The Union Forever: A TL

• In Stein v. Rapides Parish School Board the Supreme Court ruled six to five that government sanctioned prayer was permitted in American public schools allowing that it was not “religion specific” and “strictly voluntary.”

• In Fletcher v California the Supreme Court ruled seven to four in favor of upholding California’s self-imposed term limits for U.S. senators and representatives.

• In May, the Supreme Court ruled nine to two in Dean v. North Carolina that state laws banning interracial marriage were unconstitutional as they violated the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

• In Quesada vs. the Commonwealth of Cuba the United States Supreme Court ruled eight to three in favor of upholding the constitutionality of the 1925 National Language Act which made English the official language of the United States.

I was just re-reading, and this hit me.
The Supreme Court has 11 justices!

When did this happen and what were the circumstances surrounding it?

Last edited:
I was just re-reading, and this hit me.
The Supreme Court has 11 justices!

When did this happen and what were the circumstances surrounding it?

In Judiciary Act of 1867 signed by President Abraham Lincoln increased the number of Supreme Court Judges from 9 to 11, one for each of the judicial circuits then in existence. Naturally, Lincoln and the Republican controlled congress believed that the new justices would help uphold their legislation during reconciliation.

Alright guys, I fixed German Cameroon and Oman on my maps from page 149/the above post, as well as on the alliances map.

I got more maps thought, but for earlier in the timeline. Heres a map of the Union Forever world in 1930.

TUF1930.png

So looking at these maps Thailand is likely a British puppet-state or has sought some other power (Germany perhaps?) for support. Being surrounded by British colonies cannot be an easy situation.

Change in India: 1967-1968
Hey everyone, here is a special update on India. Special thanks to traveller76 for all his help.

Change in India

attachment.php

Indian Republic
1959-1968​

1967 General Election

January, 1967 marked the third general election in the Indian Republic since independence from the United Kingdom in 1959. While the country had recovered from the wartime famine, living conditions had scarcely improved and the young republic remained paralyzed by the political infighting of its parliament. Despite being marred by considerable violence and allegations of corruption, the 1967 election clearly illustrated that the incumbent coalition government of Premier Sayed Koya had lost the confidence of the people. When the votes were finally tallied Harshad Nanda’s National Unity Party (Rāṣṭrīya ēkatā pārṭī or REP) had captured an unprecedented 58% of the electorate. The reason for the REP’s tremendous success was multifold but most cited economic malaise and its well organized party structure, including its active youth and labor wings.

The Constitution of 1968

Once in power, Harshad Nanda’s first priority was to draft a new constitution to implement his party’s vision for the country. Taking effect the following year, the constitution of 1968 was a massive national reorganization according to the REP’s ideology of corporatism and its specific brand of pan-Indian nationalism. Nanda wished to make a clean break with what he considered to be the shameful disorder of the past. In the constitution’s preamble the nation was rechristened as the “United Republic of India” and laid claim to all territory that was once controlled by the British Raj.

On the surface the constitution appeared very democratic providing for freedom or religion, speech, assembly, and a directly elected 552-member lower house the Lok Sabha (House of the People). Real power however was concentrated in hands of the National Planning Commission composed of representatives of the government ministries and the upper house Nigamōṁ kī Pariṣada (Council of Corporations). In theory the Nigamōṁ kī Pariṣada was supposed to give representation to a variety of professions and industries such as civil servants, doctors, students, the military, and industrial and agricultural workers. In reality the Nigamōṁ kī Pariṣada allowed the REP to start exerting control over nearly every facet of society. To the surprise of no one Nanda was elected by the Lok Sabha and the Nigamōṁ kī Pariṣada as Netaji (Leader) the head of state. This, along with his other positions of party leader and chairman of the National Planning Commission, invested Nanda with enormous political power.

The Economy

After the new constitution, invigorating the Indian economy was the REP’s top priority correctly realizing that if things did not improve no government would remain in power long. The National Planning Commission released the first of their Five Year Economic Plans in the early months of 1968. It nationalized most large scale industries such as steel, defense, power, and transportation and banned foreign multinationals. The exception being certain subsidiaries of Japanese companies, but even these are majority owned by the state. Most small and medium businesses remained under private ownership along with the majority of farmland. The Ministry of Agriculture also began a massive plan to modernize Indian farming in hopes of preventing another famine.

Military and Foreign Policy

India’s foreign policy under the REP is largely shaped by the view of being encircled by enemies abroad and beset by traitors at home. Britain and her dominions remain the primary enemy with the independent princely states a close second. Bereft of friends, Nanda made overtures to a fellow anti-western power the Empire of Japan. The REP’s ideological similarities with Japan’s ruling Kobushi party made the Japanese eager to provide assistance. At the request of the REP, the first Japanese military advisors arrived in November of 1967 with the intent of upgrading India’s modest military capabilities. In the vein of self-sufficiency the Indian government increased investment in the defense industry administered collectively as the National Defense Corporation. Over the next few years, India would see marked improvement as the nation moved away from simply copying British, German, and Japanese weaponry and began producing their own designs. To watch out for domestic subversives the government established the Āntarika Surakṣā Ayōga or ASA (Internal Security Commission), which over the years would become a feared secret police.

Last edited:
What is India's relationship with the non-British non-princely states in India (Bengal, Assam, Baluchistan)? Also I would expect India to attack the princely states in the near future when the feel they are powerful enough. If events fall out right, there may even be a war involving Britain and Japan!

Also what is happening in Indonesia, haven't heard any thing recently.

And what is going on in Mesopotamia in the 30s and 40s? Is it a British puppet or what? if so, why does it now have its own color? Same with Kurdistan.

EDIT: can't believe you actually went with the swastika flag!

Last edited:
Good to see that India's managing to forge her own identity in politics and the military. Unfortunately, it also looks like they're starting to cozy up to those dastardly Japanese. I smell drama in the future...

Also with the maps for 1930 and 1940, when exactly did Botswana and Zimbabwe join South Africa? They may not be part of South Africa for those maps.

Interesting new update. India seems to be slipping dangerously towards OTL's Fascism unfortunately. Hopefully the regime will have its upsides. Speaking of which, who anti western is China's government?

Will Japan and the West ever butt heads? I could see a Japanese American War sometime in the future maybe. Where will America's next war take place I wonder. Maybe against Venezuela's dictatorship?

What is India's relationship with the non-British non-princely states in India (Bengal, Assam, Baluchistan)? Also I would expect India to attack the princely states in the near future when the feel they are powerful enough. If events fall out right, there may even be a war involving Britain and Japan!

Also what is happening in Indonesia, haven't heard any thing recently.

And what is going on in Mesopotamia in the 30s and 40s? Is it a British puppet or what? if so, why does it now have its own color? Same with Kurdistan.

EDIT: can't believe you actually went with the swastika flag!

Under the REP India does not have a very good relation with princely states as they see them as illegitimate remnants of the colonial era. Obviously the princely states are nervous that their much larger neighbor claims their territory as their own.

For Indonesia, the war drags on and on. I will cover it more in the next foreign update.

The Kingdom of Mesopotamia was a British puppet following the Great War but by the 1950’s had exerted its independence. Sort of the same deal for Kurdistan, although they are still very close with Russia. By the 1950s I would give them their own color as well but it is debatable.

Yes, that is the flag of the Indian Republic and the United Republic of India is currently using it but they may drop it in favor of their party flag or another flag. Swastikas are a little too peaceful for them. I would love to see some proposed designs.

Last edited:
What family rules Mesopotamia? Some Hashemite branch? And are Sunnis and Shias equal in Mesopotamia? And what kind of relationship it has with Persia?