The Sun, The Stars and The Sickle: Alt-WWII and a Tripolar Postwar World

What would you like to see next

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
pic193606.jpg

That's about the largest playable variant, there are ones with hundreds of pieces and thousands of squares, but they are more like works of art than actual playable games.

That's...ow my brain.
If I ever decide to learn shogi, I'm just going to stick to the smaller version, because this is where it's stops being like chess and more being like Total War...and I'm already not that good at Total War.

I wonder if the army will start releasing their Type 3 equivalents for use outside the home islands.

To which Type 3 equipment are you referring?

If it's the Type 3 Chi-Nu tank, there is not yet a TTL equivalent- thus far, the Type 1 Chi-He with a 6pdr is considered good enough by the IJA, in tandem with the 8pdr (60mm/L59) towed AT gun.

Last edited:
To which Type 3 equipment are you referring?

If it's the Type 3 Chi-Nu tank, there is not yet a TTL equivalent- thus far, the Type 1 Chi-He with a 6pdr is considered good enough by the IJA, in tandem with the 8pdr (60mm/L59) towed AT gun.

To be fair, wasn't the Chi-Nu (and to a much better extent, the Type 4 Chi-To) designed as a counter to the M4 Sherman? Granted, I don't know (or think really) that China is using anything comparable to the Sherman against the Allies here (last I checked at best they may be using Panzer III's and even then it's nothing the Chi-He can't handle), so I don't exactly see a reason to get rid of the Chi-He.

To be fair, wasn't the Chi-Nu (and to a much better extent, the Type 4 Chi-To) designed as a counter to the M4 Sherman? Granted, I don't know (or think really) that China is using anything comparable to the Sherman against the Allies here (last I checked at best they may be using Panzer III's and even then it's nothing the Chi-He can't handle), so I don't exactly see a reason to get rid of the Chi-He.

That is exactly the case. By this point, the most common Chinese armoured fighting vehicle is the licence-built StuG III, with the Pz. III coming in second. The upgunned over OTL Chi-He can readily deal with these vehicles, but even Chi-Hes are in short supply due to the IJN's higher priority for armour grade alloys. The IJA still extensively uses the Chi-Ha kai, fitted with welded armour, a licence-produced 2pdr and a radio as standard.

With that much light armour to deal with, I could see the IJA circulating the Type 97 Automatic Cannon more extensively:

WTW-Japanese-Type-97-ATR-3-e1560988894736.jpg

and replacing the cumbersome arrangement of four carrying handles with a lightweight wheeled carriage. The leichetes Feldlafette for the German 2.8cm sPzB 41 designed for paratroopers should do nicely, and Polish partisans may be able to capture one and smuggle at least specifications out for evaluation:

pzb41.jpg

Prince Nashimoto has the enviable position of not having to care about what Tojo thinks. He's old enough that he could retire and it would not be looked upon with shame. He is also Chief of the General Staff, and as such, there are only two people he must answer to- Army Minister Prince Kotohito Kan'in (the Emperor's great uncle) and the Emperor himself. As CGS, he has performed well and has the respect of his superiors and subordinates, so Tojo can really do nothing to assail his position.

Count Terauchi is also sure to participate in acts of magnamity expected of a wealthy noble, such as paying off the debts of young subordinates of good character, patronage of the arts and sciences, trying to teach Douglas MacArthur how to play shogi...

It was a challenge getting the source of the Emperor's quotes... it happens to be from Admiral of the Fleet Osami Nagano's memoirs, which maybe somewhat canted in his favour. Plus, there is nothing salacious about the Emperor at all, only that he, in Nagano's view at least, provided good counsel.
As far as I can tell, Nashimoto iOTL was arrested as a war criminal, but it seems he was more or less a hostage for the behavior for the rest of the Royal Family rather than someone that *anyone* in the US Military administration wanted put up against the wall and shot.

MacArthur being viewed as unable to understand Go. :)

The question is whether Terauchi is doing this entirely selflessly or whether he will expect the two men to owe him loyalty. (The third option is that he is doing this not selflessly, but because he is taking a gamble politically that has turned out *really* well)

Good for Nagano. Almost certainly will live longer iTTL.

Also, looking up Nagano, I ended up at the Wikipedia page for Sugamo prison. This lead to the page on the "Peace Preservation Law". I'm not really *that* sure the Law would be that much less Draconian than iOTL, the Japanese-Soviet relationship still isn't going to be great. Which leads to another topic. Whither Richard Sorge?

Considering close ties between Japan and Britain, Japan's cryptography is probably more advanced than OTL. Especially since IIRC, plenty of educated Jewish refugees fleeing Europe to the Far East don't really mind helping serving in Japan, as mentioned by @WaterproofPotatoes at one point. Particularly in the cipher department. Considering how Russian antisemitism was a thing of legend long before the Nazis turned up, I'd say they'd be quite happy to make sure the Soviets aren't reading Japan's diplomatic and military codes.

If anything, it'd be the other way around. That is, the Japanese are routinely intercepting and reading Soviet diplomatic and military traffic, with intelligence sharing and cooperation with their allies in the Commonwealth.

As far as I can tell, Nashimoto iOTL was arrested as a war criminal, but it seems he was more or less a hostage for the behavior for the rest of the Royal Family rather than someone that *anyone* in the US Military administration wanted put up against the wall and shot.

MacArthur being viewed as unable to understand Go. :)

The question is whether Terauchi is doing this entirely selflessly or whether he will expect the two men to owe him loyalty. (The third option is that he is doing this not selflessly, but because he is taking a gamble politically that has turned out *really* well)

Good for Nagano. Almost certainly will live longer iTTL.

Also, looking up Nagano, I ended up at the Wikipedia page for Sugamo prison. This lead to the page on the "Peace Preservation Law". I'm not really *that* sure the Law would be that much less Draconian than iOTL, the Japanese-Soviet relationship still isn't going to be great. Which leads to another topic. Whither Richard Sorge?

I wonder how much time it would take to just set up a game of Ultimate Shogi! Interestingly enough, the huge variants are very hard to play strategically as they require the player's attention in so many places- it can become a game of tactics and operations.

Prince Nashimoto always stuck me as the wrong scapegoat, as he was essentially pushed out of any sort of military planning precisely because he was not a radical militarist. If any member of the Imperial Family should have stood to account, it should have been Prince Yasuhiko Asaka.

Nagano will indeed live longer- thus far, the war has been less stressful for him. The IJN has been successful in virtually everything they have attempted. Together with Navy Minister Mitsumasa Yonai, the Navy has also been able to get nearly all of its projects funded, so that the Communazis don't come and bomb Tokyo next week.

For Field Marshal Count Terauchi, the answer is all three. He is the son of a former prime minister and knows how to play politics as well. Such acts are also part of Bushido- the commander is expected to show generosity and duty of care; the subordinate returns it with absolute loyalty.

As for Sorge, I could see him posing as a Svobodnik in Manchuokuo, trying to feel out what plans Japan has against the Soviet Union.

Considering close ties between Japan and Britain, Japan's cryptography is probably more advanced than OTL. Especially since IIRC, plenty of educated Jewish refugees fleeing Europe to the Far East don't really mind helping serving in Japan, as mentioned by @WaterproofPotatoes at one point. Particularly in the cipher department. Considering how Russian antisemitism was a thing of legend long before the Nazis turned up, I'd say they'd be quite happy to make sure the Soviets aren't reading Japan's diplomatic and military codes.

If anything, it'd be the other way around. That is, the Japanese are routinely intercepting and reading Soviet diplomatic and military traffic, with intelligence sharing and cooperation with their allies in the Commonwealth.

That is exactly the case!

OTL, there was a widely-believed idea that if Japan helped the Jews, they would return the favour by aiding Japan and the Empire by helping to generate wealth- a negative stereotype spun into a superpower!

TTL, Japan does have much better military intelligence, taught by British and Polish spymasters. Japan eagerly cooperates with the British and Polish governments to find out as much as possible about the USSR, and in turn, provides aid to the Polish government in exile. Evenfar- rightist Poles tend to view Japan favourably, as Japan will welcome the Jews they don't want.

There is extensive spying on the Soviet Union, and a focus on finding out how Mao is being funded and acquiring weapons- the IJA, Manchukuo Imperial Army and the Mengjiang National Army have all devoted time and resources to fighting the Communists. The Chinese Nationalists have dispatched Du Yuesheng to deal with the Communists, by everything from counterinsurgency warfare, to dropping opium on Communist villages and encampments to try to make them into addicts.

There are indeed many Jews serving the Empire of Japan, and Manchukuo in particular. Manchukuo has no quotas on Jewish immigration, and laws in place preventing discrimination against Jews, permitting the free exercise of Judaism, and even penalizing the sale of food falsely labeled as Kosher- and Svobodniki (Free People; anti-Communist Russian emigres) are reminded that they have the same protections for the Russian language and the Orthodox Church, so they must not do anything that would upset the balance in Manchukuo. The cipher department is well-represented, as the ability to speak German or Russian is in high demand.

I thought the Soviet Onion used one time pads?

They did! TTL, Sorge's posting is less rewarding, but far less risky. He would be posing as a Mennonite of German extraction, forced to flee after the purges of the Kulaks, now working as a farm equipment dealer living near Harbin, with dealings in Hsinking as well. It's much harder to pick up the crumbs that fall from the IJA's table TTL

Nagano will indeed live longer- thus far, the war has been less stressful for him. The IJN has been successful in virtually everything they have attempted. Together with Navy Minister Mitsumasa Yonai, the Navy has also been able to get nearly all of its projects funded, so that the Communazis don't come and bomb Tokyo next week.

For Field Marshal Count Terauchi, the answer is all three. He is the son of a former prime minister and knows how to play politics as well. Such acts are also part of Bushido- the commander is expected to show generosity and duty of care; the subordinate returns it with absolute loyalty.

As for Sorge, I could see him posing as a Svobodnik in Manchuokuo, trying to feel out what plans Japan has against the Soviet Union.
The fact that the Navy has been able to get everything funded actually surprises me. I expect the Navy is rapidly approaching the point that the OTL USA did in late 1944, it simply isn't to their advantage to keep building ships. All of the Naval Powers have lost fewer ships than they did iOTL, heck the USA *alone* could replace every ship that the allies have lost to TTL Axis.

At a certain point, this logic simply will lead to tipping the funding toward the IJA over the IJN.

So Terauchi expects loyalty from the two men he helped, hopefully things won't be in a situation where he calls in the marker.

Japan and the Soviet Union on the same side has to be on of the more uncomfortable alliances in History

Japan and the Soviet Union on the same side has to be on of the more uncomfortable alliances in History

Just like OTL then, as the British only cooperated with the Soviets because the Nazis were worse. And even then Churchill was willing to double-cross them in the long-term, and would have done so as soon as possible if not for FDR's left-wing sympathies (that, and his administration was riddled with Soviet plants and agents).

The fact that the Navy has been able to get everything funded actually surprises me. I expect the Navy is rapidly approaching the point that the OTL USA did in late 1944, it simply isn't to their advantage to keep building ships. All of the Naval Powers have lost fewer ships than they did iOTL, heck the USA *alone* could replace every ship that the allies have lost to TTL Axis.

At a certain point, this logic simply will lead to tipping the funding toward the IJA over the IJN.

So Terauchi expects loyalty from the two men he helped, hopefully things won't be in a situation where he calls in the marker.

The IJN has actually cut some projects, such as new battlecruisers, scaled back a light cruiser class and reduced construction of new destroyers. Currently, the highest priorities are finishing fitout for the battleships Yamato and Musashi, launching Shinano, completing trials for the carrier Taiho and the A7M carrier fighter.

The loyalty which Miyabara and Yoshioka owe Terauchi is essentially the loyalty owed by the samurai to the daimyo or shogun- and being the Marshal's chosen officers is a definite career boost too.

It is indeed uncomfortable. They are definitely more along the lines of mutually distrustful co-belligerents.

Just like OTL then, as the British only cooperated with the Soviets because the Nazis were worse. And even then Churchill was willing to double-cross them in the long-term, and would have done so as soon as possible if not for FDR's left-wing sympathies (that, and his administration was riddled with Soviet plants and agents).

I can only imagine how Henry Wallace will react to this alliance, let alone a meeting with Prince Konoe...

Last edited:

IIRC in OTL Churchill said something that if Hitler ever invaded hell, that he would at least make a favorable mention of the devil in the House of Commons.

IIRC in OTL Churchill said something that if Hitler ever invaded hell, that he would at least make a favorable mention of the devil in the House of Commons.

Which confirms what Jaenera said. Churchill will be willing to cooperate with anyone and everyone so long as Hitler and his cronies are neither brought to justice or put in body bags. Yeah, strange bedfellows, but hey, common interests for as long as interests align.

The IJN has actually cut some projects, such as new battlecruisers, scaled back a light cruiser class and reduced construction of new destroyers. Currently, the highest priorities are finishing fitout for the battleships Yamato and Musashi, launching Shinano, completing trials for the carrier Taiho and the A7M carrier fighter.

The loyalty which Miyabara and Yoshioka is essentially the loyalty owed by the samurai to the daimyo or shogun- and being the Marshal's chosen officers is a definite career boost too.

It is indeed uncomfortable. They are definitely more along the lines of mutually distrustful co-belligerents.
Even so, there is a limit to how many warships you can justify with an essentially landbound opponent. And while good for Morale, only so many ships that it makes sense to send to help in the Atlantic. Though I'm sure as the Chinese tried to go along the Malay Peninsula, every ship helped...

So they have essentially taken the bargain to be the Marshall's chosen samurai.

And the Japanese are convinced that every truck that they send to Vladivostok to help the Russians is likely to one day be attacking Manchukuo. (and I'm not sure they are wrong)

I'd say *one* tick less awkward than the KMT/CCP alliance against the Japanese iOTL...

Status
Not open for further replies.