The Union Forever: A TL

-Wow, the Space Race is still neck-and-neck I see. I'm guessing the BIG Artemis mission will be coming up soon? ;) That is, unless, Germany or somebody else reaches the Moon first...

-Nephilim sounds like TTL's equivalent of The Day After in terms of being anti-nuke fiction. Of course, a novel with philosophical cred is a ton more respectable than a manipulative "tear-jerker" starring Steve Gutenberg :)rolleyes:) so maybe it'll work better here. I do have to wonder if a stand-in for either Star Trek or Doctor Who exists, and if so whether a possible post-nuclear holocaust would be a recurring theme.

-The 1974 election results seem (by the end of that paragraph) tied to a desire for America's industrial base to not degenerate into OTL's Rust Belt, which is refreshingly forward-thinking for your standard voter base. Or am I reading too much into that part? Also, nice little architecture update on the Bicentennial Building.

There isn't an exact stand in for Star Trek ITTL. The closest thing is The Explorers (1964-1968) which has the basic premise of Star Trek: Voyager but strays a little closer to science fantasy and can be pretty cheesy at times. There is also Farside (1972-1974) which is akin to Star Trek: Deep Space 9 and Babaloyn 5 and deals with more political themed issues. Both franchises only earned modest viewer ratings but over the years will build massive fan followings. The TL doesn't have anything really close to Doctor Who.

It might be that the stronger tendency toward free trade by the Republicans ITTL has led to the whole Rust Belt degeneration thing happening quicker. Of course, that likely means that the Midwest will turn away from the GOP as we move forward.

Good observations Ares96, I will have to take them into account when writing future updates.

Last edited:
Indeed, it should be interesting. Grand Rapids elected a Technocratic mayor due to a variety of factors including the decline in manufacturing jobs. Baumgartner, an accomplished businessman and engineer, was viewed by the voters as a capable of bring the jobs back. Only time will tell if he is successful.
If he is successful, might we see the Technocratic Party gain political power in the US, possibly even enough to challenge the major parties instead of being just another 3rd party?

If he is successful, might we see the Technocratic Party gain political power in the US, possibly even enough to challenge the major parties instead of being just another 3rd party?

It not be very easy to challenge two-party system. ITTL Republicans and Democrats are so powerful parties that these not be easy to overthrown. ITTL only American Consercative Party was shortly able to challenge main parties in Southern States. Technocrat Party might rise main party in Michigan but hardly nationwide.

Anyway, what is situation of Conservative Party?

It not be very easy to challenge two-party system. ITTL Republicans and Democrats are so powerful parties that these not be easy to overthrown. ITTL only American Consercative Party was shortly able to challenge main parties in Southern States. Technocrat Party might rise main party in Michigan but hardly nationwide.

Anyway, what is situation of Conservative Party?

By 1974, the American Conservative Party is practically defunct, with only a few thousands members remaining and no elected officials above the county level. Most members returned to the Democratic Party.

Ok, here are my latest thoughts for the IEF. Belarus and the Crimea stay part of Russia proper as a concession to conservatives. Chechenia and Dagesta are added. Does anybody know anything about the Russian/Kazakh border? What should it look like in the TL? Also, should Galicia be it's own region or remain part of the Ukraine? Please, let me know what y'all think.

IEF.png

If eastern Ukraine stays Russian, then so does the Don. It's far too strategic and has too small a minority population to warrant autonomy. As for the Kazakh border, I'll try to come up with something. Galicia has nothing to warrant it being separate from Ukraine, particularly since you'll have already pissed off the Ukrainians by removing the Donbass.

1975: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

attachment.php

Map and Flag of the Federation of East Africa​

On January 4, the six British colonies of Buganda, Kenia, Mombassa, Tanganyika, Zanzibar and the newly created province of Hutuland were formally united into the Federation of East Africa. As a dominion East Africa would control its own domestic affairs while London managed its foreign relations. After much debate, the city of Omusoma on the eastern shore of Lake Victoria was chosen as the capital of the new federation with Tanganyikan native Cleopa Soikine elected as Prime Minister.

In February, Bengal was annexed by the United Republic of India even as skirmishing with Bengali guerrillas continued. While Indian leader Harshad Nanda declared that he was merely “abiding by the will of the people of Bengal” nearly all international observers denounced the referendum as a farce. Worried about future aggression the embattled neighboring country of Hyderabad signed an agreement with several other British Commonwealth governments formally guaranteeing its independence. To the east of Bengal the Republic of Assam was plunged into civil war as the REP backed Indian People’s Front sought to topple the prowestern government of President Sarat Hazarika. The Commonwealth of Madras also began expanding its military by 20% a move which Nanda denounced as “provocative”.

On March 7, the world’s first nuclear power plant came online near Konigsberg, Germany. Over the next few years Germany’s ministry of energy would open several other plants making Germany the global leader in nuclear energy until being surpassed by the Technate of China towards the end of the century.

Throughout 1975 security in the Belgian Congo continued to deteriorate as clashes between government forces and a variety of increasingly hostile militia and guerrilla groups became more common. Limited measures granting some local autonomy made governing more difficult and with around 20 million people the Belgian Congo was considered far too large to be successfully integrated into the nation itself. Belgian Prime Minister Andre Wathelet of the Catholic National Party came under intense pressure from the Labor led opposition to put the Congo on a path towards self-government, a stance opposed by King Leopold IV, Belgian conservatives, and their German allies.

In October, Yegor Maksimov become the first Russian in space with the successful flight of his spacecraft the Burevestnik making the IEF the third nation in history to send a man into orbit.

On November 12, an Anglo-Persian Defense Treaty was signed in Bahrain. The treaty marked a drastic realignment in Persia’s foreign relations which traditionally favored Russia over the British. However, India’s recent bellicose attitude towards its neighbors, especially Baluchistan, convinced Shah Hamid Hassan Qajar and his Prime Minister Shahin Attar that the British Commonwealth would be a better ally in the case of a general war than the IEF.

Last edited:
I like the development of the Commonwealth. This could be the way to save it.

The Russians in space. No surprise there.

Britain and Persia seems logical. This might make India more paranoid.

Good update.

I like the development of the Commonwealth. This could be the way to save it.

The Russians in space. No surprise there.

Britain and Persia seems logical. This might make India more paranoid.

Good update.

Thanks Master Sanders. Yes, the Anglo-Persian alliance worries many of India's top leaders who see the treaty as yet another attempted by Britain to ring India with hostile allies.

Thanks Master Sanders. Yes, the Anglo-Persian alliance worries many of India's top leaders who see the treaty as yet another attempted by Britain to ring India with hostile allies.

Hmm this could really be something which drives India and Japan together as India becomes increasingly paranoid of Western incursion. The Japanese (presumably) have a strong navy which might compliment a large Indian army, the two nations working together could also probably threaten China in some way if they felt so inclined.

It would really be the major power bloc in South East Asia.

Hmm this could really be something which drives India and Japan together as India becomes increasingly paranoid of Western incursion. The Japanese (presumably) have a strong navy which might compliment a large Indian army, the two nations working together could also probably threaten China in some way if they felt so inclined.

It would really be the major power bloc in South East Asia.

Good observations EnglishCanuck. I agree.

Foreign Developments
[PIC SNIPPED]
Map and Flag of the Federation of East Africa​

• On January 4, the six British colonies of Buganda, Kenia, Mombassa, Tanganyika, Zanzibar and the newly created province of Hutuland were formally united into the Federation of East Africa. As a dominion East Africa would control its own domestic affairs while London managed its foreign relations. After much debate, the city of Omusoma on the eastern shore of Lake Victoria was chosen as the capital of the new federation with Tanganyikan native Cleopa Soikine elected as Prime Minister.

• In February, Bengal was annexed by the United Republic of India even as skirmishing with Bengali guerrillas continued. While Indian leader Harshad Nanda declared that he was merely “abiding by the will of the people of Bengal” nearly all international observers denounced the referendum as a farce. Worried about future aggression the embattled neighboring country of Hyderabad signed an agreement with several other British Commonwealth governments formally guaranteeing its independence. To the east of Bengal the Republic of Assam was plunged into civil war as the REP backed Indian People’s Front sought to topple the prowestern government of President Sarat Hazarika. The Commonwealth of Madras also began expanding its military by 20% a move which Nanda denounced as “provocative”.

• On March 7, the world’s first nuclear power plant came online near Konigsberg, Germany. Over the next few years Germany’s ministry of energy would open several other plants making Germany the global leader in nuclear energy until being surpassed by the Technate of China towards the end of the century.

• Throughout 1975 security in the Belgian Congo continued to deteriorate as clashes between government forces and a variety of increasingly hostile militia and guerrilla groups became more common. Limited measures granting some local autonomy made governing more difficult and with around 20 million people the Belgian Congo was considered far too large to be successfully integrated into the nation itself. Belgian Prime Minister Andre Wathelet of the Catholic National Party came under intense pressure from the Labor led opposition to put the Congo on a path towards self-government, a stance opposed by King Leopold IV, Belgian conservatives, and their German allies.

• In October, Yegor Maksimov become the first Russian in space with the successful flight of his spacecraft the burevestnik making the IEF the third nation in history to send a man into orbit.

• On November 12, an Anglo-Persian Defense Treaty was signed in Bahrain. The treaty marked a drastic realignment in Persia’s foreign relations which traditionally favored Russia over the British. However, India’s recent bellicose attitude towards its neighbors, especially Baluchistan, convinced Shah Hamid Hassan Qajar and his Prime Minister Shahin Attar that the British Commonwealth would be a better ally in the case of a general war than the IEF.

Finally got some commentary on the update;

-Interesting how the various British African territories seem to be coalescing into Dominion-equivalents left and right. Will they seek to form their own separate nations as time goes on, or will they stay sufficiently satisfied with this structure? Also, how are relations between East and South Africa at this point in time?

-Man, India under Nanda is really starting to tick me off with their rampant expansionism. I can't wait for somebody BIG to decide they've had enough of this and put their money where their mouth is. As English Canuck pointed out, they seem set to ally with Japan to form a major power bloc in Asia, with both states being quite formidable enough on their own as it is. Now it is true that Britain has been acting somewhat dickishly in the Subcontinent for some time, and it's therefore understandable that India would want to confront that before it's too late. However, I reiterate; they'd be allying with JAPAN. That alone throws me into the "STOP THEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" crowd, especially given their Technocratic leanings...

-Good to see nuclear technology being put to peaceful (and rightful) uses as a power source, instead of solely for bombing applications. I do wonder why the US, UK and Russia wouldn't also jump onto the bandwagon, perhaps they just have a more diversified power-generating infrastructure?

-As the Congo slip more and more into stability, I'll reiterate something I've said elsewhere; Belgium owning the Congo is a bad, bad thing. Leopold, rot in Hell :mad:. Maybe the locals can throw off their territorially minuscule overlords for good down the road.

-I see the Ivans have joined the Krauts and the Septics in putting men into orbit, good ol' space race :cool:. BTW I think you meant to say the craft's name is "Burevestnik" since it wasn't capitalized the first time 'round :p.

-See what I mean about India? I can appreciate them not wanting to be under British thumbs, but they've been going too far. Seriously, I hope somebody puts them in their place (or at least kicks the Technatists out of the government) before it's too late and another Global War breaks out :(.

EDIT: I didn't notice this being addressed before, and I didn't see it listed in India's state list, but whatever happened to Rajasthan?

Finally got some commentary on the update;

-Interesting how the various British African territories seem to be coalescing into Dominion-equivalents left and right. Will they seek to form their own separate nations as time goes on, or will they stay sufficiently satisfied with this structure? Also, how are relations between East and South Africa at this point in time?

-Man, India under Nanda is really starting to tick me off with their rampant expansionism. I can't wait for somebody BIG to decide they've had enough of this and put their money where their mouth is. As English Canuck pointed out, they seem set to ally with Japan to form a major power bloc in Asia, with both states being quite formidable enough on their own as it is. Now it is true that Britain has been acting somewhat dickishly in the Subcontinent for some time, and it's therefore understandable that India would want to confront that before it's too late. However, I reiterate; they'd be allying with JAPAN. That alone throws me into the "STOP THEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" crowd, especially given their Technocratic leanings...

-Good to see nuclear technology being put to peaceful (and rightful) uses as a power source, instead of solely for bombing applications. I do wonder why the US, UK and Russia wouldn't also jump onto the bandwagon, perhaps they just have a more diversified power-generating infrastructure?

-As the Congo slip more and more into stability, I'll reiterate something I've said elsewhere; Belgium owning the Congo is a bad, bad thing. Leopold, rot in Hell :mad:. Maybe the locals can throw off their territorially minuscule overlords for good down the road.

-I see the Ivans have joined the Krauts and the Septics in putting men into orbit, good ol' space race :cool:. BTW I think you meant to say the craft's name is "Burevestnik" since it wasn't capitalized the first time 'round :p.

-See what I mean about India? I can appreciate them not wanting to be under British thumbs, but they've been going too far. Seriously, I hope somebody puts them in their place (or at least kicks the Technatists out of the government) before it's too late and another Global War breaks out :(.

EDIT: I didn't notice this being addressed before, and I didn't see it listed in India's state list, but whatever happened to Rajasthan?

FleetMac,

Thanks for your comments and for nominating TUF for this year's Turtledoves.

-East Africa and South Africa have friendly relations with each other and no conflicting interests at present. Along with Nigeria and Madagascar they make up the four African dominions in the British Commonwealth although South Africa is the senior member and unlike the other three can chart her own foreign policy.

-Yep, Nanda and his REP are really turning South Asia into a powder keg, and his resent alliance with Japan, Vietnam, Laos, and Kampuchea means any potential conflict could reach the pacific. Not sure what you mean by "Technocratic leanings" Japan under the Kobushi Party and India under the REP all have right-wing governments usually referred to as "Corporatist" due to their internal structuring and are not associated with the Technocratic movement.

-Although Germany was the first the other nuclear powers will create their own nuclear plants over the next few years.

-Indeed, the Congo seems to be heading for an all out war of independence. Sadly the rebels are highly fractured along ethnic and ideological lines and their is little consensus on what an independence Congo would look like.

-Good call. I will capitalize Burevestnik.

-Again, Nanda and the REP are Corporatists not Technocratic like China.

-OTL Rajasthan is split between Jaipur and other states.