The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Dave Shoup

Banned
To the author - Wanted to say how enjoyable this is; nicely done. The "history" tracks with what the Germans did historically, with the obvious change in targets, and the BC government's actions are (essentially) historical (the submarines) and/or track with what went on in roughly the same period in Australia, New Zealand, etc. Also wanted to add the writing is good, with enough detail and characterization to make it enjoyable, but also moving the story forward. I've seen a few minor typos (isn't Connaught with two "n"s, for example?) but nothing major.

You may have already come across this, but there's an excellent source regarding the USN's organization during the Great War; see link below:

https://www.naval-history.net/xGW-United States Navy1917-1918.htm#7

The US Pacific Fleet was organized as a cruiser-centered force at the time, but usually had the majority (six or more) of the "Big 10" ships, which certainly could have given any cruiser smaller than Invincible or Von der Tann a bad day.

Last edited:
My wife Julie picked these up for me at the auction last week for $35.00. "The Great War" I was there, published about 1938/1939 (complete, 51 issues} Takes the war time period by time period with many photographs and personal stories. Do not know if Nurnberg is in that photo.

IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5200.JPG
IMG_5299.jpg

marathag

Banned
Anglican clergy aren't 'reverends', they are priests or ministers. Reverend as a noun is an atrocious American Protestant mangling.
BC was majority Anglican, per the 1911 Census with just over 100k, with the following
Presbyterians 82,125
Roman Catholic 58,937
Methodists 52,132
Lutherans 19,362
Baptists 17,228
Confucians 13,021
Buddhists 9,280
Greek Orthodox 3,574
Congregationalist 2,827
Protestants 2,357
Pagans 1,948
and then a whole bunch of smaller groups.

After the war, led to the creation of the United Church of Canada, with the the Methodists, the Congregational Union of Ontario and Quebec(Congregationalists), much of the Presbyterian Church, and the Association of Local Union Churches(an existing organization of Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches in the Prairie areas) for around 600k members across Canada at that time

Since the population was booming, there were issues of believers in the West not have a Church or Clergy of their own exact Faith, and other would fill in for them

BC was majority Anglican, per the 1911 Census with just over 100k, with the following
Presbyterians 82,125
Roman Catholic 58,937
Methodists 52,132
Lutherans 19,362
Baptists 17,228
Confucians 13,021
Buddhists 9,280
Greek Orthodox 3,574
Congregationalist 2,827
Protestants 2,357
Pagans 1,948
and then a whole bunch of smaller groups.

After the war, led to the creation of the United Church of Canada, with the the Methodists, the Congregational Union of Ontario and Quebec(Congregationalists), much of the Presbyterian Church, and the Association of Local Union Churches(an existing organization of Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches in the Prairie areas) for around 600k members across Canada at that time

Since the population was booming, there were issues of believers in the West not have a Church or Clergy of their own exact Faith, and other would fill in for them

How many Jews if you don't mind me asking?

So they pulled it off with less than 15 minutes before the cruiser cut the lines. This will go down in legend, and if a movie gets made I won't fault the director for portraying them as cutting it by seconds.

I am thinking that there might have been only mere minutes left by the time the message was received by Prince Rupert. Enough time to send an alert to Victoria. Is there enough time to alert the town? Can the Princess Sophia be alerted in time? Will there be a massive freaking out in Victoria? Will a heroic canine appear in this story? Stay tuned, boys and girls!

So they pulled it off with less than 15 minutes before the cruiser cut the lines. This will go down in legend, and if a movie gets made I won't fault the director for portraying them as cutting it by seconds.

Nah the operator on the other end will be in the bathroom and the entire message will end up lost in the ether.

Anglican clergy aren't 'reverends', they are priests or ministers. Reverend as a noun is an atrocious American Protestant mangling.
Not an Anglican myself. I started out calling him a Minister. When I looked up the historical man's name he is described as Rev. James Benjamin McCullagh three times in my source document. Is "Rev." an honourific adjective, but his title still a minister? Like Your Honour for a Judge, or Your Worship for certain mayors? I am fine to change back, and nothing in the story hinges on this detail.

https://www.gent.name/bc:towns:aiyansh

Last edited:
for some of the others

Salvation Army 1,842
Sikhs and Hindus 1,730
Jews 1,384
Shinto 1,277
Agnostics 1,191
Muslim 500
Mormons 332

and 13 listed as 'Holy Rollers'
Thanks for this. I would expect Sikhs to be well represented. Shinto would be Japanese who reported and were not Buddhist or some kind of Christian, or, who knows- agnostic.

" cracked breech block, but that has been welded good as new"

No. You can't do that. Once a gun gets to that degree, its done. There's no welding it up good as new.

No. You can't do that. Once a gun gets to that degree, its done. There's no welding it up good as new.
Spoilers...

They said they did that to that particular gun OTL. But I don't think it got a real good testing.

Spoilers...

They said they did that to that particular gun OTL. But I don't think it got a real good testing.

Come have a cracking good time in our welding class. It's a blast!

Not an Anglican myself. I started out calling him a Minister. When I looked up the historical man's name he is described as Rev. James Benjamin McCullagh three times in my source document. Is "Rev." an honourific adjective, but his title still a minister? Like Your Honour for a Judge, or Your Worship for certain mayors? I am fine to change back, and nothing in the story hinges on this detail.

https://www.gent.name/bc:towns:aiyansh
Well, I know in aus, until recently ( like last 30 or so years) Anglican ministers were generally referred to as "Rev so and so". Many used titles such "Canon", "Rector" or "Vicar" also.