Who should become the first president of new england?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I fully expect New England politics to be more progressive than both Canada and (old) England ITTL, due to its radical political tradition, its relative lack of a rigid class structure (which was also OTL during the early days of the US), and the fact that the country would be a heavily urbanized and industrialized coastal nation state - it has all the ingredients to become such a state.

Last edited:
could it be a settler colony? I'm pretty sure Taiwan had a tiny population for the time and size until ww2, right?

No why would Euros go to a tropical island when they have much better land in BNA and Australia? Taiwan would probably attract a lot of workers from Southern china and Japan with a sizable minority of people from India

Last edited:
No why would Euros go to a tropical island when they have much better land in BNA and Australia. Taiwan would probably attract a lot of workers from Southern china and Japan with a sizable minority of people from Indian descent.

No why would Euros go to a tropical island when they have much better land in BNA and Australia. Taiwan would probably attract a lot of workers from Southern china and Japan with a sizable minority of people from Indian descent.
The population of Taiwan in 1920 was approx 3 Million, not that tiny.

Hm, pretty good ideas for Asia as a whole. What do you guys think about Africa and South America then? What things happening in SA and Africa do you guys think would be non cliche?

Hm, pretty good ideas for Asia as a whole. What do you guys think about Africa and South America then? What things happening in SA and Africa do you guys think would be non cliche?
Well actually doing something with South America would be non cliche.
As for Africa, I don't know, maybe have some other nations be able to resist colonisation.

A neo Incan state in Peru that tries to invigorate Quechua language and culture has part of its state ideology.

Last edited:
Well actually doing something with South America would be non cliche.
As for Africa, I don't know, maybe have some other nations be able to resist colonisation.
Well African colonization will be pretty interesting however I am not sure on what direction to take it. I think my tl already gave a lot of action to South America with the Brazilian war of independence the Spanish reconquista the Argentinian civil war and the new Englander colonization. So I think I circumvented the nothing happens in SA cliche pretty well!

For African colonization:

I see New England and America getting on on it.

For New England its the money and prestige bit. The usual subjects and such. A lot will depend on whether they are still seen as Britain's plucky sidekick internationally.

For the USA, I am thinking whey abolish slavery about a decade later than OTL. But Colonization is much more supported/prominent because of Southern Populists that are Anti Planter and Anti Slave/Freedman. So America's colonies end up being technically independent republics, or maybe marketed as the United States of Africa or something, in the mold of Liberia. But American basing rights and Platt Amendment style treaties basically ensure these " Sovereign African-American States" are locked into American domination for generations.

Also unlike OTL it looks like there won't be Italy as great power to enter the ring; and I rather doubt any of the Italian states will pull a Belgium. Oh no Belgian Congo either, that's a big plus.

Austrian colonies?

View attachment 618125

And this is the map of the world in 1835!​
A few thoughts on the map. Japan and Russia are the same colour. Where is the border?
I assume that the light green in unclaimed, but Oregon is not unclaimed. In OTL, the US, UK, Spain/Mexico & Russia all claimed it. ITTL, Mexico isn't going to stop at the 42nd parallel without the Adams-Onis treaty, but the real power in the area are the British. I expect the British to claim all of Oregon, and expect New England to claim North Louisiana as a successor state to the USA.

I expect the British to claim all of Oregon, and expect New England to claim North Louisiana as a successor state to the USA.

The American Union is the one to have the actual boots on the ground in Northern Louisiana. The Kingdom tried to press a claim there but couldn't make it stick, so the current border was established in the same treaty that established the Kingdom officially.

The American Union is the one to have the actual boots on the ground in Northern Louisiana. The Kingdom tried to press a claim there but couldn't make it stick, so the current border was established in the same treaty that established the Kingdom officially.
The point was mainly about Oregon which the map has as terra nullius. In OTL it was claimed by the US, Britain, Spain/Mexico & Russia. In OTL, Spain abandoned the area North of 42N in the Adams-Onis treaty. But with a weak US, Britain, Russia and Mexico will all claim the region, and 42N will have no significance. I think the British will claim Oregon and extend the territory south of 42N.

In regard to North Louisiana, the US ITTL seems rather weak. All countries only obeyed treaties when it suited them. In the 19th century, the Anglo population was growing rapidly. In OTL significant areas of the Mid-West were settled by Yankees. The New English would be settling territories further west. It would be easy to foment an uprising in North Louisiana and claim that the American Union couldn't control the territory and that it should become a British or New English protectorate. Mishigama could be given a bit of it.

The point was mainly about Oregon which the map has as terra nullius. In OTL it was claimed by the US, Britain, Spain/Mexico & Russia. In OTL, Spain abandoned the area North of 42N in the Adams-Onis treaty. But with a weak US, Britain, Russia and Mexico will all claim the region, and 42N will have no significance. I think the British will claim Oregon and extend the territory south of 42N.

In regard to North Louisiana, the US ITTL seems rather weak. All countries only obeyed treaties when it suited them. In the 19th century, the Anglo population was growing rapidly. In OTL significant areas of the Mid-West were settled by Yankees. The New English would be settling territories further west. It would be easy to foment an uprising in North Louisiana and claim that the American Union couldn't control the territory and that it should become a British or New English protectorate. Mishigama could be given a bit of it.
Wouldn’t New England lack land connection to do that ? Also how open will the US be to New England immigration ?