The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

He listened plenty. Just not the ' Hey, don't go to war. We have young children who need their father and you could die.' part.
Arguably the most important part.

I feel for Maisie. It's understadanble she'd be more protective and attached to her sweet daughter after such a loss. Hopefully, she will be able to drag herself out of this soon enough.

February 1474.
February 1474. Westminster Palace, England.

The dark liquid flowed freely out of the jar and into the silver cup, Edward holding tightly to the handle as he served two cups full of wine for himself and Lord Montagu. When he was done, he set the jar aside and picked up the two cups with his hands.

“Here, cousin,” said Edward, turning to face John Neville. “Drink with me as we speak.”

John dipped his chin in thanks as he accepted the drink, but his face was displeased, certainly already knowing what Edward wanted to discuss with him. The King did not let his expression deter him as he walked around his desk, coming to sit at his chair with a multitude of papers before him.

He gestured for John to sit as well and his cousin did, pulling his chair for himself as he took a polite sip from his wine. Edward did the same.

“I’m sure you have heard now that Parliament has accepted to return Northumberland to Henry Percy, as I have been petitioning them since my return from captivity,” Edward started and his cousin merely stared at him, face impassive but eyes full of disappointment. “England must have peace, cousin. Everything else must be set aside.”

“His Grace must do what he thinks is best,” John replied. “Even if it means ignoring the bloody deaths of his kin, deaths caused by the hot-headed Percys.”

Edward rolled his eyes. “And I’m sure the Percys would say much of the same if I asked them about letting the title remain with you,” he said. “I have given my blessing to Henry Percy’s marriage to Maud Herbert, daughter to the 1st Earl of Cardiff, which was held in early January. From this day forward, Henry and Maud will be known as the 4th Earl of Northumberland and his Countess.” He paused, looking at his cousin from under his golden eyelashes and a smile curled his lips. “Whereas you and your wife, beyond the Montagu lands, will also be known as the Marquis and Marchioness of Dorset.”

John, who was drinking from his cup once more, spluttered, choking and coughing. Edward chuckled as he waited for him to recompose himself. When it happened, his cousin turned to him with wide brown eyes. “Sire?”

“The Dorset lands are rich and vast,” he said. “I’m sure it will compensate the loss of Northumberland, especially now that you have inherited the Neville estates of your deceased brother. You will be a very rich man, as will your son once you go to meet our Lord.” Edward paused again. “More else, with the childless death of the old Earl of Worcester, his great-nephew will now be called the First Earl in a new creation… Your son will receive an earldom of his own, cousin. I have already begun to organize the ceremony.”

“Your Grace,” said John. “I do not know what to say.”

“You must say nothing beyond voicing your agreement to my next proposal,” Edward replied. He stood up and walked to the wall next to him, waving John closer. His cousin, awed and shocked, moved slowly with wide eyes and his mouth fell open when Edward opened a small panel on the wall, exposing an opening into the other room. “Come here. See her.”

Edward spared the other occupant a single glance. She was dressed in a fine green dress that made her auburn hair shine brighter, the locks tightly woven into an elaborate braid held together by emerald pins that glittered as she moved her face this way and that way. She was playing the lute expertly, eyes closed and tongue peeking out in concentration as her music teacher observed her in silence.

George looked into the small window and then back to him. “Sire?”

“My daughter, Lady Elizabeth Plantagenet,” said Edward. “With your agreement, I will have her made the Countess of Worcester when your son reaches majority.”

“Your Grace, the offer is…”

Edward interrupted him, “Honourable, I know it,” he murmured. “My Bess will grow into a fine and beautiful woman, as her mother was, and it will make your son close to the Prince of Wales, now that they are to be brothers. His future will be quite bright, married to a scion of the Royal House, don’t you think, cousin?” He looked at him, arching an eyebrow.

John Neville smiled broadly and nodded. “Yes, Sire, I very much think so.”

Edward smiled in return. With Bess safely betrothed and Grace already married to the Earl of Leicester, he only had the future of Arthur to settle. His captivity at Grafton Manor had given him much to think about his children and what would happen to them once he died. He had already made Madeleine regent and guardian over his legitimate heirs in case he died before Prince Edward came of age, but she had no loyalty towards his bastards. No responsibility to see them settled in their own houses, with their own money and their security. It was his duty to do so.

He spared one more glance to his cousin before he turned back to see Bess, who was unaware of what had just happened in the room next to hers.

Hours later, he was alone once more, preparing the letter that was to be sent to Shute with a marriage proposal for the Baroness Harington when his door opened and Jane Woodville came inside.

“Lady Rivers?” Edward asked. He had not seen nor thought of her in many months, since she left court to her husband’s estate to give birth. It was a boy they named Edward, who now stood to inherit his father’s title. The child must have been left in Grafton Regis when his mother returned to court to serve the Queen, since the Countess was one of Madeleine’s most trusted ladies.

She made a him a curtsy and, noticing there was no one else in the room with him, closed the door. “The Queen’s baby has come, Your Grace,” she murmured. “Both the child and Her Grace are well and hale. It was an easy labour by all accounts and both the midwife and the physicians say there is no reason to worry.”

Edward nodded, a smile curling his lips. “And the child’s sex?” he asked, already pulling fresh paper for his Private Secretary to draft the announcement.

“A girl, Your Grace,” said Lady Rivers. “And the Queen has charged me with requesting His Grace’s permission to name the child Margaret, after Lady Richmond, whom she hopes to be made godmother.”

Edward mulled the subject over before he nodded again, standing up. “Very well,” he said. “But do not fret over taking the message back. I will come to see the Queen and meet my new daughter right away.”

Lady Rivers nodded and made him a new curtsy when he passed through her.

“Your Grace, the offer is…”

Edward interrupted him, “Honourable, I know it,” he murmured. “My Bess will grow into a fine and beautiful woman, as her mother was, and it will make your son close to the Prince of Wales, now that they are to be brothers. His future will be quite bright, married to a scion of the Royal House, don’t you think, cousin?” He looked at him, arching an eyebrow.

John Neville smiled broadly and nodded. “Yes, Sire, I very much think so.”

Edward smiled in return. With Bess safely betrothed and Grace already married to the Earl of Leicester, he only had the future of Arthur to settle. His captivity at Grafton Manor had given him much to think about his children and what would happen to them once he died. He had already made Madeleine regent and guardian over his legitimate heirs in case he died before Prince Edward came of age, but she had no loyalty towards his bastards. No responsibility to see them settled in their own houses, with their own money and their security. It was his duty to do so.
Good to see Edward taking care of his kids. It’s definitely his responsibility after all, he shouldn’t just expect others to see it done for him.

It would have to be another bastard since I doubt Edward would we’d his legitimate children to a bastard, even a bastard of the Pope. Though I think one of his nieces might be considered.

It would have to be another bastard since I doubt Edward would we’d his legitimate children to a bastard, even a bastard of the Pope. Though I think one of his nieces might be considered.
True, but if Edward wanted something from the Pope it could be a possible price he’d have to pay.

Thinking of Italy, perhaps there could be a Medici-York match…OTL Edward left a sizeable debt to the Medici Bank’s branch in London (apparently enough to contribute to their collapse 16 years before the bank was liquidated)…maybe a Medici girl could end up as an English royal duchess. Edward could ask for the debt being forgiven to be considered the dowry