The Union Forever: A TL

It could be possible that the Korean Royal Family is more of a spiritual leader with a strongman ruling the actually "democratic" government.

Whatever happened to the US civil rights movement? Does the army already have a desegregation policy? What about rights for blacks in the rest of the US?

The Civil Rights Movement has been building throughout RTL's Presidency. The Army itself is still segregated, however there are certain units such as the Von Stueben Brigade, and other units (National Guard and Volunteers) from Cuba, Santo Domingo, and Puerto Rico which are integrated. Black's in the rest of America are enlisting enmasse and largely see the Great War as a chance to prove their worth with hopes of gaining greater civil rights after the war. In short, the racial situation is considerably imporved over OTL's.

If I might make a recommendation about the Philippines?

Post war the US should press for its independence with negotiations with Philippine government for a lease (say 99 years) on a large naval/marine base in Subic Bay.

Just my two cents of course.

It could be possible that the Korean Royal Family is more of a spiritual leader with a strongman ruling the actually "democratic" government.

So, like Japan? ;)

If I might make a recommendation about the Philippines?

Post war the US should press for its independence with negotiations with Philippine government for a lease (say 99 years) on a large naval/marine base in Subic Bay.

Just my two cents of course.

I'm supporting this, largely because this is a better outcome than OTL.

I'm supporting this, largely because this is a better outcome than OTL.

Well I'm guessing France had to fight a similar insurgency that the US did in OTL, but I'm wondering if the US had some help from the locals as islands fell relatively quickly. If so this might the genesis of the support for independence. (Not to say the US might not squeeze in a few exceptional trade deals of course!)

The Great War: Coalition of Free Nations August-October 1909
The Coalition of Free Nations

August-October 1909

The London Conference

In late August of 1909, representatives from the Alliance nations meet in London to discuss war aims and a more formal Alliance structure. The major powers included the United States represented by Secretary of State William McKinley, Great Britain by Prime MinisterCampbell-Bannerman, Prussia by Foreign Minister Heinrich von Tschirschky, and Russia by Foreign Minister Alexander Izvolsky. One of the first points agreed upon was that no nation would make a separate peace with any member of the Entente. The second major point agreed upon was that all territorial gains and punitive measures made after the war would be rdiscussed and ratified in a convention held after the war (in much the same way of the Congress of Vienne after the First Napoleonic Wars). Curiously one of the hardest things agreed upon was the name that this alliance should take. Some favored retaining the moniker of “Alliance” as it dated back to the original Prussian-Russian-Italian Alliance from the start of the war. Other’s favored the name “Coalition”, which would ultimately win out, in reference to the historical opposition towards the first French Empire. Still other more exotic names such as “The League” or “The United Nations” were also floated. Regardless, after much debate and compromise on October 2, 1909 a charter was signed under the name of the Coalition of Free Nations by the representatives of Prussia, Russia, the United States, Great Britain, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, and Greece. Charges that not all of the nations should be considered “free” have been levied over the years but at the time the description of the Coalition as an alliance amongst “Free Nations” was an important selling point for the British and American publics.

Mexico and Central America join the Coalition

With the Americas cleared of Entente forces and the Coalition charter singed in London, the United States’ Central American allies flocked to the Coalition banner. The first to join was the Republic of Nicaragua on October 21, 1909. Within weeks the rest of Central America and Haiti had joined the war. Mexico was the last to join, deciding to through its lot in with the Coalition in early December. Although it is fair to say that many of these nations were simple jumping on the Coalition bandwagon with little to offer of gain from participation, Mexico did field an infantry division that distinguished itself on the German front. Mexico’s entry into the war also cemented its position as a dedicated American ally and marked its entry onto the world stage as a respectable middle power.

Collapse of the Brazilian Monarchy

Having ruled Brazil for 85 years the House of Braganza finally fell from power on August 4, 1909 when a military backed Republican coup overthrew Empress Isablea. Although it is true that Brazil had prospered under the monarchy, the Empire's pro-French stance, even after the publication of the Bonaparte-Hanotauz letters had hurt Brazil over the past few years. The Coalition blockade of France had deprived the Empire of Brazil of one of its most important markets. Furthermore, the outbreak of the Great War had dramatically curtailed French aid and investment to Brazil which the Imperial Family had become dependent on. On August 4, the Empress and the rest of the royal family were made to board the ship
Ceres to go to Portugal in exile. Within days the Brazilian General Assembly officially declared the nation a republic under the new name of the Federated States of Brazil. The unexpected fall of the Brazilian monarchy sent shock waves throughout South America, where the pro-French governments of Colombia and Venezuela were struggling to hold onto power, neither of which would survive the year. The collapse of the pro-French governments in South America marked an important turning point in the region where Lain America would democratize and increasingly come under the leadership of the United States.

Empire of Brazil.png

The Empire of Brazil
1822-1909

Last edited:
Here is a map of the Great War Belligerents as of December, 1909.

The Entente Impériale is in blue. The Coalition of Free Nations is in red. Entente gains are in light blue. Coaltion gains are in light red.

Belligerent Map 2.05.png

the axe is really falling on the Entente it surely will not be long until the French and their allies have to call a ceasefire as if they keep on the fighting the allies will enter France for sure, what I think should come next is what is going on in the middle east, I mean is Britain going t try and take Iraq and Palestine and will their be a Balfour declaration ITTL

the axe is really falling on the Entente it surely will not be long until the French and their allies have to call a ceasefire as if they keep on the fighting the allies will enter France for sure,

This brings up the question of what kind of way will the war end. Will the Coalition demand an unconditional surrender or accept an negotiated settlement. I think it would make since for the Coaltion to keep fighting until the Bonapartes are overthrown. Thoughts?

This brings up the question of what kind of way will the war end. Will the Coalition demand an unconditional surrender or accept an negotiated settlement. I think it would make since for the Coaltion to keep fighting until the Bonapartes are overthrown. Thoughts?

Perhaps. What I'm wondering is how are they going to distribute France's colonies. I mean, there's no way that anyone is going to want Britain to have almost complete control of Africa, that is, if the coalition decides to punish France by stripping it of all it's colonies. They will definitely lose their colonies in the Americas, and they will probably go to the United States.

As for the African colonies, I can imagine that they might develope something similar to the Mandate system. Some of the French African colonies might go under American Protectorate/Mandate status, at least if they decide to take away all of Frances colonies. On the other hand, in order to prevent one power from having complete control of Africa, I can imagine the US strongarming the British into lettting France keep some of it's colonies.

America gets all of French new world territories (maybe not the panama canal since its not functioning anymore)

Britian gets some of Frances African colonies and part of the Ottoman Empire.

Prussia gets some german parts of Austria and maybe and annex southern Germany.

Russia gets parts of Austria Hungary

Well if the people of France are aware of how bad the war is going, then I believe the process of overthrowing Napoleon will be sped up dramatically, (hopefully by monarchists :D ) and he'll be overthrown before the damage to France is irreparable. As for France's colonies, I can image that they'll keep some, but it would be determined upon how far ahead the Coalition is thinking. I'm not sure if they'll want to take a "stop them down so they'll never get up" approach, but if they do then France will really be looking for revenge. Still, if they don't, I can still see the French somewhat eager for revenge (a parallel of the revanchism from 1871-1918) and be coerced into another war by another nation, perhaps a former Coalition member looking for revenge after being "unjustly treated" at the peace conference, like OTL Italy.

Either way, I'm anxious!

That seems to be the most historically parallel idea. The problem of course, is who would replace Napoleon IV - Prussia and Russia would be more likely to support a monarchy, the USA would be glad to see another republic, and Britain could waffle between the two. ;)

Now, for the Southern German states, Prussia would naturally demand that they be united with it in a federated Kleindeutschland - and if they pull their weight many times over then they could even get a Grossdeutschland, but that wouldn't be their hope. Without a Wilsonian analogue in the US at the moment, Austria-Hungary might not be dismembered as in OTL.

Perhaps. What I'm wondering is how are they going to distribute France's colonies. I mean, there's no way that anyone is going to want Britain to have almost complete control of Africa, that is, if the coalition decides to punish France by stripping it of all it's colonies. They will definitely lose their colonies in the Americas, and they will probably go to the United States.

As for the African colonies, I can imagine that they might develope something similar to the Mandate system. Some of the French African colonies might go under American Protectorate/Mandate status, at least if they decide to take away all of Frances colonies. On the other hand, in order to prevent one power from having complete control of Africa, I can imagine the US strongarming the British into lettting France keep some of it's colonies.

or we could go a third option and have the US advocate independence for France's former colonies. perhaps attempt to divide them into independent nations free from the control of European nations, with aid to try to set up a stable government(s).

depends on how the war ends, as it stands now, the Brits, the Russians and the US will be the ones making large gains after the war. Prussians probably get southern Germany but probly not Austria, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania will subdivide the balkans(no Albania) Serbia getting Bosnia at most, Romania getting Transylvania, Bulgaria (depending on they do) could expand to post 1st Balkan war boundaries along with Greece and Serbia(in the south). Russia and Britain might subdivide the middle east but it might come down to a case of neither wants the other to gain more influence in that area so Ottomans hang around, independents too easy to influence. Africa will stay partly French, some to Britain and some to Independence especially with US maybe buffer states in central Africa. Most of Pacific colonies will go to whoever took them, mandates are doubtful, think after the Spanish-American war and the Philippines, the US just held them, probably what will happen there too.