The Strathconian Map Silo

Deleted member 101966

Okay, I've been deliberately waiting for Page 2 to post some of my non-fictional maps.

counties_of_colorado_by_strathconabooster-db1s0mt.png

[Non-Fictional] Counties of Colorado

Okay, so I'm basically posting this as a demonstration - I have the data, I can do a variety of software tasks, and I really like manual labeling. Is it pretty easy to edit this data in order to make it fictional? The answer is, yes, it frequently is! If you like anything I've posted in this thread so far, odds are that I can pull it off again and more - and it's summertime, so I have some nice lazy evenings ahead of me anyway.

If you have a high-effort concept for a map that might take actual work to illustrate, feel perfectly free to PM me about it!! The more related to Western Canada your concept is, the less money I'll shake you down for.

Deleted member 101966

Okay, okay, this is probably the nicest non-fictional map I've done...

ftx7ZfK.png

[Non-Fictional] Rural Municipalities of Alberta

Alberta is single-tier, so it doesn't actually have county seats, just administrative office locations, which can be (and are frequently) changed at will. I had to track down all their locations by myself! Fear me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 101966

This is one of my zanier side projects...

the_british_american_republic__a_special_report_by_strathconabooster-dan4sm5.png

The British American Republic

Throughout Canadian history, English Canada has frightened its caretakers by somehow being more enthusiastically British than Britain herself. Here we see that tendency taken to its logical conclusion... a completely incoherent totalitarian regime, from sea to sea.

It's not British, it's not American, and if the omnipresent portraits of "Her Eternal Majesty" are any indication, it's not much of a Republic either! (Legally, she's meant to be Elizabeth II, but few citizens are entrusted with her real name, and her face always looks a lot more like Victoria's...) The B.A.R. has progressed shockingly little since the 1930s. At first maintaining its independence by striking a deeply unusual balance between the United Kingdom and the United States, the country now guarantees its continued existence by turning itself into the largest liability in the entire world. The birthrates are high, the electricity is rationed, and the Uranium City complex up at Lake Athabasca houses at least 50,000 hardworking patriots. God save the Republic, long may she reign!

This is... brilliant. Really. You should post your new stuff you make on the main Map Thread! I wouldn't have even known about this really reaaaaally AMAZING work if I hadn't clicked this thread by sheer boredom. I'm actually in awe of your amazing skills. Please post some on the Map Thread and show the rest of the board your skills. Please.

Deleted member 101966

Okay, here's an expanded version...

Vki0bv2.png

[New Columbia] Counties of Kanamonta

I really like municipal government and classifications of municipal government, so here are 60 counties and 5 classifications thereof. Also note the logos and symbols! It can't be too hard to come up with 59 more provincial shields, right...??

Let me say that YOUR STUFF IS FRIGGIN' AWESOME!
Anyway, how did the British American Republic become so totalitarian? You mention "Special Economic Zones". Are they like China's Economic Zones, where capitalism runs free in a communist state?

Deleted member 101966

The deed is done!!

j7uBKBq.png

[New Columbia] The Free and Just Province of Kanamonta

In 1848, the Commonwealth of New Columbia purchased the Manitou Territory from its eponymous holding company, which had been intentionally discouraging agricultural settlement in their lands in order to keep trading profitable: by 1859, the resulting rush of settlement up the Great Manitou River caused the Kanamonta and Natimik Territories to be partitioned away from the rest. Continuously growing in population and importance, Kanamonta achieved provincehood in 1893. (The long-form names are a relic of the Company days: not depicted here is the Free and Just Province of Exalted-Land-of-Virtue-and-Righteousness-on-the-Sea-of-Manitou-Held-in-Trust-for-All-Mankind.)

Kanamonta has always been meant as an archetypical prairie province, with a reasonable population of maybe 1.9 million, and a reasonably-sized all-centralizing city in Wawaskesy, from which every highway must inevitably emanate. Here's the final result: 60 counties, 154 highways, and 337 populated places. Ask me any damn thing about this map, I've spent long enough working at it that I can probably field everything!

Deleted member 81475

I'm really impressed by New Columbia! And super curious about the various etymologies of its provinces if you'd be up for sharing them.