The Union Forever: A TL

What are some future confrontations that y'all could see occurring?

Surely problems in Indonesia. Hopeful it isn't so expansive and militarist as OTL Suharto's Indonesia. It would be intresting if there would be independence Aceh and West Papua.

And probably some colonial troubles too. Hopefully Algeria get its independence less bloody way than in OTL.

And situation with China and Japan hardly is yet clear.

But surely TUF 1960's is more peaceful than OTL 1960's.

Indeed, the 60's are going to be a more peaceful time than the 50's but conflict will still happen. What are some future confrontations that y'all could see occurring?

Like Lalli said, Indonesia. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if ethnic minorities in Russia don't start stirring.

1961: Domestic Developments

Domestic Developments

images

Columbus I
First Artificial Satellite​

On July 26, the United States Navy launched Columbus I the first manmade satellite to orbit the earth. The Columbus I would stay in space for nearly a month and make over 600 orbits. In America the event was cheered as a national triumph and signaled the dawn of the space age. Overseas however foreign governments scrambled to implement their own space programs. Germany, embarrassed by the Americans reaching space first, would launch their own satellite in December.

In August, a new music genre called Futuro burst onto the American music scene with the release of the single Electric Love by the Solitaires. Relying heavily on synthesizers and electric guitar, Futuro had been germinating in New York and Havana night clubs since the late '50s. For many the fast pace and optimistic music style seemed to embody the national mood for much of the decade.

In Fletcher v California the Supreme Court ruled seven to four in favor of upholding California’s self-imposed term limits for U.S. senators and representatives. Otis Fletcher, a former U.S. representative form California’s 1st district, argued that the state’s term limits for representatives and senators violated sections 2 and 3 of article 1 of the constitution. As a result of the ruling, by the end of the decade 36 states would impose term restrictions on representatives and 42 on senators.

Last edited:
^ Good update.

My main question is who will be the main players in the Space race besides America and Germany? I could see Britain and Russia being in the Space Race, maybe even Japan. Any other nations?

I have some kinda unrelated questions. What would Fascism be called IITL? There are Far-Right governments ITTL, like the former governments of Peru and Bolivia, and maybe Japan and China, so would it just be known as the Far-Right? Maybe there would be sub ideologies of the Far-right like Kobushism.

Also, what is the status of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire and Turkey IITL?

The Americans being the first on the draw? Not bad.

Futuro? Hopefully this doesn't lead to an earlier birth of dubstep.:p

Things are looking up.:D

I was sigged AGAIN? Ho Lee Schitt.

A side question (and not addressed as MS specifically) - what is the state of women's suffrage ITTL? IOTL World War II was a big catalyst in its development, and those countries that hadn't adopted universal suffrage for women (mainly the Catholic countries of southern Europe and Latin America) made the transition from universal manhood suffrage to truly universal suffrage in the 50s. ITTL, without WWII, this might not have happened yet and we might see much of Latin America not adopting the principle (and no, that only sounds like propagating polygamy and radical Mormonism across the world). On the other hand, the Atacama War and the subsequent creation of the LAR, which the US will surely use to propagate all the advances in civil and political equality they've aleady made, might have had a similar effect.

Futuro eh... Interesting name for a genre. So I guess this is the "rock" to Groove's "jazz"?

Ares, I was also kind of thinking the LAR would be a party to promoting progressive ideas between constituent nations. Maybe womens' suffrage could be such a movement.

My guess is the UK next to make the step into space. We may see European countries try to pool resources like OTL, and maybe we'll even see the other LAR members participate in American space ventures...

^ Good update.

My main question is who will be the main players in the Space race besides America and Germany? I could see Britain and Russia being in the Space Race, maybe even Japan. Any other nations?

I have some kinda unrelated questions. What would Fascism be called IITL? There are Far-Right governments ITTL, like the former governments of Peru and Bolivia, and maybe Japan and China, so would it just be known as the Far-Right? Maybe there would be sub ideologies of the Far-right like Kobushism.

Also, what is the status of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire and Turkey IITL?

Not to spoil things but yes Britain and Russia will be joining the space race shortly. Other nations, more than OTL, will also be developing their own programs.

Good question on what the Fascist like governments would be called ITTL. I haven't been able to think of a good name yet but would love to here suggestions. As of 1961, Japan is the closest to OTL fascism albeit with an antiwestern/colonialism bent. China is really more of a military led government than actual fascism.

I think that whole Armenian area belong for Russia. In Turkey hardly is much Armenians.

That is correct, with no Armenian genocide there are a good deal more Armenians alive ITTL. They are doing reasonably well but stirrings for independence or at least greater autonomy from Russia are growing. Also some ultranationalists in Turkey still see Armenia as part of their territory and would love to drive the Russians out.

I was sigged AGAIN? Ho Lee Schitt.

A side question (and not addressed as MS specifically) - what is the state of women's suffrage ITTL? IOTL World War II was a big catalyst in its development, and those countries that hadn't adopted universal suffrage for women (mainly the Catholic countries of southern Europe and Latin America) made the transition from universal manhood suffrage to truly universal suffrage in the 50s. ITTL, without WWII, this might not have happened yet and we might see much of Latin America not adopting the principle (and no, that only sounds like propagating polygamy and radical Mormonism across the world). On the other hand, the Atacama War and the subsequent creation of the LAR, which the US will surely use to propagate all the advances in civil and political equality they've aleady made, might have had a similar effect.

Good question on women's suffrage. Most Latin American nations granted women's suffrage in the 1950s, the exception being Venezuela. Some of the European countries that don't have women's suffrage are Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, San Marino, and Andorra (Keep in mind in Spain and Portugal it wouldn't matter if they did). I'm not sure about Eastern Europe. What do y'all think?

Futuro eh... Interesting name for a genre. So I guess this is the "rock" to Groove's "jazz"?

Ares, I was also kind of thinking the LAR would be a party to promoting progressive ideas between constituent nations. Maybe womens' suffrage could be such a movement.

My guess is the UK next to make the step into space. We may see European countries try to pool resources like OTL, and maybe we'll even see the other LAR members participate in American space ventures...

Futuro sounds intersting.

A little bit on Futuro. The TL's music doesn't exactly mesh with OTL's. The best way to describe Futuro would be some sort of Disco/Techno mash up with some Caribbean influences. As the name suggests the genre was suppose to invoke images of the future and is generally upbeat and positive. To be honest a modern day listener from the TL or OTL probably wouldn't like it but ITTL historically it gets associated with the space race and the peaceful society of the '60s.

Last edited:
Good question on women's suffrage. Most Latin American nations granted women's suffrage in the 1950s, the exception being Venezuela. Some of the European countries that don't have women's suffrage are Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, San Marino, and Andorra (Keep in mind in Spain and Portugal it wouldn't matter if they did). I'm not sure about Eastern Europe. What do y'all think?

Probably in Eastern Europe women suffrage not be exist. Probably suffrage is exist in protestant countries. And in islamic countries we don't see women suffrage long time yet.

A little bit on Futuro. The TL's music doesn't exactly mesh with OTL's. The best way to describe Futuro would be some sort of Disco/Techno mash up with some Caribbean influences. As the name suggests the genre was suppose to invoke images of the future and is generally upbeat and positive. To be honest a modern day listener for the TL or OTL probably wouldn't like it but ITTL historically it gets associated with the space race and the peaceful society of the '60s.

Oh yeah, I figured with the various influences (Hispanic and Caribbean) none of the music movements would match up exactly. I just likened Groove to be kind of a mix of Jazz and Caribbean Folk music, and that Futuro got influences from it like OTL's Rock got from Jazz (as well as Blues, etm.)

A little bit on Futuro. The TL's music doesn't exactly mesh with OTL's. The best way to describe Futuro would be some sort of Disco/Techno mash up with some Caribbean influences. As the name suggests the genre was suppose to invoke images of the future and is generally upbeat and positive. To be honest a modern day listener from the TL or OTL probably wouldn't like it but ITTL historically it gets associated with the space race and the peaceful society of the '60s.

An optimistic genre? Neat.:cool:

Oh yeah, I figured with the various influences (Hispanic and Caribbean) none of the music movements would match up exactly. I just likened Groove to be kind of a mix of Jazz and Caribbean Folk music, and that Futuro got influences from it like OTL's Rock got from Jazz (as well as Blues, etm.)
Do you know of anything that sounds like it?