Narrative Appendices: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

• Neither: Build a canal (Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All correct except for the name--I think it would likely be called Tadjidi by its own followers (pretty much every Islamic revival calls itself that), Sirozi by academics and neutrals and 'Ilantrabi' by its detractors, the latter trying to emphasize its base origins. TBH I don't know enough about Islamic jurisprudence, do you think it could form a fifth madhab?
In my opinion, I don't think it would form a fifth madhab since Sirozi doesn't really care about changing how Muslims should interpret Sharia law but more about how people should live their lives under Islam. If anything, he might just follow the Hanbali school since he's influenced by Ibn Tamiyyah and he's essentially an earlier counterpart to al-Wahhab.

So far I'm really curious to see how the Trapezuntines can get out of this hole they've gotten themselves into since David's death. Evangelos is clearly not the leader that will get them out of it (in fact, he seems to be exacerbating the situation), so maybe we'll see someone else restore what was lost. Luckily, their neighbors are either too weak or distracted to capitalize on the collapse of the Trapezuntines, so that's a plus.

As for the issue of republicanism, I don't think the Empire should become a Republic, at least not in the near future. It'd take some serious radical changes and the dismantling of the old order for it to even be possible, and I doubt this will be a popular choice for practically every Roman regardless of their social standing. Constitutional monarchy is possible but abandoning the Emperor seems rather unlikely.

Constitutional monarchy is possible but abandoning the Emperor seems rather unlikely.
Romans: We are a Constitutional Monarchy. The Emperor governs by the will of the Senate and People.
Roman Army: exactly. All those other emperors we overthrew were simply rejected by the Senate and people. Absolutely no funny business here.

But what about the-

Roman Army: Did we stutter!?

As for the issue of republicanism, I don't think the Empire should become a Republic, at least not in the near future. It'd take some serious radical changes and the dismantling of the old order for it to even be possible, and I doubt this will be a popular choice for practically every Roman regardless of their social standing. Constitutional monarchy is possible but abandoning the Emperor seems rather unlikely.

If we look at the time, it would be much better to move toward absolutism than move toward republicanism or constitutionalism. Any form of "democracy" at this point in time would simply be a power to the nobility and patricians (in the Hanseatic meaning) versus the crown and general population. Absolutism would instead unify power around the civil service and army.

If we look at the time, it would be much better to move toward absolutism than move toward republicanism or constitutionalism. Any form of "democracy" at this point in time would simply be a power to the nobility and patricians (in the Hanseatic meaning) versus the crown and general population. Absolutism would instead unify power around the civil service and army.
I agree with you, considering the chaotic situation that the Empire is facing right now, but I just can't see the Trapezuntines finding any reason to abandon the Emperor, since it is one of the hallmarks of contemporary Roman society and identity, so a constitutional monarchy is more likely in my eyes than a republic for a future Trebizond/Rhomania.

I completely agree, it was strong men that more than usually saved the empire from certain destruction. A regression into democracy would only constitute the death of the Roman state and culture.

Eparkhos

Banned
I can't update tonight because I've got a research paper, but that also means I'll be chained to my desk for the next six hours. Any questions of comments would be welcomed.

Eparkhos

Banned
how greek is anatolia ?
Northern Coast is roughly 80% Greek, West Coast is roughly 50% Greek, Bithynia and Bosphorus Coast is roughly 60%, most of the rest is mostly Turkish. The largest concentration of Greeks would be in the mountains around Cilicia, where they make up around a quarter.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
I can't update tonight because I've got a research paper, but that also means I'll be chained to my desk for the next six hours. Any questions of comments would be welcomed.
1632212294422.png

On the Future of the Timeline

Eparkhos

Banned
Forgive me if this comes off as rambling, I have a bunch of thoughts on the subject that I want to get out.

I enjoy writing this timeline. That's kind of obvious, of course, given that I've written more than 200k words so far, but I feel like it has to be said. I don't think there's much of a future in writing like this. I'm getting to a point in life where I want to focus on doing things that will increase my future prospects of employment and/or publication, and there's not really a market for alternate history essays. I love doing this, of course, and I love interacting with everyone who reads my works---a hearty thanks to all y'all for the likes and the comments, they mean a lot--but I just don't think it's a good idea for my future prospects. I only have so much time in the day (if I even have any free time) and if the choice is between writing AH essays or writing and drafting short stories and novels that would make me a legitimately-published-in-IRL author I have to choose the latter.

In short, I won't be resuming writing, at least not in the current form.

This brings me to two options:

1. Make a final 'capstone' essay/update covering Trapezuntine History up to 1668, the beginning of the personal union with Albania-Morea, which would probably be around 5-10k words posted in 3-5 updates once it's all been finished. I like the finality that this option gives me, but I'm afraid that covering it mile-wide inch-deep like this would be a bad ending to a timeline I've put so much effort into, and that it would make some developments I feel I can justify in 'normal' update style come off as unrealistic and borderline ASB.

2. Ditch the essay-style updates and go full in on the narrative. This'll take a lot more time and effort, but it would allow me to keep the story going and hone my talents as a narrative writer, maybe even be the groundwork for a compiled e-book. On the face of it I like this option more, but it'll also take a whole hell of a lot of time and drag the story out by quite a bit. But maybe that's a good thing? I'm not sure. As a final note, my midterms will start a week after Thanksgiving, so I won't be able to get out more than a handful of updates in the case of Option 2 for about the next month.

I'll be happy to work on either option, but before I embark on something I'd like to ask the audience what y'all think. Which option should I take?

Forgive me if this comes off as rambling, I have a bunch of thoughts on the subject that I want to get out.

I enjoy writing this timeline. That's kind of obvious, of course, given that I've written more than 200k words so far, but I feel like it has to be said. I don't think there's much of a future in writing like this. I'm getting to a point in life where I want to focus on doing things that will increase my future prospects of employment and/or publication, and there's not really a market for alternate history essays. I love doing this, of course, and I love interacting with everyone who reads my works---a hearty thanks to all y'all for the likes and the comments, they mean a lot--but I just don't think it's a good idea for my future prospects. I only have so much time in the day (if I even have any free time) and if the choice is between writing AH essays or writing and drafting short stories and novels that would make me a legitimately-published-in-IRL author I have to choose the latter.

1. Make a final 'capstone' essay/update covering Trapezuntine History up to 1668, the beginning of the personal union with Albania-Morea, which would probably be around 5-10k words posted in 3-5 updates once it's all been finished. I like the finality that this option gives me, but I'm afraid that covering it mile-wide inch-deep like this would be a bad ending to a timeline I've put so much effort into, and that it would make some developments I feel I can justify in 'normal' update style come off as unrealistic and borderline ASB.

2. Ditch the essay-style updates and go full in on the narrative. This'll take a lot more time and effort, but it would allow me to keep the story going and hone my talents as a narrative writer, maybe even be the groundwork for a compiled e-book. On the face of it I like this option more, but it'll also take a whole hell of a lot of time and drag the story out by quite a bit. But maybe that's a good thing? I'm not sure. As a final note, my midterms will start a week after Thanksgiving, so I won't be able to get out more than a handful of updates in the case of Option 2 for about the next month.

I'll be happy to work on either option, but before I embark on something I'd like to ask the audience what y'all think. Which option should I take?
I definitly like the second option it seems like a good common ground, it would be sad to have this fantastic timeline unfinished or leave it with an abridged version of the ending.

Just don't leave us hanging, would be my request. If that means a superficial overview as an epilogue, so be it.
But the second option does sound better if you can manage it.

But. What works for you.

My personal opinion is that the essay can be used as a framing device for the narrative sections of the story, and as a blueprint for the future of the timeline.

2 seems like a better option. Like I'm fine with slower updates too, just pace yourself properly. I hope we'll get to getting modern tech with an alt WWI. How much have you planned? I think ditching the short stories should be fine.

PS: I think you can still write short stories with alt hist. I'm pretty sure you can write a great story with David, for example. Plenty of people don't know what trebizond and the karamanids are but if it's a great story they'll read it.

I think too many timelines keep going on and on, all the while slowly losing plot and plausibility as the overarching arc in which they started slowly passed. They begin with hard butterflies and significant changes but then retain the same macro trends as otl for the sake of narrative simplicity, in essence diluting the value and importance of the original PoD and the divergences it brought.

In my opinion, rather than allow it to become a soap opera, it is always better to just release a "finale" episode and finish the arc that started with Trebizond nearly getting subsumed by the Ottomans. You can always come back for another season/arc if you feel like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.