The Union Forever: A TL

Regions of the former Raj and Ireland are the most obvious. I can see extreme nationalist movements develop quickly, causing civil war. That being said, I hope it doesn't happen.
That and Africa probably. Also depends on how Quebec acts. Have they had a *Quiet Revolution yet?

About Quebec to my mind came one question. How in Canada regard for French speaking Quebecers during Great war and afteward?

During the Great War, Canada regarded Quebec with significant suspicion. Although some agitators were jailed, and support for the war was certainly low in Quebec, most Quebecers reluctantly went along with the governments polices without much of a fuss. After the war things returned pretty much to normal.

1962: Domestic Developments

Domestic Developments

In March, the superhero Captain Venture made his debut appearance in an issue of Amazing Worlds Comics. Indicative of the public fascination with the ongoing space race, CPT Venture was set in the 25th century as the stalwart defender of the United Nations of Earth against a host of nefarious alien enemies. Over the next few years, Captain Venture would quickly join the ranks of other prominent American superhero characters such as Spectreman and the Red Chief.

In April, the Federal government consolidated the territorial legislatures of Samoa and Polynesia into the newly tilted Territory of Pacifica. The official reason for the move was to reduce the cost of administering the far-flung archipelagos. Some however suspected political motives as the ruling Democratic Party wished to limit the number of future states that would generally favor the Republicans. Many of the islanders were not happy about the merger especially the Samoans who resent the addition of the more numerous Polynesians and their French influenced culture. As such the issue of where to locate the territorial capital would not be resolved for several years.

Although festivities had begun the previous year, 1962 saw a multitude of events marking the Civil War Centennial and the changes that the conflict had wrought on the country. Highlights included a massive reenactment of the Battle of Warrenton, in which Vice President Howley somewhat oddly played the role of General Sumner, and a ceremony marking Abraham Lincoln’s signing of the Proclamation of Emancipation and Restoration of the Union. In the fall documentarian Brian Darr made his television debut with the premier of War between the States on the National Broadcast Service the first of many of his historical programs to receive near universal acclamation. Of the plethora of books concerning the conflict released during the early sixties, one of the most successful was the alternate history novel American Inferno by Tobias Kilmer. In the novel General McClellan is not thrown from his horse during the peninsular campaign, but due to his over cautious nature he fails to take Richmond. As a consequence the war drags on well into 1865. While one of the highest grossing fiction works of the year many critics chastised Kilmer for the dark tone of the war’s aftermath including the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

The 1962 midterm elections resulted in little change to the makeup of Congress with the Democrats retaining their control of both houses despite the loss of a few seats.
In November, the United States Navy launched Observer 3 considered to be the world’s first weather satellite.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the issue of where to put the US Pacific's capital was solved when R'lyeh rose from the deep?

Also, space tech seems to be about on par with OTL. How did this happen without WWII? Much of the technology used for the OTL US and Russian space programs was recycled from Nazi German (and to a small extent, Soviet) research intended to produce more effective weapons of war.

Nice update. The Civil War commemorations were especially cool, and so were the alternate superheros as well.

I'm curious as too what other superheroes, and for that matter comic book publishing companies, exist IITL.

I'm guessing the issue of where to put the US Pacific's capital was solved when R'lyeh rose from the deep?

Also, space tech seems to be about on par with OTL. How did this happen without WWII? Much of the technology used for the OTL US and Russian space programs was recycled from Nazi German (and to a small extent, Soviet) research intended to produce more effective weapons of war.
The influence the Nazis had on space tech was and is greatly exaggerated, and without the cost of WWII there is more money available and more people alive to do the involved research

The influence the Nazis had on space tech was and is greatly exaggerated, and without the cost of WWII there is more money available and more people alive to do the involved research

RamscoopRaider pretty mush said it. While the lack of a second great war did set back the development of certain technologies, especially nuclear, other technologies happen more or less along OTL due to more people being alive and more resources being available. Also remember that at this point in the TL there are several major powers/power blocks (LAR, British Commonwealth, Germany, Russia, France, Italy, Japan,) all competing with each other to some degree so there is still a desire to outdo the rest. Therefore space tech, at least for now, is roughly 5 to 6 years behind OTL.

Nice update. The Civil War commemorations were especially cool, and so were the alternate superheros as well.

I'm curious as too what other superheroes, and for that matter comic book publishing companies, exist IITL.

Not sure, I would love to hear some suggestions. I would wager that the lack of a second world war would have a big impact on the development of comic books ITTL.

Not sure, I would love to hear some suggestions. I would wager that the lack of a second world war would have a big impact on the development of comic books ITTL.

You might be right. Many famous OTL super heroes (Batman, Superman...) has invented during or just before WW2. And these were usually promoting fighting will of Americans. Leastly super heroes are bit different from OTL super heroes. Perhaps them has some weakness and bad guys not be absolute evil.

You might be right. Many famous OTL super heroes (Batman, Superman...) has invented during or just before WW2. And these were usually promoting fighting will of Americans. Leastly super heroes are bit different from OTL super heroes. Perhaps them has some weakness and bad guys not be absolute evil.

Noir superheroes? I approve.