The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Oh, so the big mystery is: Did the Brave Boys get the message out before the hun cut the telegraph lines?

Unfortunately no. They arrived to find the entire town had been eaten by more Grizzlies.

Which I believe is among the top three most common Canadian deaths. Right after OD'ing on Maple Syrup and curling riot.

Driftless

Donor
You forgot about poutine induced heart attacks.

I must have been switched at birth.... I like poutine - at least the versions made with decent ingredients. Of course, I live in Wisconsin, where its practically a law on Friday nights to go out for deep-fried cheese curds, followed by deep-fried cod (or walleye), greasy french fries, chased down with copious amounts of beer and/or noxious brandy old-fashioneds. Similar dietary scheme, mostly a different sequence(minus the gravy of course)

I must have been switched at birth.... I like poutine - at least the versions made with decent ingredients. Of course, I live in Wisconsin, where its practically a law on Friday nights to go out for deep-fried cheese curds, followed by deep-fried cod (or walleye), greasy french fries, chased down with copious amounts of beer and/or noxious brandy old-fashioneds. Similar dietary scheme, mostly a different sequence(minus the gravy of course)

Man the Wisconsin diet has become a lot more healthy then it used to be. I'm pretty sure until the 80's that it was state law everybody had to mainline a pound of IV butter a day.

Man the Wisconsin diet has become a lot more healthy then it used to be. I'm pretty sure until the 80's that it was state law everybody had to mainline a pound of IV butter a day.
Cod in Wisconsin? Odd. I remember eating cod that was in the ocean by night, and served for dinner the next day, caught right off the beach. Be impressive fishing to do that from Wisconsin.

Driftless

Donor
Cod in Wisconsin? Odd. I remember eating cod that was in the ocean by night, and served for dinner the next day, caught right off the beach. Be impressive fishing to do that from Wisconsin.

"Fresh Frozen".... as the marketing description goes.;) The only fresh fish we see, are those you catch and clean yourself.

Aug 1

At the same time, Lieutenant Von Spee on the Prince Rupert had rigged a ship’s boat anchor to a long line, and dragged for the submarine cable connecting the Dominion Wireless Station on Digby Island to the city of Prince Rupert. The search was made easier by a large yellow triangle sign on shore with the text WARNING SUBMARINE CABLE NO ANCHOR. Once they hooked the cable, it was pulled up on deck with the aft capstain, and at 1820 by the Petty Officer’s watch, sailors cut the cable with axes.
What's the point of cutting the submarine cable? Is that where the TransPacific cable lands? Is this cutting Japan off?

Clearly it does nothing to cut Prince Rupert off, as it's connected by rail to the rest of Canada, which means telegraph too.

Edit. Googled TransPacific telegraph cables. The Red Line portion connecting Canada with Australia went from Vancouver Island just north of the tip of the US, not from Prince Rupert.
So, cutting the submarine cable cuts bandwidth available, but not connectivity.

Last edited:
What's the point of cutting the submarine cable? Is that where the TransPacific cable lands? Is this cutting Japan off?

Clearly it does nothing to cut Prince Rupert off, as it's connected by rail to the rest of Canada, which means telegraph too.

Edit. Googled TransPacific telegraph cables. The Red Line portion connecting Canada with Australia went from Vancouver Island just north of the tip of the US, not from Prince Rupert.

Ehh if nothing else it's a nuisance. That's kind of their entire point for what their doing.

That and for the opportunities to hold "Recreational Baby Eating Contests"

marathag

Banned
EATCBrochureMap.jpg

for 1912

The submarine cable allowed the Wireless Station on Digby Island, (probably there because that was the best location for the antenna,) to communicate directly with Downtown Prince Rupert. I'm not sure if that meant an office in Downtown Prince Rupert could automate transmission through the Digby Island Station, or if there would need to be a manual repeat. Dragging the cable interrupts direct communication between Prince Rupert and the transmitter, but does not accomplish a whole lot all by itself.
https://www.gent.name/bc:towns:prince_rupert:digby
https://www.roughradio.ca/Stations-Later/Digby.html
The Transpacific Telegraph cable station on BC's West Coast is at Bamfield. This will be referred to in future chapters. As the above map shows, Bamfield connects to Fanning Island as one leg of the Empire's global telegraph system. San Francisco connects to Honolulu in the American equivalent. OTL the Nurnberg destroyed the Fanning Island station on September 7th, cutting the transpacific telegraph until it was repaired.

Standing orders
Aug 17, Victoria BC.

NSHQ TO HMC DOCKYARD ESQUIMALT LEIPZIG REPORTED IN SANFRANCISCO STOP

NSHQ TO HMC DOCKYARD ESQUIMALT NURNBERG REPORTED IN HONOLULU STOP

“San Francisco Cal. Aug 17– The German cruiser Leipzig, stripped for action, which has been patrolling the coast off this harbor for the last week, entered San Francisco Bay early today and anchored just inside the Golden Gate. The vessel sent word that she desired to communicate with the German Consul.” Victoria Daily Colonist, Aug 17, 1914. page 1.

Premier McBride thought it prudent to have a meeting of cabinet to brief them on war preparedness. He had been accused lately and frequently by the opposition of running a one man show. Present, in addition to Cabinet, were Federal Member of Parliament for Victoria GH Bernard; Captain Trousdale, Ranking Naval Officer, and Colonel Roy, Regional Commander of Militia.

“I need not remind you gentlemen, that we are in a state of war, and the briefing you are about to hear contains military secrets. Please repeat nothing you hear this afternoon outside these walls. Captain Trousdale,” said McBride, “can you enlighten us all on the state of the naval defences?”

“Certainly,” Trousdale replied. “The Rainbow is now fully crewed, and has proper ammunition for her guns. She is engaging in regular patrols at the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, if she is not called away to more urgent duty elsewhere. The two submarines are… teething. But they are fully armed and have full crews and are training at a wartime pace. We have mounted a 6 pounder gun on the forecastle of the lighthouse support ship Estevan, and the fisheries patrol vessels Malaspina and Galiano have a 6 pounder each as well, giving us three additional lightly armed auxiliaries. The Royal Navy cruiser Newcastle is in transit from Singapore via Yokohama, and is expected to arrive September 1st. We also expect Japan to contribute forces from their navy when they enter the war. That, most agree will happen as soon as the 23rd of this month.”

This last item caused much grumbling from the assembled politicians, and the comment, “Well, that is all very well and good, but I hope that does not mean they think we will let more of them immigrate.”

“Yes…” Premier McBride interjected awkwardly. “Colonel Roy, tell us the state of the coastal artillery.”

“Indeed,” said Roy. He looked at his notes. “The Esquimalt Coastal Artillery mobilized the day before the war, and Fortress Esquimalt has two batteries of 6 inch guns at Rodd Hill and McAuley Point, and three batteries of 12 pound anti-torpedo boat guns defending Victoria and Esquimalt harbours. These crews are top notch, I’m sure you are all aware, and have won target shooting ribbons on exchanges to Britain. The Signal Hill Battery of two 9.2 inch guns is more of a pickle. The guns were never installed by the Royal Engineers before they left in 1905, and have only recently been made operable. Training has been hampered by a lack of ammunition. There are only 50 rounds in the magazine. The range finding equipment was never shipped, so the guns are unable to properly find a target at their full range. Furthermore, one gun had part of its recoil mechanism sent to England for repair several months ago, and we have not received it back yet. So only one gun is capable of firing at the moment. We hope to address this soon.”

“How soon?” asked a cabinet minister.

“Soon,” said Roy. “That is all I can tell you.” This also produced grumbling from the politicians.

“In Vancouver harbour,” Roy quickly continued, “we have mounted two naval 4 inch guns on Siwash Point.”

“Crewed by naval reservists,” chimed in Captain Trousdale.

“And the Coberg Heavy Battery,” Roy said, “has emplaced two 60 pound field guns on Point Grey. One of the guns was, unfortunately found to have a cracked breech block, but that has been welded good as new. The other two pieces of the battery are at the 5th Artillery Regiment Armoury in Victoria as a mobile reserve battery for Vancouver Island.”

“We have,” said Trousdale, “a number of 4 inch guns made surplus by the retirement of the Shearwater and Algerine. Two of those are the guns are mounted on Siwash Point. Another pair are currently on board the Princess Sophia, along with naval reservist crews, to be emplaced as coastal guns to defend the harbour of Prince Rupert. We have a committee studying other possible locations for coastal batteries. One possibility is at Sayward, to close Johnstone Strait to any raiders that want to sneak around Vancouver Island by the back door. I believe, Premier McBride, that we will give you updates as these plans solidify.”

“Thank you,” said Premier McBride. “Colonel Roy, please inform us on the status of the militia.”

“Militia is the one resource we have in good supply,” said Roy proudly. “We have currently mobilized seven Infantry Battalions, two Cavalry Battalions, and the Artillery Regiment who are manning the coastal artillery in Fortress Esquimalt. As for deployment, most of the units are on Vancouver Island or in Vancouver, and are engaged in training and drill. All of the Dominion Wireless Stations, the Bamfield Transpacific Cable Station, and certain bridges and port facilities are currently under guard, either by militia units from the mobilized battalions, or by local levies with equipment from their local stores.

“Of our critical seaports, Vancouver and Victoria are well provided for with militia. Nanaimo, Ladysmith, and Union Bay are fortunate to have active militia units still in place keeping order since the great coal strike. Prince Rupert is about to receive a company from the Duke of Conaughts’s Own Rifles, who are embarked on the Princess Sophia along with the coastal artillery contingent.”

Much cross talk followed among the cabinet, complaining about the cost and disruption created by the militia camps in city parks.

“So what will happen,” asked the Minister of Public Works, “if a German cruiser shows up in a port not defended by artillery, and demands coal on the threat of bombardment? Are the militia to stop them with their rifles?”

Colonel Roy answered. “We have issued standing orders for the militia to fire the coal stocks if a raider enters a port. This may be our best actual weapon. Without coal, the Kaiser's war machine will come to a shuddering halt.”

“So, Premier McBride, ” asked the Minister of Finance. “If the Hun shows up we will be ready. Is that what you are saying?”

McBride looked to Tousdale and Roy. “We very much hope so,” he said.

https://archive.org/stream/dailycolonist56y212buvic#mode/1up

Driftless

Donor
Prince Rupert is about to receive a company from the Duke of Conaughts’s Own Rifles, who are embarked on the Princess Sophia along with the coastal artillery contingent.”

Well,.... the timing of this arrival could be interesting....

“So, Premier McBride, ” asked the Minister of Finance. “If the Hun shows up we will be ready. Is that what you are saying?”

McBride looked to Tousdale and Roy. “We very much hope so,” he said.

Whoops!!!

The Brave Boys of Anyox part 9
Aug 17,1745. Aiyansh, BC.

The Nisga’a family landed Magnus and Zacharias at Aiyansh. Then they continued on their way downriver. The boys thanked them, and waved goodbye. Magnus kept eye contact with the baby staring at him until it was too far to tell. The boy’s legs were stiff from sitting curled up in the canoe for hours. But they managed to run to the telegraph office.

Again, the boys learned that both of them shouting their story at the same time rapid-fire was a poor strategy for convincing grown-ups to take them seriously. Magnus tried again at normal speed.

“The German navy is destroying Anyox!” Magnus told the operator. “We just came from there. We saw a big cloud of black smoke and heard the explosions. You need to warn Prince Rupert and the rest of the Province! And get some rescuers to Anyox.”

The telegraph operator said he was busy, and told the boys to go away.

Magnus, for the second time in as many days, was on the verge of tears for his parent’s generation, who were determined to ignore him, and in so doing, seal their own destruction.

“I don’t want to be the one to say that everyone lets you down in the end,” said Zachariaus. “I don’t want that to be the way the world is.”

“OK,” said Magnus, breathing very deliberately. “We need to get a grown-up on our side. What about the Anglican minister? He’s sort of the boss here.”

The boys ran the short distance over to the church. It was not hard to find in a town with one street. The Holy Trinity Church was by far the tallest building in town. As they approached they heard a choir. Women’s voices mostly, but some bass men’s voices as well. They were singing carols. Apparently the choir was preparing for a Christmas concert. The boys treaded lightly as they walked up the steps. Magnus opened the big front door quietly. Before the altar, a choir of forty or so Nisga’a men and women were assembled 4 rows deep, singing, accompanied by a woman on piano. The Minister was directing with his back to the boys. They were in the middle of singing Angels We Have Heard on High. When they got to the Gloria part, the Minister stopped them, and demonstrated the correct phrasing. The sopranos repeated the line back. The Minister said “Good,” and they started again from the beginning of the chorus.

Magnus and Zacharias walked tentatively towards the Minister, hoping to catch his attention. They were intercepted by a warden. Magnus tried to explain in a whisper what they were here for, but the warden firmly shushed him. Magnus protested, still in a whisper. The warden led them outside onto the steps.

“I’m sure whatever you need to say to the Minister can wait until he is free,” said the warden primly.

“It’s very important!” said Magnus.

“I’m sure it is, said the warden, “but it will have to wait.”

“Is there anyone else of authority in the town?” asked Magnus.

“Let me think,” pondered the warden. “There is Constable Phillipson. But he is only here from time to time. He is in Prince Rupert until Thursday.”

“What day is it today?” Magnus asked Zacharias. The warden raised an eyebrow. “Oh, it doesn’t matter,” he continued, “that’s too long anyway. Is there anyone else?”

‘There is Postmaster Priestly,” said the warden. “I think he is attending to his farm today. And The Indian Agent, Mister Perry. He is off doing his rounds this week.”

The warden studied the boys, and decided that whatever their purpose, they seemed serious about it. “I will fetch the Minister for you as soon as he has finished with the choir,” he reassured.

Magnus and Zacharias sat on the church steps whittling green sticks with their knives. The Christmas music seemed completely incongruous with the warm sunny late afternoon. Quite a pile of shavings accumulated on the ground.

“The Greeks have a story about this princess Cassandra,” said Zacharias, still whittling. “She had the power of prophecy, but was cursed so that no one ever believed her. She tried to tell the Trojans about the horse, but they ignored her.”

“That sounds familiar,” said Magnus. “How did it turn out for her?”

Zacharias tried to think of a uplifting way to say her city was destroyed, her family was all killed, everyone involved died in the most horrible way. “It’s just a story.” He said.

The choir had stopped singing.

Magnus stepped up and opened the door. Inside, the choir was gathering their things, and the warden was approaching the Minister. The warden had some words with the Minister, and he turned to look at the door, and saw Magnus standing there. The Minister excused himself, and walked towards the door. He stepped out onto the porch.

“Reverend McCullagh” he introduced himself, shaking both boy’s hands. The boys in turn introduced themselves.

“The Warden says you have something important to tell me. I apologize for making you wait.”

Magnus drew a breath to tell their story in a way the Minister could only believe. The door opened and the choir began to leave the church. Minister McCullagh said good bye and thank you, and shook hands with each one, until all had left the church.

“Sir,” said Magnus, standing very straight. “We have just come overland from Anyox, to bring the warning that the Germans have attacked the town. They must have cut the telegraph cables, because Alice Arm was cut off. We just arrived here, and we tried to get the telegraph operator to send a warning, but he didn’t believe us. We hoped that you would believe us, and convince him to send a message. Lives depend on it!”

Minister McCullagh looked at the boys. They were well dressed, but actually filthy. The Indian boy had sticks in his hair. They smelled strongly of the trail, and of furs. This supported their story of a long wilderness journey. He had no other evidence to support their story. Part of his profession involved being a judge of character. And looking at these boys, they seemed to him to be of excellent character.

“Well then,” he said, “let’s be off to the telegraph office. Not a moment to waste.”

The waves of relief that washed over Magnus were so strong that he felt he would faint, or cry, or both. Instead he smiled at Zacharias and fell in step behind the fast walk of the Reverend.

The minister did not pause at the office door, and by the time the boys got inside, the operator asked, “What do you want me to say?”

“How about ‘Urgent German navy attacking Anyox right now! Send Help!’” said Magnus.

“The cruiser Nürnberg,” said Zacharias.

“Really?” asked the minister.

“He reads a lot of books,” said Magnus.

The operator considered for a moment. “Can you say when the Germans arrived there?” he asked.

Magnus tried to make sense out of the blur of emergencies that had been their last day. He consulted with Zacharias. “After supper last night, maybe 7:00? Yeah, right around 7:00.”

URGENT CRUISER NURNBERG REPORTED ANYOX 1900 HOURS AUG 16 STOP REPORTED TO BE RAVAGING THE TOWN STOP

“Sent. To Prince Rupert telegraph station,” said the operator, brushing his hands together. “And received. They can repeat the message to whomever they see fit.”

“Wow Zach,” said Magnus. “We did it. We did it.”

https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/landing-place-at-aiyansh

https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/holy-trinity-anglican-church-aiyansh

Last edited:
So they pulled it off with less than 15 minutes before the cruiser cut the lines. This will go down in legend, and if a movie gets made I won't fault the director for portraying them as cutting it by seconds.