibrahim Pasha isn't in as vulnerable a position and is able to retain Süleiman's trust by supporting the shift fully. This saves him from Hürrem Sultan for the time being, but he now finds his position in far more danger and is increasingly aware of how many enemies he has made. The shadow war between Hürrem Sultan and Ibrahim Pasha has formally begun, but this time Ibrahim gives as much as he gets.

(6) Corfu sits on the direct line from the Balkans to Puglia in southern Italy, with it under Venetian control - as with many of their Dalmatian and Albanian ports - the Ottomans are unable to act fully in Italy. A very important difference from the OTL Siege of Corfu is the fact that the castle has not been modified and modernized yet. IOTL it went through one of the most extensive fortification efforts of the period in the mid 1530s, resulting in it being an almost impregnable fortress when the Ottomans finally began their siege in 1537. Here the medieval fortifications swiftly begin to crumble under a concentrated assault.

(7) The Venetians really get stomped this time around, but succeed in making it out before the Ottoman's could completely destroy their positions. This is a really important development because the Ottomans now have a direct springboard to Puglia. It is now only a question of when, not if, the Ottomans invade.

(8) These are all OTL raids. It is honestly amazing that you don't see more mention of the damage done by the Barbary Corsairs in historical narratives focused on Europe. The massive number of slaves taken, people killed and cities broken honestly shocked me when I first saw it. This is now a full-scale war for control of the Mediterranean at an unprecedented scale. There had never really been a battle between two powers as strong as Spain and the Ottoman Empire fought primarily at sea before this. Fighting from the Syrian coast to the Pillars of Hercules are now underway.

(9) The Fall of Tunis is OTL and provoked Emperor Charles V to personally lead a major fleet to the city to retake it. However, as we saw two updates ago Charles is no longer around to deal with it. Part of Charles' reasoning for returning to the Empire in mid-1534 was to see if he couldn't get Anne pregnant with a son so that he could set off with a fleet to combat this assault. IOTL Tunis fell in late 1534 while Charles' campaign occurred in 1535. This is a major red line and is the reason why Charles transferred so many resources eastward to Naples and Sicily.

(10) This is mostly an attempt at explaining in more detail why certain figures supported one side or another and why they would be willing to fight each other at this vital point in time. Quite simply, Ugo is not rational. He would rather the world drown in blood than work with the French and proves completely resistant to any attempts at talking him around. This soon provokes a conflict at the worst possible time, as we will soon see.

(11) This is really the last possible moment for all of this to happen. This struggle is incredibly bitter but demonstrates the potential for the Franco-Iberian alliance. However, all of this fighting will soon prove to be for naught, for the Turks are coming.

(12) IOTL Clement died on the 25th of September 1534 under suspicions of poisoning, though likely of natural causes. Here whatever killed him IOTL incapacitates him instead. Clement has not had anything like as stressful like as he had IOTL and is therefore in better health, surviving this first attack. However, he fades over the next several months and eventually passes away. At the same time we see Alessandro de' Medici really come into his own in this update. He is murderous, imperious, terrifying and incredibly avaricious - much as he showed himself IOTL as Duke of Florence - but he is also incredibly charismatic, talented and loyal to his family. Ever since I learned of Alessandro I have wondered what would have happened if Clement went with the original plan and put Alessandro into the church. He seems to have been far more suited to the most Machiavellian parts of the Renaissance church than his cousin Ippolito who always came across to me as not incredibly bright. Alessandro is clever, brutal and ruthless, able to maneuver in a snake pit like 16th century Florence with significant success despite everyone hating him. IOTL he finally got a bit too careless and was stabbed to death by a cousin, but here I can have him participate on a much grander stage for far longer. Keep in mind, his sister is married to the Duke of Orléans and he has almost as many benefices as the Guise and Lorraine Cardinals of OTL.

(13) I really think that Wolsey becoming Pope is something that he deserves, but I couldn't keep him around at this point so he gets his moment in the sun but is then quickly shuffled off. I hope you can all forgive me. That said, everything is now up in the air. Who will succeed Adrian VII (I doubt that name will see too much use in the future given the rather short reign enjoyed by the last couple of popes to hold the name)? This is all so much fun.

(14) I have not been able to find all that much information about de Toledo personally beyond his family ties, but those are quite important here. Juan Álvarez de Toledo in the uncle of Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, the 3rd Duke of Alba and one of the most important Spanish supporters of the Portuguese reign. As such, in an effort to reconcile his new subjects with his rule, João supports Toledo's bid for power. The circumstances of this conclave are very different from the OTL Conclave, most importantly because of the complete lack of Imperial cardinals at the conclave, most of whom have either converted to the Imperial Church or are too deeply enmeshed in the War of Habsburg Inheritance which is nearing its height in Germany at this point in time. IOTL Farnese won the title after Ippolito de' Medici threw his support behind him. Farnese was considered a neutral candidate by the Imperial and French factions and therefore was acceptable to both. Here the French are stronger and the Medici are led by one of the most ambitious, ruthless and cunning members their family has ever produced. The fact that Alessandro got within five votes of becoming Pope at the age of 25 should really be demonstrative of his talents. Francois de Tournon was a French Augustinian monk, Archbishop, diplomat, courtier, and Cardinal. From 1536 he was also a military supply officer of French forces operating in Provence, Savoy and Piedmont. In the same year he founded the Collège de Tournon. For a period he was effectively France's foreign minister. He was a prominent leader in the fight against Lutheranism and Calvinism, especially at the Royal Court, and what he perceived as the growing Huguenot menace both in doctrine and social order. He took a prominent role in the Estates General of 1560, the Colloquy of Poissy of 1562, and the Colloquy of Saint-Germain. He took part in the papal Conclaves of 1534, 1549, and 1559. As such he is considered the perfect candidate by the French Court.

(15) This is another course of event I have wanted to explore for quite a long time now. The idea of the Ottomans making an actual attempt at Rome just seems so fascinating particularly given the fact that the Ottoman court made dozens of plans to accomplish exactly that. What prevented an Italian campaign IOTL was the continued Venetian control over Corfu which allowed them to interdict all trade across the southern Adriatic. IOTL they tried to take Tunis as preparation for a Sicilian campaign as well, but Charles V acted swiftly to end those attempts. Süleiman was increasingly distracted with Persia thereafter and any plans for Italy came to naught. Here we actually get to explore what the potential ramifications of the Turks invading Italy might be. By the way, Avlonya was the Ottoman name for modern Vlorë in Albania.

(16) I have to say, I am really enjoying Alessandro de' Medici ITTL. Despite what could be considered the gravest threat to the Holy Roman Church since the Sack of Rome by the Vandals, he continues trying to amass further resources and riches. The Archbishopric of Bourges is quite close to Orléans where Alessandro's brother-in-law is Duke. Francois de Tournon's tenure as Pope will be very interesting particularly because he was quite long-lived IOTL and so clearly an active and dedicated man. I really look forward to exploring the developments within the Catholic Church a lot more. That said, we now see the beginning of the war which will be alternately known as the Italian War of 1535-15?? and The War of the Holy League or the War of the League of Rome where the various cardinals signed under the charter enjoining their rulers to join the war against the Ottomans.

(17) This is yet another example of Alessandro being a devious little snake, seeing the writing on the wall and abandoning Italy for the far more stable and increasingly powerful French Kingdom. The rise of Avignon as center of the Roman Administration puts him squarely at the center of power. As Archbishop of Avignon he basically has authority over the entire endeavor and ensures that the church apparatus is filled with his supporters. That said, Alessandro had a quite keen eye for talent and is able to cultivate a host of skilled followers. The prominence of Florentine clergy in the administration does not sit very well with the French, who view these developments as a threat to the Gallican Church, but many agree that it is better to reduce the importance of Rome to the running of the church given the threat posed by the Ottomans. The arrival the Ecole de Medici to Avignon begins a period of intense buildup, with many of the city's palaces having fallen out of use and of a more medieval bent than most of the cardinals are used to. Michelangelo's Medici Palace and Avignon Cathedral will prove to be the crowning jewels of his career. The Renaissance truly comes to Europe now.

(18) Pescara is in a fantastically difficult position here, fighting an invasion force which outnumbers his own army ten times over. Süleiman regularly dispatches forces the size of Pescara's own army on various divergent tasks, but the main force remains far too large to truly defeat for Pescara. That said, he does a fantastic job holding back the Ottomans and buying time for reinforcements to arrive. Giovanni della Banda has been named Captain General of the Holy Church and is martialing and army with forces from across Tuscany and the Papal States, while to the north the French are martialing a Lombard army under Claude de Guise, incorporating the Este of Ferrara, the Gonzaga of Mantua and many more.

(19) The two most interesting figures mentioned here are Dragut Reis and Rüstem Pasha, the first of whom became Hayreddin Barbarossa's successor as the Mediterranean's bogeyman and the latter of whom became Grand Vizier and one of the most important men in the Empire. IOTL Rüstem's career really took off following Ibrahim Pasha's murder/execution and he was instrumental in turning Süleiman against his oldest son. The invasion of Sicily is important because if the island falls, then the Ottomans will be able to turn their gaze firmly northward. As long as Sicily remains in Christian hands it poses a major threat to Naples and will function as a spring board for attack upon attack.

(20) We say a sad farewell to the Prince of Pescara who has been with us since the beginning. He was an interesting character to play around with and gave me the ability to shape a lot of interesting developments, but I think this is a fitting send off. Naples has now fallen almost completely into Ottoman hands and Süleiman is marching for Rome itself. The tension in the city is sky high and months of preparations are finally coming firmly into focus. The French are also coming ever closer, bringing an army to rival Süleiman's with them. However, no matter what happens this is just the opening skirmish in a much larger conflict which will rage for many years to come.

(21) This defeat is absolutely devastating to Rüstem's political career. It stands out as the only major defeat of the campaigning season and was his first big command. Hürrem Sultan finds herself forced to abandon her patronage of him for the time being, though he will make it through the fall out alive he will have a far longer and harder time reaching the top, and she takes a significant loss of prestige as well. This weakens Hürrem's grip on Süleiman's political decision making for some time, but she remains an immensely important political player. Ibrahim Pasha is preparing for another Dalmatian campaign at this point in time, with Venice soon to enter the Holy League.

(22) These are not forces that are sustainable but they represent everything that anyone in northern Italy and south-eastern France are able to scrape together on short notice. Ercole brings his father's famed artillery to the field while Giovanni della Banda brings his famed Black Band to the field. This is a who's who of Italy's condottieri alongside thousands of Swiss.

(23) Antoine was the OTL King of Navarre and father to OTL's Henri IV of France. Here he dies an early and ignominious death, leaving his far more impressive brother Francois to succeed to the Duchy of Vendôme. The fighting on the first day would under any other circumstances be considered some of the fiercest of the period, but it pales in comparison to what is to follow.

(24) The Black Band is gone, wiped out in the fighting, while the Janissaries have lost 4,000 men - meaning that with the losses taken on Sicily more than half the Janissary Corps has been wiped out. They find themselves recalled to Istanbul with Süleiman before the fighting starts up again in Italy where it will take more than half a decade to fully recover from the losses. Claude de Guise has emerged victorious in one of the great battles of the 16th centuries, increasingly famed as one of the greatest commanders in French history. At the same time his son Francois, who IOTL was considered one of the greatest generals of his generation as well, begins his military career with this monster of a battle. The total losses from the Battle of Tivoli number some 50-55,000 men.

(25) The Battle of Otranto Straits secures the Ottoman lifeline into Naples and brings Dragut Reis to the fore, both highly significant events. The Venetians are going to regret this action immensely, but for the time being their participation results in the Holy League being able to put pressure on the Ottoman supply routes and force them to defend the Otranto Straits with significant forces.

Last edited:
Good update, an Ottoman Naples will be fascinating, IMO...

This war sounds like a forerunner to World War I...

Waiting for more, of course...

Oh, yeah, in the paragraph where Cardinal Wosley becomes pope, you need to replace June with April and May for the papal conclave and crowning of Wosley as pope, respectively...

You have something of a knack for describing early modern campaigns and religious developments, it would appear. Great stuff, I'm wholly enjoying it. I never knew how dramatic the threat posed by the OTL Barbary Corsairs were in this period either. Barbarossa is the kind of guy that would honestly be tough to invent whole cloth for seeming too wanky. "Oh yeah and these guys who never had a naval tradition suddenly are fielding enormous fleets and crushing all resistance."

You know what I also somewhat hope about, that thanks to being in southern Italy and having to deal with the major powers of the west consistently in such a way that it causes the Ottoman Empire to keep up in governmental organization, something that didn't really start happening until the mid nineteenth century. In particular by the Jannisaries being consistently bludgeoned enough by major wars to that they don't become the corrupt caste they did IOTL that hamstringed the Ottoman Empire until the 1830's. Now I am hoping for that because I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Ottomans as well as the ERE and would like them to do better than OTL if the timeline takes place after the ERE ends.

Now I've been thinking about something not directly connected to the main campaign but is somewhat similar since it's about the OTL main conquest of Suleiman. Mainly how the future generations think of Lajos ITTL. Now IOTL he's basically forgotten and if not, he isn't thought of very well usually, but ITTL I presume he is thought highly of as he was able to regain a fair bit of the royal power that his father pissed away being incompetent and also enacted the Protestant Reformation in Hungary despite two invasions by the Ottomans (though the first one inadvertadly helped in stabilizing royal power). There for would it be correct to presume ITTL he's in the same league of major and well known monarchs of this era as Henry VIII and Charles V?

Also what is Charles V reputation ITTL since he died with relatively few successes to his name and a massive civil war immediately kicking off as soon as he died?

Last edited:
Well that would certainly distract France from the HRE civil war.

The Ottomans came so close to doing this IOTL it isn’t even funny. The Ottoman-Safavid War’s first campaign really saved Italy from a shellacking IOTL.

An Ottoman Naples? That will make interesting history for centuries to come.

There are a lot of interesting effects of a Turkish presence in Italy and a conflict right at this point in time which will be fun to explore.

Good update, an Ottoman Naples will be fascinating, IMO...

This war sounds like a forerunner to World War I...

Waiting for more, of course...

Oh, yeah, in the paragraph where Cardinal Wosley becomes pope, you need to replace June with April and May for the papal conclave and crowning of Wosley as pope, respectively...

This is more a continuation of the Italian Wars than anything, just a new actor on the block. World War One is so tied up in the time period it is set in and reliant on modern technologies it doesn’t really fit in as comparison. The only thing that really makes them comparable will be their semi-global reach.

You have something of a knack for describing early modern campaigns and religious developments, it would appear. Great stuff, I'm wholly enjoying it. I never knew how dramatic the threat posed by the OTL Barbary Corsairs were in this period either. Barbarossa is the kind of guy that would honestly be tough to invent whole cloth for seeming too wanky. "Oh yeah and these guys who never had a naval tradition suddenly are fielding enormous fleets and crushing all resistance."

I am really happy to hear you say that, I have tried quite hard to get a proper grasp on the period. The Barbary Corsairs were the stuff of nightmares under the right conditions. One author I read compared them to the Spanish Conquistadors in both outlook and role they played in the regions they came from and left for. There are so many larger than life figures among the corsairs that they put the “Golden Age of Piracy” to shame. Both Barbarossa brothers are so much more impressive than even Blackbeard and we’re demonstably more talented, from ship warfare to administration, than any of the early 1700s pirates of the Caribbean. Dragut Reis, Sinan Reis and dozens more were the terror of the Caribbean for centuries. But none compare to Hayreddin “Pull an armada our my ...” Barbarossa.

You know what I also somewhat hope about, that thanks to being in southern Italy and having to deal with the major powers of the west consistently in such a way that it causes the Ottoman Empire to keep up in governmental organization, something that didn't really start happening until the mid nineteenth century. In particular by the Jannisaries being consistently bludgeoned enough by major wars to that they don't become the corrupt caste they did IOTL that hamstringed the Ottoman Empire until the 1830's. Now I am hoping for that because I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Ottomans as well as the ERE and would like them to do better than OTL if the timeline takes place after the ERE ends.

Now I've been thinking about something not directly connected to the main campaign but is somewhat similar since it's about the OTL main conquest of Suleiman. Mainly how the future generations think of Lajos ITTL. Now IOTL he's basically forgotten and if not, he isn't thought of very well usually, but ITTL I presume he is thought highly of as he was able to regain a fair bit of the royal power that his father pissed away being incompetent and also enacted the Protestant Reformation in Hungary despite two invasions by the Ottomans (though the first one inadvertadly helped in stabilizing royal power). There for would it be correct to presume ITTL he's in the same league of major and well known monarchs of this era as Henry VIII and Charles V?

Also what is Charles V reputation ITTL since he died with relatively few successes to his name and a massive civil war immediately kicking off as soon as he died?

The Ottoman Empire will go through a quite different development than OTL. At this point the Janissaries are still some of the best soldiers in the world and are expanding dramatically. That said they will play an important role in the Ottoman Empire regardless of if they end up corrupted or not. I personally really find the Ottomans endlessly fascinating so you can expect to hear much more from them.

Lajos, at least if he can keep on going as he is, will be viewed very positively as protector of Buda and as a strong King. He will hold a position somewhat like his contemporaries.

Charles V will be considered a man out of his league who was dealt a bad hand and was constantly embroiled in crises. It won’t be viewed as his fault, he did all he could, but rather that the situation he was put in was too difficult for anyone but a great leader to resolve. He is viewed as an unlucky rather than inept ruler.

There are a lot of interesting effects of a Turkish presence in Italy and a conflict right at this point in time which will be fun to explore.

Well, I guess that if the Ottoman hold onto Naples, then the Papacy should move back into Avignon as Rome is now exposed too much. Plus, it hasn't been that long since the Papacy moved out of Avignon :closedeyesmile:

I have another question, how large was the Ottoman army at the Battle of Tivoli? I'm able to use the numbers you gave to roughly calculate the Holy League had 85,000 solders (unless I missed something vital) and the Ottomans invaded with 200,000 but unless they brought in the entirety of that force into the battle we don't know how many ottoman solders died besides the Janissaries from both the battle and the march back. So what was the size of that army?

Last edited:
I have another question, how large was the Ottoman army at the Battle of Tivoli? I'm able to use the numbers you gave to roughly calculate the Holy League had 85,000 solders (unless I missed something vital) and the Ottomans invaded with 200,000 but unless they brought in the entirety of that force into the battle we don't know how many ottoman solders died besides the Janissaries. So what was the size of that army?

There were around 100,000 Ottoman troops at Tivoli with some 70,000-80,000 troops scattered across Naples. The Ottomans lost some 7,500-10,000 more men than the League forces.

That is a lot of troops in a single battle. The losses from that battle combined with the march (where you said they went down to half the original number) combined with the decimation of the Janissaries will certainly help the French keep up. Though with the straits open the Ottoman Empire will certainly send more troops from the empire to bolster the invasion force when it becomes possible. Naples is far easier to logistically supply than Hungary from Constantinople after all.

Also I imagine the Victory of Tivoli is going to be reacted to in the same way as the defeat of the Siege of Vienna was IOTL in Europe, even if it didn't end the war with how important a victory it was.

That is a lot of troops in a single battle. The losses from that battle combined with the march (where you said they went down to half the original number) combined with the decimation of the Janissaries will certainly help the French keep up. Though with the straits open the Ottoman Empire will certainly send more troops from the empire to bolster the invasion force when it becomes possible. Naples is far easier to logistically supply than Hungary from Constantinople after all.

Also I imagine the Victory of Tivoli is going to be reacted to in the same way as the defeat of the Siege of Vienna was IOTL in Europe, even if it didn't end the war with how important a victory it was.

You are basically right on all points, the most important losses are those taken by the Janissaries, which really set back the Ottomans for quite some time. Keep in mind that the losses on the March north include all the forces detached to consolidate the Ottoman hold on Naples. The Battle of Tivoli raises Claude de Guise’s prestige to unprecedented heights which, when combined with his family’s close ties to not only the Dauphin but also to the Empire in general - something that will come up later - makes them a target for courtly intrigues and anti-Imperial sentiment.