The Union Forever: A TL

I'd say that the Brits will get as much of Africa that their allies allow them too, as the Russians probably don't want to create a massive new threat for themselves which could lead to France retaining a portion of its African empire. Britain will keep Madagascar definitely but with the up coming unrest in Ireland and the rest of the Empire they might not want to take too much, as this war would probably aggravate the subject peoples as much as WWI in OTL. I don't see Prussia taking Alsace Lorraine but rather taking the South German states becoming the German empire before WWI w/out A-L.

I think the next update should be about attacking Frances Asia/Pacific colonies, which I think will be quite difficult and I actually think the USA will join in on capturing the Philippines and may even take them after the war

I think the next update should be about attacking Frances Asia/Pacific colonies, which I think will be quite difficult and I actually think the USA will join in on capturing the Philippines and may even take them after the war

It seems that ever since they did that in OTL it has to be the USA's destiny to take the Philippines. I don't think there's a reason for them to take it, but the British could... ;)

The Great War: Pacific Theater March-December 1909

ask and you shall recieve!

The Pacific Theater

March-December 1909

For most of the Great War the Pacific theater was dominated by the Russo-Japanese conflict which had originally begun in October of 1906. With the outbreak of the Great War in September, 1907, France joined Japan as a cobelligerent against the Russians. When America and Great Britain entered the war in March of 1909, the balance of power in the Pacific swung dramatically to the Alliance. It is important to note that the British and Americans were at war only against the European members of the Entente and not Imperial Japan. The following is a brief account of the sweeping gains made in the Pacific by the Alliance in the spring, summer, and fall of 1909.

The Fall of New Guinea

The northern half of the island of New Guinea unceremoniously fell to a British/Australian force in late April of 1909 after the meager French garrison gave only token resistance. The island of New Britain and the rest of the Bonaparte Archipelago would fall in June of 1909, but only after the French put up a stiff resistance at Rabaul resulting in thousands of Australian and New Zealander casualties.

WWI__24__gallery__600x338.jpg

Australian forces at the Battle of Rabual
June, 1909

The Invasion of Indochina

In the early days of June, 1909 French Indochina was invaded by a British led Indian force of some 55,000 men from Burma. It would take until December 3 before the region of Tonkin fell after the siege of Hanoi. During the preceding months the British and their Australian and New Zealander subjects made landings near Saigon and at the old Imperial Vietnamese capital of Hue. The French and the small number of natives who stayed loyal to the Emperor harried the invaders at several points and retained control of much of the interior into 1910.

The United States seizes French Polynesia, Micronesia, and the Philippines

Once France’s American territories had been conquered the United States turned her attention to the Pacific. From bases in Hawaii and Samoa, the United States Navy launched several expeditions to secure France’s relatively undefended South Pacific possessions. On July 15, Tahiti fell after a naval bombardment and a landing by U.S. Marines. Enroot to the Philippines, Navy/Army taskforces made landings of Guam and other spots in the south and central pacific. By the time American troops landed in the Philippines in November, America had gained effective control of the Polynesian, Caroline, Marshal, Mariana, and Pelew Islands. Although French submarines and torpedo boats did manage to inflict several loses on the U.S. Navy, the Imperial French Navy was spread to thin and their island garrisons were to weak to pose a serious threat. The toughest nut to crack would prove to be the Philippines. Ever since Spain had sold the Philippine Islands to France in 1879, the archipelago’s capital Manila had served as an important outpost in France’s Pacific Empire. On November 7, 1909 a large American force landed on the Philippine island of Luzon after the small French naval force was defeated at the Battle of the Philippine Sea. The Battle of Manila on November 18 was ferocious as American troops were forced to storm the city after a 6 hour long bombardment. By the end of the month most of the French garrison had surrendered although small French elements would remain active on other islands for months.

Japan exits the War

After over three years of brutal warfare and with the likelihood of an imminent Russian breakthrough on the Yalu River, the Empire of Japan sought British/American mediation in ending its conflict with Russia. Russia was eager to end its war in the east as well as it had conquered nearly all of Manchuria and wished to concentrate its forces against its enemies in Europe. Therefore the Treaty of Honolulu was singed between Russia and Japan on December 8, 1909. Russia would receive a free hand in Manchuria and Japan would keep Korea and all of its Pacific possessions, such as Formosa. Although many in Japan were furious at the treaty’s terms the island nation was bankrupt and had little choice but to accept. The signing of the treaty signaled the end of major combat operations in the theater and the destruction of Entente power in the Pacific.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that this new Korea will be what Poland is to Europe. Stuck in between several spheres of influence and has to be dominated by one or torn apart by all.

Good show, good show! France's colonial empire is crumbling as we speak! I would think, however, that in the post-war world that France may keep some colonies just to keep the balance of things in place.

So Japan's out of the war, eh? Well, that doesn't mean they're out of the fight in the long run, however. I can see them sirring up trouble in the post-war world, bullying states to give up their Asain posessions (I'm riding on the fact that none of the nations would want to fight another war anytime soon again) I can also see them re-asserting themselves in Korea, like OTL Germany and the Anschluss. When (if) there is another war, I have the feeling that Japan will be able to steam-roll Russia, perhaps for the entire war, or only for the begining. Only time will tell.

I'd really like to hear about what's going on with different political movements inside France at this point. If Napoleon IV isn't realizing that the war is comming to an end, perhaps a monarchist group would stage a coup to overthrow him and then sue for peace. It would be an interesting turn of events, regardless of what happens. I eagerly lok for an update!

I'd really like to hear about what's going on with different political movements inside France at this point. If Napoleon IV isn't realizing that the war is comming to an end, perhaps a monarchist group would stage a coup to overthrow him and then sue for peace. It would be an interesting turn of events, regardless of what happens. I eagerly lok for an update!

a French Valkyrie in ww1:eek:

A monarchist French Valkyrie in WWI ;)

a French Valkyrie in ww1:eek:

An update on French politics is forthcoming, but this brings up the question as to whether oposition to Napoleon IV is more likely monarchist, republican, or radical leftist?

I'd like to imagen that his cheif opponents would be Monarchists, simply because the French people would be used to having a monarchial figure in power, and the transition of power from a Napoleonic Empire to a Burbon Restoration or what have you, in theory at least. Now, as much as I'd like to see an Absolute France I can see them making a deal with the Republicans, allowing a Constitution and a parliment in exchange for supporting their cause. If/when they take power, I can see them cracking down on the far left, among other non-conservative non-Catholic elements in France. Cheers

heck, we could go with the communists, they like to take over countries on the verge of defeat- see 1870s France (Paris commune), 1917 Russia (USSR), 1920's Hungary (before Horthy) etc.
Personally, I think N the 4th will stay in power till the end like Emperor Karl of Austria.
In thinking of the consequences of defeat, losing this war could bind A-H together if its not dismantled at the end, which seems unlikely since the majority of warring powers are monarchial to some extent and thus unwilling to eliminate a fellow ruler.
By the way, is Max still emperor of A-H, if so he's relatively old, can't last to much longer, could lead to negotiated exit.
nice update too, keep up the good work!

What is the big aim of taking all of France's colonies? Some of them I can understand, others not so much.

The effect on Korea looks to be interesting. I suppose this may be where Robert Todd sets the example of supporting democracy abroad. Though, I wonder what happens to the Korean Royal Family.

Maybe a heir down the line is a Korean and American descent.