The Union Forever: A TL

Here is a map of the Great War Belligerents as of March 1, 1910.

The Entente Impériale is in blue. The Coalition of Free Nations is in red. Entente gains are in light blue. Coaltion gains are in light red.

Belligerent Map 2.06.png

that was an amazing update but I have to wonder as to why did America attack Bavaria it only declared war against France not any of the other members of the entente

that was an amazing update but I have to wonder as to why did America attack Bavaria it only declared war against France not any of the other members of the entente

maybe the French forced it's allies to declare war on the US? or maybe the US just considered Bavaria part of France for the purposes of their offensive?

maybe the French forced it's allies to declare war on the US? or maybe the US just considered Bavaria part of France for the purposes of their offensive?

Good question. The United States initially only declared war on the French Empire on March 8, 1909. Once American forces landed in Prussia the realities on the ground necessitated the declaration of war against the, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the Kingdoms of Bavaria and Württemberg, and the Duchy of Baden in June, 1909. The United States declared war against the remaining Entente power, the Sublime Ottoman State, on August 2, 1909.

The Great War: Austira-Hungary March - June, 1910
The Fall of the House of Hapsburg

March - June, 1910

soldiers_01.jpg

Wounded Prussian and American troops during the Austrian Campaign
June, 1910​

No Way Out

By March of 1910, with roughly half of their territory now under the control of the Coalition, the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy was desperately looking for a way to exit the war. The empire was coming undone at the seams. Transylvania, Galicia, and most of Hungry, were now in the hands of the Russians or their allies. In the south, Slavic rebellions were increasing in intensity as Vienna’s grip on its provinces continued to slip. Using covert channels to disguise his intentions from the French, the 78 year old Emperor Maximilian sent emissaries to the Coalition powers to discuss an Armistice. In exchange for peace, Maximilian would confirm the annexation of Transylvania to Romania, the German speaking parts of Bohemia to Prussia, Galicia to Russia, and parts of northeastern Italy to the Republic of Italy. The remaining Austro-Hungarian territories would stay in the empire under the rule of the Hapsburgs. The deal found considerable support amongst the British, American, and Italians. The Prussians and Russians however disliked the offer. Many in the Prussian government were now determined to build a PanGerman state after the war which would need to include Austria. Russia disliked the offer of an armistice for two reasons. The first being that they would have to withdraw from recently conquered Hungry, and the second that a surviving Austria-Hungry could ally itself with Prussia or Britain against the Russians after the war. As such the proposed armistice fell through and the war continued, and the last chance for the survival of Austria-Hungry passed by.

Swan Song of an Empire

galacia.jpg

Austro-Hungarian artillery in action during the Waag River Offensive
April, 1910

With a diplomatic exit from the war having been rejected, the Austro-Hungarians decided that the only way to negotiate for peace was from a position of strength. Seeing the Russians as the biggest threat to the Empire’s existence, Emperor Maximillian decided to launch an offensive a hundred miles east of Presburg[1] in a last ditch effort to compel the Russians to the negotiating table. Known as the Waag River offensive, an Austro-Hungarian force inflicted over 67,000 casualties in a surprise victory over the overextended Russians in the early days of April, 1910. In the following weeks, the Austro-Hungarians on the eastern front rallied somewhat and were able to shore up the frontline, beating back Russian and Romanian attacks at Székesfehérvár and Mohacs respectively. In order to accomplish these victories however, the Austro-Hungarians were forced to weaken their defenses along the Bavarian border. A gamble which would cost them dearly.

The Invasion of Austria

With the Russian advance stalled in the east, the western members of the Coalition decided to mount an offensive to knock Austria-Hungry out of the war once and for all. Following on the heels of their rapid dash through Bavaria, the Prussian 3rd Army under General Karl von Bülow and the American V Corps under Lt. General Arthur MacArthur Jr. prepared to renew their advance. Starting on May 2, 1910, the Coalition crossed over the Inn River into Austria. Although the vast majority of the Austro-Hungarian army was deployed in the east fighting the Russians, they still managed to bloody the Prussians and Americans at places like the Battle of Linz before being surrounded and overwhelmed. The final action of the Austrian Campaign, the Battle of Vienna, began on June 26, 1910 as the Prussian-American force began to encircle the city. Over the next six days the beleaguered garrison, short on ammunition and food, was forced to fall back until it surrender on July 2, 1909. Emperor Maximilian abdicated the next morning, reportedly stating to his wife Empress Charlotte that “perhaps we should have gone to Mexico after all” a reference to the 1863 French offer to be made Emperor of Mexico. With the Emperor’s abdication and the refusal of his son the Archduke Joseph to carry on the struggle the Austro-Hungarian Empire ceased to exists. On the July 4 victory parade through the streets of Vienna the Pan-German tricolor was raised over Hofburg palace. Legend has it that the American commander, Lt. General MacArthur, led an assembly of Coalition officers in a rousing rendition of the Battle Cry of Freedom in both German and English well into the night.

83780312158432875.gif

The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
1867-1910​

[1] That is the current city of Bratislava

Last edited:
I saw you should give an independent Turkey in the Anatolia and keep some of their land on Thrace and dividng the rest between Greece and Bulgaria, I would saw you should make the Arabian Peninsula all one independent state really and give the British Iraq and Palestine as per OTL and maybe an independent Syria with Lebanon and btw amazing updates I wonder how long will it take to push the French out of Germany all together and I feel sorry for Austria and I wonder what will Russia take from them

As said earlier for Greece a situation like OTL after wwi and the straits declared a demilatarizated zone.
Palestine (with Jordan) and Iraq to UK. Syria and Lebanon in a mandate like status for UK. A Kurdistan independent nation.
The OTL armenian assigned zone here is assigned to Russia
For the OTL Italian and France zone the situation is more complicated, Great Britain can try to extend is rule (and take one of this zone) but even his allies can find this move a little too much, Italy (or Prussia but i don't see too much interested) can still get a little sphere of influence as OTL Antalya so to act as sort balance and buffer between the powers in this case the USA will probably had the OTL France zone for the same reason.

good update, what I'm wondering is what will happen to Africa, and whether or not France will surrender before the fight is brought to their territory.

It's over. It's all over for France. Even Napoleon has to see that by now. With no more real distractions in the east, everyone and their grandmother is going to be heading for Paris. He either sues for peace now, or is crushed by the coalition.

I don't see this ending any better for them than in OTL, though they do seem to have held off Coalition forces for the most part so they could get away with border adjustments, mainly in the Balkans and in Caucasus, also losing Arabia and de jure rule over Egypt.
It depends on what has happened on the Egyptian front(if there is one), the Persian Gulf, the Caucasus Front and the Balkans.
Honestly, I think if the Coalition isn't in Turkish territory by the end of France, there will not be too much dissolution. And by that I mean if the Coalition is in Palestine, well past the frontier in the Caucasus, and up to at least Baghdad in Mesopotamia. This would be the result of war-weariness for the most part, the people see the big bad threat of France, and with it gone, well they will not be too eager to initiate a new campaign "after the war's over"

Here's my thoughts:

North America/South America/Caribbean -

Basically he who occupies gets it (I can't remember if the two French islands up near Newfoundland was turned over to Canada or not, but if still in the US hands I'll imagine they'll turn those over to Canada). France is going to be stripped of its territory here just on the account of denying them naval/sub bases for the rest of eternity. Some territories might be eyed up for independence, but some will just be turned into territories (I could see a US state being formed out of all territories in the Caribbean that they had and acquired).

Pacific -
Philippines should be independent (although with a nice trade deal for the US wouldn't go amiss) with a treaty turning over land for a very nice sized base in Subic Bay (with maybe a treaty for some joint use stuff elsewhere).

Again this is going to come down to he who takes, keeps. So some areas will be taken as territory for the US, UK, NZ, Australia, etc. (Hell maybe Canada even swiped something somewhere!)

Asia/South East Asia -

Colonies are going to swap here. France is going to be stripped of most if not all of their holdings here. The UK is going to be the winner out of this one, but you might see Italy get a small colony (not all of say Indochina, but perhaps Cambodia) as a consolation for their suffering (although their gains are likely to more in the realm of Europe and North Africa.

The Middle East is going to be harder to predict. Russia is going to gain some territory along the Ottoman border in the Caucuses. Some is going to go to the UK (or at least be turned into puppets). I could actually see a rather large rump Ottoman Empire still controlling most of northern modern day Iraq (think Kurdistan), a large chunk of Syria, and Lebanon.

Some parts are going to go independent though.

Africa -

France will likely retain control of Algeria and perhaps a few crap holes that no one else will want, but most are going to be transferred elsewhere. Egypt is one that could go either straight as a colony of the UK or one where they puppetize it, but is ceded control of the canal.

Europe -

Not really going to touch this as others have said what I think here, but one thing is for sure no Wilsonian crappy thoughts of a country for ever ethnicity. The Balkans is going to be a bit of an issue with no Austro-Hungarian Empire, but I'm sure the Alliance will come up with something half-assed appropriate.

Solroc

Banned
Hey everyone, I need some help with the ottomans. What should the postwar middle east going to look like? thanks for the feedback.

Hm, I can see the Ottomans holding on to some more if its European holdings other than just Istanbul. With the Wilsonian 14 Points not into play, I can see a much larger rump Ottoman Empire in the works to keep the Balkans on alert (and I don't see a Greek Constantinople, more like the Ottomans keeping both East AND West Thrace, plus some other European territories if they apply). Asia-wise, the Ottomans will still have Anatolia, maybe they get to keep Syria, Lebanon, and Palestine. That's all I can see them control though, nothing else really (unfortunately, that means Wahhabism will still be around in the Arabia and be the precursor of militant Islam as it was IOTL).