The rise of the Sacred Segos. A Gaul-Hellenistic era ATL.

Chapter 23.The Battle of Telamon.
Chapter 23.The Battle of Telamon.

225 BC. Part three.

The Roman pursuit

Consul Lucius Aemilius Papus left Ariminum as soon as he learnt of the Gauls crossing the Apennines, heading south, and then west across the mountains on the route that would later become the Via Flaminia. His seven-day-or-so march brought him to the battlefield just too late to take part. Both Gauls and Etrusco-Sabines knew what his camp fires meant, and the latter sent messengers over the wooded heights.

About now the Gauls finally realised what they were up against – a new army on their heels – and must have reckoned on another army defending Rome. They held a council, at which the war-chief Aneroestes declared that, having captured so much booty, they should not risk fighting again, but should get their booty home safe, and return to fight the Romans another day. No doubt the thought of looting eastern Etruria as well played an unspoken part. After a debate, this course was adopted and once again the Gauls broke camp before daybreak. With wooded heights impassable to wagons to west and east, they were forced to continue south for a day or so, slowed to the pace of the ox-wagons containing their booty, and the speed they could drive herds at.

Aemilius bided his time, cautiously nibbling at the heels of the Gallic army, and doubtless hoping to trap them between himself and the army ahead of them at Rome. When the terrain opened out just north of Lake Volsiniensis, they suddenly turned west and headed for the coast, which they reached in about three or four days, and then turned north up the Via Aurelia. Meanwhile in accordance with the strategic plan, Consul Gaius Atilius Regulus had embarked his army and landed at Pisa, a voyage of around of three to four days with the prevailing westerly/south-westerly winds. Upon arriving at Pisa Atilius was informed about the alarming situation in Narbonensis(south france)Gaul.

A change of plan

As soon as the Gauls turned west toward the coast, messengers speed up the Via Aurelia to Pisa to advise the Consul Atilius, plans changed, and he now must immediately marched south. The messengers told the Consul of an ideal place to fight the Gauls, if he did not know it already, namely a large defile, just north of Telamon. The Romans also knew exactly where the Gallic host were, and their speed, no more than twelve to fifteen miles per day. Calculations will have shown there was just time to get there and “bottle up” the Gauls. He force-marched, and covered the 90 miles or so in three days.

Just as the Gauls camped overnight to the south of the defile, the Romans camped some ten miles to the north of the defile. Hurrying on at first light, the Romans captured some Gallic scouts and learned just how near the Gallic force was – already entering the defile, which surprised Atilius, and that his fellow consul was on their heels. He ordered the tribunes to form the army in line of battle, and advance as rapidly as possible. It was going to be a close-run thing. He himself led his 3,200 cavalry on ahead, for he could see directly ahead of him a hill which dominated the road, which dog-legged around it.

Atilius seized the crest, and the Gauls, still ignorant that any Roman army could possibly lie between them and home, assumed that Aemilius’ cavalry had somehow got around their flank on the other side of the hills and got ahead of them. They sent their own cavalry ahead, probably around five thousand strong, together with light troops, to drive them off and open the way. Captured prisoners revealed the presence of Atilius and his army, which could soon be seen. The Gauls at last realised they were trapped between the wooded and scrub covered hills to East and West. They did the only thing they could, and formed up back-to-back, the Insubres and Gaesatae facing the rear, and the Boii, Taurini and lesser tribes facing the Romans to the north. In order to stretch their line, they placed wagons and their chariots on their flanks. The booty – slaves, herds and laden ox-wagons – was placed under guard on a low hill that skirted the road. The Gaesatae, out of bravado, stood naked along their front line.

The Battle of Telamon

Aemilius had known that his colleague had landed at Pisa, but only now realised he had arrived, when he saw the struggle for the hill. He knew the Gauls had more cavalry than his colleague, and hastened to send his own 3,200 cavalry along the foothills to join the massive cavalry battle and strike the Gallic rear. Atilius in the meantime fought ferociously to hold the hill. He fell in the melee, fighting with desperate courage, and his head was triumphantly brought to the Gallic chiefs.

All eyes were on the pell-mell battle for the hill. The infantry forces of the three armies now closed on one another, and it was a matter of some doubt as to who was in the better position, the Gauls back-to-back and thus protected from being attacked in the rear, or the Romans who had their foes trapped. The good order of the Gauls, and the wall of sound coming from their ranks from innumerable trumpets and horns and war-cries terrified the Romans as they advanced, not to mention the cavorting Gaesatae, shrieking and shaking their weapons prominently in the front ranks of the 1.5 mile (2.5km) long front line.

The velites in Aemilius’ army, almost 14,000 light infantry, ran out and started hurling streams of javelins into the ranks of the Gaesatae. Being naked, and with heads and limbs exposed outside their shields they soon began to suffer against an enemy they could not harm, their own light troops being absent with the cavalry in the battle for the hill. In rage and impotence, some groups broke ranks and charged forward suicidally, while most shrank back into the Insubres. Once out of javelins, the velites of both Roman armies withdrew through the ranks and the grim confrontation of heavy infantry began with both sides hurling pila and gaesa (heavy throwing spears), and eventually closing hand-to-hand.

Meanwhile, the battle on the hill had been resolved in favour of the now more numerous Romans, who had driven the Gallic cavalry back to the next hill, from where they broke away northward in flight. The victorious Roman cavalry then charged down into the flanks and rear of the Gauls, and the defile became a killing field. The war-chief Concolitanus and ten thousand of the surrounded Gauls were captured. More than twenty thousand were killed, but many thousands slipped away up the wooded slopes to either side.

The other war-chief Aneroestes escaped with his household warriors, but from shame they committed suicide. The rescued booty was returned to the Etruscans, the collected spoil sent to Rome.

LLTHMQ0.jpg

Xenon: Let' see how our brothers are doing against Rome.

(Reads about Telamon.)

Xenon:...Hades....You had one job guys!

To be fair, Rome was very well prepared for the invasion, regardless of whatever surprises the gauls had in mind.

And dont forget they managed to kill a consul and crush a force of Rome's allies, all men they'll need when they have to fight Xenon abd Hamilcar

I do hope that Xenon + Carthage will be enough to push back Rome.

I'm curious as to how plausible a Trans-Alpine Gallic Kingdom could work - or could Xenon become "Lord of the Gauls", as sort of overlord rather than direct rule? It looks like Xenon is clearly the strongest of all the Gallic players atm.

Of Xenonic Liguria? :D

The idea of Gaul being repeatedly dragged into Italian nonsense sounds so amusingly typical that I can't help but think of it.

The Po Valley in Northern Italy is finally in the hands of Rome, only the recently defeated Gauls had the Staying presence to occupy it in defiance. Neither Xenon nor Hannibal can and I doubt Xenon wanting to be dragged into a pointless war there when he already achieved his goals.

I do hope that Xenon + Carthage will be enough to push back Rome.

Lets see. It's a nice match up. Hannibal is still young but his father Hamilcar was also a capable general. We also have a strong Gaulish kingdom with significant military capabilities. Rome from the other side have a huge manpool and great logistics. Lets see! Any bets?

I'm curious as to how plausible a Trans-Alpine Gallic Kingdom could work - or could Xenon become "Lord of the Gauls", as sort of overlord rather than direct rule? It looks like Xenon is clearly the strongest of all the Gallic players atm.

Kind of.. Xenon is a Philip of Macedon scenario. Can he unify all of Gauls? Difficult... but he is definitely the strongest,by far, of the Gaulish players.

The idea of Gaul being repeatedly dragged into Italian nonsense sounds so amusingly typical that I can't help but think of it.

:D

The Po Valley in Northern Italy is finally in the hands of Rome, only the recently defeated Gauls had the Staying presence to occupy it in defiance. Neither Xenon nor Hannibal can and I doubt Xenon wanting to be dragged into a pointless war there when he already achieved his goals.

With this victory, as you said, the Po Valley in Northern Italy is finally in the hands of Rome. In OTL they needed one more year to finish the job. I am also not sure if Xenon or Hamilcar will cross the alps, but Halimcar and Carthage will definitely hit Sicily. I an really curious what the Carthaginian strategy will be.

With this victory, as you said, the Po Valley in Northern Italy is finally in the hands of Rome. In OTL they needed one more year to finish the job. I am also not sure if Xenon or Hamilcar will cross the alps, but Halimcar and Carthage will definitely hit Sicily. I an really curious what the Carthaginian strategy will be.
It's certainly unfortunate for Xenon that the Cisalpine Gauls will be conquered by Rome. They would be a very valuable ally that could attack Rome from a flank, forcing them to fight on two fronts and limiting their ability to fight in Gaul.

I'm definitely hoping the Volcae and Carthaginians can win this war. Xenon's main objectives should be first to deal with the Roman colonies in Rhoda, Emporion and especially Agathe to deny Rome a beachhead into his territory, then to conquer or subjugate the Massalian city-states and nearby tribes and fortify that border. If he can do that then he will reasonably safe from attack from any direction and can focus on expanding north, assimilating more tribes and developing the army and economy.

Guess the broken remnants of the Gauls will be heading west, if possible?

They went north. Don't forget: Rome didn't conquer the Po valley yet. In OTL The Po valley gauls received some extra reinforcements224 BC).

I'm definitely hoping the Volcae and Carthaginians can win this war. Xenon's main objectives should be first to deal with the Roman colonies in Rhoda, Emporion and especially Agathe to deny Rome a beachhead into his territory, then to conquer or subjugate the Massalian city-states and nearby tribes and fortify that border. If he can do that then he will reasonably safe from attack from any direction and can focus on expanding north, assimilating more tribes and developing the army and economy.

Its hard to say who will win this war. But you are right about Xenon he must definitely focus on Agathe and Massalia( since Hamilcar is marching against Emporion and Agathe).

Sorry for the delay in the updates. Next chapter will come in a few days tops!

If Xenon wins this war, what would be the effects on Roman expansionism? A strong Volcae state might be enough to keep them away from Gaul, and might tip the balance of power enough to prevent Rome from destroying and conquering Carthage. Will Rome try to expand east to the Adriatic Balkans and Greece?

I really hope you do, I enjoy this timeline and was worried you wouldn't continue it? Any idea when you will continue this timeline?
Thank you for you good words. I have some things ready for future updates but I don’t have time at the moment to work in editing and final touches. Plus I don’t want to spam a chapter per month. When i continue with this ATL I will have multiple updates ready. But if anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this ATL please free to post it.