Who should become the first president of new england?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are several differences between Quebec (Lower Canada), Texas and French Louisiana.

In case of Lower Canada and Upper Canadá it was not so much a rebellion against Britain like in Texas against Mexico but a rebellion against the way the political and economic elites had taken over the two colonies and were governing them.

The Texas rebellion was about the refusal of English speaking settlers to bow to a Mexican government whom they saw as corrupt not against their own local government since they actually had a lot of autonomy and were for most past left alone. The other major factor was that American settlers population in Texas was considerable larger compared to Spanish population (as a % of the total population) this is not the case in lower Canada or in French Louisiana ittl where the French were majority.

If the Mexican government had the ability to send thousands of Spanish settlers to Texas it would of made the American revolt there more difficult as such they had an advantage that American settlers in French Louisiana do not have.

French Louisiana in 1820s was a crossroads. Another 10 years and the French would be a minority and their influence and power slowly diminish. The time period is actually the last possible time the revolt could happen. If the Americans now faced with two wars fail then their independence is guaranteed. The Americans will pay little attention to Louisiana for the most important goal is subdue the north. The feeling in US would be that once north is subdued then Louisiana will fall the might of the US.

Strategically the only thing I see the US government doing is blockading New Orleans. The problem with that is that it will lead o war with French and British who will not take kindly at American interfere in their right to go where they want.

FYI I do think that border states will raise new militias to first protect themselves since they can’t rely of federal government and then some hot head will attack French Louisiana.
I think we may be talking at cross purposes - I'm not suggesting the Anglos will pull a Texas against Louisiana. I'm suggesting the Louisiana rebelling is akin to the Texans revolting against Mexico. Only there is a much larger French population in Louisiana than there were Anglos in Texas (although their enemy is stronger too - if they had the chance to focus on Louisiana).

I agree you can never underestimate the ability of American militia units to start some trouble against the French (Major Washington and Fort Necessity is a case in point)

Also what is the state of France anyway in ttl at the moment? Is it the Orleanist Monarchy, Second Empire, Continued Bourbon Restoration, or a Second Republic?

Opening up Japan right now?
This could crush the potential for a Meiji, the current Imperial figures just aren't as competent as he was.

Japanese Raj?

I think it was mentioned that it was the government of Charles X sending the supplies to Louisiana.
Oh I see. I must have missed that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sārthākā
Do you see the Bourbons being able to survive in ttl? Charles X as unpopular as he became, still easily could have held on to power if he hadn't sent the royalist troops to Algeria. Or you could see Henri V become King instead of Louis-Philippe. This keeps the Bourbons on the throne for legitimacy, avoiding the split between the monarchists and legitimists. Or you could have Napoleon II live and take power in 1830 or even 1848 for a more awesome Second Empire. I can definitely see Napoleon II/Napoleon III supporting the US /Louisiana rebels against the UK.

There are several differences between Quebec (Lower Canada), Texas and French Louisiana.

In case of Lower Canada and Upper Canadá it was not so much a rebellion against Britain like in Texas against Mexico but a rebellion against the way the political and economic elites had taken over the two colonies and were governing them.

The Texas rebellion was about the refusal of English speaking settlers to bow to a Mexican government whom they saw as corrupt not against their own local government since they actually had a lot of autonomy and were for most past left alone. The other major factor was that American settlers population in Texas was considerable larger compared to Spanish population (as a % of the total population) this is not the case in lower Canada or in French Louisiana ittl where the French were majority.

If the Mexican government had the ability to send thousands of Spanish settlers to Texas it would of made the American revolt there more difficult as such they had an advantage that American settlers in French Louisiana do not have.

French Louisiana in 1820s was a crossroads. Another 10 years and the French would be a minority and their influence and power slowly diminish. The time period is actually the last possible time the revolt could happen. If the Americans now faced with two wars fail then their independence is guaranteed. The Americans will pay little attention to Louisiana for the most important goal is subdue the north. The feeling in US would be that once north is subdued then Louisiana will fall the might of the US.

Strategically the only thing I see the US government doing is blockading New Orleans. The problem with that is that it will lead o war with French and British who will not take kindly at American interfere in their right to go where they want.

FYI I do think that border states will raise new militias to first protect themselves since they can’t rely of federal government and then some hot head will attack French Louisiana.
True enough. The 1820s were indeed the last time Louisiana could revolt with having overwhelming demographic domination in their area.

All kinds of craziness.

The addition of the Comanche to the Louisianan cause will shake things up considerably, as will all those French guns and other supplies.

I'm wondering exactly what the British/EIC forces are going to do in Japan, exactly. Send in the gunboats in order to get them to repeal the legislation, or kick the door in and force Japan to open up.
The Comanche will play a big role.no doubt.
The EIC are mostly going for economic reasons really more than anything else.

I think we may be talking at cross purposes - I'm not suggesting the Anglos will pull a Texas against Louisiana. I'm suggesting the Louisiana rebelling is akin to the Texans revolting against Mexico. Only there is a much larger French population in Louisiana than there were Anglos in Texas (although their enemy is stronger too - if they had the chance to focus on Louisiana).

I agree you can never underestimate the ability of American militia units to start some trouble against the French (Major Washington and Fort Necessity is a case in point)
True enough. A good analogy.

Oh I see. I must have missed that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sārthākā
Do you see the Bourbons being able to survive in ttl? Charles X as unpopular as he became, still easily could have held on to power if he hadn't sent the royalist troops to Algeria. Or you could see Henri V become King instead of Louis-Philippe. This keeps the Bourbons on the throne for legitimacy, avoiding the split between the monarchists and legitimists. Or you could have Napoleon II live and take power in 1830 or even 1848 for a more awesome Second Empire. I can definitely see Napoleon II/Napoleon III supporting the US /Louisiana rebels against the UK.
I do have plans for Nappy II, but no he won't take power in France. The French are in for an interesting time.

A British drug cartel sounds epic though
I mean, the IEC already was a drug cartel OTL, this would just be them expanding their influence into Japan.

That said, my limited knowledge in the area makes me feel this is unlikely. The Chinese were very picky about their tea being paid for in either gold or silver, which the British didn't have a lot of. Thus, they sold them opium in exchange for silver, which was then spent on the precious tea.

Given Britain is forcing Japan to open the country, thus likely wouldn't accept a "silver only" trade deal, and tea is already coming from China, it doesn't look like the situation for a Japanese opium market to need to exist.

Though as I said, this isn't my area and I'm willing to be corrected.

How are the rest of the breakaway countries doing? Are the New English going to expand their colonial empire? Is the American Federation/Federation of America a separatist movement or are they trying to break "Slave Power" in America? And I think that the Louisianans would avoid some Anglo resistance by declaring themselves a bilingual Republic of Louisiana/Republique de Louisiane.