The Union Forever: A TL

Wasn't one of Connor's staff shot in an attempted assassination? Granted it was a failed attempt, so there is that. I guess I should re-read the past decade or so's worth of updates :eek:.

There was assassination attempt of Connor and Anderson but with my memory anyone from Connor's staff didn't killed.

Wow, nice update Mac! How many Presidents does this make that got shot by now? It seems either higher than OTL, or having taken place a bit later on in our history than OTL.

It's good to see that the US is at least at parity with the Germans in nuclear arms terms from a deterrence perspective (even without MAD, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that attacking a fellow atomic state is unwise). IIRC there should be some sort of treaty that arises as a result of more countries gaining "the bomb" in the '70s and '80s. I certainly hope nobody actually gets to using them anytime soon :eek:.

I'd forgotten how much "Futuro" (IIRC a sort of '60s "New Wave" equivalent?) had gained in popularity in the "shining '60s", which seems overall at odds with OTL 1960s in terms of the tone of the decade. Why do I get the feeling that the '70s will be a good deal darker than our version? And I figured that Grind would be closer to a cross between AC/DC and Motorhead, but I think punk could work as an analogue too.

MacArthur is second assassinated presdent ITTL so there has been lesser presidential assassinations than in OTL.

Wasn't one of Connor's staff shot in an attempted assassination? Granted it was a failed attempt, so there is that. I guess I should re-read the past decade or so's worth of updates :eek:.

There was assassination attempt of Connor and Anderson but with my memory anyone from Connor's staff didn't killed.

The first President to be assasintated IITL was Leonard Wood back in 1921.

Great TUF Presidential trivia. And yes, MacArthur is the second after Leonard Wood in 1921. Which is half the number in OTL. Connor and Anderson were shot at but not hit. The driver was wounded.

In my opinion I think the MacArthur assassination was too similar to OTL Kennedy assassination, but hey your TL.

Now there are two nuclear powers. Perhaps there are more on the way? (Maybe Japan?) With no Cold War, I'm guessing a nuclear arms race isn't in the cards, or at least it won't be on such a large scale.

Looking forward to the 70s.

Now there are two nuclear powers. Perhaps there are more on the way? (Maybe Japan?) With no Cold War, I'm guessing a nuclear arms race isn't in the cards, or at least it won't be on such a large scale.

Well in a multi-polar world with only a few dominant powers (none of which seem radically and ideologically opposed to one another) there doesn't even seem to be the need to develop a idea like the MAD doctrine, or to see nukes as anything other than really large bombs.

Now certain powers will want to develop them (Japan for sure, even just as a deterrent to China) and the other powers might not be so comfortable with it, but there is precious little they can do to stop them.

I too look forward to the 70s.

In my opinion I think the MacArthur assassination was too similar to OTL Kennedy assassination, but hey your TL.

How is the MacArthur assassination similar to Kennedy's?

How is the MacArthur assassination similar to Kennedy's?

The only things I can see that are similar are that it became conspiracy theory fodder (which any assassination will be) and the idea that the generation remembers it by where they were when it happened (which makes perfect sense if it's the only POTUS assassination in TTL's contemporary memory.)

The only things I can see that are similar are that it became conspiracy theory fodder (which any assassination will be) and the idea that the generation remembers it by where they were when it happened (which makes perfect sense if it's the only POTUS assassination in TTL's contemporary memory.)

I mean that both have a lone gunman who dies shortly afterwards and allows conspiracies to thrive. Also both Kennedy and MacArthur are succeeded by vice-presidents from Texas and both are praised maybe a little more than they should.

1971: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

attachment.php

In January, the British colony of Damaraland was ceded to the Dominion of South Africa. Prime Ministers Cyril Atkinson and Niles Mbete were both present at the handover ceremony in the tiny provincial capital of Otjiwarongo. The addition of the sparsely populated territory brought South Africa’s total area to 3,066,661 km2/1,184,044 square miles making it the 7th largest country in the world.

On February 19, Germany launched the world’s first ballistic missile submarine the SMU Danzig. Unsurprisingly, other nations soon followed suit including Britain, Japan, France, and Italy. Nations with substantial territory to hide their own missiles silos such as the United States and the Russian Empire placed considerable less emphasis on ballistic missle submarines and wouldn’t field their own for nearly a decade.

Starting in March, the 1971 World’s Fair was held in the Australian capital of Albury. The centerpiece of the exhibition was the Progress Arch which rose to an impressive height of 184 meters over the Murray River making it the tallest arch in the world. Nations making their debut appearance at a World’s Fair included Kashmir-Jammu, Baluchistan, and the newly independent states of Sudan and Indonesia.

On April 7, Chinese Leader Zhang Kun died having led the country for the last 17 years. While most suspected his deputy General Chen Ke the hero of the Tibetan War would succeed him as leader, Chen’s mysterious death a few days later left the order of succession wide open. In the coming months the Chinese government would be paralyzed by infighting between various groups. By the end of the year three major factions had emerged. The old guard militants under Lieutenant General Tu Kwok, the liberal leaning supporters of former Prime Minister Li Qiang Wang, and the Technocrats under Brigadier General Heng Jiang.

On May 24, Japan entered the war against Siam. With China distracted by the death of Zhang Khun, Japanese Prime Minister Ryota Hayashi declared that “the time has come to restore order in Southeast Asia.” Over the next few weeks, Japanese jet fighters based out of Vietnam gained air superiority over much of Laos and eastern Siam. The influx of Japanese ground troops into the conflict had by the end of autumn pushed most Siamese forces out of Laos, with the Laotian capital of Vientiane falling on October 28 after vicious street to street fighting. Despite their staggering losses the Siamese government under King Rama X continued to resist and pleaded for Western involvement.

In August, Russian astronomers Iosif Krupin and Sergej Kuznetsov announced the discovery of a moon orbiting the ninth planet Nox. Named Somnus after the Greco-Roman God of sleep, the satellite proved to have a diameter roughly half that of its parent planet. This made Somnus the largest satellite in comparison to its planet in the known solar system.

As in France and Germany, the Italian General Election saw the fall of the incumbent government and the transfer of power to a leftwing coalition headed by the People’s Party. Sicilian Senator Eustachio Guerino Accosi was elected president and vowed to direct Italy’s growing oil wealth ”to the greatest good for the greatest many.”

On 4 September, in a surprising upset the Liberal government of Prime Minister Atkinson was voted out of power in favor of a coalition of Conservatives and Imperial Progressives led by Alec Presley (A.P.) Vaughan. Interestingly it was the granting of independence to the Sudan in 1969 that proved to be one of the biggest issues of the election. While not a serious issue at the time, during the run up to the election Tories and the IP decried the act as a “grave betrayal” and argued that the territory should have at least remained a commonwealth realm.

In December, Russia exploded its first atomic weapon at an undisclosed location on the Kazakh Steppe.

Last edited:
I think the transfer of Damaraland to South Africa was a good call. That will improve Britain's relationship with other Commonwealth countries while making sure the territory remains under the British sovereign.

I'm tellin' you, Germany's looking like the true innovator ITTL. Ballistic missile submarines would not be of great concern to the United States, of course. It would make more sense for European powers to have such vessels in order to launch a couple of missiles...say off the France's southern coast. :p

Not looking good for China. I was convinced that Zhang would have started a world war in Asia. This presents a unique problem. The United States has supported the Zhang regime, probably risking considerable international prestige in doing so. Now, China looks like it will descend into civil war. The militarists are not a savory option, since America's alliance with them was out of practical concerns. The liberals are likely to be naturally distrustful of the Americans, for obvious reasons. The Technocrats are an unknown quantity at this point, since we haven't seen any technocratic regimes.

Again, the ultimate winner is Japan. This chaos has lead to the likely result of Japanese intervention in the Laotian war. I think we have come to the moment of truth. The United States needs to do something, and something quick. They can't rely on China anymore to check Japanese imperialist aims. Nor can they simply ignore the ramifications of a Japanese hegemony of Asia. We'll now see how Gavin will deal with this gathering storm.

Wow, that was a real surprise concerning Atkinson. I thought making Sudan a republic was a bizarre move, but I didn't know it would come back to bite him. Imperial Progressives? Reminds me of the imperialistic Radicals of Victorian Britain. This alliance should be interesting.

Nice update. Interesting that the US and Russia aren't investing in nuclear subs yet.

Did South Africa only now move up to 7th largest with the addition of the new territory?

China just can't get a break ITTL.

Can't wait for TTL's Nox to be demoted. :p

I mean that both have a lone gunman who dies shortly afterwards and allows conspiracies to thrive. Also both Kennedy and MacArthur are succeeded by vice-presidents from Texas and both are praised maybe a little more than they should.

Very interesting. Zaqwer, I honestly hadn't thought of those similarites before. Well, I guess it goes to show that the mind likes to draw connections. I was going for more than what metastasis_d was pointing out.

I...wow. I actually am speechless over this last update, there's so much awesome detail that I really have not much to add. Here's my take on the update;

-Interesting how South Africa continues to expand their territory; I'm betting that OTL's Rhodesia (Zambezia and Brit. Congo here) will join at some point, which would be pretty cool and not normally seen in TLs (at least, outside of the Drakaverse and such). Would Madagascar be a possible addition as well down the road?

-Considering the lack of MAD/"Strategic Deterrence" as we know it, I wouldn't be surprised that America and Russia didn't focus on Boomer development at all. Frankly, I can see the former trying to get the most out of airborne assets (despite the lack of strategic bombing experience ITTL, it doesn't take a genius to see the advantages of air-deployed nukes in certain ways), while they and the latter could both look into ICBM development. I won't go too far into it, but ICBMs have their own advantages AND disadvantages that may or may not be researched in the TUF-verse by both parties. Your call, of course.

-The World's Fair and Chinese Succession issue both look good to me. I did notice how there's a Technocrat faction in China...are they anything like the Krulikists?

-C'mon, Western world, help Siam out already! They need it, and unlike them Japanese no-goodniks, they actually would be a good country to back in the region. America, Britain, Germany--SOMEBODY! :p

-The remainder of updates all look good to me. Of course, we just had to get another member of the Nuke Club in Russia.

I've really been enjoying the last few updates. :D For 1969, I didn't see Missipi going dry at all, and it was good to see Eugenics end in the US.

Now for the 1970 updates. Very interesting developments. The restructuring of the Indian territories was interesting, and seems like something a pseudo fascist country would do.

I hope the Congo becomes independent soon. With this new war in the region, the writing should be on the wall for Belgium by this point, and other countries for that matter.

Nice to see Brazil's new constitution, but the lack of military could cause further problems in the future.

In terms of the US, Frank MacArthur's assassination was a shock, but at least his legacy will continue with President Gavin. I wonder what conspiracy theory 's will arise? Plus, I wonder what other powers will get atom bombs.

I'll comment on the 1971 update next.

I'm betting that OTL's Rhodesia (Zambezia and Brit. Congo here) will join at some point, which would be pretty cool and not normally seen in TLs (at least, outside of the Drakaverse and such).

OTL Rhodesia is already part of South Africa as Matabeleland. Zambezia and British Congo are OTL Zambia and Katanga, with some overlap and some gaps.

OTL Rhodesia is already part of South Africa as Matabeleland. Zambezia and British Congo are OTL Zambia and Katanga, with some overlap and some gaps.

Ouch, geography fail on my part :(. Thanks for the correction, although my point about Zambezia and British Congo still stands.

I think the transfer of Damaraland to South Africa was a good call. That will improve Britain's relationship with other Commonwealth countries while making sure the territory remains under the British sovereign.

I'm tellin' you, Germany's looking like the true innovator ITTL. Ballistic missile submarines would not be of great concern to the United States, of course. It would make more sense for European powers to have such vessels in order to launch a couple of missiles...say off the France's southern coast. :p

Not looking good for China. I was convinced that Zhang would have started a world war in Asia. This presents a unique problem. The United States has supported the Zhang regime, probably risking considerable international prestige in doing so. Now, China looks like it will descend into civil war. The militarists are not a savory option, since America's alliance with them was out of practical concerns. The liberals are likely to be naturally distrustful of the Americans, for obvious reasons. The Technocrats are an unknown quantity at this point, since we haven't seen any technocratic regimes.

Again, the ultimate winner is Japan. This chaos has lead to the likely result of Japanese intervention in the Laotian war. I think we have come to the moment of truth. The United States needs to do something, and something quick. They can't rely on China anymore to check Japanese imperialist aims. Nor can they simply ignore the ramifications of a Japanese hegemony of Asia. We'll now see how Gavin will deal with this gathering storm.

Wow, that was a real surprise concerning Atkinson. I thought making Sudan a republic was a bizarre move, but I didn't know it would come back to bite him. Imperial Progressives? Reminds me of the imperialistic Radicals of Victorian Britain. This alliance should be interesting.

Thanks for the comments. My thoughts on Damaraland exactly. Yeah, the Imperial Progressives and Coservatives should make for an interesting coaltion. Both favor keeping the Empire together but by different means, with the IP favoring more dominions.

Nice update. Interesting that the US and Russia aren't investing in nuclear subs yet.

Did South Africa only now move up to 7th largest with the addition of the new territory?

China just can't get a break ITTL.

Can't wait for TTL's Nox to be demoted. :p

No, South Africa was already 7th even before Damaraland got added.

I...wow. I actually am speechless over this last update, there's so much awesome detail that I really have not much to add. Here's my take on the update;

-Interesting how South Africa continues to expand their territory; I'm betting that OTL's Rhodesia (Zambezia and Brit. Congo here) will join at some point, which would be pretty cool and not normally seen in TLs (at least, outside of the Drakaverse and such). Would Madagascar be a possible addition as well down the road?

-Considering the lack of MAD/"Strategic Deterrence" as we know it, I wouldn't be surprised that America and Russia didn't focus on Boomer development at all. Frankly, I can see the former trying to get the most out of airborne assets (despite the lack of strategic bombing experience ITTL, it doesn't take a genius to see the advantages of air-deployed nukes in certain ways), while they and the latter could both look into ICBM development. I won't go too far into it, but ICBMs have their own advantages AND disadvantages that may or may not be researched in the TUF-verse by both parties. Your call, of course.

-The World's Fair and Chinese Succession issue both look good to me. I did notice how there's a Technocrat faction in China...are they anything like the Krulikists?

-C'mon, Western world, help Siam out already! They need it, and unlike them Japanese no-goodniks, they actually would be a good country to back in the region. America, Britain, Germany--SOMEBODY! :p

-The remainder of updates all look good to me. Of course, we just had to get another member of the Nuke Club in Russia.

Yes, the Technocratic faction in China are Krulikist. It is a bit confusing but Krulikism is to Technocracy what IOTL Marxism is to Communism.